pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > General Marker Forums > High-End Electronic Markers

Old 11-02-2004, 01:42 PM   #1
steveo1313

Send a message via AIM to steveo1313
odyssey 03 or icd bko

i just saw the 03 and i read the reviews and it seems like a really good marker. the 03 is a pretty new marker so if you dont know about it here are the specs:

High Polished Anodizing
Pneumatic Air Ram
Custom 3D Milled Body
Low Pressure Operation
Optic Sensor Eye
30 BPS Programmable
M45 Frame with Wrap Around Grip
Cocker Thread Barrel - 14"
Rear Cocking Bolt
LCD Screen w/Shot Counter, Timer
Twist Clamp Feed Neck
Hi-Flow Valve
Aluminum 3 Point Adjustable Trigger
NiMH Rechargable Battery system

they are both around 300. i think that icd's quality control is better but i dont know a whole lot about it so i just want an opinion.
steveo1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 06:41 PM   #2
steveo1313

Re: odyssey 03 or icd bko

anyone?
Old 11-04-2004, 08:44 AM   #3
VooDooAddict

Send a message via Yahoo to VooDooAddict
I'm also considering this.

There's a vendor I know that's selling O3s with a barrel kit for about $300.

I've used TheOnes before and was very impressed. With the O3 fixing many of the small issues I had with it for only a few $$ more. It's very tempting.

The Odyssey / Dragun Markers do have some quality issues ... but the only issue I've had with them is that they don't work 100% out of the box...You need to disassemble, lube, and reassemble before you ever use it.

With so many people talking up the BKO it's a very tempting alternative. For basicly the same cost.

I'm trying to hold out till I hear about the 05 BKOs ... if they are coming with an Air return ... or PDS (anti-chop eye).
Alt/Loan: Shocker 2k2 Blu Fade Turbo - Max 88/45 - Apache - 14" .691 AA
Loan: Full Camo'd Shocker 4x4 - 114/45 - Rev12v - 16" .689 CP
Loan/Tinker: Shocker 4x4 S/F - 68-CO2 - Warp&Rev9v - 12" .689 CP
VooDooAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 10:19 AM   #4
chinesebugrepel
Self proclaimed hugenaut

Re: odyssey 03 or icd bko

Quote:
Originally posted by steveo1313
High Polished Anodizing
Pneumatic Air Ram
Custom 3D Milled Body
kinda Low Pressure Operation
crappy Optic Sensor Eye
30 BPS Programmable
M45 Frame with Wrap Around Grip
Cocker Thread Barrel - 14"
Rear Cocking Bolt
LCD Screen w/Shot Counter, Timer
Twist Clamp Feed Neck
kinda Hi-Flow Valve
Aluminum 3 Point Adjustable Trigger
NiMH Rechargable Battery system
reliability issues out of the box
50% chance of working ever
crappy customer service
crappy hpr and lpr
I added the features the manufacturer forgot. Get the bko.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ebonclaw
Trust me, you don't want to argue with chinese.
chinesebugrepel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 11:59 AM   #5
VooDooAddict

Re: Re: odyssey 03 or icd bko

Quote:
Originally posted by chinesebugrepel

I added the features the manufacturer forgot. Get the bko.
If the 05 BKO comes with PDS or air return and still stays under $300 then it will certainly be BKO.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:17 PM   #6
steveo1313

Re: Re: Re: odyssey 03 or icd bko

ya not to many ppl have an 03 so i dont know a whole lot about it. ill think about this one. i like both guns so ill probably be happy with both. i would wait till the bko 05 comes out if the rumors of what it has are true
Old 11-04-2004, 02:35 PM   #7
chinesebugrepel
Self proclaimed hugenaut

I can almost guarantee that the 05 bko will be spring return without pds stock. I'd still get it over the odyssey despite price and features, because that begs the question... how did odyssey get their price so low?

You'll find the answer when you're gun is screwed up more often then working.

