pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Specific Marker Forums > Smart Parts > Impulse

Old 04-22-2004, 05:06 PM   #1
toothpastedog

Send a message via AIM to toothpastedog Send a message via Yahoo to toothpastedog
What's A Solenoid

Kid-Mike the G, please infor me to as what is it a solenoid does?
Mike the G-Okay:

If you have ever played around with a cocker you will know what a 3-way is. Any solenoid valve (I will refer to it as just a solenoid, but there are really two main types, solenoid valves and solenoid pistons-the solenoid pistons are what operate the sear in a e-grip spyder) is basically a super super charged 3-way that can cycle super super fast (the 3-way in a cocker can only cycle as fast as you can move it-it is limited, even when set up perfectly with the best parts, at about a max of 14bps). The solenoid can be likened to the heart of an impulse (or angel or bushmaster, or Viking (sob), or Excalibur (sob), or intimidator, or shocker (new or older versions) or Ö), while the internals could be considered the muscle and the circuit board could be considered the brain.

A solenoid is what begins the firing process on impulses. When the gun fires, a signal is sent to the solenoid (it is actually called a solenoid valve, but I will just call it a solenoid) and the solenoid opens and sends a burst of air behind the ram which pushes the hammer/bolt (the bolt is connect to the hammer by a bolt pin) forward. Then the solenoid closes and sends a burst of air to the front of the ram sending it shooting backwards and thus moving the hammer/bolt back into "cocked" position.

In an impulse, what happens when the trigger is pushed it this:
1) A micro switch is activated which sends an electrical pulse to the circuit board which in turn sends another signal to the solenoid to open it's valve.
2) The solenoid valve opens and sends a burst of air to an air cavity behind the ram and the air wants to expand and so it pushes the ram forward. The hammer (the ram is screwed into the ram, so when the ram moves forward, so does the hammer) is connected to the bolt by means if a bolt pin.
3) Then, at exactly the same time, the hammer hits the gunís main valve, opening it which sends a burst of air out to the paintball threw the bolt and the bolt pushes a ball past the detent (commonly referred to as ball dents, they keep the gun from double feeding) and into/out the barrel.
4) Then the solenoid (after a set amount of time, normally around 10 milliseconds depending on what the dwell (dwell=how long the hammer holds the main valve open=how much air is put behind the paintball=fps) is set at, shoots a burst of air to an air cavity in front of the ram and the hammer is pull back from the main valve (which closes due to a spring which forces it close) and also pulls the bolt back at the same time which lets another ball fall into the breach ready to be fired.

kid-wow, i didn't get none of dat
Mike the G-i know...

also:

smarter kit-well, if there is air infront of the ram pushing it back, then air behind it too, wouldn't nothing happen because they're both at like the same psi or something?
Mike the G- read this:

When the valve in the solenoid moves to redirect the air flow to the back of the ram (to push it forward) that same valve opens, the seal infront of the ram letting the air holding it back to escape.

P.S.-thanks Vw Billabong wV for the idea and thanks to OmG Im DaN aka Exhale!!!

Mike the G
IQ Paintball
Here are some comments made by satisfied questioners:
"im glad to know there are real helpful people in these forums as yourself, i give my thanks." IMPULSE2ME
"You know some much about impys i'm starting to think that u are an impy!"-VwBillabongwV
"Ok, thats it... I cant take it any longer. How do you do it toothpastedog!?!? Do you have the Impulse manual tatooed to your chest..."-SPPaintball
"Holy Crap i just learned alot right there, i feel 30% smarter."-master_chadwick
"That's like asking the Pope if he knows who God is. TPD knows everything, including the meaning of life, which he will not share with us because our simple minds couldn't comprehend it." -nos911
"Yes, Toothpastedog is the official Impulse gangster (tm)" -Mai Thai man (SuperBeaner)
"I care, Mike....(dramatic pause)....i care..."-Master_Chadwick
"lol wow mike u really are a G...hahhahhahhahhahhaha
what a pimp " -wanabe TOSA
"We dont have to post to do our job, especially with people like TPD around." -wolverine
toothpastedog, come to Canada right now.-MBPG
Mystery Gun?
IMPULSE FAQ
Oww Owww Quiting

Last edited by toothpastedog : 04-22-2004 at 06:06 PM.
toothpastedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 05:12 PM   #2
Vw Billabong wV
1 0wn5 j00

Send a message via AIM to Vw Billabong wV
noooooooo problemo for the idea
  • Blue I-frame
  • clear dye panel grips (shexy)
  • slick shot ram
  • mid-weight hammer
  • rip valve
  • new designs equalizer bolt
  • ti pull pin

coming soon:
lpr/ans kit
freak kit
was board
new annodizing(i want a fade)

