pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Equipment Forums > Barrels and Paint

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 01:48 PM   #1
STO Balla 22

Send a message via AIM to STO Balla 22
Barrel Maintenance

Well, it's raining here and I'm bored. Time to write up a thread that's hopefully sticky-worthy.

How to Take Care of Your Barrel

On the Field
You're on the field, and you chop a ball. Paint is all in your barrel, and it's making your shots fly everywhere. You need to clean it out. Many people will try to "shoot through the break", but unless you don't have any time, you should try to clean it out. The quickest way is by using a swab. or a straight shot . By using these, you won't have to take off your barrel, and you can clean it out well in seconds. But what if you have lots of time, and you want your barrel to be cleaner? Then you should use a pull-through squeegie. A pull-through squeegie will get your barrel very clean, and you should be shooting very well after you use it.

After Playing
Once you're done playing for the day, you should clean out your barrel very well to give it maximum life and performance. Run warm water through it, to get all the paint out of the barrel and ports. Then, take a swab and clean the water out of the ports and the inside of the barrel. Finally, use a pull-through squeegie to get the inside as clean as possible. For the outside of the barrel, make a solution using half water and half rubbing alcohol, and put some of it on the barrel. Wipe it off, and it should be nice and shiny. You should do this to the rest of your gun too.

Common Misconceptions
Many people seem to think that it's a good idea to oil your barrel. DO NOT OIL YOUR BARREL. The oil will most likely displace unevenly, creating a strange shape to the inside of your barrel. This will cause balls to fly funny. The oil will also get into the ports, and if left there for a long time, will clog them up. Even if you do get the oil displaced evenly throughout the barrel, you will not shoot any better. It will just be a waste of oil. Many people also oil the threads on their barrels. This can be alright, but I wouldn't recommend it. The threads could get dirt in them, and the dirt would mix with the oil to create a sticky mess. It's better to just leave the threads alone, because the negative possibilities outweigh the positive effects. Some people on Pbreview recommend putting a small amount of Rain-X in your barrel. I recommend not doing it, and here's a quote from Jaster, one of the Barrel Forum Moderators, on putting Rain-X in your barrel.
Quote:
The problem with rain-x is that it's a wax. It builds up after a while which will make the inside of your barrel uneven. Also as temps change that wax can go from hot to cold pretty quick, especially during rapid firing, and flake off. Also making the barrel uneven. Uneven barrels aren't good for accuracy.
Just keep them clean. That's the best way.
That should tell you everything you have to know.

Please post with any suggestions you might have, or with any support. Hopefully this will give new players information on how to take care of their barrels, and will prevent them from messing them up.
Tein S-Tech Springs
Black 17x8 Rota Torques
255/45/17 Falken Azenis Tires
20% Tint
Autometer Boost Gauge

Last edited by STO Balla 22 : 06-16-2004 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:32 PM   #2
ShadowWalker
Shocker pwns

Send a message via AIM to ShadowWalker
Not sure if you've had this problem STO but my brother did. If you have a two piece barrel on your cocker and you try to unscrew it but the back is stuck, try and use a rubber strap wrench to get it off. Hopefully it will fit between the pneumatics and barrel.

Good post

I don't play anymore, But I am looking for a Female Regulator. email me if you have one
Old 06-08-2004, 06:35 PM   #3
STO Balla 22

Thanks Shadow. Yes I've had that happen before, but since the Freak has a window, I took the front off, the insert out, and stuck a pen through the window in order to get the back off. If you have a Cocker, it's probably not a good idea to use an o-ring on the barrel back, the way they're milled makes it easy for the o-ring to get jammed, making the barrel very hard to get off.
Tein S-Tech Springs
Black 17x8 Rota Torques
20% Tint
Autometer Boost Gauge
Old 06-08-2004, 07:33 PM   #4
ShadowWalker
Shocker pwns

Send a message via AIM to ShadowWalker
my brother has a freak too, but he is retarded and wouldn't let anyone stick things in there. He is touchy about his stuff.

I don't play anymore, But I am looking for a Female Regulator. email me if you have one
Old 06-10-2004, 12:00 AM   #5
Wuzup101
Oh that's right B*tch

Send a message via AIM to Wuzup101
If you don't have a rubber strap wrench you can also just wrap a t shirt around it or something like that and use a regular rench that fits. I personally use a RoboGrip that has rubber pads designed for it so that it doesn't marr anything.
14" Freak w/ SS inserts
72/4500 '03 Maxflow

AIM = Wuzup101 Email = eclipse2k69@hotmail.com
Feedback at PB Nation
Old 06-10-2004, 06:54 AM   #6
Jaster
The one and only

Gunning for more stickies huh?

A suggestion... In the misconceptions section you talk about oils and wax(rain-x). You should put a few links to threads talking about that. Good way to get people to understand why you should not do those things. People are lazy sometimes and they won't search on their own. There are some very well done threads on both topics.

Then we'll talk about the sticky....

Good job on this!
--------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by GranDreamUse the search, Luke.
Originally posted by Lopez17It's really quite amusing to see the difference between talent and ego
Originally posted by teufelhunden You'd think stickies are there to make the forum pretty...
Originally posted by Killer Kat: Don't feed the Jaster from your hand! He bites!!
Originally posted by cocker kid 2k2 :Shut your trap while the big boys are talking.
Originally posted by Homer:Jaster is the Master.
Originally posted by iplaynaked:This....is the Jaster. All I'm going to say to you about him is....don't make him angry.

--------------------------------------------------
Red to Black Texas Storm, WAS2.8 Board, WAS Switch, KAPP Thumper Ram, BL Delrin Poppet, Violent Products Delrin Piston, CP Rail, Modified Stock Bolt, CP Adj. Ram Cap, Empire on/off, AKA Sidewinder reg, Clamping Low Rise, Flame Eye Covers, ScytheII Trigger.
Red/Yellow Fade LP Classic Timmy, Bob Long Torpedo Reg., Claw Trigger, CP Adj. Ram Cap, Modified Delrin Bolt, CP Flame Drop Forward, Empire On/Off, WAS 2.8 Equalizer bd., WAS Eye, WAS Switch, Twisted Low Rise, Custom Red Oak Grips
Pure Energy 45/45 and 68/45 12" STIFFI Barrel, 14" CP 2 Piece, Red Halo B

WANTED: Ripper Timmy body. PM me if you have one you want to sell or trade.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:35 PM   #7
Cliche
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Cliche
We need to sticky a thread that names three squeegees, tells us to use water to clean out the barrel, and repeats what everyone already knows about oiling your barrel?
Old 09-16-2004, 04:48 PM   #8
STO Balla 22

Not everyone knows it. I personally have seen threads where people ask these kinds of questions, and ask what kind of squeegies are best. This is for new players, I don't see what's wrong with trying to help them, you were new at some point too.
Tein S-Tech Springs
Black 17x8 Rota Torques
20% Tint
Autometer Boost Gauge
Old 07-17-2006, 11:46 AM   #9
inspectorchao

Send a message via AIM to inspectorchao
after seing the thread about accuracy is helped by a good inside finish, i was wondering if using a paper towel might scratch it and affect accuracy
Old 07-17-2006, 12:15 PM   #10
soccerjacks12
My Killer Puppy ate Santa

It shouldn't. But a rag would still be better. I've used towels in my CP and it still shoots perfectly.
BTW. No need to up 2 year old threads. Just make a new one.
Anarchy OG Midwest Posse OG
Closed Thread