pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Specific Marker Forums > Tippmann

Old 11-13-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
mudkicker

J&J barrels on my Tippmann 98

I am new to paintball, I dabbled in it a while ago with a *** beagle tiger shark, actually not a bad gun for a pump. Ten years later the guys at work wanted to get back into it. So here I am. I chose the 98 Custom because everyone and their cousin said too. I got the non act platinum, no uprades and a ball that curved out of the barrel. not to very accurate. Dicks had a 12" carbon fiber barrel, 30 bucks, what a fail, if your looking at this saying you bought it, get the receit put it back in the package and bring it back!

I went back to my local paintball store , explained my dismayand he said one name that can solve my problem for on the cheap. J&J Ceramic. He gave me a handful of tournament balls and said give this a whirl. from 20 yards shooting a sign measuring 10 inches by 18 inches, the stock barrel couldnt touch it but 1 time through the sites on 5 shots, dick's barrel, none out of 5 with 2 busts in the barrel...The J&J 14 inch ceramic on the other hand, all 5 shots in a tight cluster through the sites. Unless your looking for looks, wich this barrel looks good anyway, flat black and sleek. To anyone on a budget, you can-not go wrong.
mudkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
SnapperDragon

I've got 2 98's and a 12" J&J barrel one piece and recently the J&J Edge Elite barrel kit.

The worst thing that I saw was paintballs knuckleballing. I was using my J&J barrel.

The problem was the paintballs in this case. They were way too small even though I used the smallest bore barrel I had. In addition, they were not round.

I have a feeling that a good barrel to ball fit will make the most difference in curve.

Other than that, the J&Js seem to be nice and smooth and easy to clean in the case of a barrel break. Also, the barrel kit seemed reasonabally priced. Even the single piece barrel was priced nice. They also cut down on the sound volume over the stock barrels.

Other than that, I personally will not be spending any more money on barrels because I think these things are descent quality and I would probably do better with an HPA tank.

I'm sure others with more PB experience will chime in and expand on this as I am still learning but I chose what I did based on reading these and other boards.
SnapperDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:08 PM   #3
Coenen
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Coenen Send a message via Yahoo to Coenen
Snapper, if you're having trouble with knuckling like that you might want to check your velocity. Generally you start seeing unpredictable flight path when you're trying to get the marker too close to 300fps. Bring it back to 280-285 or so and see if that doesn't help you. Quality paint obviously makes a difference as well.

J&J barrels are popular with the Tippmann crowd for just the reasons that you guys have mentioned. Quality equipment for sure.
Coenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:21 AM   #4
mudkicker

Being new I would like to understand a couple of things since these are not like real guns.
1. at a high rate of fire, will the characteristics of the projectiles change
2.Is there an advantage to polishing the chamber and upgrading the bolt to a lighter one, I'm talking in air consumption
3.I see that the Etrigger is battery operated, does this hurt when the battery dies in combat, are the advantages worth the extra 30 dollars over
the reactive trigger
and to put it all in perspective, how will all these upgrades fit in with this one barrel.

There are holes milled into the barrel, does this rifle the ball in a way that makes it fly straighter by eliminating turbulance flying down the barrel, or are they a means to quiet the gun down.

I guess you could say I really want to know about this stuff to make better decisions about putting an expensive gun together, i have heard of people putting 750 into there gun after paying 120 for it
mudkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:42 PM   #5
Coenen
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Coenen Send a message via Yahoo to Coenen
At high ROF the balls will fly the same, provided the marker is held still. Since this is a Tippmann we're talking about, yes the trajectory will change. That is a big chunk of metal in the back of the gun moving back and forth very quickly. Also the valve design isn't terribly consistent in term of shot to shot velocity variations. While you will still have a fairly consistent grouping, you will see more variation at higher rates of fire. Compared to a high-end marker like a DM or Ego etc the difference will be quite noticeable.

Question two; no and no. Some people will want to argue on this one, however, the marker will wear in over time which will have the same effect as polishing without the work. The lighter hammers can cause velocity issues and the performance difference considering the price that you'll pay isn't worth it. Also the inline blowback valve design is fairly consistent in terms of air usage; it's not terribly efficient, and there's very little that can be done to make it more or less so.

If the battery dies in a game you are done. The marker will not fire. I have played a lot of paintball over the years, I can not remember a player EVER having their battery die mid game. Most guns have an indicator when the battery is getting low. Most players have enough common sense to keep fresh batteries handy and keep track of when the battery in their marker needs to be changed. I think that the E-Trigger is a better option than the RT, the RT takes some fiddling with and 'feeling out' before you can get maximum performance out of it, the E-trigger is more of a plug and play kind of deal.

Porting does little more than quiet down the shot. Testing has proved that the differences in performance between ported and un-ported barrels are negligible.

Basically the rule of thumb with a Tippmann or any other low-end marker is to keep it simple. Upgrade the barrel and maybe a couple other components and leave it be. Use that 'upgrade' money to buy yourself more paint and more playing time at the field. The most important thing you can upgrade is yourself, and the only way to do that is by playing as much paintball as you can. A shiny gun with lots of bells and whistles is cool, but not good for much if you have no cash left to play ball.
Coenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:36 AM   #6
SnapperDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coenen View Post
Snapper, if you're having trouble with knuckling like that you might want to check your velocity. Generally you start seeing unpredictable flight path when you're trying to get the marker too close to 300fps. Bring it back to 280-285 or so and see if that doesn't help you. Quality paint obviously makes a difference as well.

J&J barrels are popular with the Tippmann crowd for just the reasons that you guys have mentioned. Quality equipment for sure.

I was at an indoor place that limits velocity to 260 or less, so it probably was not related to too high a velocity. Good advice, though, and I will keep that in mind when I play outdoors. I generally like my marker in the 280 range or so as that seems to give me the best consistency ball on ball.

I'm getting some play time in this year and starting to build more of a knowledge base of what works and what does not, helped out especially by recommendations from this forum with good comments from yourself and others who are pb veterans. Thanks a lot.
SnapperDragon is offline   Reply With Quote