pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > General Forums > General Paintball Talk

Old 05-17-2005, 08:20 AM   #1
v555ryan

Send a message via AIM to v555ryan
Camouflage types 101

Types of camouflage seems to be a common topic on these forums, and I as of now, I have not been able to find a thread that gives details about the most popular types of camo. This thread will attempt to remedy this situation. Also, I have seen most of these patterns in use in the woods near me (southern Connecticut), so keep that in mind when reading about their effectivness.

First off, I, as well as others, understand camo is for the most part, ineffective in speedball, so this thread only is referring to camo for use in woods games (recball, scenerios, outlaw). Heres a link for Camouflage pics.

US Woodland Camo
This is the most commonly seen type of camo. It is the 4 color pattern used by the US military that is primarily green, with black and two shades of brown. The biggest reason this pattern is used by the military is that it is moderately to very effective for a large variety of terrain and foliage. This means it works well just about everywhere. The disadvantage to this of course, is that it does not excel in any one place as well. Also, since it is so commonly seen, I think your eyes will spot it easier only because it is a pattern we are more used to seeing. It is also very green, so if there aren’t many leaves in, you will stick out. This pattern seems to be very difficult to locate if you dont know where to look, but once it is spotted, is somewhat easy to keep in sight.
Advantages :
Easy to obtain
Cheap
Good all around pattern
Works well in many situations
Disadvantages :
Common (eye is familier with pattern)
Does not excel in any one specific setting

US Digital Woodland

This is the newer US military pattern that I believe is going to be replacing the woodland pattern. There are several versions for the US, as well as a Canadian version. Differences are mostly in color used, but the concept is the same. It has similar colors to the standard woodland camo, but the colors are scattered in digital looking squares. You’ll understand when you see it. The biggest difference with this camo, is that your eye blends the colors together and it goes unnoticed. I also read somewhere the camo is most effective at ranges closer than 100 yds., which is excellent for paintball as markers have limited range. Here's a good website comparing US MARPAT and Canadian CADPAT .
Advantages :
Tricks the eye into blurring colors
Works well in many situations
Disadvantages :
Not as common yet
Usually more expensive

US Tigerstripe

This is one of the older US styles and I believe it was first used in the jungles of Vietnam. It is very dark with horizontal stripes. This type works best in thick foliage and dark areas. Its dark color can make you stick out when the terrain is lighter (dead leaves, fields). I don’t think it is still produced, so it might be harder to get a hold of.
Advantages :
Works very well in dark foliage
Seems to conceal movement
Somewhat less common
Disadvantages :
Very dark
Harder to find

US Desert 3 color and 6 color

These are both primarily light brown to match the desert setting. The 6-color combination is no longer in use (aka, chocolate chip patter). These would work well of course, in a desert setting, but I have also seen them in use in woods in the autumn and they are moderately effective, mostly the 3 color, as the black spots in the 6 color tend to stick out.
Advantages :
Excellent in desert setting
Common
Inexpensive
Disadvantages :
Ineffective with foliage
Small range of usable settings

Austrian Dot Camo

This camo consists of brown, green, and black dots mushed together. The dots are larger and farther spaced than flektarn and the brown is more of a muted orangish color. This camo works well where leaves aren’t as thick, or there is a lot of dead leaves, as the colors seem to match up pretty well. This type is much more difficult to find (I have only seen it in t-shirt version), but in my experience, works very well.
Advantages :
Lighter in color (good for dead leaves/autumn)
Less common
Breaks shape up very well
Disadvantages :
Difficult to find
More noticeable in dark terrain

German Flecktarn
(Fleck=Spot, Tarn = Camouflage: translates literally to "spot camo")

