pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Equipment Forums > Barrels and Paint

Old 02-25-2004, 05:08 AM   #21
Mongoose87
You suck at life

Send a message via AIM to Mongoose87
Quote:
Originally posted by Coenen
Much better.

Sounds like a factory defect to me, assuming you have the M98 version you might also have your bolts too tight. Old 98C's are known for their funny threads that casue barrels to point at odd angles(hence why Tippmann recently added an extra thread to the recievers), maybe yours just points down. Do other barrels do it as well?
i have an old 98 classic and its been installed right on mine since i got it, all you really have to do is take a little time to figure it out the first time you instal it, then its easy
Mongoose87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 03:16 PM   #22
spoon's66
Your Daddy

Send a message via AIM to spoon's66
uhm, no it doesnt do it with othe barrels, for some reason i dont know,. just my flat line,, i got the thing to shoot strait but i have to tilt the gun at a wierd angle compared to what im used to

F.ried C.hicken. L.overs C.lub F.C.L.C
spoon's66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 01:30 PM   #23
Mongoose87
You suck at life

Send a message via AIM to Mongoose87
then its not installed correctly
Mongoose87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 01:36 PM   #24
chinesebugrepel
Self proclaimed hugenaut

Unless straight up and down is a wierd angle.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ebonclaw
Trust me, you don't want to argue with chinese.
chinesebugrepel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 09:24 AM   #25
ghilliesnipe
Exterminator

I believe you should add that since flatlines are very velocity sensitive when it comes to accuracy, HPA with a reg will work much better than CO2. When I shoot at 290+fps the balls curve upwards after about 120ft. The barrel needs to be cleaned regularly as well. If you oil through your ASA, clean it afterwords. Wind affects as well, but not as bad as people say. I believe unless you do everything listed in the above posts, it will be very hard to do the intitial installation.

Cuervo, below quoted me saying I just described every barrel. Not really. The problems I just described in the flatline are 2 or 3 times worse than any straight barrel I've shot.

Last edited by ghilliesnipe : 05-08-2004 at 12:13 PM.
ghilliesnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 05:16 PM   #26
NoS -{_____|
Nos=car Nitro=marker

slows down

The paintball doesnt slow down alot, aftetr a while if it goes dow but a paintball shot outa the flatline looks slower because thats the way the human eye sees it. if you use a radar gun, from the begining, to the end it drops about 10 mph/15 fps

Setup: Spyder Xtra, 20 oz tank w/anti siphon
+
tippman 98c

98% of american teenagers have tried pot. if you are part of the 2% that hasnt, put this in your signature.
NoS -{_____| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 08:26 AM   #27
Cuervo
Vive Cuervo!

Send a message via AIM to Cuervo
Quote:
Originally posted by ghilliesnipe
I believe you should add that since flatlines are very velocity sensitive when it comes to accuracy, HPA with a reg will work much better than CO2. When I shoot at 290+fps the balls curve upwards after about 120ft. The barrel needs to be cleaned regularly as well. If you oil through your ASA, clean it afterwords. Wind affects as well, but not as bad as people say. I believe unless you do everything listed in the above posts, it will be very hard to do the intitial installation.
You just described every barrel.
Cuervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 03:35 PM   #28
BuzzSimpson

I didn't see anything about one of the flatlines main advantages - the fact that it has a flat tragectory (spl). That is the reason I love it for woodsball, no breaks on high tree branches.
BuzzSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 06:31 PM   #29
budokaiboy

If it's an A5 Flatline make sure you're twisting the barrel in from the correct side. Sounds like he might have the A5 Flatline on upside-down. Make sure the end of the barrel is oriented on top, with the allen bolt that holds the shroud on, in the 12 O'Clock position. It's possible to mount the Flatline upside-down. The end of the Flatline where the paintball is coming out should be higher than the point at which the paintball enters the barrel from the gun body.
budokaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 04:04 AM   #30
vicious666

Send a message via AIM to vicious666
There is another reason besides the angle/orientation of the gun that affects the accuracy of the FL barrel. OK. people who are baseball fans or players will understand this perfect. look at the average paintball it has a seam, if a paintball is spun in any way this is like a spining base ball with the seam being the stitches on a b ball, so depending of the orientation on the seam when the paintball is fired this will make the gun throw a curve ball in a irregular pattern. This will throw the paintball off course and therfore make accuracy something to pray for. streight rifleing was made to counteract spin and therefore increase accuracy the flatline deliberately puts a spin on the ball and therefore aggeravates this effect. Put this in conjunction with the orientation of the gun youve got a very innacurate barrel and idea for that matter. (the ball will float away far away to who knows where)
vicious666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 02:47 PM   #31
sportsterari

