pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > General Forums > New Paintballers

Old 01-16-2007, 06:06 AM   #1
Kuya Don
Kuya

Talking How bout a lil advise

I recently began playing paintball this past weekend. I've found a new addiction. . .uh, I mean hobby. I've been using a friends Spyder Elite Semi-Auto. It's about 3-4 years old but haven't had any problems with it yet (2 full days of use so far). He's giving me the option to buy it, just name my price. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and buy it and if so, how much should I offer. Or if I should buy a new marker, and which markers I should be looking to. And yeah, whatever marker I do end up buying I plan on upgrading. So any and all advise is welcome. Thanks!!
Kuya Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:31 AM   #2
LAMANTEthePBguy
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to LAMANTEthePBguy
A working 3-4 year old mechanical Spyder should go for no more than $25 (meaning offer less and max out at $25). You can get a refurbished electronic spyder for $60-70, which is a lot better. And personally, I would buy it as long as you feel comfortable that it will work for a while. It's gonna suck and you will be outgunned if you play at a field, but I think it's a cheap way to get into the sport. Obviously you're hooked, but this will let you play cheaply until you can actually learn the sport. This way you don't waste your money on a beginner marker that you will ditch soon anyway. You also won't waste your money on a high end marker that you don't really know if you like. Even if you use the Spyder for only a couple months it will still allow you to get exposed to a lot of different markers so you can actually see what you want instead of just reading about them on the forums.
LAMANTEthePBguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:50 AM   #3
samurai2828

^ I agree.

Spyders are great markers, and are pretty reliable. Especially for beginners because they are cheap to buy and upgrade. Plus, many many upgrades.

If I were you, I'd buy it, and use it until your addiction forces you to buy another. But for now, it shall suit you really well.

UPGRADES I'd Reccomend:
1. New Barrel, unless he has one.
-J & J Ceramics are cost effective, but amazing!

2. X-Chamber or Regulator
-Personally, I'd go with the Palmers Male Stabalizer. Works with Co2 and HPA!

3. New Bolt and or Internals
-You can find venturi bolts all over the net for Spyders. They help with smoothness of operation, and air efficiency.

4. HPA!
-Converting to HPA over Co2 is huge. HPA is much more consistant, clean and safe. Co2 tends to wear down O-Rings after a while, and can damage internals after a while!

5. E-Grip
-E-grip allows you to use full auto, 3, and 6 round bursts, and semi.

Hope it helps!
Old 01-16-2007, 07:51 AM   #4
413sonix
Banned

Send a message via AIM to 413sonix
Yeah I wouldn't pay more than $25. A mechanical Spyder is cheap. It doesn't need an electronic loader lowering the costs and it you don't waste as much paint and Co2/HPA because you're limited to slower rates of fire. I've been playing with my mech Sonix Pro for six months and I'm doing good. Having a worse gun teaches you to rely on yourself instead of your firepower. I'd buy it, get good with it, and when you feel like it's holding you back, sell it for an electronic Spyder like a VS2. Or upgrade to a ProMaster or DP Fusion or Rex Type R or R3. Keep in mind with one of these electro's you'll need HPA. Or you could even buy a Zip Kit turning the Spyder into a high end.
413sonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 08:25 AM   #5
DaBXRoMeO
First Round Draft Pick...

i just sold my mech. spyder compact for $75 :-x

but then again everything on the gun was completely upped except for the trigger...so i dunno...
Empire B2 Loader
NitroDuck X-Stream 70ci/4500 (Adjustable)
Strange NXe Pro Elevation Pack
VForce Grill

Sponsors:
Speed Feed,AllPaintballSupplies.com, Hornet's Nest
DaBXRoMeO is offline   Reply With Quote