pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Specific Marker Forums > Tippmann

View Poll Results: Do you polish?
Yes 33 76.74%
No! 10 23.26%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2006, 12:50 PM   #1
Dr.Bong 4:20
Banned

To Polish or not to Polish?

Why do people Polish their internals? The only part that moves inside the a-5 is the valve, which is inside the power tube. Nothing else is really moving around. Also Tippmann doesn't recommend doing this because you can over polish and cause micro leaks and you really dont want that!
Dr.Bong 4:20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 01:46 PM   #2
no_pain_no fun
Peanut Butter???

Send a message via Yahoo to no_pain_no fun
tha bolt moves

polish it if you have time

"At least I'm a good ION Noob"-BaZerK

"no pait no fun, go suck on a railroad spike" -Neon Lites

no_pain_no fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 05:51 PM   #3
A-5 user
CERTIFIED A-5 "genious"

Send a message via AIM to A-5 user
You are wrong my friend. The front bolt and rear hammer which opens the valve move. I think you have your info wrong because the bolt/powertube take the most minimal movements. People polish their internals because it makes everything move smoother in theory. I dont see how it would cause leaks. Maybe polishing or drilling your valve could, but polishing the parts of the reciever where the bolts move couldn't cause any major harm unless you really milled them out. But then again people who do the 98c quick strip mod (you cut one receiver half in half) don't have problems either... Alright I just realized I am rambling so I'll stop now.

EDIT: When polishing use steel wool ^_^
14" dye UL
macdev legionair 68/45 w/ red empire cover
--------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally posted by PMF987
Thats it A-5user you are a certified A-5 genious!
A-5 user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 06:13 PM   #4
Cpt. Morgan
Advocatus diaboli

As stated above. Polishing the internals allows for smother operation... a lot smother. Why? The rear bolt which is put back in place by blow-back gas (hence why this gun or any gun using a counter weight in it, is called a "blow-back") requires less pressure to reset because their is less friction between the bolt and the gun (because you polished the internals, there is less friction between the bolts {both front and rear} and the internals thus meaning less gas used to move the bolts thus meaning increased efficiency). The actual internals of the gun will cycle slightly faster, be smother and efficiency will be increased because the operating pressure (the pressure the gun needs to re-cock itself) will be lower (also allowing for slightly more shots per tank.

Its a very efficient thing to do especially plus a reg. I'm doing it within the next week.

As for micro leaks... I don't see how unless you really really really went at it which I don't think anyone has done. No one is milling the guns internal metals so I don't see how. Your not screwing around with the actual power tube so I'm 98% sure causing micr-leaks is impossible (unless you ruin the gun). But I'm not sure. Someone should look into it.
Paintball is a sport that is it's own worst enemy. From gun owners ruining the average "weekend warrior" with a Shocker to some yahoo shooting up his neighbours house with a BE Talon. If you want paintball to not be limited by bad reputation and government, then speak up for YOUR sport or You may not have one oneday.
Cpt. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 06:18 PM   #5
TESballer

For example, ever seen a spyder shoot? (duh)

The bolt on top that moves rapidly every time the the gun shoots, that same amount of fast movement goes on within the A-5, you just don't see it.
TESballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 06:19 PM   #6
palidon11
professional ***** lurker

Send a message via AIM to palidon11 Send a message via MSN to palidon11
yeah, i wouldnt recommend using a dremel for polishing. use #000 non abrasive steel wool..

Last edited by palidon11 : 04-30-2006 at 06:21 PM.
palidon11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 08:12 PM   #7
no_pain_no fun
Peanut Butter???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Morgan
As stated above. Polishing the internals allows for smother operation... a lot smother. Why? The rear bolt which is put back in place by blow-back gas (hence why this gun or any gun using a counter weight in it, is called a "blow-back") requires less pressure to reset because their is less friction between the bolt and the gun (because you polished the internals, there is less friction between the bolts {both front and rear} and the internals thus meaning less gas used to move the bolts thus meaning increased efficiency). The actual internals of the gun will cycle slightly faster, be smother and efficiency will be increased because the operating pressure (the pressure the gun needs to re-cock itself) will be lower (also allowing for slightly more shots per tank.

Its a very efficient thing to do especially plus a reg. I'm doing it within the next week.

As for micro leaks... I don't see how unless you really really really went at it which I don't think anyone has done. No one is milling the guns internal metals so I don't see how. Your not screwing around with the actual power tube so I'm 98% sure causing micr-leaks is impossible (unless you ruin the gun). But I'm not sure. Someone should look into it.

