pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Specific Marker Forums > Tippmann

Old 05-09-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
Paintball nube

Question about Barrels

hi there, im looking to get a upgraded barrel from the stock one for my sierra one. A guy wants to sell me a 14" "Big Shot" barrel from his A5. Would this work? or do only custom 98 barrels fit a sierra one? THANKS!
Paintball nube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
Corrupted355
Addict

Send a message via AIM to Corrupted355
No, A-5 threads are different from 98 threads. The two aren't even close. The Big Shot is a good barrel, but one with A-5 threads won't work for you.

Corrupted355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:07 AM   #3
Paintball nube

yep thats what i thought , the guy was trying to convince me it would fit. just to sell it i guess
Old 05-10-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
Orpackrat

How much did he want for it .

Here is a neat bit, you can have your stock barrel custom bored for $30 and then buy a Freak Kit. It will look like a stock barrel but it will shoot like a nice barrel kit.
Barrel kit backs ................
Modified Apex tip ..............
Fully Upgraded Cyclone .....
450 round hopper .............
Super RT .......................
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluShift View Post
I'm tempted to add this to my signature....
Orpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:33 AM   #5
Paintball nube

i actually ended up buying a cheap barrel thats supposed to be real good for the price. But i was wondering, is it really bad for the threads if you take off and put on the barrel a lot?. I got a 16" barrel and it doesnt fit in the bag i use to take it to the field. So ive been taking it off and on.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:34 AM   #6
Bigjoe11

Nope the threads are sturdy, although you might wear down the barrel oring after doing that a lot, but that will take a VERY long time (years) and it's real easy to replace.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:44 AM   #7
Corrupted355
Addict

I take the barrel on and off the marker every time I play, and often many times during the day. In the dozens upon dozens of markers and barrels I've owned over the years, I've never had a set wear out because of threading.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:26 AM   #8
Paintball nube

ok nice!, i had taken it on and off maybe 3 times now and i noticed the paint was already scratching off, so i thought id just ask. The threads are pretty damn big! so i guess it would take a lot to strip them!.

While im here ill ask one more question about it. Will i have to turn up the fps screw since the barrel is 7 inches longer?
Old 05-16-2011, 04:49 PM   #9
^Andrew^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintball nube View Post
ok nice!, i had taken it on and off maybe 3 times now and i noticed the paint was already scratching off, so i thought id just ask. The threads are pretty damn big! so i guess it would take a lot to strip them!.

While im here ill ask one more question about it. Will i have to turn up the fps screw since the barrel is 7 inches longer?
Yes, you probably will have to turn it up a little. I would be sure to rechronograph your gun before I played.
^Andrew^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #10
Coenen
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Coenen Send a message via Yahoo to Coenen
You should be rechrono-ing your marker every time out, especially if you're using CO2 since it's sensitive to weather and temperature changes. A long or more heavily ported barrel will probably leave your gun needing to be turned up a bit.
Coenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:05 PM   #11
Corrupted355
Addict

You should definitely be re-chronoing the marker every time out. If you're using CO2, you should really do it every time the temperature changes. That means if you get there in the morning and it gets hotter over the course of the day, you should re-chrono.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #12
Paintball nube

kk thanks guys, ive been using compressed air. another noobie question comes to mind lol. I know in the field it would be easy to figure out, but since im here...Which way do you turn the screw to add speed?
Old 05-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #13
^Andrew^

Quote:
kk thanks guys, ive been using compressed air. another noobie question comes to mind lol. I know in the field it would be easy to figure out, but since im here...Which way do you turn the screw to add speed?
On the 98 velocity adjuster you need to turn counterclockwise to increase velocity.
^Andrew^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:29 PM   #14
Orpackrat

My newest old barrel, a stock apex barrel:

Barrel kit backs ................
Modified Apex tip ..............
Fully Upgraded Cyclone .....
450 round hopper .............
Super RT .......................
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluShift View Post
I'm tempted to add this to my signature....
Orpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:25 AM   #15
Paintball nube

alrighty this should be my final question, you all will probably have a good laugh at it. I was just wondering, the velocity screw. When you turn it, does the screw itself actually go further and further out of the barrel? i looked down the barrel as i was turning it, and it was spinning but staying just as much in the barrel. Or does the screw turn, which turns something ELSE to raise and lower the fps? noob alert!
Old 05-21-2011, 06:48 AM   #16
Corrupted355
Addict

Quote:
alrighty this should be my final question, you all will probably have a good laugh at it. I was just wondering, the velocity screw. When you turn it, does the screw itself actually go further and further out of the barrel? i looked down the barrel as i was turning it, and it was spinning but staying just as much in the barrel. Or does the screw turn, which turns something ELSE to raise and lower the fps? noob alert!
The velocity screw threads into the power tube in order to block air flow. The farther in you thread the screw, the more air you block and the more turbulence you create. This in turn causes the velocity to fall because the air moving out of the power tube is moving slower.