pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > General Forums > New Paintballers

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 02:45 PM   #1
c_fish

Tippmann 98 VS ION

This will be my first gun.I like woodsball and I had picket the 98 but I see many guys suggesting the ION.ION costs about 200$ and Tippmann about the same if you upgrade it with response trigger and a decent barrell.
What advantages or disadvantages has the ION to the above mentioned Tippmann?Is ION's supplied barrell any good?Does it have easy maintenance?
From pics I get the idea that ION has its feeder elbow in the middle so you cant aim or put a red dot sight on it right?
Old 09-12-2006, 03:05 PM   #2
drchocolate176
Used Register

Send a message via AIM to drchocolate176
the ion will require a little more maintenance, but it blows the 98 out of the water. as far as advantages go, the ion is better in nearly every way. the only bad thing i can think of is that the ion's stock barrel and feedneck are crap. also......please, please, if you get an ion, do NOT attempt to put a red dot sight on. you can easily aim by putting the tank on your shoulder (no drop forwards) and looking down the side of the gun.

Jungle Fighter

Old 09-12-2006, 03:20 PM   #3
413sonix
Banned

Send a message via AIM to 413sonix
Jesus. No way in hell will a Tippmann 98 be better than a Ion ever. The only thing is you have to maintain the Ion or else it'll break. After every case of paint you must take the bolt out of the Ion and lube it with Smart Parts Shocker lube or equivelent and you should run a Compressed Air/Nitro/HPA tank. A anti-siphoned tank works fine on the Ion but in the long run it breaks the gun. You'll also need to use a Halo B, Empire B or Viewloader VLocity hopper for the gun to reach maximum performance stock. Then there's tons of upgrades for the Ion. But if you have no experience with paintball at all and can't strip down a basic Tippmann or Spyder without troubles DON'T get the Ion. Its better in every way over a Tippmann 98 except that the Tippmann 98 is easier to take apart and barely requires any maintenance. If it does need maintenance as long as you have the diagram of the gun you should be able to assemble/dissasemble the gun fine. Plus like I said for the Ion you need to use a HPA tank which can run $80 for the cheaper smaller ones and up to $300 for the larger higher end tanks. Then the hoppers will all be in the $100-$160 range. If you don't use a force fed loader then the gun won't perform good. So for you I'd say buy a Tippmann 98 Custom and then upgrade to a Ion once you have some paintballing experience under your belt. And if you put a sight or tried to make the gun look like a military like gun people would laugh. If you want a military style gun with the Ion's performance look at the Smart Parts SP-8. It has the performance of the Ion with a military styled body. But it is around $300. Also a Tippmann 98 Custom shouldn't be $200. They're only $140 for the marker and the barrel. Then you can get a hopper for $5 and a cheap 20oz. CO2 tank for $20-$30. Then a good mask for around $40-$50. Everything you need to play. After you may want a pods. Very good idea. So you should get the stuff I listed.

Tippmann 98 Custom-$140
VL 200 round hopper-$5
20oz. CO2 tank-$20-$30
Good anti-fog mask-$40-$50
Pods+pod pack-NXe 3 pod pack for $12 and 3 pods $9-$12

This is a good beginners setup.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:58 PM   #4
c_fish

I live in Greece so,just to have under consideration,the prices are about 30% up here and in Euro shops too.The SP-8 is too rich for my blood.I was thinking going for HPA from the start.The red dot sight would be just for not waiting where the 1st shot lands.I have some experience with real guns so I guess maintenance wouldn't be much trouble.
What I'd like you to make clear to me is in which way the ION is better.If it is just a matter of more bps then its kind of useless because usually auto bursts are not allowed in the fields (at least the one I played at) and I'm not attracted to speedball (at least for now).Also if the gun weighs 1/2 a kilo more isnt that big a deal.It's just that I preffer spending 70$ more at start,if its worthwile,than buying an ION later on.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:13 PM   #5
413sonix
Banned

