pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Equipment Forums > Hoppers

Old 08-04-2010, 08:17 PM   #1
Dem0nWolf

Arrow Eggy 3 vs. Pinokio? (No I'm not kidding)

Before I start, sorry if I should have posted this in the sticky regarding Hopper reviews. I'm new here, cut me a little slack.

I'm a new player, and I'm looking to buy myself a hopper (I'm purchasing equipment in a certain order, gun being last). I've been looking up a lot of reviews regarding different loaders and hoppers, and from what I can find the Pinokio is one of the best loaders that money can buy, while the Eggy 3 is a great loader for the money. Which should I get?

What I mean is: is the Eggy 3 as poor quality as some people say it is, and would it be wise to spend the extra $100 to buy the Pinokio? Keep in mind, I am on a budget, so if the Pinokio isn't infinitely better then the Eggy 3 I may not want to spend the extra money.

(As I side note, yes I do plan on buying a marker that can keep up with the High Rate of fire. So I'm not THAT nooby )
Dem0nWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
BluShift
I accidentally the whole

Honestly, I would recommend a Rotor.

I shoot a Spyder Fenix with a Ricochet Rhino, and I could probably upgrade to something like a Halo B or an Eggy for a decent price, but from what I've seen (literally every single tourney player at my field has a Rotor) and what I've heard the Rotor is hands-down the best loader on the market. It's also the most expensive, but apparently it's one of those things where you just "never have to buy anything else, ever again (with respect to loaders)". They're tough, they're fast, they're light; they're literally the answer to every drawback fast loaders typically have.

EDIT: I just wanted to commend you on buying all the essentials FIRST. I see people at my field all the time with $700+ markers, with no pants, an inferior mask, an inferior loader, etc.
Originally Posted by Coenen View Post
It needs more drop forwards.

Last edited by BluShift : 08-04-2010 at 10:36 PM.
BluShift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
Dem0nWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluShift View Post
Honestly, I would recommend a Rotor.
I was looking into the Rotor too, price wise it's not to far off from the Pinokio from what I can find. I haven't played with a Rotor yet, but I'll see if I can find one to borrow. I never knew they had such a good reputation. So thanks, I'll check it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluShift
EDIT: I just wanted to commend you on buying all the essentials FIRST. I see people at my field all the time with $700+ markers, with no pants, an inferior mask, an inferior loader, etc.
And thanks! It really made more sense to me to do it in this order, so I'm glad someone agrees with me .
Old 08-05-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
Coenen
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Coenen Send a message via Yahoo to Coenen
If you want to save money go for something like an Invert Too or a used Halo-B, for $50-60. They're not as user friendly as some of the newer designs, but they are plenty fast and extremely reliable. Either would blow the Eggy out of the water performance wise.

VL's claims as to the loading speed for the Egg line are WAAAAY over inflated. I had an Eggy 2 with the Z-board or whatever the "23BPS" board was, and it could barely, BARELY keep up with my guns when 15BPS was the ramping ROF cap.

If you wanted to go high-tech, I'd say to get an Empire Prophecy, based on the tried and true Halo platform, no tools take down, lots of adjustment, good capacity and battery life, weight comparable to either the Rotor or Pinokio, and only $100 for the basic model.

Personally, I'm not too high on the Rotor; I still hear a lot that they have some jamming issues, and that they don't put out near the speed Dye advertised once they're on a gun. A lot of guys have them because they're Dye and because they're the "cool" thing to have, but I still know quite a few who bought a Rotor, decided they didn't like it and either sold it or traded it for a Prophecy.
Coenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
wabango$
*sigh*

Send a message via AIM to wabango$ Send a message via MSN to wabango$
Are you kidding? Go with the Egg3 to be different.

wabango$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:41 PM   #6
Dem0nWolf

Quote:
If you want to save money go for something like an Invert Too or a used Halo-B, for $50-60.

If you wanted to go high-tech, I'd say to get an Empire Prophecy
I've played with the Too once, I wasn't crazy about disassembling it. Just seemed like there was too much in the way of guts. But it shot fine. The Halo-B was nice, but it seemed to jam a lot. Maybe it was just the one I was using, but it bugged me. But I certainly wouldn't mind getting either of those, especially with what you said about the Eggy's speed issues.

