pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Specific Marker Forums > Smart Parts > Impulse

View Poll Results: What is your favorite reg?
Smart Parts Maxflo reg (horizontal and vert models) 46 54.76%
Centerflag\'s Hyperflow reg 2 2.38%
AKA\'s Sidewinder reg 13 15.48%
CP\'s Grip reg 14 16.67%
MacDev\'s 04 Gladiator reg 2 2.38%
Palmer\'s Fatty reg 3 3.57%
Other 4 4.76%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2004, 04:59 PM   #1
toothpastedog

Send a message via AIM to toothpastedog Send a message via Yahoo to toothpastedog
Post HPA Tank/Reg. FAQ

-What is the right kind of hpa (nitro) tank for my impulse?

To answer that i will explain what tanks don't mix well with impulses. Any screw-in preset tank that is "low pressure" with an output of 600psi or less is not for an impulse. their output is not suited very well for the maxflo, which needs a 650-1000psi input to function at its best. so if you buy a tank, do not buy a "low pressure" nitro tank.

-But arn't adjustible tanks low pressure too/i though they were better?

They are only better because they, well, at least most of them, have a better flow that is also more consistant than the majority of preset screw-in tanks. also, just to specify this, the "adjustible" nitro tanks are not actually adjustible, but rather the regulator on them is, so when i say adjustible tank or screw-in preset tank, i am reffering to the reg on them. since adjustible tanks-like the maxflo 4500psi system-are adjustible, their output can be set to vertually any psi under 1000. with an impulse that has a maxflo reg on it, the best output for your tank is about 600psi.

-Do i have to use an on/off with my screw in tank?

No, if you don't want to spend the money you don't have to get one. they are only a safe guard-smart parts suggests using one because it makes it a lot harder to over pressureize the solenoid when you screw your tank in. again though considering the impulse doesn't comes with one means it is not nessisary, but like a new trigger and bolt, i do highly suggest buying one.

-I already have a low pressure screw in tank though, what can i do?

Well, if you don't want to spend any more money, it shouldn't be too much of a problem, but if you have the money it is a good idea to buy a new inline regulator. now since impulses run from 100-300psi (normally 125-200psi) you need a very consistant reg that also has very high flow.

What are some cool TPD suggested inline regs for my impulse that will work as well or better than my stock maxflo?

The Custom Products "Grip" inline regulator works very well, but since it doesn't have that high a flow rate, you should not buy this if you have a tank that has low flow-crossfire or pmi (although pmi tanks will vary). it also has a good msrp, retailing at about 70$

Akalmp's (now patented, ha, take that smart parts, ) "Sidewinder" regulator is the BEST inline reg out there hands down. the only downside is its price, normally costing 90$

MacDev's new "04 Gladiator" work quite well also. This inline regulator has a higher flow than its predecessors and it is very adjustible/accurate (psi wise), while also being reliable. it normally costs 80$

Centerflag's "Hyperflow" inline reg works really well also. it has the highest flow of any reg out there and is also very accurate. it normally retails for about 80$

A newer reg to Palmer's "Fatty" regulator. This is the most reliable inline reg out there and has a good flow rate, while also being very consistant. at like 80$ it works great.

-Is it worth me buying a new tank with a "high pressure" output if i already have a lp tank?

Definitely not, a lp tank will work "fine." a new reg will make the gun work a little better and is something to consider.

-Are there any other reasons to buy a new inline regulator?

Yes, size a wieght. The stock maxflo is HUGE, ugly, and very heavey. My sidewinder doesn't just wieghts about1 1/3 as much as the stock maxflo, but is it also about half as tall, making my gun a lot shorter.

-What are some good tank brands?

Well, PE tanks seem to work well, as do Crossfires. My favorite tanks are anything made by Centerflag and Nitroduck though.

Mike the G
IQ Paintball
Here are some comments made by satisfied questioners:
"im glad to know there are real helpful people in these forums as yourself, i give my thanks." IMPULSE2ME
"You know some much about impys i'm starting to think that u are an impy!"-VwBillabongwV
"Ok, thats it... I cant take it any longer. How do you do it toothpastedog!?!? Do you have the Impulse manual tatooed to your chest..."-SPPaintball
"Holy Crap i just learned alot right there, i feel 30% smarter."-master_chadwick
"That's like asking the Pope if he knows who God is. TPD knows everything, including the meaning of life, which he will not share with us because our simple minds couldn't comprehend it." -nos911
"Yes, Toothpastedog is the official Impulse gangster (tm)" -Mai Thai man (SuperBeaner)
"I care, Mike....(dramatic pause)....i care..."-Master_Chadwick
"lol wow mike u really are a G...hahhahhahhahhahhaha
what a pimp " -wanabe TOSA
"We dont have to post to do our job, especially with people like TPD around." -wolverine
toothpastedog, come to Canada right now.-MBPG
Mystery Gun?
IMPULSE FAQ
Oww Owww Quiting

Last edited by toothpastedog : 12-29-2004 at 08:56 AM.
toothpastedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 06:53 PM   #2
flynny

Re: HPA Tank/Reg. FAQ

Quote:
Originally posted by toothpastedog
-What is the right kind of hpa (nitro) tank for my impulse?