Send a message via AIM to 413sonix
The Ion is more efficent. You get more shots per tank than a Tippmann. Tippmann's are infamous for being gas hogs. Now I know that there's 2 versions of the Ion. Here in the U.S.A. the Ion has 4 modes. Semi auto, RT, auto, and another mode I think 15 BPS cap. Then there's a U.K version. It only has 2 modes. Semi auto and RT. Automatic guns of any type aren't allowed in the U.K. Now I know that isn't Greece but it might be similar. The Ion is capped at 17 BPS with the stock board in semi automatic. Pretty fast. You can get a T-board with much more modes and uncapped rate of semi automatic fire. The Ion is more consistent. It comes with a regulator. While not great its 50x better than Tippmann's gas-thru. The Ion also has less kick. You'll like the Ion later on. If you want to get really serious about paintball you could upgrade the Ion to compete with DM6's or other really high end guns. But stock it needs lots of parts to compete with a really high end gun. I'm not sure about the weight. Remember though, working on the Ion will be way different than a real rifle or firearm. You have tons of wires, air hoses, and parts to break or damage if you don't maintain it properly. But if you read the manual before you fire it and take it apart and make sure the bolt is lubed up and the regulator is set down to 0 psi it should be fine. You should also lube the Ion after every 2,000 shots or every case.(case=2,000 shots) But if you bought the Ion all you'd really need are thermal goggles so they don't fog up and a good HPA tank (Crossfire, MacDev, and Centerflag make excellent HPA tanks), and a Halo B, Empire B, or Viewloader VLocity hopper so it'll feed fast enough.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:45 PM   #6
pbmike1888

if speedball doesnt appeal to you then do not get the ion. it will break before you can even learn how to strip it down. a tippmann 98 will be all you need. maybe not even a 98. its the most durable gun out there, but by no means the most efficient or the fastest. cheaper spyders also make decent woodsball guns, but require a little bit more maintenance, but will give you a little speed over stock tippmanns. im picking up a refurbished spyder imagine. 60 bucks and shoots 13 bps out of the box.

BEST OFFER TILL I FIGURE OUT A PRICE.lol
Old 09-12-2006, 07:42 PM   #7
soccerjacks12
My Killer Puppy ate Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmike1888 View Post
if speedball doesnt appeal to you then do not get the ion. it will break before you can even learn how to strip it down. a tippmann 98 will be all you need. maybe not even a 98. its the most durable gun out there, but by no means the most efficient or the fastest. cheaper spyders also make decent woodsball guns, but require a little bit more maintenance, but will give you a little speed over stock tippmanns. im picking up a refurbished spyder imagine. 60 bucks and shoots 13 bps out of the box.
Ion are fantastic in woodsball. And the two-things that the 98C has over the Ion are a)feedneck, b)durability.
As for the Imagine, I'd actually go for that. Even if an Ion isn't very complicated, it can still be too overwhelming for a newer player. A spyder is the user friendly gun, very simple design.
Anarchy OG Midwest Posse OG
Old 09-12-2006, 07:58 PM   #8
Ebonclaw
Registered Member

If you would never ever take the gun apart and even if you did wouldn't have a clue with what you were doing, or if you suck at maintaining stuff (The Ipn's not HARD, it's just tricky to get it apart and back together) get the 98. It will work two years later with no oil. Granted you should always keep any gun lubed, but the 98 will probably be still working, a bit rough, but working.

If you want high performance, lightweight (and honestly, when properly maintained the durability of a '98), and tourney style markers, get the Ion. Just take care of it and go really really slow until you learn what you're doing. Be prepared to invest a bit more money for the accessoriers if you go the Ion route, but it will be a much better gun, both now and in the long run.

"Accuracy by volume is still accuracy nonetheless."
Old 09-12-2006, 08:21 PM   #9
LAMANTEthePBguy
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to LAMANTEthePBguy
The Ion comes with a regulator and a decent barrel. That alone would make me want it over the 98c. They are two things that will drastically improve accuracy and shot grouping. I'm not sure on the price difference, but The ion has much better parts stock. Could you list us some prices (in whatever)? Who knows, maybe there is a much larger price difference over there than here that could help the decision.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:42 AM   #10
c_fish

Here are some prices from greek online pball thieves...ooops, I meant shop

ION 265,Tippmann 98 custom 180,alumunum HPA 48Ci 3000psi with regulator 100,VL Revoluttion X-board feeder 60.

