pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Specific Marker Forums > Tippmann

Old 09-18-2009, 11:01 PM   #321
Rathax

Help please.

Hi, I'm sorta new to paint balling and I did have a question ( and I do hope this is the right place to post it ) about sorta an upgrade. I was going to get a paintball gun soon hopefully, and ( because the economy and all that) I was wondering about offsets. Or, more specifically, about the offsets for a Tippmann 98 custom. I was wondering if I needed an offset for mine ( When I finally get my marker ) to attach a sight rail, and then the sight itself? I just looks like from the photos I've seen, that the hopper would get in the way, but then I see ones WITH sights that don't have offsets ( I think ). I was going to get the marker ( it comes with a mask, the Co2 tank, a 6+1, a 200 round hopper, the cleaning stuff, the 140 (( 6 of them )) pods, the wrenchs, etc. But sadly no paintballs, and now I have to dish out like 50 more bucks just for them...), and later ( After I get more money ) a pack that includes a 16' BT-16 Tippmann 98 Custom barrel, stock, and bi-pod, then buy a large fixed weaver sight rail, and then finally a red dot sight ( or red dot scope ).

Can you help me? Thanks either way for your time!
Rathax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:32 PM   #322
Corrupted355
Addict

Send a message via AIM to Corrupted355
You really only need a sight offset if you have a stock. The reason for this is because with a stock, you can't get your head behind the marker to look through the sight. There are two rails on the top of your 98: one standard dovetail and one 7/8" dovetail that acts a picatinny rail without the picatinny's.

On my own A-5, I have attached a Lapco offset rail that puts anything the fits on the standard dovetail at a 45* angle to the left. It works well for sighting in, but setting up the sight can be a little bizzare, since the rail rotates the adjustment points to an angle.

Corrupted355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:35 AM   #323
Coenen
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Coenen Send a message via Yahoo to Coenen
If you're really that worried about the economy and saving money you wouldn't be buying an offset rail and aftermarket optics anyway. A paintball marker is not a firearm, and a paintball is not a bullet. The only equipment you should need to accurately (...and I use the term loosely since paintballs are inherently in-accurate) fire a paintball out to it's maximum effective range are working eyeballs and a quality paintball mask.

You can skip the scope, bi-pod, M-16 lookalike barrel, and stock as well. I'd guess that the savings from not buying that stuff will buy you something on the order of 2-3 cases of paint. Those M-16 barrel kits aren't exactly great shakes anyway from what I've heard, unless you get the APEX tipped versions.

You're getting your first marker, it's a low end mechanical, and you want to save a few bucks. Keep it simple, get the gun, get a nice aftermarket barrel for about $30-45 like a J&J or Custom Products in about 12-14" get a 16 or 20 ounce CO2 tank and call it a day.

Looking cool does not get you extra eliminations. Setting up your bi-pod and looking through your scope and sniping will not get you extra eliminations. Saving money on upgrades and using it to buy paint and get lots of quality experience playing paintball, THAT will start getting you a few extra eliminations. The most important upgrade is yourself through playing experience, believe it.
Coenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:26 AM   #324
Rathax

Thanks! That's some helpful advice! But I do have a another question. Would you recommend a J&J or a Custom Products? Just asking because if they're the same price, I'd want the better one ( More Bang for my buck lol ).
Thanks again!
Rathax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:46 AM   #325
Corrupted355
Addict

They're about the same, performance wise. The major difference is that you can usually pick the exact CP bore and length you want, whereas with the J&J, you only get to choose the length at that price.

Now, if you want to move up to a barrel kit, the J&J Edge is VERY nice for the price.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:17 PM   #326
combat karl

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by E r y k View Post
will it be better if i got a aluminum valve??
if not, i might just dig out 20 extra bucks for a v/a... and get and expansion chamber which i dont really want...

I'm not really sure to get a stab or x-chamb cause i dont play alot.

eryk
i think the aluminum valve is a good choice, interesting project, the new valve should add the strenth ur lookin for, kinda look like a tippmann efects marker in the end.. cool
combat karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:27 PM   #327
Corrupted355
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat karl View Post
i think the aluminum valve is a good choice, interesting project, the new valve should add the strenth ur lookin for, kinda look like a tippmann efects marker in the end.. cool
Dude, you just responded to a post that is over six years old. The date on the post is 02-14-2003. The guy who made that post has only posted in two topics this year, and hasn't had any activity before that since 2007.

You really need to start checking the dates on the stuff you're responding to. The issue in question is long since forgotten about, much less relevant.