pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Specific Marker Forums > Tippmann

Old 08-23-2004, 07:53 PM   #1
w35
Banned

Send a message via AIM to w35
Bored of your markers color? READ!

IF YOU MESS UP, I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY ON THE DAMAGE DONE TO YOUR MARKER

Are you sick and tired of staring at your black tippy 98c? Dont have enough money to get a professional paintjob? Want something with a little more shine? Well then look no further. Ill provide step by step directions on how to "chrome-out" your 98c. This will require several things...

-Paint stripper ("Airplane remover" brand reccomended, or any other type of paint stripper) 3.95$
-Steelwool (Any medium sized kind) 1.00$
-Mothers mag and aluminum polish 4.00$
-Lots and LOTS, of old dirty rags. (Or old T-shirts) ???
-Assorted packs of sandpaper 400-1200 grit 5.00$
-Solvent proof gloves ( MUST HAVE) 3.00$
-Screw driver or kitchen knife 1.00$
And lots of muscle.

Directions:

1. Ok first off, you need to open up your marker, and remove all the pieces. If you dont know how to do this, simply refer to your manual. Place ALL the pieces in a plastic bag. And then put all the screws into another plasitc bag.

2. Take a rag, and wipe out all of the oil and lubricant in the frame of your gun, maybe run it through some water, make sure its all out, our youll have complications.

3. After your gun is cleaned out, dry it off. Set it on some newspaper, and plop on your Solvent proof gloves. If you want to burn the hell out of your fingers and damage your tissue, dont put on gloves.

4. Make sure the news paper is supported so it wont blow away, set down your dried off cleaned frame, and take out your paint stripper. Make sure you get a good dose of this stuff on, youll start to see some foam. If you only bought one can, its precious, so only spray it on the gun, and not all over the news paper.

5. Be patient, wait 10-15 minutes. You want this stuff to soak in. Put your gloves back on, and remove some steelwool from the package. Start to scrub away. Take off as much of the paint as possible, make sure you arent dragging your frame on the ground as you scrub, this will cause scratches to the bottom of your frames. Also, be aware to switch pieces of steel wool as you go along, using the same piece= mess.

6. Keep spraying on coats... waiting... and scrubbing well, untill almost all the paint is off. In the little nooks and crannies (where your feed neck goes for example) Fold up the steel wool, and just keep going at it)

7. Hmm, so, you might have very small pieces of paint left, around the letters ( if they arent milled off) etc. Ill get to that later, but after youve scrubbed, and I mean SCRUBBED (we cant skimp on that scrubbin' now) Take a hose, and rinse it off. Try not to get splattered by the water coming off, it still contains some solvent, and it will burn.

8. Take a towell, set the two parts of your frame on it. Let it dry in the sun. You should have a stainless steel type looking surface if you did it right.

9. Ok, now for the pesky little paint chips, assuming your gun is fully dried, take it back inside. I reccomend wearing a mask, and goggles for this next steps. Im currently out of school because I breathed in some metal chips @_@

10. Set the 2 frames down on a sturdy table, I prefer placing a towell down too, so it doesnt make a huge mess.

11. Take our your large coarse sand paper. Start to sand away at the paint chips. Circular motions work best, and only use tiny pices of sand paper when doing work with the coarse paper. ( coarse- like 400-600 grit. and try not to OVER sand with the coarse paper, it can be damaging)

12. After your little paint chips are off, your probally saying, what the hell, this guy jipped me, I have a lousy pile of metal now, with scratch marks. Oh well your wrong. Whip our some more of that 1200 grit paper. Your gonna have to work with it, it might even take a hour or two. Keep rubbing the gun with this fine paper, untill it has a very nice shiny looking coat. The scratches should be gone.

