pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > General Forums > New Paintballers

Old 04-21-2004, 08:22 PM   #1
Ebonclaw
Registered Member

Tips for newbies (Speedball)

First time speedballing? Good. Then I'll cut the crap so I don't lose you.

#1. Don't take your mask off. No matter what. If you don't get suspended from the field, you'll get pulled and set out for a couple of games at least. Field owners cannot afford the liability of having a kid get his eye shot out and it doesn't sound like much fun for the kid either. I don't care if your mask fogs, you get hit, you get gogged, you can't see out of it, DO NOT TAKE THE MASK OFF. If you do, I have every right to call you "Pirate Jack" if I ever meet you and make funny pirate voices.

#2. Barrel plug in when you're off the field. You're apt to forget your safety, but even if you don't there, is not one person on these forums that has not accidentally set his gun off, if only because someone was messing with the gun and accidentally flipped the safety back off. Fields also strictly enforce this rule.

#3. Chrono in at the field's speed limit or less. Shooting hot is not only dangerous because speeds past 300 FPS are enough to break finger bones at close range, as well as shatter a slightly damaged mask, but experienced players will know if you're shooting hot and will consequently beat the crap out of you for it.

#4. I'm not gonna say something like "go have fun" because you're reading this for playing help on your first time. The thing I hate more than anything about some new players is THEY DO NOT MOVE. Period. They sit in the back bunker and shoot clear across the field whilst my opponents are laughing as the balls bounce off of them at thier feet and continue to send 14 balls pers econd, if I'm lucky, my way. I remember a post by another guy that commented how much he liked gutsy newbs. he said they were like homing missles...tell them to go bunker a guy and fwoooosh....they're off. Gutsy newbies learn things, help the game, and don't havea sucky time by watching all your team get shot out from the back bunker and then have seven guys come to take you out.

#5. Same as #4, simply because I usually have to repeat myself on the field. MOVE DAMMIT!

#6. If you get scared, that's normal, just rmember, no one has ever died from being hit with a paintball. Not the pros that take 14 shots to the body point blank in all the games they have ever played, not you.

#7. Please don't wear camo. Camo is for woods. that's when I wear camo. i don't wear camo for speedball, it's not the place, and you will look ridiculous and be singled out for it. Not to mention you aren't gonna blend in with much of anything in Tiger Stripe. I got nothing against wearing camo and I do it in the woods myself, but there is a time and a place. Wear some baggy cargos, I prefer heavy denim....lots of pockets for squeegees and stuff are nice, but heavy denim means you won't have to wear a cup, the denim takes most of the imapact. Wear a jersey if you got one. Pros and otehrs wear these not just because they are comfortable, but because you can cover your arms without burning up in the heat. Just because pros have taken more than their fair shar of bunker shots to the arms that have broken skin doesn't mean they like it.

#8. If the field rules say no bunkering, then don't bunker. That rule is there to protect YOU the new guy, from getting royally owned. Bunkering someone else is gonna really piss them off because odds are, if that rule wasn't in place, theyd've done it to you a long time ago.

#9. Be friendly. Not snotty. Don't talk trash like everyone else until they know you, like you, and you can back it up. At the very least, you can't back it up right now. Most regualrs will be happy to help with any questions you've got and asking someone about their gun is a good way to make friends, as people are very proud of the guns they shoot, maintain, and in some cases build.

#10. COMMUNICATE. It helps to learn some lingo before you head out to a speedball field. When your teammate tells you "He's in the left back can!" it's nice to know what he means. And don't be silent. I don't care if you're yelling about your grandmother, when people played on my team they needed to be talking all game. If the other guy farts, I want to hear about it. Reloads? Let me know. Moved? Let me know. Still in the same position? Then remind me, and tell me where everyone else is while you're at it.
Don't whisper and don't give me any puberty voice chagning. Yell loudly, but more importantly, yell clearly. Your throat should be haorse by the end of the day if you're doing it right. If you're hit, yell "hit" loudly, so your guys at least know that now there's no one watching the left tapeline. I hated it when my teammates whispered it, because I never heard them amidst the gunfire, and the other team just ran right through the big hole that I didn't know wasn't there and shot me in the back.

#11. Don't poke your gun out a bunker and spray. Look at where you're shooting. The refs will greatly appreciate it, and you never know if some other new kid hasn't read this and taken his mask off and you're blindly firing away. Not to mention it's a good way to get taken out.

