pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > General Forums > New Paintballers

Old 08-30-2003, 10:57 PM   #1
chibissj
Ski Medal Bling

Send a message via ICQ to chibissj Send a message via AIM to chibissj Send a message via Yahoo to chibissj
Important Information Read Before Posting Questions About What (blank) To Get

if this isn't about markers, hoppers, or tanks, then you can feel free to post, but if it is, READ THIS FIRST

PBreview
use that for reviews on products
*NOTE* IF YOU'RE NEW TO THE SPORT DON'T IMPULSE BUY, I CAN'T STRESS THAT ENOUGH*NOTE*

First off I'd like to say hello and welcome to this thread, this thread will go over the basics of what to buy, and look for in a: Gun, Mask, Tank.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
First off Mask:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

this is the most important thing that you need to buy, In my opinion. What to look for here is a key, ask yourself these questions.
+1+ How does the mask fit you?
does it have bad spots, can you see good, comfy?

+2+ Are there any irritating spots?
even just minor ones, because if they are a little bad now, think about it if u had to wear the mask for hours.

+3+ Price?
this is important, just because a mask is cheap doesn't mean it's bad, and just because it's expensive doesn't mean its' gona be good for you either.

+4+ What are you paying for? for instance, are you just paying for extra cosmetics on the mask itself, and color material.

+5+ Features on the mask?
An important feature here is thermal lenses or not.
Advise: Try on lots of mask, don't be afraid to ask questions about the mask itself, and remember just cus it looks fancy, had a high price, doesnt' mean it's the mask for you.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Gun:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Now that you've picked out a mask, time to find a gun. The gun is your best friend out on the field, if you take care of him or her, it'll take care of you.(yes him or her i've heard some strange gun names). Again when buying a gun ask yourself a few questions.
+1+ What type of gun do you want to buy?
Semi-Auto, Electric, Pump. For most beginners it's not important RIGHT away to get a godly electric gun setup, personally I'd recommend a semi-auto to get you into the game, and a good feel, and later if you truely want to buy the electric grip, it's a little more expensive by around 10-20 bucks more in the long run, but in my opinion i'd spend it on somethign else, since some fields dont' allow burst shots, or full auto.

+2+ What do I expect out of my gun?
Do I expect it to keep up with all the guns on the field, do I think it will be the best gun ever?

+3+ Do I care about how it looks?
Think about it in the long run, you're gun will go and get scratched up, so right now it may look cool, but you're only paying for it in the gun's price in most cases.

+4+ Performance?
Is this gun going to be able to perform at a good enough level so that I as a beginner can be able to be in the game long enough to activly help my team?

+5+ Read reviews, even if the gun is rated low here, see if it's only because of a few outliers who just didn't like the gun

+6+ Extra features?
What bells and whistles does it have?

+7+ Price? Budget?
What's the price of this gun? Do I have a budget on how much I am willing to spend?

+8+ Durability?
Will it break on me? Can I be able to count on the fact that my gun will take a beating every once in a while and still be albe to go out the next day and use it again?

+9+ Field Strip and clean. and overall Maintainence.
How easy is it to be able to do these things? I like guns with a field strip pin.

+10+ After market parts?
When you go to buy a gun look for the avaliablity for after market parts and their cost, things to consider are barrels, drop forwards for most guns.

+11+ Vertical and Power Feed?
Which do you prefer? If you go with vertical you don't need to buy an elbow, if you buy power feed you must buy a elbow or you can't have a hopper on your gun.

A side note is that when you buy your gun remember to buy some gun oil and some o-rings. That way you can oil your gun up after every time you use it and if o-rings break on you (which they will) you can replace them easily.
Also buy yourself a good squeegie as this will come in handy when balls break in the barrel, and it's also good to run this through after you are done playing.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Finally Tanks:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

When you go to buy a tank for the gun most places will have extra tanks that are empty and they'll let you feel the gun with the tanks attached into it. When buying a tank consider this:

+1+ Tank Size?
Just because a tank is small, don't judge it that way, you can always just buy 2 tanks, in the long run. And just because it's a big tank doesn't mean it will be a good fit on the gun either.