NOTICE: TO REMOVE THE SMALL PAINT AROUND THE LETTERS, THE ONLY THING I CAN RECCOMEND IS TO MILL OFF YOUR LETTERS, AND PROCEDE WITH THE FINE SANDING. SORRY. TO LEARN HOW TO MILL OFF YOUR LETTERS, GO TO http://www.model98.net/mod11.html

13. Take out some steelwool, and very lighty run it all around the gun a few times, just to, spruce it up. You want it to look very shiny, and have fine shiny sleek look. The more fine it is on the outside, the better the polish will be. (Make sure you do not press down on the steel wool, it will completely destroy the fine grit sanding you did to it, just lightly brush over it with the steel wool)

14. Shake your gun out, there should be many small pieces of debree and dust, take a old ( but clean ) rag, and just sweep it all off, blow on it a few times, make sure not to inhale. Just make it clean and sleek. You want it just as clean as before you sprayed it with the stripper, even CLEANER.

15. Ok, NOW its time to polish. Yeap, I know, another tedious task, but you want your gun to look ******, take your time. Simply dab your cloth will a very little ammount of Mothers mag and aluminum polish. Rub it in untill your cloth is black, then take another cloth, and rub it till its black, then flip the cloth to a clean side, rub, flip, rub. Repeat till you cant get black anymore on your cloth. Its very important, that you do little portions of the frames at each time. It will be difficult doing the thing at once, and it might even leave residue hard to remove since youde be using a black side for such a long time.

16. Rinse with a damp rag, then dry with a paper towell, watch it shine baby. Repeat any of these steps to get it to your liking. Enjoy and brag.

Ide like to thank eryk for some tips. If you have any questions, or problems, just ask!

NOTICE: If theres a chance your gun might get caught in the rain, it will take rust easily, so i reccomend a metal coat, clear, most of you might have some in your garage. Gives it a smoother feel too. Make sure you place AFTER the polish.

-wes

Pictures
Important; THESE PICTURES ARE NOT OF THE FINISHED PRODCT! I STILL HAVE SANDING TO DO.

http://www.imagepilot.com/img.dll?x=...4_MVC-012S.JPG

http://www.imagepilot.com/img.dll?x=...5_MVC-001S.JPG

http://www.imagepilot.com/img.dll?x=...9_MVC-002S.JPG

http://www.imagepilot.com/img.dll?x=...0_MVC-003S.JPG

http://www.imagepilot.com/img.dll?x=...0_MVC-004S.JPG

http://www.imagepilot.com/img.dll?x=...8_MVC-005S.JPG

http://www.imagepilot.com/img.dll?x=...8_MVC-006S.JPG

http://www.imagepilot.com/img.dll?x=...3_MVC-010S.JPG

http://www.imagepilot.com/img.dll?x=...2_MVC-011S.JPG

Last edited by w35 : 08-23-2004 at 08:08 PM.
w35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 08:39 PM   #2
lance9001
Sniped by teh kitty

Send a message via AIM to lance9001 Send a message via Yahoo to lance9001
there are some ppl that will do this for not a huge amount of money, mebbe 20, + 15 shipping, but there are some of us, myself included, that get off on knowing we did stuff ourselves. nice job, should probably be stickied imo.

Athiest paintball club member.

If anything I post offends you, I was probably in a bad mood at the time. I'm still right, though.
lance9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 08:44 PM   #3
w35
Banned

Thank you, yeah, I love doing stuff by my self. Because if I mess up, whos to blame? And I feel I get a much better quality. I could charge all my friends to do the mods I did to my gun, to do to theirs, maybe just to make some cash. I might also make a thread on how to do some cool mods which arent on the internet (not that I know of) Like a custom trigger :-D

-wes

Last edited by Coenen : 02-28-2005 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:05 PM   #4
ace6160
Super Mario

Nice job!! This should help a lot of people out.
This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!”
-Adolf Hitler, 1935
Trader Feedback

I'm a rec-balla and i have a gun, isn't that really all that matters?
ace6160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 04:10 PM   #5
Turambar