I think your over estimating it a LITTLE bit
your talking verry small amounts of efesantiy

Old 04-30-2006, 08:38 PM   #8
hybrid-sniper

Send a message via AIM to hybrid-sniper Send a message via MSN to hybrid-sniper
I did it because i had the time to do so. Not sure if the benefits are very obvious, but it has reduced the wear and tear on my bolt which is always nice.

I'll keep it short and sweet. Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed. - Montgomery Burns
But it would be just like you to drag your keyboard to a gunfight - Bane

Awake. Arise. Eat. Work. ****. Sleep. Awake. Arise.
hybrid-sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:04 AM   #9
Trulyoldnavy

Quote:
Originally Posted by palidon11
yeah, i wouldnt recommend using a dremel for polishing. use #000 non abrasive steel wool..
A dremel with polishing wheels and Mothers Mag works very well with less abrasion than steel wool. It's what I used initially to get a nice mirror finish on my internals. Now every time I clean the marker I just touch it up with a rag, a little polish and some elbow grease. My efficiancy increased noticably after polishing.
Trulyoldnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:22 PM   #10
cogs759

Ah, Mother's mag. . . Probably the best ting to happen to my tippmann ever... Used it for both the internals, and barrel inside. (After finding a good paint/bore match and polishing that barrel, I could swear that my stock barrel is as accurate as most of the cheaper aftermarket barrels.)

Last edited by cogs759 : 05-02-2006 at 08:31 AM.
cogs759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 01:16 AM   #11
Monkeyeez
"I'm Coming For You!!"

One cool thing about tippmanns is that you really don't have to polish them. Just play w/ it for a long time even let it get a lil dirty. It will polish its self over time. Then just open it and clean it. It should have worn on any areas that you would have wanted to polish.

Set Up:98C w/ 24 Oz Co2 Tank, Remote, X Chamber (As Stock), Palmer Stab, LP Kit, Dark Harizon Lite Bolt, Toxic DT, "home mods", 13" Empire twister, Halo B. W.A.S. E Grip Next.

God, Jesus, and The Holy Ghost! Who's got your back?
Proud to say I'm a Christian saved by the blood of Christ... are you?
Monkeyeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 06:57 PM   #12
robspar1
Paint Sponge

Send a message via ICQ to robspar1 Send a message via AIM to robspar1 Send a message via Yahoo to robspar1
I'll polish mine when I get around to it (that is, probably never ).
Old 05-02-2006, 07:36 PM   #13
no_pain_no fun
Peanut Butter???

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid-sniper
I did it because i had the time to do so. Not sure if the benefits are very obvious, but it has reduced the wear and tear on my bolt which is always nice.
exacaly lol like i said if you have time
i cant really see a oboise benefit ither. but i know it does help now that i have a reg (along with leaving my gun cocked over night) i can easaly run the gun at 600 psi or a lil less

Old 05-15-2006, 04:44 PM   #14
HCOdye

how do you polish ur gun anyway?...and what does it do?
HCOdye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:51 PM   #15
Cocktail97

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCOdye
how do you polish ur gun anyway?...and what does it do?
Do you.....not read?
Lapco A-5 Long Foregrip
OPSGEAR AK Folding Stock
OPSGEAR UMP Gas Thru MAG
Tactical Vest
Remote Line
20 Oz Co2 Tank
V-Force Armour Mask
CADPAT Camo.

My Feedback:
http://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=joseph.huynh&ite m=-1&frm=1883

http://www.pbreview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365885

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mec
I could go outside right now and run my A-5 over with my truck and it would be ready to go tomorrow for my scenerio game.
Cocktail97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:38 AM   #16
compasteedee

I polished my internals of my 98 custom a while back, but I now have a problem, my gun double fires. When I did it I actually polished less than I though I should because I didn't want to run the risk of wreaking my gun. I tested my marker shortly after and found it was double firing, but thought it was no big problem, because after all it was set to almost max velocity, so I turned it down and tried to tune it. However, it didn't stop double firing until the velocity screw was in as far as it could go.

Now, to be honest with you I'm not entirely sure if is directly related to the internal polish, but I checked and rechecked the assembly, and went through everything that Tippmann recommends in their troubleshooting guide, and the problem persists.

any suggestions??
compasteedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:56 PM   #17
Elfasto
The Full-Camo Mechanic.

Send a message via AIM to Elfasto Send a message via MSN to Elfasto
Quote:
Originally Posted by robspar1 View Post
I'll polish mine when I get around to it (that is, probably never ).

Same here. Keep it clean, keep it lubed, and the parts will break in to each other naturally.
Tippmann 8" "suppressed" (fake) barrel
JCS Octagon front bolt.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...1/DSC00520.jpg
Elfasto is offline   Reply With Quote