pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > General Forums > General Paintball Talk

Old 04-30-2005, 02:45 PM   #1
STO Balla 22

Send a message via AIM to STO Balla 22
Diving 101

This thread is about diving into the snake. Obviously you can dive into other bunkers, and in many cases it's a good thing to do, but for the purposes of this thread I am only going to talk about diving into the snake. I see a lot of problems when I see people diving into the snake, so I'm going to do my best to correct them. Many of these tips also work for diving into other bunkers, but this thread especially focuses on diving into the snake

Alright, boys. I have already posted Sliding 101, but diving is also a huge part of being a good paintball player. Diving is especially important when trying to make the snake. Unfortunately, many people make mistakes when diving. This thread should help you correct those mistakes.
------------------------------------------------------
Purposes of Diving

The first purpose is to get you in as fast as possible. When you dive, the momentum from your run is carrying you through the dive. If you're a fast runner, which you probably are if you're playing the snake, you've built up a lot of momentum on your run. That means you're going to be diving very fast, which makes you harder to hit.

The second purpose is to get on the ground as soon as possible. If you slide into the snake, the top of your body will be exposed until you finish your slide. This is no good, because when players see someone running to the snake, they automatically try to shoot you out. Diving gets you on the ground without losing speed.

The third purpose is to make you harder to hit. When you dive, the side of your body makes a very small profile. Many times players will shoot too high or too low when someone is diving into the snake, so this gives you an advantage.
Timing Your Dive

The most common mistake I see is timing. Although it seems like a small thing, timing is actually very important. Here are the problems with bad timing.

Diving too early - Diving too early causes your momentum to stop before you actually get into the snake. When this happens, you're open game for the other team.

Diving too late - Diving too late is better than diving too early, but it really defeats the purpose of diving.

The timing of your dive is extremely important. To know where to dive, you have to know the field. Obviously every field will vary, so you'll just have to figure out how fast the surface is. After you've figured that out, the rest is easy. You want to dive so that your feet are in just after you've started to slide. Again, diving too late defeats the purpose of diving, and diving too soon leaves you open to get blasted.

Diving Form

There are many things you need to keep in mind when you dive. First of all is gun position.

Gun Position

Your gun should be in your outside hand, so if the snake is to your right, your gun should be in your right hand. Your hopper should be facing out, angled a little higher than parallel to the ground. This will keep it from hitting the ground and breaking off. Here are some examples of good gun position.

Free Hand Position

Your free hand (your inside hand withou your gun in it) is used for propelling yourself forward after you land your dive. After you land, use your free hand in a swimming motion to push yourself forward if you need to.

In the above pics, you can see how he used his free hand to push himself forward. That’s exactly what you’re supposed to do.
Torso Position

Your Torso should be as low to the ground as possible during the dive. This makes it harder for your opponents to shoot you, and keeps you from hitting the ground so hard that you lose your breath. It also allows for a smooth dive.
Leg position
Before you dive, you should push off with your strong foot. By this time, your body should be very low and you should be ready for the dive. The only thing that should not be in place is your legs.
Your legs should be higher up than the rest of your body when you’re in the air, but not so high that they’re sticking straight up and cause you to flip over. The reason for this is that your forearms should hit the ground first, closely followed by your torso, and then your chest. This allows for a very smooth dive and slide.

The only thing wrong with his dive is that his legs are too far under his torso, which makes it easy to get off balance. You want your body to be more straight, but after his dive his legs are in good position.
Summary/TL;DR Version

Before your dive, you should know how early you need to dive to get you all the way into the snake without diving too late to defeat the purpose of diving. Your gun should be in your outside hand, with your hopper angled a little higher than parallel to the ground, sticking out towards the tape. As you approach the snake, you should begin getting very low to the ground by bending over while bending your knees. As you begin the dive, push out with your strong foot and lift off the ground. Your forearm with your gun in it should hit the ground first, followed by your free hand, followed by your torso, followed by your legs. As you hit the ground, use your free hand to push yourself forward in a swimming motion. If you dove to soon, quickly use your feet to crawl forward and get in the bunker.

