pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > General Forums > General Paintball Talk

Old 04-30-2005, 08:55 PM   #1
STO Balla 22

Send a message via AIM to STO Balla 22
Snapshooting 101

Alright guys, here's the follow up to Diving, Sliding, and XBall 101. Snapshooting is a skill that many people know about, but not many people know how to do correctly. Snapshooting is extremely important in Paintball, so important that when Dynasty did a clinic at my field, a huge percent of the time was devoted to snapshooting. Many of the ideas represented in this thread are straight from Dynasty, so you know this thread is 100% Grade A High Quality.

Holding Your Marker
If you have a drop, lose it. If you don't, keep on reading.

Your marker should always be held in the correct hand. If you're coming out the left side of your bunker, your left hand should be on the frame, whereas your right hand should be on your reg, and vice versa. Your shooting hand should not be bent, which will cause your wrist to stick out. Everything should be in tight to your body, unless getting it tighter makes you feel very uncomfortable. Your tank should be positioned in your shooting pocket, in front of your armpit, outside your pectoral, and under your shoulder. Once your hands are in the right position, and your tank is in the right position, tilt your hopper in to lower your profile. When you snapshoot out, your hopper should be turned in at a fairly small angle to reduce hopper shots. When snapping over the top of a bunker, turn your gun sideways even more because your hopper is easier to shoot. Unless you have an Autococker, put your nose right behind the back of your gun and aim straight down it. Your nose and gun should be one unit. Also, keep your gun held STRONG. Don't hold it weakly so it kicks around, hold it like you mean it and you know where it's going to shoot.

Let's use Dynasty's Danny Tiljak as an example

Everything looks perfect except his wrist is bent a little.

And someone from JMD

Positioning

Your feet should be about shoulder length apart, pointed straight ahead. If you’re playing a post on an Xball field or something like that, get your feet closer in. It depends on the bunker. If you’re playing a cube or something that’s so short that you can’t bend your knees to get under it, get on one knee. Your inside foot should be down, and your outside knee should be down. Being on two knees is almost always bad because it slows down your movement. Being on both feet is always better than being on a knee, so if you can bend down enough to not fall over or be off balance, do it.
THINGS TO REMEMBER – Bend your knees. Bending your knees gives you more stability. When you snap out, keep both feet on the ground. Picking one foot up kills your balance. Also, lean forward a little. Not too much to throw you balance off, just a little.
Your inside leg should be most of the force for your snap. Use it to push your body straight out, just enough to see your opponent. Be sure to keep your hopper in.

Snapping
When you snap out, a few things can happen. If you see paint coming at you, bend your back backwards to get out of the way, and pull yourself in with your outside leg. If not, snap out and back in, and then snap out and stay out to gain dominance if you can. If you can gain dominance, especially if you are snapping with your mirror, step farther out with your outside foot to wrap the bunker. Wrapping the bunker allows you to see more of the field, but leaves you more exposed. Don’t forget about the player you were snapping with before, and keep him in his bunker. Don’t stay out too long or you’ll get blasted. Remember, don’t do the same things over and over. For example, don’t come out every 2 seconds and shoot 5 balls. Eventually your opponent will catch onto the pattern. Try to keep it fresh, and don’t always come out at the same height either. Bend down a little more, come over the top, wrap around the other side, etc. Do everything you can to keep your opponent off guard. Once you get into a pattern, you’re going to get blasted if the other player is halfway decent. Once again, just to reiterate, DON’T GET INTO A PATTERN! I really cannot stress this enough. Do not get anything to get into a pattern, unless the guy you’re snapping with is the last guy on the field, you’re up on numbers, and you’re blasting a rope just to the side of his bunker waiting for another player to bunker him. That’s the rare exception.

Here are some pics to further help:

BEND YOUR LEGS!

Look, Gator has his hopper in!

Look at Big Josh holding his gun STRONG!

My teammate Greg shows you how to play from one knee in the Snake!

My teammate Nick shows you how to play a Mini Maya, and then wrap!

Don’t end up like Goat Hong!

Learn to Snapshoot!
Tein S-Tech Springs
Black 17x8 Rota Torques
255/45/17 Falken Azenis Tires
20% Tint
Autometer Boost Gauge
STO Balla 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 09:07 PM   #2
.:{}:.
AGGent

Send a message via AIM to .:{}:.

Get out more!!!!

but really, take a break.

good job though

HK Streetball F/S/T
.:{}:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 09:11 PM   #3
Jeezer
Banned

Goat had it coming!
Jeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 09:19 PM   #4
§checky
Matt@VisionPaintball

Send a message via AIM to §checky Send a message via Yahoo to §checky
AMazing. Now if the mods would just sticky them.
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow221
You rule.

Originally posted by robdamanii
And you're doing a damn good job of it as well.

§checky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 09:50 PM   #5
Bigshot
Aggro Crag

Send a message via AIM to Bigshot
Goat Hong has been my background

Edit: Whats next, Bunkering 101 and Run Through 101?
Old 04-30-2005, 09:54 PM   #6
wordf0o
I'm Rich!

Send a message via AIM to wordf0o
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeezer
Goat had it coming!
LMAO. How do you know its not Anson...

Quote:
Originally posted by senghing27
w0Rd foo'!@!!!
wordf0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 11:30 PM   #7
Kingman27

Send a message via AIM to Kingman27
Man, great jobs on all these threads STO. Directed to all of them, I just am posting in this because it was the last one I read. They all can be very helpful and they made me wanna go shoot some faces.
Great threads
OMGWTFHAX
Kingman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 06:35 AM   #8
f2f4

Quote:
Originally posted by Bigshot
Whats next, Bunkering 101 and Run Through 101?
I'll get right on 'em... after practice today.