The Gear:
  • Dye 04 Proto Mask
  • Redz 4 pod comfort pack with 2 clear and 2 blue dye speed pods

I <3 TOOTHPASTEDOG
Vw Billabong wV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 05:58 PM   #3
exhale
I <3 Toothpastedog & SP

Send a message via AIM to exhale
HAH! i feel so special now!

me: where does the air behind the hammer go after the air infront of it pushed it back>?
me: back to the reg?
me: and how does the air infron of it push it back if both the air in front of the hammer and the air behind the hammer are at the same pressure (like 150 psi)?
NDZ Equilizer Bolt
NDZ Halo B No Rise
NDZ Ti Pull pin
NDZ Detents
Dye Stickies
45/45 Crossfire

I LOVE TOOTHPASTEDOG <3
I LOVE DR. J <3

http://www.pbreview.com/forums/showt...pagen umber=1
http://www.akalmp.com/stickers-1.wmv
Quote:
Originally posted by gusdog849
Quote:
First of all its the EQUALIZER board not WAS
Quote:
Originally posted by toothpastedog
yeh, stop smoking pot or slamming heroin and use your god damn drug money to buy a nitro tank...
exhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 06:58 PM   #4
master_chadwick
Tom The Megaton Bomb

Send a message via AIM to master_chadwick
will somebody get toothpastedog a sandwich? he's willing to share his knowledge, why won't someone share with him their sandwich?

.......i would but i ate mine already
master_chadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:16 PM   #5
Dr J
Truth Seeker, Lie Destroy

Send a message via AIM to Dr J Send a message via Yahoo to Dr J
Good job Toothpastedog.

It should also be noted that some guns also use a "2-way" solenoid. The old Shocker, the Spyder EM-1, and I think the Bushy use one. It works in basically the same way except that there is only one path for the air to travel to.

3-way
- at rest - air flows to one direction
- during cycle - air flows to other direction while air vents from first direction
- at rest, again - air flows to the first direction whil air vents from the second direction.

2-way
- at rest - no air transfer, (venting only)
- during cycle - air flows through solenoid
- at rest, again - no air transfer, vents from solenoid.

It's like a three way that only goes in one direction on and off.

I only mention this because I have seen guys try and fix an Impulse with a Shocker 2-way solenoid.

Useless trivia... part I
-- the "5-way valve"

The "3-way" on an autococker is actually a "5-way".

It's given it's name for the three easily seen air passageways leading to hoses, which lead to the lpr and ram.

the middle is the input from the lpr, and the front and back lead to the ram.

But what you don't see is the exhaust. Out the front and back of the three way, air escapes when it switches positions.

So there are actually 5 ways the air travels....

1. Input from LPR.
2. Output/return to/from Ram, on the front.
3. Output/return to/from Ram, on the back.
4. Exhaust from the back.
5. Exhaust from the front.

If you here someone say a "4-way" they also mean a cocker 3-way/5-way. They are counting both exhausts as one.

Useless trivia... part II
-- the "14-way valve"

If you here someone talk about older Angels, you may here them say, "14-way valve". The reason for this is that the original Angels has much different Solenoid valves that had 14 air passageways. They still operated the exact same way, but they had multiple passageways for each direction to aid in airflow. Eventualy (with the first LCD models) WDP went to the style solenoid used now.

(That's right fools, Doc Jay is back!)
Dr J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:17 PM   #6
Dr J

Quote:
Originally posted by master_chadwick
will somebody get toothpastedog a sandwich?
.......i would but i ate mine already
Sorry, I had fish and chips tonight.

Old 04-22-2004, 07:26 PM   #7
toothpastedog

Send a message via AIM to toothpastedog Send a message via Yahoo to toothpastedog
thanks you your majesty. j/k thanks for the little, or should i say rather large add ons. thanks for offering the sandwich, wanna mail one to me or somethin?