Send a message via ICQ to Turambar Send a message via AIM to Turambar Send a message via MSN to Turambar Send a message via Yahoo to Turambar
Nicely done. It's in the Ultimate.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

----------------------------
Tippmann Ultimate Sticky
PBR Tutorial
PBR Feedback! | eBay feedback!
----------------------------
Elen síla lúmenn omentilmo

Túrin Turambar Dagnir Glaurunga
Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 04:29 PM   #6
snap shoot
L337

Send a message via AIM to snap shoot Send a message via Yahoo to snap shoot
Nice job , got yourself in the Ultimate very sweet.
snap shoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 05:13 PM   #7
pbnickk508
punisherspb.com

Send a message via AIM to pbnickk508
Quote:
Originally posted by snap shoot
Nice job , got yourself in the Ultimate very sweet.
Nice..........!!!!
pbnickk508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 05:58 PM   #8
E r y k
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Send a message via AIM to E r y k
im gunna add something:

if you want a real luster, after you use mothers mag, use some jewlers rouge.

it will also be much more shiney if a bench grinder was used since you can only apply so much pressure with your hands. if you do get a bench grinder, you might want to get some fine stitched wheels and some loosely stitched wheels.

also, since the tutorial was completed before the finished product was made, you can also change some steps and still achieve the same result.

-edit- also, if you see dimples or imperfections be very sure you sand them/buff them out, or when you polish with the mothers mag you will get a cloudy look and you want to stay away from that as much as possible. however, if you do end up with a cloudy patch, just sand it and polish again.

reviews.
AIM: p b e r y k
Pbreview Feedback
PbNation Feedback

Last edited by E r y k : 08-24-2004 at 06:05 PM.
E r y k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 07:01 PM   #9
MA_paintballer
vive alaska!

could any of this process be made easier/quicker by using a dremmel?
MA_paintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 07:05 PM   #10
FuzzzET
RAMBO

Send a message via AIM to FuzzzET
yeah practically the whole procces that requires sanding and milling or polisihing all can be done with a dremel...
Rocket Cock II
Polished internals
What I'm getting~
Tippmann A-5 with E-Grip
Palmers Stablizer
Lapco Bigshot 12'
Shocktech Dropforward
Tanks a/s
(poor, gotta wait awhile...)

Selling my current set up for $130 (used for about half a year; VERY good condition, perfect for woodsballer or new-comer) any takers, pm me...
FuzzzET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 07:41 PM   #11
w35
Banned

Most likely, but the reason I left out a dremel is I dont want people to go out and buy a 100 dollar kit, and then load it up and like hack away at their marker. It takes exprience to use a power tool such as a dremel rotary tool. I also think when its done with your hands, it comes out much better, but thats just my 10 cents.

Last edited by Coenen : 02-28-2005 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:49 PM   #12
FuzzzET
RAMBO

Send a message via AIM to FuzzzET
lol exactly why i always go the cheap-*** ghetto but will work way
Rocket Cock II
Polished internals
What I'm getting~
Tippmann A-5 with E-Grip
Palmers Stablizer
Lapco Bigshot 12'
Shocktech Dropforward
Tanks a/s
(poor, gotta wait awhile...)

Selling my current set up for $130 (used for about half a year; VERY good condition, perfect for woodsballer or new-comer) any takers, pm me...
FuzzzET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 03:00 PM   #13
yuik

well that seems like a great idea however i hve an easier way that is cheaper requires less work but you get less quality. Go to Home Depot and get 1 or 2 cans of chrome paint.(they are 5$) Then take out all the internals and any extrernals that you dont want to get painted like the rt hose put tape over it. Now put your gun on waxpaper and spray paint it. Make sure you use wax paper so it doesnt stick when removing your gun. Let it dry and repeat 3-4 times. I did this with my 98c and it looks hot. However i would have done what w35 said if i didnt paintit already. Just another way to make your tippy look fly.
yuik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 03:17 PM   #14
TippmannPhreak
Ghost Cell Backman

You didn't have to bring this up just to tell us to spray-paint it.