As for the Prophecy, I have no experience with that loader whatsoever. If I can find one to try, maybe it'll win me over. But as of right now I've yet to even see one in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabango$ View Post
Are you kidding? Go with the Egg3 to be different.
Nope, I'm not kidding. See the title?
Old 08-05-2010, 07:58 PM   #7
Coenen
Super Moderator

The Too is basically a sound activated Halo...the Halo will just be cheaper on the used market. Disassembling either is not exactly what one would call fun, but once you've done it a time or two it's pretty easy, honestly, I've gone through 3 Halo-B's and if I had to disassemble any of them more than a handful of times that was a lot. There's not THAT much going on in there, it looks worse than it is, and a bit of well placed electrical tape to keep the wires in order can greatly simplify the process.

I probably had to take mine apart more because I was an idiot and overtightened my feedneck and killed my shells than anything else. I maybe had two or three occasions where I broke paint and had to actually clean them out in the three years that I used them. Look at it this way, they were the best loader in paintball for about 7 years, that kind of longevity for a product in this sport is astounding.

Jamming issues, that's new to me. I've heard they can get finicky with reballs, but that's about it. I ran just about any kind of paint you can imagine through mine, including cases of rainbow and "seconds" paint which is prone to have odd shaped and sized balls mixed in with no issues. Also, I've heard that replacing the spring and beads with Empire's Freeway anti-jam does wonders, and for $10 it's a worthwhile upgrade. I think that that Invert Too comes with that feature stock.

The Prophecy is based on the Halo platform, just with a lot of modernization. No tools break down, magnetic clutch, easy switching of lids and nose cones, rip drive, lots of adjust-ability, less battery use, RF / or sound activation, massive weight and profile reduction. It's pretty much the antithesis of the Rotor. Where the Rotor is uber simple, the Proph is about as much technology as can be packed into a loader. Both are solid designs and will feed any marker well beyond what the user can shoot BPS wise without bounce or ramping to inflate your ROF.

With regards to the Eggy, there are plenty of people that use them and love them, and if you're going to be ramping 12BPS that's no problem. For me it was one of those things where I was content with the performance until I found out what I was missing. I thought my Eggy II with the "23-BPS" board was just fine, then I borrowed a friend's Halo-B one day and noticed the difference immediately. For me it was literally like shooting a different gun, I was getting probably an extra 5-BPS from the first trigger pull right through the top end in semi-auto, and the ROF I was getting in 15-BPS ramp was much more consistent.

I never thought that the difference, especially in the "pick-up" phase when the loader first activates would be so noticeable, but it definitely was there. Unlike the Halo based loaders or the VLocity or Rotor, the Eggy doesn't constantly tension the ball stack, so your first burst is basically gravity feed until the motor kicks in. This can be a bit of an issue in a gun-fight when you're likely not going to be shooting a long burst anyway. With the spring loaded cone on the Halo that first burst is coming as fast as you can shoot it, same with the constant motor tensioning on the VLocity and Rotor, then the motor kicks in and keeps giving you that top end speed on a longer burst or when you're shooting a lane etc.

In the end though, it's still going to be up to you, your play style and your budget.

Last edited by Coenen : 08-05-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:01 AM   #8
wabango$
*sigh*

Send a message via AIM to wabango$ Send a message via MSN to wabango$
My experience...Halos suck, Eggs suck, Vlocity's suck, Reloader Bs are ok, Torque was ok but way to loud, Rotor is the shiz and the Revvy is god.

wabango$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:43 AM   #9
BluShift
I accidentally the whole

Quote:
My experience...Halos suck, Eggs suck, Vlocity's suck, Reloader Bs are ok, Torque was ok but way to loud, Rotor is the shiz and the Revvy is god.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:37 AM   #10
killertip212
Custom Cocker Genius

Send a message via AIM to killertip212 Send a message via MSN to killertip212 Send a message via Yahoo to killertip212
Quote:
My experience...*snip* and the Revvy is god.
damn straight, ive never had one fail me

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalski
Killer opens the photobucket and pulls out pics, chat opens the fridge and pulls out haterade.
Resident Field and Store Owner....Oh the hassles it brings

~My Feedback~
killertip212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #11
Dem0nWolf

Quote:
Look at it this way, they were the best loader in paintball for about 7 years, that kind of longevity for a product in this sport is astounding.
Noted for sure. I've heard only good things about them, so I'll certainly try to play with one more. I mostly borrow my different friends equipment to test stuff out, so I'm sure one of them will let me play with a Halo more extensively.

Quote:
Jamming issues, that's new to me. I've heard they can get finicky with reballs, but that's about it.
It wasn't major jamming, as it wouldn't stop firing altogether, but sometimes there would be a long delay in the feed, as if the ball's couldn't really make it through. But again that could have just been the one I used.

Quote:
In the end though, it's still going to be up to you, your play style and your budget.
Thanks for all your help . I had originally asked about the Pinokio due to it's capacity. It holds about 400 balls, and the HPA tank I was looking at getting was good for about 400 shots. So it would balance out perfectly. But you've made me reconsider, given that there are cheaper options that have some obviously good reputations.

Last edited by Dem0nWolf : 08-07-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:43 PM   #12
Coenen
Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure you only get the huge capacity out of the Pinokio if you use the long "nose" attachment for the front. Without that, the base capacity is comparable to a Prophecy or Rotor.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:54 PM   #13
Dem0nWolf

Oh I know, I'm alright with that. Although it adds a ton to your side profile, it adds very little to your front profile, which is really where I concern myself most. Base it holds more then others, with about 230.

But like I said, that was my intial reasoning. Based off what you said, there are a lot of options that may work out better, and I don't have to be OCD about hopper to air ratios.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:06 PM   #14
BluShift
I accidentally the whole

I actually just bought a used Eggy III today, so I can provide a better opinion.

While it's not as fast as a Rotor or any Halo loader, I find it PLENTY fast -- It kept up without issues on full auto without eyes at 13 bps. In my opinion, this is PLENTY fast (I personally can only hit 13-15 on any Planet Eclipse gun, so I may be biased) and I got it for $35... The guy used it once. I personally am in love with it. I like how simple it is -- instead of Reloader B's trying to feed one ball for every shot or whatever, the Egg just runs whenever it detects a gap, and the flexible paddles do the rest. No tension, which means no balls flying out when you take your hopper off, no balls being pushed pass your detents, no blending paint if you have paint in it when you turn it on, etc. Actually, I don't think you could break paint in it PERIOD. The paddles are that soft.

Something else to note -- I figured it would be really, really unbalanced full of paint, because it's so far back on the gun, but about two-thirds full it balances just about perfect at the back of the frame with a 68/4500 tank.

ALSO: Less hopper hits! It doesn't project past the feedneck, so as long as your feedneck is not in an opponents line of sight, your hopper isn't either

EDIT: Also, even though it doesn't "look big", and has an advertised capacity of 195 balls, my brother and I filled the loader as full as physically possible, and then counted what we got in there -- 225. The freaky thing? It still fed flawlessly.

Last edited by BluShift : 08-06-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:28 AM   #15
Coenen
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dem0nWolf View Post
Oh I know, I'm alright with that. Although it adds a ton to your side profile, it adds very little to your front profile, which is really where I concern myself most. Base it holds more then others, with about 230.

But like I said, that was my intial reasoning. Based off what you said, there are a lot of options that may work out better, and I don't have to be OCD about hopper to air ratios.
According to the reviews the stock Pinokio holds 230, a stock Prophecy holds 240, and the Rotor holds "200+" thanks for the accurate marketing Dye.

Quote:
I actually just bought a used Eggy III today, so I can provide a better opinion.
Point proven: different strokes for different folks.
Quote:
I like how simple it is -- instead of Reloader B's trying to feed one ball for every shot or whatever...
The Reloader's system is actually the simpler of the two. It hears the shot, it turns the motor. No eyes to get messed up, or dirty, or read dark shelled paint wrong, etc.

Also, IMO, tension on the stack is a good thing, it solves the problem of lag time between when the gun starts shooting and the loader starts to feed and catches up. Not so much of a problem in ramping 12BPS, but in uncapped semi, shooting a fast gun, it's a difference maker.