This camo is similar to the Austrian dot, but the groupings are smaller and more closely spaced. It has a nice mix of brown and green, so it is versatile like the standard woodland camo. In my experience, it works very well around dead and green leaves. I have yet to find a situation where it does not perform well other than fields, where the small dots seem to clash with the clean vertical lines. The colors are similar to the US woodland camo, but are not as dark and blend better with natural forest colors. (There is a desert Flecktarn camo as well that also works well in the woods during fall and winter months when everything is brown)
Advantages :
Versatile
Breaks up shape very well
Not too dark, not too light
Disadvantages :
Difficult to find
Expensive

German Borderguard Camo

This camo is mostly light brown, with many small scattered vertical lines. It also has olive and redish-brown splotches scattered around it. This seems to work well in areas with dead leaves and tall light brown grass. It works well in the woods too, but in situations with lots of shadows, it can stick out a little. Very few people have this camo, so its somewhat different color scheme would be not be used to.
Advantages :
Works well in fields or anything brown/dead
Unusual color/blotch scheme
Rare
Disadvantages :
Difficult to find
Not as versatile as other patterns

British DPM
(Disruptive Pattern Material)

This is similar to the US woodland camo with its pattern and colors. What sets it apart is that there is more brown than the US camo and the pattern is thinned out more, or it looks more like paint strokes everywhere. I have yet to see this pattern anywhere in the US, but would imagine it works similarly to the US woodland pattern, maybe better because of the greater use of brown. (The soldiers in the movie “28 Days Later” are wearing this)
Advantages :
Versatile
Good color scheme
Rare
Disadvantages :
Very difficult to find
Very expensive

French CCE Camo

This is also similar to the US woodland pattern, but it also uses more brown and has a larger splotch pattern. It is also somewhat lighter in color. I have not seen this pattern in use, but once again, would predict it is similar to the US woodland pattern, versatile. Maybe more effective in woods as brown seems to be more frequent than the excessive amounts of green in the US pattern.
Advantages :
Versatile
Rare
Disadvantages :
Very difficult to find
Expensive
Large pattern might show up against more detailed backdrops (a guess)

Danish Camo

Another pattern similar in design to the german flecktarn style. It consists mostly of a vibrant green, and works well in thick foliage. This pattern would stick out in dead/brown vegatation as it does not contain much of either, although it still works very well to break shapes up.
Advantages
Works well in thick foliage
Not common
Breaks up shape very well
Disadvantages
Very green
Difficult to find
May not work well in all conditions

German Splinter Camo

This is another unique pattern. It is mostly a light green with jagged shapes of brown and darker green scattered. I don’t know much more about this pattern as I have never seen it in person or in use. But I would guess it works well in medium dense foliage and is as versatile as the other patterns.

Well, that covers most types of camo. I did not include realtree or hunting camo, as these work on a different method of concealment. I also did not include snow/urban camo, as its uses are limited in paintball (many of styles do come in those patterns though).

Camouflage pics

(The website with all this stuff is based in the UK, so unfortunately the prices convert to some big $$$ in the US)

98% of american teenagers have tried pot. if you are part of the 2% that hasnt, get some friends.

Last edited by v555ryan : 05-18-2005 at 07:27 AM.
v555ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 08:28 AM   #2
Deceased_Sniper
Team Illusion

Send a message via AIM to Deceased_Sniper Send a message via MSN to Deceased_Sniper
This is awesome man, would be better if you individually posted pictures under each explaination of Camo for other people. Definatly should be added to the Paintball 101 thread. Good Job.
Bob Long ups: Dualies, 108 Frenzy Board

Canadian Mafia
If you shoot faster with your "not normal" hand put this in your sig
This lines dedicated to Lopez17, 4TH, A-5best, Waffle, and everyone else who has helped me out in the
Bob Long forum. Thanks guys!

Ramping is dangerous and cheap, showing no real skill in a player. If you feel this way add this to your sig.
Deceased_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 09:58 AM   #3
PbAllWiZZ
I'm pretty Rank

Send a message via AIM to PbAllWiZZ
Yea, Kudos. And before all the whiny speedballers jump in, there is a contingent of woodsballers on these forums. So if you dont like it dont bother posting.
WAR AGINST RAP!!!
My OldTeam,The Ratpack Homepage
EC Productions [b]
NE PBR Day
PUNK FOR LIFE
PbAllWiZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:08 AM   #4
mo7stanley

Send a message via AIM to mo7stanley
Sticky!! you should probably add a few others for the noobs (like me but younger) who want to buy the orange or the urban or nion green. actually never mind because if they did it would be really fun to shoot them. but I do like the picture idea.
- Pure Energy 72/3000
- Custom Drop Forward
- Custom Products reg & Dye 750 gauge
- Polished Internals
- Macro Line
- Soon to have Custom Grips

Ecclesiastes 9:10
Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the grave, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom.
mo7stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:21 AM   #5
mooseknuckle
¿Que?

Sticky. In the Rec forum.
mooseknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:29 AM   #6
nahthan
Banned

Digital is currently being used by both the Army and Marines. The Army's version, though, lacks in the black and is lighter in color if I remember correctly.
nahthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 12:48 PM   #7
coolrazer
is actually Eric Berry.

Quote:
Originally posted by mooseknuckle
Sticky. In the Rec forum.
Yes. Since all of the Paintball 101 sticky is for speed ball techniques, it would be out of place. It should be stickied, but not with the other 101 threads.

Good job.

ΦΚΨ
coolrazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 12:57 PM   #8
FrOnTmAn4LiFe

Hmm...if I played woodsball I might actually use this...but awesome job man...it shows you put a lot of time and research into this...STICKAHY!!!
FrOnTmAn4LiFe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:00 PM   #9
v555ryan

Ok, made some changes, mostly to the titles of the camouflage haveing links to pics of it on a jacket or something, i think that will make it easier

thanks for the good feedback

(im not like some crazy army guy either, so if any of you are, sorry if i dont know all the actual facts on these things)

98% of american teenagers have tried pot. if you are part of the 2% that hasnt, get some friends.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:08 PM   #10
Deceased_Sniper
Team Illusion

Send a message via AIM to Deceased_Sniper Send a message via MSN to Deceased_Sniper
I like it alot with the links to a picture in the title, very nice man.

I think in Paintballing 101 there should be a Speedball Section and have 101 things for Speedball things, Then this could go under the Woodsball section. Then you can have stuff like "Wiping 101" for like Misc. or both or something...
Bob Long ups: Dualies, 108 Frenzy Board

Canadian Mafia
If you shoot faster with your "not normal" hand put this in your sig
This lines dedicated to Lopez17, 4TH, A-5best, Waffle, and everyone else who has helped me out in the
Bob Long forum. Thanks guys!

Ramping is dangerous and cheap, showing no real skill in a player. If you feel this way add this to your sig.
Deceased_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 04:09 PM   #11
v555ryan

ok, finished with this thing, if you mods think it fits somewhere else like maybe recball, transfer it or whatever you have to do, i just dont want my work to go to waste

Old 05-17-2005, 04:27 PM   #12
pigpower100
Banned

Send a message via AIM to pigpower100
www.webdogradio.us did a show on it
pigpower100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 04:32 PM   #13
Mr Murderdoll89
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Mr Murderdoll89
Definately Sticky worthy. No doubt about it.
Mr Murderdoll89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 04:36 PM   #14
Everlight389

Nice job

Airsoft forums would find some great use for this too
Old 05-18-2005, 06:27 AM   #15
Ghostcom

Great Job!

My only point is to have two different sections on the Marine Digital camo and the Army All-Terrian Digital camo. Since they are different color patterns and different aims....the marines have both woodland and a desert (and a rumor urban digital seen on www.specwargear.com) and the Army uses a pattern that is used in desert, woods, and urban.

We needed this 101, since some of us enjoy wearing camo!

Proud Viper M-1 Military and
DELTA .68 Owner
Ghostcom is offline   Reply With Quote