pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > General Marker Forums > High-End Electronic Markers

Old 07-23-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
187WoLf

What is the original matrix?

I don't know if this should be here or the low end electric marker section, but what were the "original" matrixes. I am asking because by looks, I would say that the JT Quadra was, but I highly doubt that. What's makes a matrix a matrix. I mean is there any connection between the similar looking Quadra and PM/DMs? I've even heard people not consider the 03 Dye matrix a "real" matrix
187WoLf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:07 PM   #2
Coenen
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Coenen Send a message via Yahoo to Coenen
No. An original Matrix, or just Trix for short, is basically any Matrix that is pre-Dye.

Before Dye bought the rights to the marker, which resulted in the '03 Dye LED and LCD models the Matrix was distributed first by a company called Generation E (commonly called Gen-E) and later, for a short time, by Diablo. All pre-Dye Trixes are generally lumped in to the Gen-E category.

Dye's Matrix lineage started with the '03 LED and LCD which looked basically the same as the original Matrix, only with slightly more metal milled off. In '04 they started the DM line with the DM4, or Dye Matrix 4, every successive year they have released a DM marker. In '05 Dye's sister brand Proto released the Proto Matrix, what we now know as the PM5 etc. Proto Trixes are usually comparable to the DM model from the prior year in terms of features etc.

An original Matrix is pretty much known for two things. First, they're big and rather blocky, leading to some using the knick name "fat body" Trix to describe them. Second, they are blazing fast.

In terms of paintball at large the Matrix line were the first of the spool valve markers to hit the market. They were, and still are, fast, quiet, have little kick and were easy on paint. Updated versions have addressed most of the marker's issues, especially efficiency, which on older Trixes is just this side of terrible without a decent set of after market internals and a bit of knowledge from the user on how to keep the gun properly tuned.

Hope that helps.
Coenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:11 PM   #3
187WoLf

That pretty much answers everything. Thanx for the history lesson.
187WoLf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:44 PM   #4
iliveforthis99
Maher

And in case you didn't look them up after Coenen's post this is what they look like.

I love the old Matrixs, they are on the big, ugly, and heavy side but they are fast, quiet, and just fun to shoot. I actually like mine slightly more then my borg if that's to be believed.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
ikey

some of them were pretty good looking. you get into the ironmen, entity, ardvark custom, kapp flame, nyx, etc etc etc.

forum
http://www.markedfordeathpaintball.com/forum/index.php
ikey is offline   Reply With Quote