I'm also mildly amused that you've had or seen all of these problems with Halo based loaders. Guess you're just kryptonite for them or something.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:28 AM   #16
Coenen
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dem0nWolf View Post

According to the reviews the stock Pinokio holds 230, a stock Prophecy holds 240, and the Rotor holds "200+"...thanks for the accurate marketing Dye. This much I can vouch for, loaders like the Too and the Halo-B, do not hold that much paint, you get about 180-ish and that's all they're going to hold. Really though, after you shoot through that base capacity, it doesn't matter so much...a pod holds 140-160, so regardless of what loader it is that's what you're going to be putting in there. Carrying an extra pod to make up for a bit of base capacity isn't going to kill anyone I don't think. Also, with ramping, just about anyone can shoot and reload these days.
Quote:
Quote:
I like how simple it is -- instead of Reloader B's trying to feed one ball for every shot or whatever...
The Reloader's system is actually the simpler of the two. It hears the shot, it turns the motor. No eyes to get messed up, or dirty, or read dark shelled paint wrong, etc.

Also, IMO, tension on the stack is a good thing, it solves the problem of lag time between when the gun starts shooting and the loader starts to feed and catches up. Not so much of a problem in ramping 12BPS, but in uncapped semi, shooting a fast gun, it's a difference maker.

I'm also mildly amused that you've had or seen all of these problems with Halo based loaders. Guess you're just kryptonite for them or something.

Last edited by Coenen : 08-07-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:54 AM   #17
Ironman289
Paintball......

VL select force......for the win!
Ironman289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #18
BluShift
I accidentally the whole

Quote:
Quote:
I only know one person who uses a Reloader on their set-up, and he doesn't play anymore These are just things I've heard can happen. From what I can tell, the Egg is definitely the simplest, because it doesn't require precise turning of the motor on every shot, or any sort of tension system that needs to be relieved after play. It also doesn't require that all paint be out of the loader before you turn it on

And as far as I can tell.... the break-beam eyes work on basically any paint, I thought? The paint I'm using is half white, half olive-green (not sure if that's as dark as you're talking) and it seems to feed just fine.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:00 PM   #19
Coenen
Super Moderator

I thought you were just talking about activation method, not the entire operation. IMO, "hear a noise, turn the motor" is a simpler method, even if the loader itself is more complex. It is certainly a more effective method. Eyes are waiting for a gap in the stack, sound activation means your loader is feeding immediately. Again, that lag might not seem like much, but it's there and it can make a difference.

Not sure who told you that you can't or shouldn't turn on a Halo or Reloader when it's full, but that person is an idiot. An empty Halo would spin constantly since there'd be nothing for the eyes to see. An empty Reloader would pretty much do the same because the sound of the paint going into the loader would cause it to run as well. I've filled first and turned on second for years with Z-E-R-O issues. I've filled empty loaders that were running as well, you do it pretty much every time you drop a pod mid-game. I supposed there is a chance you could crush a ball in the stack, but from my experience and the experience of a lot of guys I've played with, that chance is pretty low.

The "tension system" in a Halo or Reloader etc. etc. is a spring housed below the drive cone. It can be relieved either by using a Rip Drive (if you've got one) to turn the drive cone backwards or by deactivating the loader and shooting a few shots. Again, not a huge deal. At the end of the day you turn off the loader and waste a few shots, I haven't met too many people who don't to that.

I'm not sure I trust VL all the way to use quality components. I'm sure their eyes work fine. They can still get dirty, or fouled somehow and screw you up, but that's a danger with all eye systems. That's why we see loaders now with RF capability, like the Pulse, Magna or Prophecy or no activation at all like the Rotor. Again, addressing the same problem with different solutions.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #20
BluShift
I accidentally the whole

Hmm... I thought Reloader B's (or perhaps it's the Halo's, I'm not sure) do a "system check" or whatever when you turn them on -- they spin at full speed for like, one full second after you turn them on? And if you have paint in there, that's when blending occurs? Perhaps not, that's just what I've heard. Again, I only know one guy who shoots a Reloader B, and he doesn't play anymore.

Obviously this isn't something I'm too familiar with