EDIT: Actually, I think those are up on PBStar or P8nt or some other website. I remember reading them. But I'll repost 'em here.
f2f4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 07:08 AM   #9
HyperBallz
I am the King

Cool. Good job bro.

~~~Rockin' Teh Blue Ion~~~
*Blue Ion, Black Torp, CCM No-Rise feedneck, Smoke Halo*
HyperBallz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 07:11 AM   #10
STO Balla 22

Sounds good Mr. Eff.

The threads really didn't take that long to make. My friend on PbN posted Diving 101, so I copied and posted that and that's all it took. Diving 101 took around 30 minutes, XBall 101 took around an hour because I had to incorporate another guy's ideas, while changing the spelling and capitalization, and adding a lot of my own ideas. Snapshooting 101 took around 45 minutes. Somehow I managed to make all those threads, go to my field to hang out and help another team run drills, run around in an open field for around an hour shooting each other by blowing paint through barrels, and go to a movie at night.
Tein S-Tech Springs
Black 17x8 Rota Torques
20% Tint
Autometer Boost Gauge
Old 05-02-2005, 01:32 PM   #11
Everlight389

Very nice job

I vote sticky
Old 05-02-2005, 01:40 PM   #12
f2f4

Quote:
Originally posted by STO Balla 22
Sounds good Mr. Eff.
Hehe, about to post it.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:39 PM   #13
Toxic546

I disagree with telling people to shoot over the top, always a bad idea unless there's only one guy left.
Toxic546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 03:25 PM   #14
f2f4

I do it all the time, when our team is doing well on numbers. The technique is similar to wrapping, you hold them down with ROF, but once it's time to move on instead of going around the outside, you just pop over the top for a few seconds. I have a very sharp eye when it comes to detecting movement, so I can get away with it usually. Helps a LOT to get a complete picture of the field, so it's worth the risk. OF course, the whole time I'm up I'm shooting like crazy...

BTW, just got the Bunkering thingar posted.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:52 PM   #15
^Arbiter171^
Beware of the Shadows

good stuff

anoter sticky

I can only be nice to one person a day; today is not your day, and tomorrow doesn't look too good either.

Jungle Fighters
^Arbiter171^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 05:10 PM   #16
A-5best
Virtù

Send a message via AIM to A-5best
God great articles, they NEED to be stickied. I got the snap shooting down good but 1 tip that helped me a lot was LEAN FOWARD, i guess i wasnt doing that and now it helps so much with the speed of the snap.
This one with the thin skinWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW_WWWWWWWWWWWOr a rational man?
Who should learn to laugh at himself
At himself
A-5best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 05:31 PM   #17
STO Balla 22

Quote:
I disagree with telling people to shoot over the top, always a bad idea unless there's only one guy left.
It's a bad idea to stay looking over the top, but a quick snap over the top can be effective when you're in a gun fighting situation with one other player. For example, snap out left, then quickly come over top to throw him off.

Quote:
I got the snap shooting down good but 1 tip that helped me a lot was LEAN FOWARD, i guess i wasnt doing that and now it helps so much with the speed of the snap.
Yup, many people stand straight up with their feet close together, and that's not good. Spreading your feet out to around shoulder length, depending on the bunker, bending your knees, and leaning forward a bit will definitely increase your balance and speed.
Tein S-Tech Springs
Black 17x8 Rota Torques
20% Tint
Autometer Boost Gauge
Old 05-10-2005, 04:27 AM   #18
Lopez17
Administrator

Robbo also had a very good article that will reinforce many of the points made in here. It was posted at paintball.com last year.

http://paintball.com/features/article.cfm?aid=2219

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaster
I'd have given someone's arm for a U-Haul and 20 minutes alone with a forklift.
Lopez17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:38 AM   #19
carterjo
respect fo luv of d'game

Here is a site that covers many paintball basics

http://www.webdogradio.us/

And in this clip they cover the topic of snapshooting.

http://www.webdogradio.us/video/tipclip/WDR39hi.wmv

This site covers all topics and is a good place to look for advice on all aspects of paintball. If you use the forums be respectful; the guy (called tyger) Does these clips for the good of the sport.
ENJOY
PBC reg
hyper 2 inline reg
CCM no rise
Black HALO B
black Shocktech micro drop foward
black DYE airport
68ci 4500psi Nitro Duck Xstream tank
Red CP roller trigger
14inch ultralight (black)
TADAO board (yeah baby!)

Last edited by carterjo : 05-10-2005 at 07:42 AM.
carterjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 08:13 AM   #20
HurleyHero67
Accomplished Exile

Location: Radford during the school year, but Richmond is home.
Send a message via AIM to HurleyHero67 Send a message via Yahoo to HurleyHero67
Quote:
Originally posted by Toxic546
I agree. It's just a bad habit period. Your gun is way too unstable, too much is showing, etc. Even if you don't think the guy you're facing will be caught off guard, remember there are other people on the field. You'll most likely get blasted from somewhere else. This is all of course assuming you're playing a team that knows what they're doing.

Also, as far as positioning goes, I think you're getting in to a little too much detail. It's almost like that ESPN commercial where the guy is chipping on to the green, and he hears the voices of all the sports analysts talking in his head saying "don't forget to do this and this and this" and then he just hits it two feet because he's trying to do so much at once. When I'm in a game, I don't want to be thinking "ok, I'm supposed to keep my knee here, my arm here" etc. It doesn't have to be perfect. Just keep your body in tight and shoot fast, that's pretty much all you need to know.
HurleyHero67 is offline   Reply With Quote