Rockin' The Ion;
Black Ion
Black Inline Maxflo
Black NDZ Roller Trigger
AKA 2-Liter
Black Q-Lock
Stainless Freak Back w/ Black Teardrop Tip and .693 Insert

Official Green Day Fan Club President. PM me to join.
TippmannPhreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 05:07 PM   #15
buzzboy
Just me, or am I broke?

Would this work on any other tippmann models such as my pro/carbine. Also could I use #11 polishing compound and a power polisher. I have these on hand so I was just wondering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudavicioSoldier on AO
Lord knows all the little gayboys in Cali need to carry their LV purses with them onto the field.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFX Fenix on AO
Keep the Agent of Heaven and dispence with Hell's Advocate.
buzzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 05:16 PM   #16
TippmannPhreak
Ghost Cell Backman

If both of halves of the reciever come apart, I don't see why not.

Rockin' The Ion;
Black Ion
Black Inline Maxflo
Black NDZ Roller Trigger
AKA 2-Liter
Black Q-Lock

Old 01-17-2005, 06:50 PM   #17
buzzboy
Just me, or am I broke?

No they don't. Couldn't I just work with it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudavicioSoldier on AO
Lord knows all the little gayboys in Cali need to carry their LV purses with them onto the field.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFX Fenix on AO
Keep the Agent of Heaven and dispence with Hell's Advocate.
buzzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 12:33 PM   #18
TippmannPhreak
Ghost Cell Backman

Well, if you can get all the pieces out, then you could just soak it in paint stripper.

Rockin' The Ion;
Black Ion
Black Inline Maxflo
Black NDZ Roller Trigger
AKA 2-Liter
Black Q-Lock

Old 01-18-2005, 02:09 PM   #19
pnda_express

I did mine awhile ago when i was polishing it to paint and heres what happened.
http://img60.exs.cx/img60/7697/pict04993vx.jpg

M.S.C.P. Rules= Michigan Stock class paintball.
pnda_express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 02:40 PM   #20
Menohl
Me in Southpark.

Send a message via AIM to Menohl Send a message via Yahoo to Menohl
interesting approach, but if you want to save time and avoid the chemicals. A sandblasting booth and a dremel with a sanding and then a polishing wheel work three times better and in much less time.

Marker Setup:
Tippmann 98 Custom | GTA Inline Expansion Chamber | GTA Double Trigger | 32* Star Fire Bolt | J&J 14" Ceramic Barrel | Madmann Spring Kit | Viewloader 12V Revolution w/ X-Board | JCS 6" Offset Dovetail Sight Rail | Magnacraft 3-9X50 Illuminated Scope | 32* Coiled Remote w/ Slide Check | Thunder Pig In-Line CO2 Gauge | BP-USA Combat Folding Stock w/RVA | PMI 20oz. CO2 Tank w/Neoprene Woodland Camo Cover

Tippmann SL-68 II Pump SN #0185 | 14" J&J Ceramic Barrel | VL200 Hopper | Brass Eagle Red Dot Sight | Tippmann 9oz CO2 Tank

Tippmann 68 Special SN #4321 | 14" J&J Ceramic Barrel | VL200 Hopper | Tippmann 20oz CO2 Tank w/Siphon

Mask:
JT Elite Headshield | JT Elite Thermal Lens (Clear) | JT Vortex Fan (Black) | Olive Goggle Frame | Standard Olive Goggle Strap | Woodland Camo Goggle Skinz | Custom Woodland Camo Paintjob

Gear:
32* Woodland Camo 6+1 | 6 Paintballtogo.com 140rd Pods (Smoke)

Tornado Pod Loader

Viewloader ProFlex Squeegee | PMI Stick Squeegee | Redz Camo Stick Squeegee Leg Sheath
Menohl is offline   Reply With Quote