+2+ How does the gun feel with this size tank?
When I went to buy my tank, I just ended up getting a 16 oz because that way it's shorter than the 12 oz and 9oz tanks, and it holds more and felt like a good overall length on my gun.

+3+ Overall weight?
Also when buying a tank consider if the whole package feels light or heavy. In the store just imagine the gun being a few pounds heavier because of paintballs and a full tank will weigh the overall package down considerably.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Loaders(hopper):
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Without a proper loader you can not begin to play because A. it holds the balls B. look back at A
When buying the Loader aka Hopper, one must consider the following:
+1+ The different types of loaders. Electric, and Gravity.
Electric will allow those with fast trigger fingers, or who have burst or full automatic fire options to fire without having to fear that their hopper won't drop the ball fast enough.
Also electric hoppers will usually feed a Balls Per Second (BPS) anywhere greater than around 9 or 10(those are the lowest I've seen) and as high as 33 I believe (on the Halo B?)

Gravity is good for most beginners because unless you bought yourself a electric grip, most beginners won't need to have to worry about balls not dropping in time.
These hoppers will feed around 8bps maxiumum.

+2+ Cost: Gravity feed's are usually around $3.00-5.00 as the highest. This is just due to the manufacturer and also the thickness of the plastic. I recommend that if you buy one of these ask the store about which has the thickest plastic so that you can abuse it if you want to without worrying to much about it snapping on you.

Electric are as low as $30.00-100.00+ I believe. The cost gets more as the balls per second get higher and as the brand name becomes bigger

+3+ Performance of electric hoppers: This was already stated above for gravity hoppers:
BPS: If you want a lot, you are going to have to pay for this, also don't waste money on buying a hopper that can put out many many more bps than the gun which you own can put out itself.

Batteries: Without these you're hopper is more or less a gravity feed hopper again.
The electric hoppers usually use 1-2 9V batteries, and after a while this can add up I suppose.

Battery Life: This is how many Balls that you're hopper can feed before the batteries die. I've heard that some electric get around 5000 balls..

Recommended Cheap Electric Hoppers: all these can be found online at Pbgear.com
Empire Reloader - Cheap yet very effective, can put out a good amount of bps the highest I've heard is around 13
AK Richochet - A different design, supposed to deflect balls off the hopper, and again it's around 13bps maximum.

if there are more tell me.

Well I guess that's all I can think of now, hope this helps you guys out a lot. See ya later, if you need more help or whatever, AIM me or ICQ or MSN Messenger or Yahoo Messenger : AIM: ProtomanGGA ICQ: 109355522 MSN: FFTidus@hotmail.com Yahoo:Sp0rtsg0d (the 0=zero's)

thanks to CalebD2 and all those who have helped.

if you want this sticked say so, also say if this helps you, and/or what I need to do to improve upon this

Last edited by chibissj : 09-02-2003 at 06:24 PM.
chibissj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 09:28 PM   #2
chibissj
Ski Medal Bling

Send a message via ICQ to chibissj Send a message via AIM to chibissj Send a message via Yahoo to chibissj
seriously though.....up......

Last edited by chibissj : 09-02-2003 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:03 AM   #3
Calebd2
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Calebd2
Truely nice work

I'll see what I can do about getting this up in the ultimate sticky...

Last edited by Calebd2 : 09-02-2003 at 11:07 AM.
Calebd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 11:09 AM   #4
p8ntball1016
i cant find my pants

Send a message via AIM to p8ntball1016
i smell a sticky in your future.
p8ntball1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 12:18 PM   #5
Paint Bulley
Super POSER

Location: Here and there Here and there Here and there Here and there Here and there Here and there Here and there Here and there Here and there Here and there Here and there Here and there Here and there Here and there Here and there Here and there Here and
Send a message via ICQ to Paint Bulley Send a message via AIM to Paint Bulley Send a message via Yahoo to Paint Bulley
batteries. some use 6 double or tripple A, I forget how many a's are on the side of the battery
Paint Bulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 12:28 PM   #6
eyesofsandman
Registered Pimp