Quote:
Old 11-05-2004, 06:45 AM   #8
VooDooAddict

Quote:
I can almost guarantee that the 05 bko will be spring return without pds stock.
The rumors based off of comments made by ICD folks imply that there will be a major addition to the 05 BKOs. Along the lines of Air Return/Built in AntiChop Ram/ or PDS.

We are just going to have to agree to disagree about the O3.

For what you get I still find it a good value. Despite the impression that it's poor Quality. I wouldn't wish it on a inexperienced player or one without patience when dealing with problems.

I'm still waiting to hear the new features of the 05 BKO before I jump on it.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:28 AM   #9
chinesebugrepel
Self proclaimed hugenaut

Quote:
Originally posted by VooDooAddict

The rumors based off of comments made by ICD folks imply that there will be a major addition to the 05 BKOs. Along the lines of Air Return/Built in AntiChop Ram/ or PDS.
That's surprising. I haven't heard the rumors, I was just basing my interpretation on their history.

Besides, the only notable differences between the bko and b2k are the 4 way noid (air return) and the body. If they made the bko 4way, then they'd basically be releasing 2 of the same gun.

If I had to guess I'd bet they just make the bko a little lighter, maybe a bit faster, hopefully improve their lpr, and they'll give you the choice to get it stock with pds. That way at the $300 price range you'd have the traditional style bko, at $400 you'd have a choice between air return and pds (b2k5 vs bko pds) and at the $500 range you could get the b2k5 pds. That's what I would do.

Quote:
Old 11-05-2004, 01:02 PM   #10
VooDooAddict

Quote:

Besides, the only notable differences between the bko and b2k are the 4 way noid (air return) and the body. If they made the bko 4way, then they'd basically be releasing 2 of the same gun.
I'd place my money on PDS also as air return would destroy B2K sales.

The B2K5 though will be signifigantly changed from the B2K4s

http://pbreview.com/forums/showthrea...hreadid=265810
Old 11-05-2004, 01:23 PM   #11
freehand

don't get any gun made by oddessey or dragun, i had a TES and the electronics screwed up alot, it leaked all the time, and the ball detent broke, i threw the gun away.
freehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 03:51 PM   #12
steveo1313

i have a tes right now and it works great so idk
Old 11-05-2004, 04:23 PM   #13
TESballer

and im thinking that was an 03 tes right...

i have only seen two thread about O3 problems in the dragun forums, and both were on the ball detent, idc what anyone says about draguns quality because it has improved, but i do agree that their older guns were lacking quality, their customer service was average before the whole deal with odyssey now its crap

get what you want

any more typing isn't worth my time
TESballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 03:58 PM   #14
steveo1313

ya and a lot of ppl say the eyes on them suck. well the eye on my tes works pretty decent so idk what there talkin about. and think about this: would you rather have a decent eye or no eye.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:01 PM   #15
wordf0o
I'm Rich!

Send a message via AIM to wordf0o
2k5 Bushy alL the wAy!

Quote:
Originally posted by senghing27
w0Rd foo'!@!!!
wordf0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 04:41 PM   #16
steveo1313

too poor for a bushy
Old 01-05-2005, 09:34 AM   #17
UAreNotMyFather

Here's my two cents:

I am an A-5/TES/O3E owner, and quite frankly I'm still fairly new to paintball (I've been involved heavily in the sport for only about 9-10 months) but I read a lot, do a lot of research, and play a lot, so I consider myself to be fairly knowledgable.

And honestly, I don't know what's so great about the BKO...

Somebody said something about the O3E having malfunctioning or otherwise poor quality sensor eyes... sorry to tell you but you're wrong, and if you want to talk about crappy eyes, my buddy has had his BKO apart and back together again (and he knows what he's doing) and he might as well be playing paintball with a super soaker, the thing chops so much paint it's ridiculous, and on top of that he's using a Halo B with a rip drive... I imagine this is probably a rare case, but it is a case nontheless, and I've never heard of these kinds of problems with the O3E.