Thumbs up

i like my flatline and the only bad thing i find with it is that it chops balls once in a while and once it chops one ball if u dont clean the barrel out it will chop a lot of other ones. if u have a flatline it is also good to have one or two more barrels. i bought a dye ultralite which i love cause it is extremely accurate.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:23 AM   #32
Yomama360
.68 caliber slingshot

Quote:
Originally posted by vicious666
... the flatline deliberately puts a spin on the ball and therefore aggeravates this effect. Put this in conjunction with the orientation of the gun youve got a very innacurate barrel and idea for that matter. (the ball will float away far away to who knows where)
On the other hand I know a guy who DOES KNOW where the ball will go to and uses the tilt of his Flatline to his advantage. (eg. trick shots around obstacles.) Granted this is only an advantage in a limited number of circumstances and requires a lot of practice and patience (ok, and some luck).

On the other end of the extreme: how many times have you seen some 10 year old out there with his uncle's Flatline saying "Hi, I'm a sniper. I like playing sniper position." When what he's really saying is "Hi, I'm going to camp-out in the way back of the field and shoot my teammates in the back."

Most kids out there don't have the patience to learn and want to plop down $$$ for equipment that will some how by magic make them better players. If that's the case they're better off buying cheaper stuff until they learn the game and are interested enough to stay with it.

</2cents>

*BTW- No offense to young players. We were all young once, and I have seen many young kids out there playing well.

Last edited by Yomama360 : 08-17-2004 at 11:02 AM.
Yomama360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 02:13 PM   #33
Tipp The Scales
Die-Hard

I have noticed several falsifications on this thread, and would like to clear them up...

1. The seam theory, while it may be true for baseballs, proves incorrect in paintball. This could be cause by many reasons, the most probable one being the seams are simply not large enough to have any effect. Another reason could be the direction of the seams, where any (cheap) paint has seams pointed inward, the baseball has large seams that point EDIT (why can't I spell the opposite of inward?) out ward. That brings me to my final reason (although probably not the last, just can't think of others) of which any decent paint lacks any noticible seams.

2. Maybe your Flatlines were an accident, but mine has never (in about... 4000 rounds) chopped a paintball. Never.

3. I'm not certain if this was posted in this particular thread or not, but my Flatline has never increased the sound of my gun. Quite frankly, I do not see any reasonable way to say it does. The sound would echo around in the barrel for a longer period of time than in a stock barrel, which would cause the sound waves to diminish. The only other thing would be a tighter focus in the sound waves, much like the... uh... well, whatever the thing is that gives you a different pattern in a shotgun blast.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:46 PM   #34
Merc4Hire

The previous poster had 3 points, the third of which was about relative loudness of the barrel.

you are thinking of the loudness level in terms of focused harmonics. there is some validity to that. however, your error is that relatively little of the noise of firing a paintball gun occurs in the 'chamber'.

instead the noise occurs just past the end of the barrel when the projectile and propellant gasses impact with the air and the propellants are able to expand rapidly. that is what makes the bang.

internal barrel harmonics would be insignificant because there is less internal noise to be amplified or diffused.

the way to quiet a gas propelled projectile gun is to lessen the impact and suddenness of gas expansion at the end of the barrel. you obviously cant do much about the projectile impact, so that leaves gas impact and expansion. the way to do this is to allow the gas to expand gradually and be moving slower as it exits the muzzle. this is done by porting in a paintball gun*. as the pb reaches the porting gas pressure is vented out the ports lowering its pressure and forward velocity-- and thus loudness.

*real guns operate under the same principle but there is also more noise in the chamber. real firearms have three sound peaks when recorded 1 cartridge detonation, 2. GAS EXITING MUZZLE ,& 3 chamber opening(in auto-loading firearms). the capitalization indicates loudest peak. however there is one difference in powder based firearms the gas velocity is so great that porting and muzzle breaks act like the hole in a whistle and create an even louder noise in a higher frequency. firearms are silenced with heavy porting to allow gradual gas pressure dampening. however the porting vents into a substance like steel wool which absorbs the sound. The batting substance in turn is contained in a cylinder that further dampens sound.