Mike the G
IQ Paintball
"im glad to know there are real helpful people in these forums as yourself, i give my thanks." IMPULSE2ME
"You know some much about impys i'm starting to think that u are an impy!"-VwBillabongwV
"Ok, thats it... I cant take it any longer. How do you do it toothpastedog!?!? Do you have the Impulse manual tatooed to your chest..."-SPPaintball
"Holy Crap i just learned alot right there, i feel 30% smarter."-master_chadwick
"That's like asking the Pope if he knows who God is. TPD knows everything, including the meaning of life, which he will not share with us because our simple minds couldn't comprehend it." -nos911
"Yes, Toothpastedog is the official Impulse gangster (tm)" -Mai Thai man (SuperBeaner)
"We dont have to post to do our job, especially with people like TPD around." -wolverine
Mystery Gun?
IMPULSE FAQ
Oww Owww Quiting
Old 04-22-2004, 07:59 PM   #8
master_chadwick
Tom The Megaton Bomb

if i knew your adress toothpaste i most deffinetly would send you a sandwich of you choosing.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:08 PM   #9
toothpastedog

thanks man, so how's the werm deal going?

Mike the G
IQ Paintball
Mystery Gun?
IMPULSE FAQ
Oww Owww Quiting
Old 04-22-2004, 08:37 PM   #10
SPPaintball
Smart Parts

Well, that would be REALLY helpful, but I allready know what a solenoid is

Quote:
Originally posted by Caleb98
I would have pimp smacked the kid with my pimp hand...it's too strong for any mortal to withstand...
Quote:
Originally posted by MaLfUnCtIoN
which one was the male in that? i'm having trouble grasping the concept. i figure vcr would prolly be the female but then again a tv is more loud and can be annoying so that could...
SPPaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:40 PM   #11
Dr J

Quote:
Originally posted by SPPaintball
Well, that would be REALLY helpful, but I allready know what a solenoid is
lol, jack arse....

Old 04-22-2004, 08:48 PM   #12
SPPaintball
Smart Parts

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr J

lol, jack arse....
lmfao

Quote:
I would have pimp smacked the kid with my pimp hand...it's too strong for any mortal to withstand...
Quote:
which one was the male in that? i'm having trouble grasping the concept. i figure vcr would prolly be the female but then again a tv is more loud and can be annoying so that could...
Old 04-23-2004, 05:49 AM   #13
DragonX8806
-Impulse-

Send a message via AIM to DragonX8806
oh crap, i still have a lot to learn.... owell its all good.
nothing bad about that.
---------------------------
Useful Links
http://pbreview.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=149082&highlight=how+to +get+sponsor
----------------------------------
Waiting to buy:

Blue Halo B w/ Rip Drive
HPA Crossfire 68ci/3000psi
Blue Vision Impulse, w/ blade trigger and vertical reg.

After, a ND delrin bolt
Blue Low Rise Twister Feed
W.A.S. Equilizer Board
-----------------------------------
DragonX8806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 10:10 AM   #14
master_chadwick
Tom The Megaton Bomb

Quote:
thanks man, so how's the werm deal going?
Actually i got my bolts and stuff today so i'm totally stoked gonna go get my tank filled and mess around in the backyard with it. (its gonna be a safe messing around) so that'll be my fun time for today. i need a new allen wrentch set to adjust my new trigger though. i'll write up some reviews after all this so i can be more descriptive.

and again great jaerb on the noid stuff.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:37 PM   #15
SPPaintball
Smart Parts

Quote:

Actually i got my bolts and stuff today so i'm totally stoked gonna go get my tank filled and mess around in the backyard with it. (its gonna be a safe messing around) so that'll be my fun time for today. i need a new allen wrentch set to adjust my new trigger though. i'll write up some reviews after all this so i can be more descriptive.

and again great jaerb on the noid stuff.
was that a typo, or do you like homestarrunner too? lol

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-23-2004, 02:40 PM   #16
master_chadwick
Tom The Megaton Bomb

i am indeed taking some slang from Coach Z himself So as the Shctinnka man would say (also known as bubs) shut up kid
Old 04-23-2004, 02:54 PM   #17
SPPaintball
Smart Parts

Quote:
i am indeed taking some slang from Coach Z himself So as the Shctinnka man would say (also known as bubs) shut up kid
lmao

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-24-2004, 05:17 PM   #18
Awhislyle
I hold the conch!

Send a message via ICQ to Awhislyle Send a message via AIM to Awhislyle Send a message via MSN to Awhislyle Send a message via Yahoo to Awhislyle Send a message via Skype™ to Awhislyle
heh i thoiught angels still used 14-way solenoids, im getting too old for this stuff
Old 04-24-2004, 09:59 PM   #19
Dr J

Quote:
Originally posted by Awhislyle
heh i thoiught angels still used 14-way solenoids, im getting too old for this stuff
how old are you?

I'm only 23.

Old 04-25-2004, 09:11 AM   #20
toothpastedog

hehe, gramps

Mike the G
IQ Paintball
Mystery Gun?
IMPULSE FAQ
Oww Owww Quiting