In comparative testing with the O3E on the other hand, I have been able to achieve higher rates of fire and flatter and more consistent trajectories, with no weird internal quirks in a gun that is lighter and more comfortable in all aspects, and all that with a ridiculously low price tag. If you ask me, the O3E is also better looking (not by a landslide, the BKO is a cool gun, but the O3E comes out on top in my cosmetics department), but that's only a matter of opinion. I think the reason people are hesitant to buy the O3E is because it's so cheap and Odyssey is fairly new to the marker production world, so naturally people would more readily drop their money on products made by a veteran company by ICD. That's understandable, but having a closed mind to innovation and new market products is just silly, and ultimately, the individual's own loss. I'm not going to say that the BKO is a piece of junk, because obviously the gun sells and ICD still exists, and they can afford to charge $850+ for their new model, so obviously people trust the company enough, and that consumer trust could only have been manifested through the sale and use of the BKO, but between the two guns, I would go with my O3E any day of the week.

98% of all teenagers have tried marijuana. If you're part of the 5% that are addicted to paintball, put this in your sig.

Last edited by UAreNotMyFather : 01-05-2005 at 09:39 AM.
UAreNotMyFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 09:55 AM   #18
chinesebugrepel
Self proclaimed hugenaut

Quote:
Originally posted by UAreNotMyFather
Here's my two cents:

Somebody said something about the O3E having malfunctioning or otherwise poor quality sensor eyes... sorry to tell you but you're wrong, and if you want to talk about crappy eyes, my buddy has had his BKO apart and back together again (and he knows what he's doing) and he might as well be playing paintball with a super soaker, the thing chops so much paint it's ridiculous, and on top of that he's using a Halo B with a rip drive...
You do realize that pds isn't stock on the bko. e probably didn't have eyes.

I'm not closed minded to innovation, just dragon innovation, because they have THE WORST quality in paintball next to brass eagle.

Oh, and your 2 cents is 2 months late.

Quote:
Old 01-05-2005, 10:36 AM   #19
UAreNotMyFather

Quote:

You do realize that pds isn't stock on the bko. e probably didn't have eyes.
No, that I did not know, so thanks for clearing that up; however, he does have eyes, and his eyes can't read paint worth beans. You made a similar mistake in stating that the O3E was "kinda low pressure" when in actuality the pressure range is identical to that of the BKO. So now we're even, yet not at all, because you're still wrong and I wasn't.

Quote:

I'm not closed minded to innovation, just dragon innovation, because they have THE WORST quality in paintball next to brass eagle.
To me, that is just an empty statement. I've had no problems with my gun. Dragun/Odyssey is a huge seller and continues to grow because they offer advanced, reliable technology at bottom-dollar prices. Could you tell me some of the issues you've had with Dragun/Odyssey products, if only to help me take preventative measures with my equipment? But I'm sure you really can't think of anything that hasn't already risen in the Odyssey forums (which I'm sure you don't venture to), which happens to be, oh, the ball detent, which can be a major replacement (insert sarcastic laugh here).

Quote:

Oh, and your 2 cents is 2 months late.
Ah-ha-ha, very clever, however I don't remember reading anywhere that threads expire; because they don't. That's what this is for, open discussion at any time. Obviously it doesn't bother you that much or you wouldn't have taken the time to respond. And moreover, the O3E is still a very new product, so expect all O3E vs. (insert gun here) threads to expand.

The last thing I would like to say is that I don't think the BKO is a bad gun, I just hands-down prefer my O3E and would never buy a BKO as long as I have my current O3E/Q-Loader/Stiffi14"-.691/PMI 88ci4500psi setup, which, by the way, kicks infathomable amounts of , far more than my buddy with his BKO/HaloB/DyeXcel/PMI68ci3000psi. I rate by comparison only.

Have a good one, and don't forget to pass the bug repellent before you leave (I've got a sudden craving, no?).