Last edited by Merc4Hire : 12-13-2004 at 10:11 AM.
Merc4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 09:53 AM   #35
S*tanley
My Spoon, is to Big?!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mongoose87
then its not installed correctly
installation done incorrectly with the 98 flatline will probably result in just about everything that can go wrong to go wrong, this is why the a5 has gotten much bette reviews on this sight, ive said it once and i will say it again; i have Microsoft 2003 power point presentation on how to INSTALL the 98/wgp auto cocker flatline (both the same fundamentals of a flatline) Pm me with your email address and i will send it to you for an aid or just if you want to see it. i have already turned 3 flatline haters over with it.

Originaly posted by Dover
"Not that you can shoot that fast, if I could move my fingers that fast i'd never leave the house!"

Originaly posted by Forest Spyder
"Don't get me wrong. I love my puppy.
But at the same time, my Angel doesn't poop and pee all over the place."

You cant tell me stock class is dead!

Proud owner of the "I CAN MAINTAIN A FLATLINE" CLUB
S*tanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 10:12 AM   #36
Dr J
Truth Seeker, Lie Destroy

Send a message via AIM to Dr J Send a message via Yahoo to Dr J
the doctor is in

Merc4Hire - You are entirely to knowledgeable about firearms for your own good... be watchfull for the ATF they may come for you at any moment. I do however want to add one thing your list of causes for firearms noise... bullet velocity. Subsonic Rounds will be quieter than super sonic as they do not create the "snap" noise will traveling through the air.

Buzz Simpson - You've got it right. The biggest advantage to the Flatline isn't the distance (I can make my custom Impulse with Freak shoot just as far, however it does require that I increase the angle of trajectory. The real usefullness of the flatline is shooting in areas with overhead obstructions such as tree branches and even some "urban" environments.

Tipp The Scales - You say that you have noticed some falsifications in this thread... but you make one yourself. You say that the seem of a paintball doesn't make a difference, but I submit to you that it does. Consider this. If a paintball with a perfect seem and a round, smooth shell (as little surface-air friction as possible) still can create lift through backspin then wouldn't it seem obvious that a ball with shape defect or noticeable seem (inny or outty) make a difference in the quantity and direction or lift?

Here's one of the "house rules" for paintball physics. Everything effects the trajectory of a paintball, the question is in what manner and to what extent. While in some cases the seem on a particular ball(set of balls) will not make a noticeable difference in accuracey, it could be a very percievable difference with another batch, i.e., "I can't hit anything today, i wonder why"

my two cents - The best performance I have heard of with a flatline has been with the use of very small/round paintballs with a medium-thick shell. Remember that in a "conventional" barrel in order for the ball to shoot well it needs to just barely contact the walls on all sides. If it doesn't then it may start to spin or loose velocity. In a Flatline barrel you WANT spin. Easiest way to produce that effectively, time and time again in an accurate manner is by using paintballs that are significantly smaller than the bore of the barrel. Fortunately our house paintballs (AtomiX Premium from PMI) seems to fit the bill perfectly so I usually recomend them to my customers. However a small ball with medium/thick shell may not be available in all areas, so do what you can with what you got.

Hope that helps,
Dr J

(That's right fools, Doc Jay is back!)

Last edited by Dr J : 12-14-2004 at 08:49 PM.
Dr J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 07:37 PM   #37
cactus

What sights will fit on a 98C with a flatline?
cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 03:43 PM   #38
ghilliesnipe
Exterminator

Quote:
Originally posted by cactus
What sights will fit on a 98C with a flatline?
Not sure, but I got a 3-9x32mm scope on mine by making a feed neck extension outta pvc which makes my hopper sit a little bit higher. Just take your hopper to the hardware store and find a pvc coupler that will fit on the feed neck. Then you will need a small piece of pvc to fit into the coupler which will then fit into your 98c feed elbow. Mine fits perfectly tight and actually looks fine after I painted it.
ghilliesnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 07:34 PM   #39
cactus

Pantelones, not sure where you are going with your reply.... Please elaborate
cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 07:46 PM   #40
Coenen
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Coenen Send a message via Yahoo to Coenen
He means that it wasn't the most intelligent question to be asking. Please don't egg him on.

Pantelones, you know better than that, especially in an information thread....besides, you don't want to have to write another long-winded apology note...do you?

I'll get the proper mod or a super to get in here and do some editting. Legit replies from here on out please.
Coenen is offline   Reply With Quote