pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > General Marker Forums > Pump / Stock Markers

Old 07-19-2002, 06:03 PM   #1
inchez

Send a message via AIM to inchez
Kingman Hammer or CCI Phantom?

Im in the process of upgrading my kingman hammer into a decent sniper gun (please don't start this "there is no sniper in paintball bs, and just answer my question), and im hearing that the CCI Phantom is also a very quiet, accurate gun (which is what im looking for). I'm still probly going to go ahead and upgrade my hammer now..but i may eventually get a Phantom. any of you guys know the differences between the hammer and phantom?
inchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 06:56 PM   #2
MeGotzGriffin

Both are nice guns...Phantom anywhere from $150 to $300...Hammer anywhere from $30 to $60...depends on how you want to play and how hard...I LOOOVE my Hammer...but If I had a Phantom I'd love that gun too...Hammers are nice though...theyll treat you well if you treat it good...Ill give you more tomorrow...im gonna fall asleep
MeGotzGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 06:56 PM   #3
MeGotzGriffin

Both are nice guns...Phantom anywhere from $150 to $300...Hammer anywhere from $30 to $60...depends on how you want to play and how hard...I LOOOVE my Hammer...but If I had a Phantom I'd love that gun too...Hammers are nice though...theyll treat you well if you treat it good...Ill give you more tomorrow...im gonna fall asleep
Old 07-19-2002, 07:31 PM   #4
inchez

well, basically what im wanting to know is if the hammer can be a decent sniper gun (quiet and accurate) with upgrades like a new barrel?
Old 07-20-2002, 05:37 AM   #5
Silencer.1

Location: Cold Michigan Member Status: 2yr 10m Member Number: 5683
Send a message via AIM to Silencer.1
Hammers can be upgraded to be similar in performance to a phantom, but for a whole lot less money. It does take time and some custom work though. My personal hammer has been upgraded to oblivion. I'll try and describe the process the best I can.

There are a lot of ways to go when upgrading the hammer but it reallt depends on how you want to play. Personally, I like stock class so I made one of my hammer bodies a ghetto looking stock class. I did that by lopping off the powerfeed (actually the body came used, with it already broken off ). I then took a pvc 90* elbow and carved one end to fit nicely over the feed port and then superglued in on. After numerous games it still hasn't come loose. Tell ya what I'll scan a pic of it and then continue my entire upgrade process.
Attached Images To view attachments your post count must be 0 or greater. Your post count is 0 momentarily.

Administator of Woodland Paintball Forums

240sx SHIFT_Sideways
Silencer.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 05:42 AM   #6
Silencer.1

If you take .75" inner diameter pvc for the feed tube, it fits paint perfectly. I also made a speed loader on the end of the feed tube by taking a straight coupler, gluing some plastic flaps on it and slipping it on the end of the feed tube.
Attached Images To view attachments your post count must be 0 or greater. Your post count is 0 momentarily.

240sx SHIFT_Sideways
Old 07-20-2002, 05:50 AM   #7
Silencer.1

To run it off 12g, you really need to lighten the striker and I'll explain why. When the striker hits the valve, it rebounds backwards a bit. It is then slammmed back forward again reopening the valve and losing 1/2 of a shots worth of co2. This isn't a big deal when using a bulk tank like a 4oz or 9oz cause it's still better than a semi's co2 consumption. However, when using 12g cartridges, you want all the efficiency you can get. So I put one of my strikers in the drop press and bored a .25" diameter hole though it to lose some weight. It's still a bit heavy but the efficiency jumps from 18 shots per cartridge to around 30 shots per cartridge.

240sx SHIFT_Sideways
Old 07-20-2002, 09:30 AM   #8
MeGotzGriffin

Quote:
well, basically what im wanting to know is if the hammer can be a decent sniper gun (quiet and accurate) with upgrades like a new barrel?
Well...yes and no...the gun is alreayd pretty accurate and with a new barrel itd prolly be a lot more quiet and the accuracry might get a little better than it already is...you can also do another thing to help with the accuracy and quietness...when you get your hammer...just take out the bolt and striker and polish them...thatll help a little bit with the noise...it helped a lot with mine...

oh and Sniper.1 your stock gun looks so cool...can you all entertain us with a pic of the whole gun?...and around the front of the body...is that a spring wrapped around the gun??
Old 07-20-2002, 03:52 PM   #9
inchez

well i don't think im going to go through all that stuff with taking apart and putting on those PVC pipes and stuff...im horrible at that kind of stuff. basically what im wondering is what all can i do to it to make it a great sniping gun? i'm obviously going to put on the 14inch J&J, but what else should i get? i may consider a red dot sight....anything else?? please all you other snipers out there help me out a bit...or anybody that knows what im looking for and can help. thanks
Old 07-20-2002, 05:23 PM   #10
MeGotzGriffin