#12. If using the surrender rule, and some guy mugs you and tells you to surrender, you don't have a snowball's chance in hell most likely, so don't make him shoot you point blank and get everyone upset at the poor guy. He's being nice by not giving you a whelp the size of New York your first time out.

#13. Play by the rules of the field. I don't care if you and your buddies have always played gun/hopper hits don't count. in speedball, they do, and there's a reason. Respect it, and you'll probably learn to like it.

#14. Don't wipe. If the field owner or the ref doesn't catch you and make sure you don't come back, at some fields, the players will. However, an honest person is usually smiled upon, even by pros that cheat themselves. You have a clean reputation, regardless of what you did in woodsball. Don't mess it up.

#15. Don't shoot your own team. This is real easy to not do on a speedball field, even if you don't know a single person. Your team is gonna have their backs to you and be REAL EASY to hit. The other team is gonna be facing you unless they've run past you, at which case you either noticed or you didn't and it doesn't matter because it'll be over real quick. This seems like something SO EASY and yet it happens to me all the time.

Most new players, and myself, had a hard tie learning to communicate. but if you wanna make friends and sound like you have at least half a clue, learn from my mistake. Anyone out there will be like "Wow....cool, he's talking it up even though he's never played before....sweet."

Now you can go have fun.

"Accuracy by volume is still accuracy nonetheless."
Ebonclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:45 AM   #2
Danman69
Hammer Time!

Send a message via AIM to Danman69
This is a great post! Sticky!

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=139600<My Feedback
Danman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:50 AM   #3
nerdcore
Legend

a lot of this has been said over & over but it's about time someone stated them all in one convenient thread.

edit: guess i should add this, since it's now in the Ultimate Sticky & more people (hopefully) will see it:

There are no snipERS in paintball but there is snipING. Hitting someone without their knowledge of where it came from can be considered sniping. Also, this is more or less a team sport; using the word "sniper" would be similar to "loner," and loners are usually the ones that never get anywhere.

That should save everyone the embarrassment of pretending to be a covert commando, regardless of what type of paintball they're playing.

Last edited by nerdcore : 04-22-2004 at 12:47 PM.
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:58 AM   #4
HurleyHero67
Accomplished Exile

Location: Radford during the school year, but Richmond is home.
Send a message via AIM to HurleyHero67 Send a message via Yahoo to HurleyHero67
Awesome Ebon. Everything in there I can relate to experiences (bad ones) from years ago. So this is definetly valuable info to any newb planning on playing speedball.

Another thing, I don't care if you've been playing woodsball for a century, speedball is a totally different game and your first time out you can look like you just bought your first marker yesterday.
HurleyHero67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 10:53 AM   #5
drinkerofblood

Send a message via AIM to drinkerofblood
great work on this man

i needed this a couple of weeks ago!

to Spyder Imagine: i got it!!!
to eGGy II: it is mine!!!

AIM me at Wolf Lord Sven
drinkerofblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 11:42 AM   #6
timmyfreaker
Eatin Lamb

Send a message via AIM to timmyfreaker
Is this going to be stickied? If it isnt Im going to crawl under my bed and cry

Quote:
Originally posted by Caleb98
Timmy Freaker once set a man on fire...why????...Because his hair was untidy...I should know...I WAS THERE!!!!!!!!!!
timmyfreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 12:30 PM   #7
Codestar20
Registered Member

I already put it in the Ultimate Sticky thread. Relax people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy360
Codestar's a friggin' babe.
Codestar20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 03:29 PM   #8
amzng_spyderman
Legend

seems to me like 7 and 8 are the only ones that really apply to speedball alone

"Fossil fuels are finite, but idiots are a renewable resource."
amzng_spyderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 03:46 PM   #9
Calebd2
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Calebd2
Concerning #2

Pay a couple extra bucks and buy a barrel condom. Barrel plugs DO NOT work and many fields are outlawing them (mine has). I was recently shot in the back with a barrel plug because it wasn't strong enough. Cut me up real nice.

I'm done.

Good article Ebon.
Calebd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 09:24 AM   #10
KLG_paintballer
paint-bawla

I've played speedball a few times and i must say, great job on the thread. Now n00bs can have some fun. I'm coming over to play u right now.