Send a message via AIM to eyesofsandman
i think someone wants a sticky
Silver foregrip
eyesofsandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 01:12 PM   #7
pEnNyWiSdOm225

Send a message via Yahoo to pEnNyWiSdOm225
*Applauds*

Nice Work
Old 09-02-2003, 01:16 PM   #8
Magnus55
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Magnus55 Send a message via Yahoo to Magnus55
Nice work. Hey chibissj, could you change the titles thar are in the xxxx boxes to bold faced instead or in addition? It'll make them stand out more. And I'll sticky this once you do. Once again nice work.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:34 PM   #9
chibissj
Ski Medal Bling

aight, hehe this is like honestly the 3rd time i've posted this lol, but nowthat i changed the name!! lol

Last edited by chibissj : 09-02-2003 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:36 PM   #10
chibissj
Ski Medal Bling

okay it's bolded now ur right makes it look loads better.

Last edited by chibissj : 09-02-2003 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:54 PM   #11
paintballer42o
These days...

Send a message via AIM to paintballer42o
Very nice work. hopefully the newer players will start reading the stickies, but if they dont, we could always post a link
josh_hill, puck_316
spyderman014, tippycustom, chadolf, dcdude, paintballer42o, chunkymonkey, p8ntmaster
Detroit Strange fan #1
InSoMnIac Member #11
PwnzorchreK
paintballer42o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 05:45 PM   #12
chibissj
Ski Medal Bling

or we can enforce the rules more, YOU MUST READ THIS BEFORE POSTING OR YOU'RE THREAD WILL GET DELETED!! hehe

Last edited by chibissj : 09-02-2003 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:03 PM   #13
paintballer42o
These days...

Quote:
Originally posted by chibissj
or we can enforce the rules more, YOU MUST READ THIS BEFORE POSTING OR YOU'RE THREAD WILL GET DELETED!! hehe
I think you should take out ur sig on your Quote"Big"Unquote Post
josh_hill, puck_316
spyderman014, tippycustom, chadolf, dcdude, paintballer42o, chunkymonkey, p8ntmaster
Detroit Strange fan #1
InSoMnIac Member #11
PwnzorchreK
Old 09-02-2003, 06:17 PM   #14
chibissj
Ski Medal Bling

what part of my sig?

Last edited by chibissj : 09-02-2003 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:37 PM   #15
hybrid-sniper

Send a message via AIM to hybrid-sniper Send a message via MSN to hybrid-sniper
its sticky time

good job chibissj

I'll keep it short and sweet. Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed. - Montgomery Burns
But it would be just like you to drag your keyboard to a gunfight - Bane

Awake. Arise. Eat. Work. ****. Sleep. Awake. Arise.
hybrid-sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 09:03 PM   #16
chibissj
Ski Medal Bling

*bows* thank you, thank you.

I have a few people i would like to thank. I'd like to thank all those people who have been there from day 1. who have supported me. ummm all my fans w/o you this award couldn't have happened... umm wait noooooo i'm not at the mtv video awards....

I am back...for a moment
"There have been no new posts in the last 247 days to your subscribed threads."
CEO of Baby Shenanigans Inc
Friends Music, Acoustic/Alternative, very good

Feedback

If you're like Teuf and Hate me Click Here
Old 09-03-2003, 06:31 AM   #17
Calebd2
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Calebd2
You wanted a sticky? There ya go.

And not even in the Ultimate
Calebd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 02:55 PM   #18
chibissj
Ski Medal Bling

yeh i know thanks caleb and magnus.

I am back...for a moment

Feedback

Old 09-03-2003, 07:27 PM   #19
paintballer42o
These days...

Hey chiss try to name everyone that helped you so they may get credit
josh_hill, puck_316
Detroit Strange fan #1
InSoMnIac Member #11
PwnzorchreK
Old 09-03-2003, 08:22 PM   #20
chibissj
Ski Medal Bling

and you paintballer who can forget you, and umm hybrid and umm i ono whoever else want sme to thank them just say ur name i guess lol.

I am back...for a moment

Feedback