pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Specific Marker Forums > ACI

Old 09-20-2003, 11:11 AM   #1
shadii

Send a message via AIM to shadii
Sinister vs. Xtra

Im new here and this is my first and my most important question. I have been reading the reviews for the ACI Sinister and though some good reviews some horrible reviews. About how it is the biggest piece of trash out there and to stay away. Now the guy I was gonna buy this from said that its made from the same basic parts as the Spyder Xtra (my first choice), and has a few extra nice things about it. Like the fact that you dont need the elbow. But now I'm worried that it might fall apart and chp 78/100 balls like some reviews say. This would be my first gun and I would like to know if they are really made from the same parts, then why would the Xtra get so many more awesome reviews that the Sinister which has some horror stories if most of the components are one and the same? Which should I go for, the Sinister TP or the Xtra? As of now I am somewhat in favor of the Xtra because of the better reviews. But the man selling them gives me the impression I should go with the Sinister.
shadii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 12:52 PM   #2
PBfreak01
'01 of Death

Send a message via AIM to PBfreak01
Alright, here is how you should read reviews on this site:

First, disreguard any 10/10. They obviously think that the marker is the best, and never has any problems.

Second, disreguard any 1/10. They are either a) fishing for every little problem, and never even used the marker, or b) enjoy writing fake reviews.

Fianlly, the only thing you need to pay attention to is the "Bad" field. If there's anything good about it, that's great, but it doesn't matter. What you need to look at are the problems the marker has. Desreguard anything like "this gun is teh suck" or "everything" or any one sentance replies. You want details on whats wrong with it. If you are suspicious, check out what the person wrote in the "good" field. Everything has something good about it, but if the author doesn't have anything, lose the review.

Now I'll answer your question. The xtra gets so many rave reviews becuase people are Kingman zombies. They've used one marker, and come to the conclusion that all Kingman are the greatest. Obviously, this is not so. I have never seen any major problems with the Sinister, aside from the usual blowback problems: chops, jams, double feeds, etc. etc.

But if you are going for something ACI, I'm gonna have to reccomend the F4. Great marker there. Has the Sub-Zero valve, sealed cocking, indestructable composite grip, [the new ones] have a very nice stock barrel, sturdy vert adapter, And a spring detent (yes, that's right, a spring), comes with a trigger shoe, is beautifully anodized (with equally beautiful engraving), uses ss hoses, and of course, it's made by ACI .

But nothing is without it's flaws. The F4's power feed plug is the biggest son-of-a-***** you will ever encounter. It is damn near immpossible to take out without the aid of pliers. The velocity changer plug tends to eat o-rings when you remove it to clean the internals. The vert adapter has problems with heavier tanks, as it's not an actual piece of the body. You have to tap the grip frame when you go to put the ASA back on becuase the female adapters for the screws aren't an actual part of the grip; they float around without the screws in them. They have the cursed "bullet bottomline." It is the ugliest BL in the world, but it does get the job done. The field strip is possibly the most ungainly (aside from a M98 ), and totally rules out cleaning during a game. The air fittings are perhaps too tight.

I leave you to decide what you want
Old 09-20-2003, 01:49 PM   #3
shadii

Ah, interesting. And how about the thing with Xtra and Sinister being from basically the same parts? Any insight advantages/disadvantages there?
Old 09-20-2003, 01:56 PM   #4
PBfreak01
'01 of Death

I'm not an expert on the Sinister (mine is the F4), but as far as I know, most parts are interchangeable (valve, trigger frame, threadings, etc. etc.). You would do good to ask Mav.
Old 09-20-2003, 02:07 PM   #5
shadii

Well should I just wait to see if he posts or PM him?
Old 09-20-2003, 02:12 PM   #6
PBfreak01
'01 of Death

You should prolly PM him....He posts in ACI periodically becuase he mods the F4 Owners Group site.
Old 09-21-2003, 09:21 PM   #7
Mav
AFA #5

Send a message via AIM to Mav
Ah I was wondering how he got the PM Idear, thanks Pb :p

Anyways, I'd go with PbFreak and reccomend an F4 over the two markers, but you weren't asking that so I'll give you a few reasons I'd reccomend a Sinister:

1. ACI is great about customer service, if you ever need anything you can get a hold of them and they'll help you out.
2. Sinisters accept Spyder aftermarket barrels, trigger frames etc. but also have standard bottle asa patterns (so you dont have to buy spyder specific ASA's).
3. The posters with chopping problems were probably running without an electro hopper and a high rof, or cheapo paint...
4. Spyders are everywhere, be unique

Now why there wont be too much difference:
1. Same operating system - similar performance

But whichever way you want to head, get out and try the makers you can, you may find you want to just skip right ahead to an electronic marker like the E-99 etc.

Mav
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote