pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > General Forums > General Paintball Talk

Old 07-05-2005, 11:55 AM   #1
QuiksilverMV
Banned

Send a message via AIM to QuiksilverMV
Post Preparing to Paintball 101

Evryone here loves paintballing more or less, everyone gets excited to go play, but you can't go out and have fun if you're not ready or in the mood, so here's my little guide that I use to have the most fun and my best performance when paintballing.

The Day Before You Paintball

~Your body needs a good night's rest in order for you to be mentally prepared to go and ball, so the day before you go ball do an activity that will get you tied but won't strain your body so you hurt the next day, play alot of soccer that day or go for a bike ride a lot or just run or hang around with your friends, you will fall asleep faster and get a long and very rejuvinating rest.

~Attempt not to eat a lot of junk food. EAT HEALTHY THE DAY BEFORE! For any sport this cannot be stressed enough, if you eat a lot of carbs and junk the day before you ball your body will burn them up very fast early in the day, eat lots of fruits and veggies and DRINK PLENTY OF WATER! But remember DON'T STUFF YOURSELF!

~Get your gun out and clean it, make sure you have some air and put a few shots of air through it, take a bottle of gold cup oil and put 2 drops into the asa hole and put your air in, then wait like 20 seconds and dry fire your gun about 10 times, cehck your gun and tank for any leaks, make sure you have enough battery power on your loader and gun or have extra batteries on hand. A clean gun is a happy gun . Make sure all parts are tightened properly, don't over tighten because if you need to fix your gun at your field it's not gonna be much fun finding out you have to stop playing for a whole day because of a bad screw. Store your gun properly in a case or wrap it up in a towel and store it in a dry non dusty area. Carefully check your loader for ANY and ALL cracks, if you spot any use some ductape or electricians tape, it may look ghetto but it will hold for atleast a day of balling. Also check your mask for damage or cleanliness, if you have a busted mask you are at a great risk to get hurt, also if your mask sin't clean then you can't see and you got a huge smudge bothering you the whole day.

~Make sure you have all your apparel picked out, make sure your equipment is already to be out the door, pretend like your going on a trip and the second you wake up you only have enough time to get up, make your bed, and grab your bag and get out the door. Also pack anything that may be easy to forget at the last second such as a wallet or allen keys. It will suck when you get to the field and just remember to get your wallet with your paint money.

~Before you go to sleep, take atleast 30 minutes to kick back and chill, TIME magazine says that you need atleast 30 minutes of time before you go to sleep to spend with using a TV or a computer, so lye on your bed, read a book or put on the radio and listen to some soft rock or something calm. You will notice that you will fall asleep alot faster and sleep better. Also if you are going to ball in the summer take a chilled shower and turn a fan on or the AC on in your room, you will sleep better when you are not swetting bullets. If it's the winter then turn a fam on in your room and get some heavy blankets and sleep with them, you'll be very comfy and usually won't wake up.

The Day You Go Balling

~The day starts when you wake up, if you have a bad wake up then your gonna be miserable for a while. Wake uo with music on your alarm clock (NOT PREFERED!). Try to have your parents wake you up about two hours before you have to leave. Tell them to come in, open your blinds, and wait a second and if you don't start moving tell them to shake you lightly and ask if you are awake until you respond. Get up make your bed, brush your teeth, then get dressed in your clothes to go play, a shower is a good idea, not matter the temperature take a hot shower, a cold shower will wake you up too fast.

~Next have a good healthy breakfast, have a bowl of wheaties cereal and an apple, DON'T GET TOO FULL! Drink coffee or hot chocolate, even a glass of chocolate milk is good, the cafinee will slowly wake you up.

~Sit down and watch some TV and relax before you get into your car to leave, while you watch TV go through a mental checklist of everything you have, then go into your bag and check it physically. Then sit down and chill.

~When you get inot your car listen to some punk rock or something to get you adrenaline flowing, even as extreme as System of A Down.

At the field

~Get out your gear and check it before your ride leaves, better to be safe than sorry. Check your gun again for leaks and loose parts, then go get your supplies, make sure you get the right paint durability and bore size for minimal breakage. Make sure you have plenty of water or gatorade.

~Do some stretches to prevent from hurting yourself, also warm up your trigger fingers on both hands, just shoot your gun when its off of has no air, just walk the trigger. Do some foot reaches, some balancing on one leg, a few arm stretches would be good, a few sit ups too.

~Lastly, sit out one or two games and watch who your playing against, look how you could play the field and find out a plan. Also between games it would be a good idea to walk the field and check the angles you can play.

~Have fun on a great day of paintballing

Last edited by QuiksilverMV : 07-05-2005 at 12:51 PM.
QuiksilverMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 12:45 PM   #2
STO Balla 22

Send a message via AIM to STO Balla 22
Nice, but go into a bit more detail. For example, give some examples for stretches.

Also, I recommend not having Caffeine in the morning as it will make you need to pee and it will also dehydrate you. I drink Milk in the morning and then all Gatorade and Water at the field. I also recommend a cold shower, so you get woken up and you can get mentally prepared to play.
Tein S-Tech Springs
Black 17x8 Rota Torques
255/45/17 Falken Azenis Tires
20% Tint
Autometer Boost Gauge
STO Balla 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 12:48 PM   #3
QuiksilverMV
Banned

yeah good point, it also depends on how your body works, not everyone has the same metabolism or the same mind so it can vary.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:23 PM   #4
wordf0o
I'm Rich!

Send a message via AIM to wordf0o
Usually before a tourny, I eat carbs the day before so that the starch can kick in the next day. For breakfast, I drink only milk and eat fruits. These fruits are healthy and are simple sugars so they kick in really soon. This way you have the max amount of energy for the tourny.

Its better to walk the field before you play and figure out what you're going to do beforehand.

Quote:
Originally posted by senghing27
w0Rd foo'!@!!!
wordf0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 03:22 PM   #5
iplaynaked
Banned

Send a message via AIM to iplaynaked
breakfast for me=bacon egg and cheese on a plain bagel. Plenty of carbs and protien, and it'll fill you up but won't make you feel stuffed.
iplaynaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 03:26 PM   #6
Paintballshurt
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by STO Balla 22

Also, I recommend not having Caffeine in the morning as it will make you need to pee and it will also dehydrate you. I drink Milk in the morning and then all Gatorade and Water at the field. I also recommend a cold shower, so you get woken up and you can get mentally prepared to play.
You been spying on me, haven't you? Seriously, I do the same things.
Paintballshurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 04:04 PM   #7
pbrascal37

Send a message via AIM to pbrascal37 Send a message via MSN to pbrascal37 Send a message via Yahoo to pbrascal37
good job especially the part about what adn what not to eat it is kind of what they tell you to do before you take a big test at school
1. It costs too much money 2. It's addicting 3. once you try it you can't get enough 4.You mostly get a rush and you can't wait to do it again 5. You always end up hurting the people around you.
pbrascal37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 04:52 PM   #8
Lopez17
Administrator

Just a few nitpicks. 1st. Refrain from drinking caffeinated beverages the morning of. It's a diuretic and will dehydrate you more than it will help you. Drink plenty of fluids the night before you play to ensure you're hydrated well in advance. Drink more water (and a little gatorade if possible) before playing to re-hydrate yourself in the AM. Juice is also good. Your diet should not be an all or nothing proposition. The night before you should be eating starches/carbs, vegetables, fruits, protein but none to excess. Refrain from heavily greased foods or fast food. The morning of, I suggest going light. Maintain your fluids throughout the day (gatorade for electrolyte replenishment and water). I also suggest eating fruit as well. Bananas and Oranges are my recommendations. (Bananas for potassium and oranges for vitamin c and sugar.)

I also recommend cleaning your equipment 3 days before. This gives you time to obtain parts if equipment problems are noticed. Do a doublecheck the night before, but lubing and maintenance should be done well in advance.

Thoroughly stretch prior to and after arriving at the field.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaster
I'd have given someone's arm for a U-Haul and 20 minutes alone with a forklift.
Lopez17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 05:43 PM   #9
QuiksilverMV
Banned

as i said before it's personal preference, some people have different ways, for me I like having atleast a cup of hot chocolate but for anyone else I respect that everyone has a different body.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:50 PM   #10
Crede777
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Crede777
I don't know if I'm jaded because I'm a long distance runner, or what, but I hardly think that a day long tournament warrants carbo-loading and a ton of stretching and preparation. But then I am 17 (young and flexible) and in great shape...

Mostly all I need is a few stretches and a thing of Gatorades.
This space is reserved for Chris (f2f4) and those in service to our country.

Denison '10
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 10:46 PM   #11
CasualtiesPunk
the casualties are lame.

Send a message via AIM to CasualtiesPunk
isnt there already a paintball 101 thread?? you have a good idea, but you should just add on to the thread that is already made to make a super thread.

haha yea. the paintball 101 thread is in this here exact forum lol

Last edited by CasualtiesPunk : 07-05-2005 at 10:49 PM.
CasualtiesPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 11:51 PM   #12
Paintballshurt
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by CasualtiesPunk
isnt there already a paintball 101 thread?? you have a good idea, but you should just add on to the thread that is already made to make a super thread.

haha yea. the paintball 101 thread is in this here exact forum lol
He already knew there was a 101 thread. Quik wants this to be added to the 101 thread, because if you will notice, the 101 thread consists of links to the various other threads. Quik created an entirely new thread because it is better to have another link in the 101 thread rather than an huge text addition directly to the thread.
Paintballshurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 11:56 PM   #13
flyingeagle3
I love caves.......

Before I eat I like to go outside and get my blood moving. It wakes me up and prepares my mind for the rest of the day. While not doing anything strenious. Then i go inside and eat and take my shower.

Quote:
Originally posted by Executioner
"
My friends and I were sitting in the cafeteria freshman year of college and we go to leave and my friend goes no wait! We can't go, he wispers to us that he has a massive boner. So we sit back down and asked him like every 30 secs is it at half-mast captain, we must be on our way. Good times were had by all. "
flyingeagle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 05:30 AM   #14
cocker kid 2k2

Send a message via AIM to cocker kid 2k2 Send a message via Yahoo to cocker kid 2k2
Re: Preparing to Paintball 101

Quote:
Originally posted by QuiksilverMV
wake you up about two hours before you have to leave.
I don't know if i'm the only one to think this, but eff that. I always wake up 10 minutes before I have to leave just to call and make sure my ride is on his way. With all of my stuff packed from the night before, it's a much better way to get some well needed sleep in.

And if you went by that method for a tourney, my team would have to wake up at 2:30 in the morning for certain events.

The rest is good though
cocker kid 2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 06:52 AM   #15
QuiksilverMV
Banned

/\

yeah the rest is good, but you don't want to be stressed out before you leave, cuz then you can forget something or you'll be really nervous or won't get something to eat, i'd say at latest wake up about an hour before you leave.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:28 AM   #16
cocker kid 2k2

Send a message via AIM to cocker kid 2k2 Send a message via Yahoo to cocker kid 2k2
No way dude, no stress at all and dunk'n donuts trip before the field so you don't have to worry about food at your house.
cocker kid 2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 08:46 AM   #17
QuiksilverMV
Banned

good idea didn't think of that, Dunkin' Donuts PWNS, I haven't been there in ages
Old 07-06-2005, 09:41 AM   #18
slaminator3323
Final Fantasy 8 Rocks

You should drink gatorade if you want to get hydrated it has electrolytes in it.
Kila magnetic detents
NDZ Saw trigger
CP two piece
Smoke Reloader B
Jungle Fighters
Got a Tadao board and 360 QEV and haven't played paintball in over a year,(I have bad withdrawals).
slaminator3323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 10:42 AM   #19
Everlight389

I agree with Steven... I don't have to "eat right" or anything like that the day before. If you're in good condition, paintballing isn't that strenous, which is why I reccomend working out pretty often. A good workout (cardio, weights) a couple times a week will do wonders to making you stronger, faster, and a better baller altogether.

Personally, if you're going to wake up right before going, I don't reccomend milk either. Water, gatorade, orange juice, and other fruit juices are better to drink before exercising. Milk, while its something I drink tons of is not good before running. If you have awhile before actually playing, you can drink it, but if within an hour, I personally would skip it and drink something else.

And what Lopez said is right, get your gear in working order a few days before so you can get parts if you need to.

Other than that, nice job
Old 07-06-2005, 09:30 PM   #20
CasualtiesPunk
the casualties are lame.

Send a message via AIM to CasualtiesPunk
Quote:
Originally posted by Paintballshurt

He already knew there was a 101 thread. Quik wants this to be added to the 101 thread, because if you will notice, the 101 thread consists of links to the various other threads. Quik created an entirely new thread because it is better to have another link in the 101 thread rather than an huge text addition directly to the thread.
i see