pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Equipment Forums > Masks

Old 09-02-2002, 06:48 PM   #61
Pete Harcoff
stealer of pie

I wear glasses, so I have a problem with fog, too.

I decided to try out installing my own fans into my brand new JT Spectra, and it turned out to be a bit of a learning experience.

My initial plan was to do exactly what Andrew said he did. That is, rig two 25mm (1 inch) 5v fans in the top of the mask, running off a 9v battery attached to the lower portion of the mask, just by the cheek. For a switch, I'm using a rocker switch I pulled off a defective PC power supply.

Turns out, however, that 9v is too much power for two tiny 5v fans. I tried running them in series and in 5 seconds, fried them both. Returning to the electronic store I bought them from, I explained to the owner what I wanted to do, and asked him how best to run a pair of these 5v fans. He initially suggested a 9v-to-5v regulator, but the regular would've been a big awkward to install (it was kinda big). He then suggested running them in parallel off a 6v battery pack (4 1.5v AA batteries). He assured me that the fans could take 6 volts.

So, I buy two more fans, the necessary battery clips, try that out and promptly fry one of the fans. I call him back and he's nice enough to exchange the fan I burnt out, since they obviously are not capable of safely running at 6v.

After a third trip out there, I decide to just run them at 4.5v, which turned out to work just fine. The owner also gave me some 22ohm resistors and suggested installing one in the circuit just to be on the safe side. I tried that, but the 22 ohm resistor blocked too much current and the fans wouldn't even run.

The following day at my local field I got to test them out. My concerns were twofold. One, how would two fans, a switch, wiring and two battery packs all installed in my mask hold up to paintball conditions. And two, would they de-fog when I needed them too? I initially planned to run them only if I started to fog up badly -- which I did in about the first minute of the first game. After that I ended up running them the whole day, for every game. Those fans saved the day, because without them, I wouldn't have been able to see ****. I may get some anti-fog spray for the glasses, just to be on the safe side. And even after getting gogged several times, they kept working with no problems whatsoever.

Overall, it was a bit of a hassle to build (burning out the fans and all), but well worth it the following day at the field.

I'll post some pics if I ever get around to taking any.
Pete Harcoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 09:56 PM   #62
Sn1p3R21

Send a message via AIM to Sn1p3R21
Here is exactly how I made mine. (JT nVader)

Parts(all from Radio Shack):
1. 40mm Brushless 12VDC Micro Fan
2. Heavy-Duty 9v Battery Snap Connectors
3. SPDT Micromini Toggle Switch
4. 9V Batter Holder
5. 3x2x1 Project Enclosure

First, on the visor, you have to cut out the center post for the fan to fit. Then you take the fan, and run the wires through the holes in the forehead part, not the goggles. Run them back along either the right or left side, using duct tape every inch or so to keep them snug against the mask.
Next, in the very rear hole of the pod on the side, you will need to do a little dremel work to make sure that the back of the switch(rectangle) will fit through the black hole, but not the big circle part, and then some dremel work to make the small circle fit through the clear pod, but again, not the big circle. So you have the big circle in the middle of the black mask and the clear pod.
After that, connect one terminal of th efan to the switch and electrical tape it or solder it. Then attatch the project box to the back of the mask, right below the strap. Inside the project box, you should use the 9v battery holder to hold the battery, and then drill a hole through the box and mask to run the leads from the battery in.
Connect the same color lead from the battery connector to the switch as the color from the fan, then connect the other wire from the connector to the other wire of the fan. Tape all of the wires against the mask so they wont **** with you while you play.
To keep the visor from flipping forward due to lack of a center post, drill a small hole right in the middle of it about 1/4 inch from the top, and through the mask behind it. Then use a bolt/nut combo to secure it.
Toggle the switch to see if it works. Its really easy to change from blowing in to out, all you have to do is remove the visor and flip the fan around. Hope this helps all of you with nVaders. I'll have pics up soon, and my mask is pretty tight looking. I have screws sticking through most of the holes in the pods, not unlike the mask that one guy wears in Slipknot. It looks pretty tight, but its kinda heavy. Oh well, everyone knows us paintball players care more about looks than performance...
Sn1p3R21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 06:51 PM   #63
Colicious

Send a message via AIM to Colicious
ya, those fans are for computers, and they (comp fans) are made to run at 12v max, but since those are 40mm, they may even run at 5v, so you may be killin them runnin at the 24 or whatever.

but all you really need is 1 or 2 9v batteries, wire, a switch, and the fan. i think you may be able to squeeze the batteries underneithe the visor, eh?

but thats awesome that you did that yourself. are the fans suppose to blow on the inside, or outside? or are the supposed to blow out of the inside??
Colicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 04:47 PM   #64
BAGGED89

does my radio shack suck? they only have a 1 9/16" fan. thats the smallest. I found a fan about 3/4" at another place but it was $28 which kind of defeats the purpose.
BAGGED89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 10:24 AM   #65
russpaintballer
Haha You're Dead!