Red face ok

Being a sniper isnt all about the equipment...its 30% equipment, 70% YOU...but to answer your question...this might help...Sniper HQ
Old 07-20-2002, 05:34 PM   #11
inchez

oh, you know about paintball gods too?! thats cool, that is the site i get a lot of my sniping tactics from...good site.
Old 07-20-2002, 05:38 PM   #12
MeGotzGriffin

cool

Hmmm...oh well...I thought it'd help...theres really nothing more you can do for the gun
J&J
Sight...
the only other thing I can think of for you to do is to polish the internals...and to practice some sniping
Old 07-20-2002, 05:43 PM   #13
inchez

polish the internals? can you help me out w/ that a bit..i've never done that. how do you do it and with what? also, what internals? everything?
Old 07-20-2002, 05:53 PM   #14
MeGotzGriffin

ok

All you do is dissasemble the gun...take the bolt and the striker...take some light sand paper (I dunno how sandpaper is rated) and lightly sand the bolt and the striker (Make sure the o-ring is take off of the bolt...and thats pretty much it...sand both of them untill they both feel pretty smooth to the touch...and if you want to you can also sand the lip of the bolt so it cups the ball better...less breaks...
Old 07-20-2002, 05:55 PM   #15
MeGotzGriffin

oh yeah...oil them too before you put them back in
Old 07-20-2002, 08:01 PM   #16
Silencer.1

Dang, I go to work and you guys talk up a storm!

I would love to get you guys a full pic of my gun but it may take a few days since I don't have a digicam . That sping around the front is a custom made pump handle return spring. All I need to do is pull back .

As for the polishing, if you are going to be doing a really good job, first start with 400 grit to get rid of burrs. Then switch to a 600 and finally finish it of with 1000 grit. Then take some good metal polish to it, preferable something made for brass and aluminium.

I personally can't say I'm a sniper since I play as a frontman in speedball with my setup. I can tell you right now, I RULE the snake! With my setup I can hit a pie plate 9 of 10 times at 100ft. That's about as good as it gets for accuracy.

As for being the best you can be, there are a few things your gun needs. I'll esplain each point as we go.

1. You
2. A good barrel
3. A way to aim it
4. A hopper
5. A co2 tank

1. You

This is pretty obvious, but many people overlook it. You need to be a good shot, the best gun it the world isn't going to matter if you can't be a stable shooting platform.

2. A good barrel

A good barrel and paint to barrel match is key to accuaracy in any gun. I've pesonally found that a cp .689 fits marbs perfect and they in turn fly true for me.

3. A way to aim it

You need some way to point the barrel where you want it every time. The easiest way i've found is a cheap red dot sight made by adco that you can get at Walmart for $13. Another good one is a fiber optic pin made by BE or Daisy (I can't remember) that costs about $3 at Walmart.

4. A hopper

Some where you need to put the paint in. I personally like either 15 rnd direct feed tube through the powerfeed or a 15 rnd stock class tube. I like small hoppers cause your gun is therefore lighter and faster to aim. Not only that you can run a hell of a lot faster with a lighter load of paint on you.

5. A co2 tank

Yes co2, not hpa. Co2 has a few advantages for pumps the primary of which is size to shot number ratio. A small 4oz tank of co2 can give you 400+ shots on a pump, while any hpa system will be considerably larger and heavier. Co2 is also much, much cheaper and since you are playing pump, you aren't looking to spend much $$$. Also, if you use more than 400 shots in 2 hours of play, you should be looking into a semi cause you're using the autotrigger WWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY too much.

I hope this all helps you out.

240sx SHIFT_Sideways

Last edited by Silencer.1 : 07-20-2002 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-21-2002, 07:11 AM   #17
Murph1
Don't become this guy \/

Quote:
Originally posted by Silencer.1
If you use more than 400 shots in 2 hours of play, you should be looking into a semi cause you're using the autotrigger WWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY too much.
That's true. You are also going into my sig, coz that one's funny as hell

celebrity victims:
Charlie Moore (Local celebrity. New England fishing show host.)
Murph1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 08:24 AM   #18
Silencer.1

Woohoo! I've been quoted!

240sx SHIFT_Sideways
Old 07-21-2002, 08:37 AM   #19
MeGotzGriffin

Co2

Yeah If you get a Co2 tank of any size either get a lot of 12 grams, or a 4 oz. the highest you could go really for weight and comfortability (is that a word?...or do I need to go back to school?) is prolly a 12 oz...dont be stupid like me and use a 20 oz. directly on the gun w/ no remote LOL
Old 07-21-2002, 08:39 AM   #20
MeGotzGriffin

Hey Silencer!

I just have to say now that you are a pball god to me...all of the things I've done to my Hammer have made it work awesome now...the thing works so smoothly now b/c of all of the mods ive done to it...thanks for the ideas!