98% of all teenagers have tried marijuana. If you're part of the 5% that are addicted to paintball, put this in your sig.

Last edited by CoolT : 01-05-2005 at 10:53 AM.
UAreNotMyFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 12:58 PM   #20
chinesebugrepel
Self proclaimed hugenaut

Quote:
Originally posted by UAreNotMyFather

No, that I did not know, so thanks for clearing that up; however, he does have eyes, and his eyes can't read paint worth beans. You made a similar mistake in stating that the O3E was "kinda low pressure" when in actuality the pressure range is identical to that of the BKO. So now we're even, yet not at all, because you're still wrong and I wasn't.

First, I think you mistake me for an ICD fanboy, which is very untrue. I don't rate the ICD quality control well at all, and it doesn't surprise me that your friend has faulty pds. Still, PDS is far more effective than Oddysey/Dragun eyes, which are currently the worst on the market. If you've never heard of anyone having problems with them, then you just haven't looked hard enough. Come back when you have some real experience.

Now I don't see where your logic is coming from that I was wrong about low pressure, unless you're honestly under the impression that bko's run at low pressure. BKO's and anything in that pressure range run at higher pressure than any other electros out there, and just lower pressure than blowbacks. So I say again, come back when you actually know what's going on.

To me, that is just an empty statement. I've had no problems with my gun.
You already said your fairly new. Come back in another year and we'll see if A) you even still use your 03, and B) if it hasn't had a problem. You'll be singing a different tune by then.
Dragun/Odyssey is a huge seller and continues to grow because they offer advanced, reliable technology at bottom-dollar prices.
advanced reliable technology... Sit down child, you've gone blind.
Could you tell me some of the issues you've had with Dragun/Odyssey products, if only to help me take preventative measures with my equipment?
No I couldn't, because I have never and will never buy a dragun product. However, I see TES's crap out all the time, I've never met a dragunfly owner who kept his gun more than a couple months before getting fed up and selling it, and of 2 03's I've been around, only one cycled in the first place, and it had a leak from the HPR. The only preventative measures you can take with dragun products is to buy something else.
But I'm sure you really can't think of anything that hasn't already risen in the Odyssey forums (which I'm sure you don't venture to), which happens to be, oh, the ball detent,
somehow I get the feeling you only know about their crappy ball detents from a comment earlier in this thread. I'm having trouble figuring out why you think you're so smart.
which can be a major replacement (insert sarcastic laugh here).
I think everyone who's read that is obviously in stitches. Such a great joke. Got any "chicken crossing the road" ones or me?

Ah-ha-ha, very clever, however I don't remember reading anywhere that threads expire; because they don't.
Wow, you really haven't been around here much have you. Go back to hiding with all the other droolers in the dragun forums.
That's what this is for, open discussion at any time. Obviously it doesn't bother you that much or you wouldn't have taken the time to respond.
I take time to help prevent the spread of idiocy whenever I feel it's necessary. I don't want people to get false impressions that dragun guns are not pieces of crap
And moreover, the O3E is still a very new product, so expect all O3E vs. (insert gun here) threads to expand.
I'll always be there to warn against them

The last thing I would like to say is that I don't think the BKO is a bad gun, I just hands-down prefer my O3E and would never buy a BKO as long as I have my current O3E/Q-Loader/Stiffi14"-.691/PMI 88ci4500psi setup, which, by the way, kicks infathomable amounts of
obviously never shot a REAL good gun before.
, far more than my buddy with his BKO/HaloB/DyeXcel/PMI68ci3000psi. I rate by comparison only.
ignorance is bliss isn't it. Yea I've known tippmann owners who think their gun's as good as a cocker. Besides, you've already stated that his gun is a dud, your argument is worthless.

Have a good one, and don't forget to pass the bug repellent before you leave (I've got a sudden craving, no?).
Once again you leave me in stitches. Do you right for Wanda Sykes?
Owned

Quote: