pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > General Forums > New Paintballers

Old 05-07-2005, 07:39 PM   #1
SDxhockeyxPB

Lightbulb New @ paintball? Need to know what the best equipment is for the $$$? look here!

Here's something that I put together for you new guys, near the bottom are some basic tips also. So make it a sticky if you want admins.

It's hockey here, and I like playing paintball with my friends. This is the most unbeatable game anyone could ever play. It is unbeatable because if you lose or win, you still feel you won because itís still fun. The problem is paintball is a very expensive sport! Iím going to recommend the best product, than the best product for the price of every piece of equipment in the sport of paintball from head to toe.

For the head, you, of course need a mask. I highly recommend the Proto Switch El mask. You can get this product in black on olive. Most masks come in a wide variety of colors, but these two are the only necessary ones. With a beat red mask you cannot blend in with your environment very well unless you are trying to blend in with a random batch of roses in the field. This is the mask I will recommend because itís the best mask overall and itís cheap, around $30. A more expensive mask is the Proto switch FS. This is a step up from the cheaper one, the shape is a little different and the mask is made of a lighter, softer plastic. This makes some of the balls bounce off of the mask so you wonít be out. This mask is around $65.

All jerseys are based on the breath ability and of course look. If you want a flashy cool looking and rather expensive jersey, I would recommend the Smart Parts Burn jersey for around $55. (left, a picture of the Smart Parts Burn jersey.) The logo is amazing. The other jersey is the Paintball Junkies Bladez jersey. I got mine in camo and I luckily got mine unused for $10 on EBay.

The next pieces of equipment are gloves. I have been shot with my gloves off and it has injured one of my fingers for about a month. These Paintball Junkies Gloves are the best you could ever buy. I have been shot with my gloves on too and played without pain the next round. When you are peeking around a corner, the hands and a little of your mask is exposed. There is a big chance you are going to get shot. These gloves are around $20 to $30.

The pants not really a drawback if you donít get paintball pants. Just get some camo pants and you are fine. The same goes for shoes. Just get some boots.

Now you need pods. These are like magazines for a gun. They hold extra paintballs. They are around $4. It doesnít matter what kind you get. Itís best to get see through pods to see how much paint you have left.

How about a harness to hold those pods? It doesnít matter what kind you get and they are around $10-$30.

Now itís time for the fun stuff. Pick out the gun. The best low priced gun is the Spyder Electra DX. The velocity adjustment is easy, the barrel that comes with it is pretty accurate, it shoots around 13 balls per second and the barrel that comes with it is accurate. Go to www.pbreview.com to look at the reviews of the gun and find the price. Itís around $210 though. The best gun is the disputed Dye DM5 and it runs for about $1389! It shoots around 20 balls per second. If you have that good of a gun, it doesnít make you the best, you need skill still.

If you have a fast shooting gun you need a good hopper that can load balls as fast as you shoot them. A cheap one that can load around 13 bps is around $20. A Halo B loader (left) is around $119 and can compete with the DM5.

If you get a low price gun, you still need to get a better barrel. This can happen with excellent accuracy for $30 with a quiet J&J 14Ē ceramic barrel.
Now itís time for some tips if you are just beginning to play. Try to wear you shirts baggy, this causes a cushion for when a ball hits you. The ball that hits you may not break for this reason. When you are going to peak around a corner, put the tank up to your shoulder. If you are peeking around a corner on your right side, then put it up to your right shoulder. If you are peeking around a left corner, put it on your left shoulder. If this is done properly, then your body wonít be that exposed. If you want to advance, yet you are getting shot at, then call for your teammate and tell him to shoot in the direction of the enemy even if you donít see him. This will more than likely make the enemy hide for a few seconds, this will be all the time you need. If you see a person a great distance away, and he doesnít see you, take your time in your shot. If you spay many shot in that direction in a few cases, then he will hear the first few ball whiz by him before the ball that finally was on target now miss him because heís already running for cover. If you are advancing when an enemy near you is hiding, donít pound when running. If he hears running near him heíll pop out, then casually shoot you.

That's it.
SDxhockeyxPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 07:44 PM   #2
DagNasty
Registered Member

nice guide hockey, thanks for putting forth the effort.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:46 PM   #3
SDxhockeyxPB

No problem, It was a school project! lol I chose paintball and realized I could put it on this.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:07 PM   #4
paintballer8807
SP=NAZIS

Send a message via AIM to paintballer8807
put it in an ultimate sticky
paintballer8807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 08:10 PM   #5
.:{}:.
AGGent

Send a message via AIM to .:{}:.
Good little report, im guessing you meant to put pictures in? ill help you out there as soon as i get some time.i wouldnt say the DM5 is the best, so the "best" gun is very argueable, so ill just leave it at that. Another hopper that feeds fast, and not as necessarily as expensive is the evlution II.

Good job!

EDIT:

Some pictures for all you new ppl out there......

Proto Switch EL:

Proto Switch FS:

Smart Parts Burn Jersey:

Paintnall Junkies Bladez Jersey(small pic):

HK Streetball F/S/T

Last edited by .:{}:. : 05-07-2005 at 08:22 PM.
.:{}:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 08:22 PM   #6
AGGent

Some Pods:

Pod Pack(see the paintballs and the pods?):

Spyder Electra DX:

Viewloader Revolution(basic hopper):

Halo b's:

J&J Ceramic:

I also suggest the CP barrel:

Also, the DM5:

HK Streetball F/S/T

Last edited by .:{}:. : 05-07-2005 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:50 AM   #7
SDxhockeyxPB

Thanks for the help. when I did this, it was on Microsoft word, so I emailed it to my other computer and it didn't take the pictures, so thanks alot!
Old 05-08-2005, 12:47 PM   #8
mike77

seemed pretty good, but you kinda suggested newbies to buy a dm5, which isnt the best gun, and is bad first choice
/_/ |_|
mike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 02:32 PM   #9
AGGent

Quote:
Originally posted by SDxhockeyxPB
Thanks for the help. when I did this, it was on Microsoft word, so I emailed it to my other computer and it didn't take the pictures, so thanks alot!
no problem.

HK Streetball F/S/T
Old 05-08-2005, 03:28 PM   #10
Codestar20
Registered Member

It's in the Ultimate Sticky now...under "Equipment Recommendations."

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy360
Codestar's a friggin' babe.
Codestar20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 04:22 PM   #11
SDxhockeyxPB

YAY! is that in this forum? I can't find it anwhere. It's probrably right there. I hate that

Last edited by SDxhockeyxPB : 05-08-2005 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:45 PM   #12
Codestar20
Registered Member

Is in the "Ultimate Sticky" thread right above this. You can't miss it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy360
Codestar's a friggin' babe.
Codestar20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:59 PM   #13
Ugonot

Quote:
Originally posted by SDxhockeyxPB
Thanks for the post. This helps me a lot!
Ugonot is offline   Reply With Quote