HA HA..... coming

P.S. why do a lot of u have the word moderator in ur profile?
KLG_paintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 02:11 PM   #11
amzng_spyderman
Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by KLG_paintballer

P.S. why do a lot of u have the word moderator in ur profile?
moderators are the forum police/garbagemen. when you're at the main forum page, scroll all the way to the bottom and click forum leaders. that's us.

"Fossil fuels are finite, but idiots are a renewable resource."
amzng_spyderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 03:25 AM   #12
KLG_paintballer
paint-bawla

Thats cool.
KLG_paintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 09:54 AM   #13
Durandal
Paintball Magnet

Send a message via AIM to Durandal
Concerning #1:

My feild seems to have adopted a "If your mask isn't on you will get hurt" policy. IE: the ref will run over and tackle you.
Durandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 07:10 PM   #14
paintballer42o
These days...

Send a message via AIM to paintballer42o
Just a thing for those newbies to remember:
Off the break, dont sit back where everyone crowds. Move up beyond the crowds.

Good work, Ebon.
josh_hill, puck_316
spyderman014, tippycustom, chadolf, dcdude, paintballer42o, chunkymonkey, p8ntmaster
Detroit Strange fan #1
InSoMnIac Member #11
PwnzorchreK
paintballer42o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 08:38 PM   #15
_ex0dus_
Hey

Send a message via AIM to _ex0dus_
thanks
There is a reason why they call me "man boobs" at school
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_ex0dus_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 04:24 AM   #16
CockerKiller000

For any n00bs that read this thread: MOVE!!!!!!! i help n00bs learn how to play paint ball, but they do fine except the moving part. It really pisses me off. You are going to get hurt alot worse if you dont move! people will know where you are, and they will have time to get a clar shot at you. get your teammates to shoot a couple rounds of cover fire, and let them know where youre going. Since your a n00b, your teammates that have played, may know where you should go, better than you. one more thing. Learn from your own mistakes. n00bs usually think that they can only mess up once. dont try the same thing if you are not sure it is going to work. try things that other people arent. Be different, that is what will help your team the most. if your whole team goes up the right flank, go the other way. dont be afraid of getting shot.
CockerKiller000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 11:54 AM   #17
PBallWonder
Nice coconuts

About the thing you said about camo, ive been playen for about 3 seasons and have warn camo to the field every time. the reason is that 3 out of the 5 fields anr in the woods 1 in a sandy pit and the other one is speed ball. lots of people wear camo and i see nothing wrong with it unless you go overboard with it. all i wear is a pair of big baggy camo geans form wal-mart (a good price too, 9.99$) and an army jacket my dad used to wear when he was in the army. when i go on to the speed bell field i dont feel stupid, and people dont even care.believe it or not ive actully enspired some people that felt stupid in camo wear it! and at my parc my nic name is "Commander Camo" and lots of noobs think its funny and others think its intimidating. no offence but ur camo section compleatly sucked.
PBallWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 03:14 PM   #18
shoebag2000
one of these days

Send a message via AIM to shoebag2000
omfg, not another camo argument. if you wanna wear camo, then nobody is gonna stop you. if you wanna look cool to people who wear made for pball gear, then wear made for pball gear. if you wanna look cool to people who wear camo, then wear camo.

camo argument over!
Your penar will begin to grow and begin to resemble a bear
Originally posted by No_DAMN_NAMES
I saw an elephant pee once. Killed a horse.
Originally posted by mork321
Drill holes in everyones head then write LOL on them and run away...
Originally posted by TippmannPhreak
If you peed really, really hard, it wouldn't break up. You know, like when you piss so hard it hurts.
shoebag2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 05:57 PM   #19
PBallWonder
Nice coconuts

lol no S**T i always hate fighting over what people wear because its almost like raceisem (sry for the sepeling but im too lazy to use a dictionary) but ive got nothing against paintball jersys because they do look cool but i seriously think they should only be worn by teams that are sponsered by that company. anyway im just trying to say to the noobs that wearing camo isent stupid and doesent makes u look stupid. (unless u overdo it or use it on a field that is strictly speedball.
PBallWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 11:05 AM   #20
spyder_king06
Killing For Badlands

Send a message via AIM to spyder_king06 Send a message via MSN to spyder_king06
Good post Ebon. All new players should read that.