Send a message via Yahoo to russpaintballer
Hmm. I just took a CPU fan out of a dead computer, and ran the wires into the 9 volt plug from an kid's old walkie talkie.

The battery wouldn't stay put, so I hot glued it in.

I can always rip it out later.
Dark Blue DYE Sticky grip
NW Spoon Long Drop Forward (8")
12v Revvy Blue
JT Flex-IZE Blue
JT 2003 Blue Pro Series Jersey
Redz Blue Trim 3+2 Dimension Pack
Extreme Rage Blue Gemz Tubz

C O C K E R P R I D E - Because Worr owns you.

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkShark
You threw your $1,429 dollar autococker on the ground? I hope that your definition of "ground" involves large quantities of Victorian silk garnishing a plush down featherbed with a luscious cashmere quilt.
russpaintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 02:26 PM   #66
ViperXT

I have a couple old 286 computers somewhere. Do they have fans in them that would be a good size?
ViperXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 12:57 PM   #67
chigell

is there anywhere that I can buy 25mm fans that arn't 15 bucks?
chigell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 06:59 PM   #68
Megilar

Which way do the fans blow air(pumps air in, or out)? I've tried the trial-and-error method, but it just confuses me.
Megilar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 08:39 PM   #69
mikek2111987
¿Voted ©OOLEST avatar?

Send a message via AIM to mikek2111987 Send a message via Yahoo to mikek2111987
chigell-sorry for the very, very late response, but you could get them for ebay.

and the fans can either blow or suck, depending on which way you flip them. Havnt you ever seen one?

LP Spyder TL+
CP Flame drop
CP ASA on/off
CP Spyder adapter

Evil Pipe barrel system
BRMC Anti-chop delrin bolt
KAPP twisted cocking rod

Check-it Products 15° VA
32° spring kit
Air America Vigilante with LP spring
12v smoke revvie w/ Vortex impeller, Pbr stickers, and TurboRev board
32° Magna Port valve w/ Lapco cupseal
48/3000 Pure Energy n2 tank with Extreme Rage cover
Custom Trigger Job and lots of other home done mods
Dye mini guage
Dye sticky grips
Dye (blue) 2k3 Pants
Dye (blue) 2k2 Jersey
Dye (blue) Invision
Dye (black) Sockhat
mikek2111987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 04:57 AM   #70
Megilar

grah! I was referring to which way (out or in) was more effecient.
Megilar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 11:40 AM   #71
mikek2111987
¿Voted ©OOLEST avatar?

Send a message via AIM to mikek2111987 Send a message via Yahoo to mikek2111987
ah, yes, im retarded.

Both will work good, but if it was hot out blowing in would work better. And if its not so hoy then i suppose sucking out would work good.

LP Spyder TL+
CP Flame drop
CP ASA on/off
CP Spyder adapter

Evil Pipe barrel system
BRMC Anti-chop delrin bolt
KAPP twisted cocking rod

Check-it Products 15° VA
32° spring kit
Air America Vigilante with LP spring
12v smoke revvie w/ Vortex impeller, Pbr stickers, and TurboRev board
32° Magna Port valve w/ Lapco cupseal
48/3000 Pure Energy n2 tank with Extreme Rage cover
Custom Trigger Job and lots of other home done mods
Dye mini guage
Dye sticky grips
Dye (blue) 2k3 Pants
Dye (blue) 2k2 Jersey
Dye (blue) Invision
Dye (black) Sockhat
mikek2111987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 04:38 PM   #72
w00zy
Smack Fu Master

Send a message via AIM to w00zy
I recently fanned my mask, it's a JT X-fire. It's cheap, doesn't have thermal lenses so of course it fogs up a lot.

I used some 2" Nidec blowers mounted in the side blowing into the sides of the masks. I have the fans mounted right where my temples are, the input is facing out but is under the head strap so stray paint shouldn't get in there much. The blowers are a bit more than 1/2" thick so they fit well.

I got the fans at bgmicro, they have a good selection and dirt cheap prices (I buy all sorts of things there I love it). The problem is they're out of the blowers I bought (good thingi got 5, thats 3 spares)

The laptop fans are also a good bet, they're 1" and if you buy 5 you can get them for $1 each (buy 5 in case they get wet, or full of paint and stop working, keep 3 backups on hand). http://bgm.bgmicro.com/prodinfo.asp?...ri=FAN&stype=2

I had a small switch laying around that I used to turn the fans on and off, but you can buy those at bgmicro as well

My mask has foam thingers at the back edge of the mask to hold the mask off my head, so I cut one of those in half and mounted the battery under it, from the outside of the mask all you can see is the one switch and some screws holding the fans in.