Prices are in EUROS so multiply the prices with about 1.3.

Real bargain huh?
Old 09-29-2006, 06:29 AM   #11
sidewinderwcc

hey man i am not an expert but i play strictly woodsball and have tried many guns. the gun i use is a 98 custom with a responce. but it is really just what you prefer.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:41 AM   #12
dapaintball12

Send a message via AIM to dapaintball12
Imagine. Cheap and easy to maintain if any maintanance at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOAO_Cyrus View Post
Ok thanks for the tips. What is the advantage of getting Anti-Siphoned over Un-Anti-Siphoned?

PS which website is proshop? I did a google search but I keep getting golf equipment sites.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:23 PM   #13
dead head
HK HK HK

Send a message via AIM to dead head
ion > tippmann 98

simple answer to a simple question.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:37 PM   #14
iliveforthis99
Maher

Ion>imagine>98c.
Since this is your first i'd get the imagine and learn to work on that and play. Then maybe later get the ion or something else.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:34 PM   #15
dapaintball12

Send a message via AIM to dapaintball12
I agree th imagin will be the best gun and value for a begginner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOAO_Cyrus View Post
Ok thanks for the tips. What is the advantage of getting Anti-Siphoned over Un-Anti-Siphoned?

PS which website is proshop? I did a google search but I keep getting golf equipment sites.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:38 PM   #16
trigiani

Send a message via MSN to trigiani
Having shot only the Imagine and 98 extensively, I prefer the 98.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:41 PM   #17
Elite virus
Painballer

Why does this thread keep happening?!

This line is in rememberance of the MS paint thread click it to remember.

"Our arrows will blot out the sun"
"Then we will fight in the shade" - 300
Old 09-29-2006, 09:29 PM   #18
ImAraIda1960

i suggest the ion. it is not very hard to take apart the only thing u need to watch out for are the eyes and thats not a huge issue.. for more info visit nicksdistortion.com

Yes I shoot an Ion , say what you want not all of us are rich kids that use their parents to buy them $1000 guns as their first and it is the best bang for the buck.
Blue Ion
New Designz Roller Trigger (Metalic Blue)
Trinity Feedneck (Blue)
Viewloader Evolution II with Z board
Smart Parts 68/45 tank with max-flo
Soon to come: QEV, CP 2 piece Barrel...EGO!!! (well the EGO will come eventually...)

Old 09-29-2006, 10:08 PM   #19
HoSTiLe
Hostile-Forces.net

Send a message via AIM to HoSTiLe Send a message via MSN to HoSTiLe
I honestly think that if you're going to upgrade your 98c with a response trigger and barrel kit, go with it. I'd recommend a double trigger upgrade too but thats the tournament player in me talking. Tippmann 98c is a tank, you can throw it in a river, run it over with your car, and it will never stop working. I've had mine for about 4 years, left it compressed for probably 1 year, shot 6 month old paint out of it that hadn't been rotated, and only cleaned the thing once in the time i've had it. Although I didn't even really have to clean it because i opened it up and it was perfectly clean inside anyways so i just oiled the bolt before my girlfriend used it (about 3 months ago). It's all you really need for a woodsball player.

The most important upgrade though is a barrel kit! GET IT! Without it your balls will drop off way too quickly to hit anything from a distance. I'd recommend the flatline barrel for it. It's a bit pricey but you'll be thankful you have it.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:55 AM   #20
skankdrummer
swear filter

Send a message via AIM to skankdrummer Send a message via Yahoo to skankdrummer
if your new get a 98 its fool prof. trust me it was my first. i now have an ion it is real good. id say get a tippy first see how you like it then wait to get a better gun.

Pokemon RED OWNZ
Ivysoar OWNZ
Sonic the hedghog OWNZ
PBRCHAT OWNZ
Closed Thread