Tein S-Tech Springs
Black 17x8 Rota Torques
255/45/17 Falken Azenis Tires
20% Tint
Autometer Boost Gauge
STO Balla 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 06:39 PM   #2
wordf0o
I'm Rich!

Send a message via AIM to wordf0o
Post Slushii's superman dive again! I'm loving lil' Kenny Rosenburg's dive.

Quote:
Originally posted by senghing27
w0Rd foo'!@!!!
wordf0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 06:39 PM   #3
igota98custom

Send a message via AIM to igota98custom Send a message via MSN to igota98custom
Once again, great job.
igota98custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 06:48 PM   #4
.:{}:.
AGGent

Send a message via AIM to .:{}:.
Quote:
Originally posted by wordf0o
Post Slushii's superman dive again! I'm loving lil' Kenny Rosenburg's dive.
wooooohoooooooo

http://www.pbvidsupload.com/upload/superman.mpg

HK Streetball F/S/T
.:{}:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 07:43 PM   #5
hybrid-sniper

Send a message via AIM to hybrid-sniper Send a message via MSN to hybrid-sniper
Very nicely done STO, good tips for those who aren't very experienced in the diving area.

Remember to use your elbows and hand to lower yourself while coming down or else you'll smash your face and/or gun.

Elbow pads are key.

I'll keep it short and sweet. Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed. - Montgomery Burns
But it would be just like you to drag your keyboard to a gunfight - Bane

Awake. Arise. Eat. Work. ****. Sleep. Awake. Arise.
hybrid-sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 08:24 PM   #6
STO Balla 22

Thanks for the kind words guys!
Tein S-Tech Springs
Black 17x8 Rota Torques
20% Tint
Autometer Boost Gauge
Old 05-01-2005, 07:31 AM   #7
STO Balla 22

Kenny Rosenberg

Tein S-Tech Springs
Black 17x8 Rota Torques
20% Tint
Autometer Boost Gauge
Old 05-01-2005, 03:14 PM   #8
newnewbie
1 R0xx0rz y0r 50xx0rz

Send a message via AIM to newnewbie Send a message via Yahoo to newnewbie
Nice I actually use some of these tips today and I faired pretty well against our big local tourny team.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:43 PM   #9
§checky
Matt@VisionPaintball

Send a message via AIM to §checky Send a message via Yahoo to §checky
STO = my hero. Mucho <3 for you man, awesomeness in a bottle. Except there is no bottle...
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow221
You rule.

Originally posted by robdamanii
And you're doing a damn good job of it as well.

§checky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 03:50 PM   #10
A-5best
Virtù

Send a message via AIM to A-5best
Another very important tip is to dive not jump do not i repeat do not jump into the dive, dive into it if that mad any sense at all.
This one with the thin skinWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW_WWWWWWWWWWWOr a rational man?
Who should learn to laugh at himself
At himself
A-5best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 05:55 PM   #11
STO Balla 22

Yup, nice point. When you jump you're only going to get the wind knocked out of you and risk messing up your gun. The only reason to jump before a dive is to jump over a lane, and many times that doesn't turn out too pretty. Getting lower is better than getting higher.
Tein S-Tech Springs
Black 17x8 Rota Torques
20% Tint
Autometer Boost Gauge
Old 05-02-2005, 11:26 AM   #12
nahthan
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by STO Balla 22
Yup, nice point. When you jump you're only going to get the wind knocked out of you and risk messing up your gun. The only reason to jump before a dive is to jump over a lane, and many times that doesn't turn out too pretty. Getting lower is better than getting higher.
Or over a snake.
nahthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 11:42 AM   #13
Everlight389

Very, very nice job, again.

I vote it gets added to the ultimate sticky
Old 05-02-2005, 05:57 PM   #14
I.A.O.A.B
Budget MAAAAAN!

Send a message via AIM to I.A.O.A.B
Beautiful, you've inspired me. I shall write up a 101 tonight!