To answer that i will explain what tanks don't mix well with impulses. Any screw-in preset tank that is "low pressure" with an output of 600psi or less is not for an impulse. their output is not suited very well for the maxflo, which needs a 650-1000psi input to function at its best. so if you buy a tank, do not buy a "low pressure" nitro tank.
thats not right i have a low pressure tank on my vert max-flo and it works fine it puts out 450-500 and it works great, they say that as long as the pressure is above 400 it will work fine not 650
Old 05-12-2004, 06:57 PM   #3
toothpastedog

Send a message via AIM to toothpastedog Send a message via Yahoo to toothpastedog
right, i said it wasn't a big issue if you use a "low pressure tank" but you will get better performance with a tank that has an output of between 650-1000psi-i actually have done a test on that. the performance increase isn't that big, just a couple more shots/fill and a little bit more consistancy, the point of my writing this post is to inform people that if they are deciding between a high pressure and low pressure output tank to buy the high pressure output tank. again, you are right, a lp tank will work "fine" but a hp tank works better-i never said a lp tank will not work. i will edit my first post to make this more obvious.

Mike the G
IQ Paintball
"im glad to know there are real helpful people in these forums as yourself, i give my thanks." IMPULSE2ME
"You know some much about impys i'm starting to think that u are an impy!"-VwBillabongwV
"Ok, thats it... I cant take it any longer. How do you do it toothpastedog!?!? Do you have the Impulse manual tatooed to your chest..."-SPPaintball
"Holy Crap i just learned alot right there, i feel 30% smarter."-master_chadwick
"That's like asking the Pope if he knows who God is. TPD knows everything, including the meaning of life, which he will not share with us because our simple minds couldn't comprehend it." -nos911
"Yes, Toothpastedog is the official Impulse gangster (tm)" -Mai Thai man (SuperBeaner)
"We dont have to post to do our job, especially with people like TPD around." -wolverine
Mystery Gun?
IMPULSE FAQ
Oww Owww Quiting
Old 05-12-2004, 07:04 PM   #4
SPPaintball
Smart Parts

I vote sidewinder . . . just watch you get a sticky on this, would this be your 4th sticky?

Quote:
Originally posted by Caleb98
I would have pimp smacked the kid with my pimp hand...it's too strong for any mortal to withstand...
Quote:
Originally posted by MaLfUnCtIoN
which one was the male in that? i'm having trouble grasping the concept. i figure vcr would prolly be the female but then again a tv is more loud and can be annoying so that could...
SPPaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 07:08 PM   #5
toothpastedog

it would be my 6th sticky .

Mike the G
IQ Paintball
Mystery Gun?
IMPULSE FAQ
Oww Owww Quiting
Old 11-17-2004, 04:20 PM   #6
dilly man 2
Do your part

Talking

so what kind of tank should i get.?? i plan on buyin a impulse. so you recomend a on/off valve for tank, 800psi preset tank. i was looking at a ACI 68ci 4500psi tank preset at 800psi or around that with a on/off is that a good tank?
dilly man 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 04:21 PM   #7
toothpastedog

that would be literally perfect

Mike the G
IQ Paintball
Mystery Gun?
IMPULSE FAQ
Oww Owww Quiting
Old 11-17-2004, 04:23 PM   #8
dilly man 2
Do your part

KOOL ur my hero. is aci a good tank i heard good things but since u know it all i thought id ask you thanks!!
Old 11-17-2004, 04:27 PM   #9
toothpastedog

yeh, they, on average, work very very very well

Mike the G
IQ Paintball
Mystery Gun?
IMPULSE FAQ
Oww Owww Quiting
Old 11-17-2004, 04:39 PM   #10
dilly man 2
Do your part

what is the best internal configuration??? i want a light delrin bolt, but then will i need a heavier brass hammer? i also want that 87$$ upgrade lol i dont know the name of it but i read about it and theres better air iffecentcy right??.. i dont know how to spell! or what do you think the best inernal combo in your opinion. like what bolt with what hammer with what other internal. TY
Old 11-17-2004, 04:59 PM   #11
toothpastedog

Stubby Equalizer Bolt
Stock Aluminum hammer
RIP valve
Silk Shot Ram
WAS Equalizer Board
Titanium Bolt Pin
LPR Kit of VFF/HFV (doesn't matter, both would do the trick)

a SP lpr kit will cost about 87$, and if setup properly, it will give a stock impulse about 400 more shots per tank.