The fans are run in series off the one 9v so they're running at 4.5 volts each. They put out enough air that I can feel it pretty well. I've only played once with it and I didn't do much running so it wasn't a good test but I have no doubt that they'll work.

First a picture of the fans I used. Keep in mind that these are blowers, so the one in the right is showing you where the air goes into the fan and they blow out the rectangle holes that are on the top facing in.

w00zy
Attached Images To view attachments your post count must be 0 or greater. Your post count is 0 momentarily.

Last edited by w00zy : 04-01-2003 at 04:46 PM.
w00zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 04:44 PM   #73
w00zy
Smack Fu Master

Send a message via AIM to w00zy
And a shot of the fans in the mask. You can see the fan on the far side. The battery is wrapped in duct tape under the foamy thing on the close side, and the switch is in the 4th vent from the right on the top vent holes. You can also see one screw holding in the fan on the close side.
Attached Images To view attachments your post count must be 0 or greater. Your post count is 0 momentarily.
w00zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 07:45 PM   #74
CoryTLElect

Send a message via AIM to CoryTLElect
Mine is a lot like killer kats but with a little variation. My fan is right infront of my mouth instead of on top where the visor goes. Its angled up allitlle so that with an nVader its easier to breath and it defoggs quite nicely. 1 9vlt battery (so it lasts longer) and a tiny tiny toggle switch just by my chin. It is soo sweet ill post some pics hear in a little while.
CoryTLElect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 07:56 PM   #75
shocktech3001
ROCKY THROW ANGEL!

Send a message via AIM to shocktech3001
I just did it to my flex & IZE, works great. I used:

1- 1 9/16 CPU fan
1- micro toggle switch
1- 9 volt adapter

since the 1 9/16's fan is a little big, I had to angle it to fit into the mask.

I screwed the toggle into the visor a little bit to the left of the little dimple for easier access while playing.

WIRING CHART:

9V positive=one prong of switch=positive wire of CPU Fan
9v negitive= CPU fan negitive

( positive= red, negitive = black)

I was able to fit the 9v. under my visor, its taped to the inside of the visor, so nothing shows( well, nothing but the toggle switch, and the front of the CPU fan)

hope this helps others while trying to rig this up. thanks!

Dave
shocktech3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 07:06 PM   #76
Sheridan14
I LIIVE to DIE?

Yo i'm gonna do this mod hopefully on friday.......

mines gonna include.

2 mini fans (computer)

a toggle switch.

a 2-aa battery holder if not......9 volt

and a red led on the visor so u know when it's on(even if the fan spins_)

RADIOSHACK has everything and all under 24$$$
Sheridan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 07:47 PM   #77
Malachi_E2

Send a message via AIM to Malachi_E2 Send a message via Yahoo to Malachi_E2
i have a sheridan prowler mask. There is about 1in x 1 1.5in. space that i could fit a fan. Think i should give it a try?

<edit> I was reading some more and someone used a fan from a geforce2. I pulled the one i have off my old gf256 or whatever it was... but it is just a little too long to fit above the lense... are there any other good places to put it? <edit>

Last edited by Malachi_E2 : 05-16-2003 at 08:04 PM.
Malachi_E2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 12:57 PM   #78
Speedballer109
Always in Design.

Send a message via AIM to Speedballer109 Send a message via Yahoo to Speedballer109
mine went over the lens (the fan) and when i put my mask on it hurt so bad.........so i got Helmet foam (froma bike store cut it up and used epoxy to keep it in place....omg is that stuff stong it aint comin off.......now it's so comfy.
Speedballer109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 01:55 PM   #79
IamBatman
Oops. . .

Efficiency

I think the most efficient way to position the fans (if you have two) Is to place one pumping in and one puming out. I tried all other combinations and I found this one to work the best. And It doesnt really matter what kind of switch you use just get whichever is cheaper. The chances of a toggle switch getting hit AND breaking are one in a million. And if it happens you can always just replace it Not a problem
Spyder Flash LCD
DYE Ultralight Boomy
Self-Modified Stickies for E frame
Checkit Full-Force Delrin Bolt
w/ KAPP Twisted Cocking Rod
Checkit sweetspot stick trigger
Checkit 15* ASA assault block
w/ 32* gauge
Vapor Works High Rise
Omega titanium turbo valve
Twisted LPC
Madman Spring Kit