Mike the G
IQ Paintball
Mystery Gun?
IMPULSE FAQ
Oww Owww Quiting
Old 11-17-2004, 05:09 PM   #12
dilly man 2
Do your part

ty your are my savior, i will take all of this in mind!!
Old 11-17-2004, 08:21 PM   #13
toothpastedog

my pleasure

Mike the G
IQ Paintball
Mystery Gun?
IMPULSE FAQ
Oww Owww Quiting
Old 11-18-2004, 02:27 PM   #14
impypballer
Frontman team, Xtremefish

Send a message via AIM to impypballer
what is so bad about pmi tanks besides the leaking? (my gauge leaked when i first got it but that was easily fixed)Mine seems to work fine, but it's the only hpa tank i've had.
2k4 black impy: cp two peice barrel, twister low rise, tapeworm, cp rail with cp on/off, white new designzs bolt, red stickeys, crossfire 68/4500 dye c5 cover, ripped halo, and of course about a pound of stickers.
My Team
^I didn't pick the name^
pure energy 88 5000 tank with dye rhino cover for sale. $180
not quite 2 years old, been sitting in my bag for approximately six months.
send offers to: tjimfeld90@fuse.net include a way for me to contact you
impypballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 03:35 PM   #15
toothpastedog

well, a tank leaking is not good, even if it is easily fixed...

Mike the G
IQ Paintball
Mystery Gun?
IMPULSE FAQ
Oww Owww Quiting
Old 12-19-2004, 04:02 PM   #16
TheUsualSuspect
I'm alowed to be biased

Some one told me you should have the max flow running at its highest pressure (screwed in all the way) and then adjust your velocity through your dwell settings... Does this work?
Yellow to green fade
Freak (with inserts soon to come)
Halo B "smoke"
Center flag Dynaflow HPA 68/45 Mounted adjustable bottle with CP rail drop.
Smart Parts red bottle cover (My gun is now RASTA! Ha!)
"Q-lock" feed neck.
*SOON TO COME*
Crossed off: 4 item(s)
-WAS board
-CP reg
-RIP valve
-Silk shot

(Insert Random statistics here)
Braided hoses piss me off.
TheUsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 04:15 PM   #17
toothpastedog

No, unless you have an lpr kit, which you don't seem to own, this is how YOU (it depend on your setup) should set your dwell/pressure:

Fine an impulse from 120psi-150psi that gives you minimum kick and feels good (150psi would be my choice, because it will give you better efficiency and a faster max rof-not that that matters thuogh), then set your dwell until the gun shoots 280-300fps. Don't set your maxflo to it's max output because that will most likely blow your prv and possible yuor solenoid.

The person who told you that was thinking about setting the lpr... just don't do anything he says

Mike the G
IQ Paintball
Mystery Gun?
IMPULSE FAQ
Oww Owww Quiting
Old 12-19-2004, 05:42 PM   #18
ikey

well you said the sidewinder is the best, but if price is no factor i would go with the 2 lieter as the best (yeahs its small but im talking pure air flow and consistancy).
ikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 03:55 AM   #19
TheUsualSuspect
I'm alowed to be biased

With my Adrenalin with that confusing new chamber what should I have my maxflow at?
Yellow to green fade
Freak (with inserts soon to come)
Halo B "smoke"
Center flag Dynaflow HPA 68/45 Mounted adjustable bottle with CP rail drop.
Smart Parts red bottle cover (My gun is now RASTA! Ha!)
"Q-lock" feed neck.
*SOON TO COME*
Crossed off: 4 item(s)
-WAS board
-CP reg
-RIP valve
-Silk shot

(Insert Random statistics here)
Braided hoses piss me off.
TheUsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 07:31 AM   #20
toothpastedog

Quote:
Originally posted by toothpastedog

Find an input from 120psi-150psi that gives you minimum kick and feels good (150psi would be my choice, because it will give you better efficiency and a faster max rof-not that that matters thuogh), then set your dwell until the gun shoots 280-300fps. Don't set your maxflo to it's max output because that will most likely blow your prv and possible yuor solenoid.

The person who told you that was thinking about setting the lpr... just don't do anything he says
What was that last bit?

And ikey, i believe i wrote that before the 2L came out...

Mike the G
IQ Paintball
Mystery Gun?
IMPULSE FAQ
Oww Owww Quiting