pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Equipment Forums > Barrels and Paint

Old 02-25-2005, 09:18 PM   #41
cactus

Quote:
Originally posted by Coenen
He means that it wasn't the most intelligent question to be asking. Please don't egg him on.

Pantelones, you know better than that, especially in an information thread....besides, you don't want to have to write another long-winded apology note...do you?

I'll get the proper mod or a super to get in here and do some editting. Legit replies from here on out please.
I don't see why this is not a valid question? Maybe I should rephrase the question.... Does the flatline barrel shroud make any difference when selecting sights? I purchased a used 98c with a flatline and there was nothing but flat plasic on the rear of the barrel. Forgive me, but I am new to paintball and may ask questions with obvious answers to some of you experienced posters. All I ask is that you show some class and remember when you started....
cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:33 PM   #42
Coenen
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Coenen Send a message via Yahoo to Coenen
The rail on top of the shroud is the same as the rail built into the 98's recievers. It also raises any sights that you might want to use, there is a good chance that the optics will be obscured by the hopper.

To take care of that there are a few options. You could try and find a direct feed, I haven't seen them for a while, but I'm sure they are still out there. You could just not use the shroud for the Flatline, it looks ugly but has no bearing on performance, that and it actually makes it easier to use b/c there is no big hassle to take it off and put it back on. Finally you could just not get extra optics; paintballs are not really accurate enough at long range to make optics nessecary unless aesthetics qualifies as a nessecity for you.

Personally I'd skip on an scope/redot/laser sight, you are thinking of I can virtually guarantee that it'll be a waste of money. The second you get in a hurry you'll forget use it, and since the vast majority of the time in panitball you're in a hurry you wouldn't be using it very much at all.

I'm not saying that the question isn't legit I'm saying the some of the responses weren't I don't want this thread to get littered with meaningless posts about nothing.
Coenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:39 PM   #43
ghilliesnipe
Exterminator

I found that keeping a scope on the plastic flatline shroud is difficult because the plastic shroud lets the scope tilt from side to side making you shoot the gun with a tilt which is bad for flatline accuracy.
A reddot might be just fine and you may have no need to raise the hopper like I described earlier, but if you have to have a scope on the shroud, you will probably need to do what I talked about.
I tried not using the shroud, but the end of the barrel could be seen through the scope and it looks very ugly not having the shroud on.
They do have a metal flatline shroud, but I have heard there arent any grooves on it to mount any kind of site.
You might consider cutting the shroud off from where you would mount the reddot,scope or whatever as long as the mount(maybe a raised site rail) is high enough to clear the end of the flatline barrel. Again you may have to raise your hopper to then clear the scope. Hope that makes sense.
ghilliesnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:42 PM   #44
cactus

Coenen, that's the answer I was looking for. My intension was not to install a scope, but just make lining up shots easier from front to back. I think my flatline was supposed to have a small raised bar in the back but was distroyed my the previous owner. Hence the questions...

Thanks
Old 02-25-2005, 09:47 PM   #45
cactus

Quote:
Originally posted by ghilliesnipe
I found that keeping a scope on the plastic flatline shroud is difficult because the plastic shroud lets the scope tilt from side to side making you shoot the gun with a tilt which is bad for flatline accuracy.
A reddot might be just fine and you may have no need to raise the hopper like I described earlier, but if you have to have a scope on the shroud, you will probably need to do what I talked about.
I tried not using the shroud, but the end of the barrel could be seen through the scope and it looks very ugly not having the shroud on.
They do have a metal flatline shroud, but I have heard there arent any grooves on it to mount any kind of site.
You might consider cutting the shroud off from where you would mount the reddot,scope or whatever as long as the mount(maybe a raised site rail) is high enough to clear the end of the flatline barrel. Again you may have to raise your hopper to then clear the scope. Hope that makes sense.
Yes that makes sense. I considered a red dot, but a standard sight to help line up the back and front is what I am looking fyor. I may just hack a dasiy BB gun style sight on to the flatline shroud.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:07 PM   #46
flyboy22

Send a message via AIM to flyboy22
I like the sticky, cuervo. I just thought maybe you could add some tricks I picked up.

1. Anybody who says the 98c flatline is hard to clean just isn't thinking hard enough, and alot of people have been saying this. All have to do is open the feed neck/elbow with the quick release, empty the ball in the chamber and insert a pull through sqeegee or a cottonball dipped in alcohol (I carry some for my mask because it volitile and evaporates nice and clean) into the chamber. Fire about three cottonballs or sqeegee once or twice (depending on the squeegee).

2. Oh, and why the heck do people still think the ball is slow in the air (right out of the barrel)? It's an optical illusion and the ball still has the same velocity as a normal barrel. ALTHOUGH, after 200 feet that ball is moving pretty slow, lol.

I just though you might want to add thnx.

www.countypaintball.com , these guys shipped my order in fifteen frikin minutes, great prices and selection too!
flyboy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 07:44 PM   #47
Stan the HitMan
Owner of: HitmanPaintball

Send a message via MSN to Stan the HitMan
Quote:
Originally posted by S*tanley

installation done incorrectly with the 98 flatline will probably result in just about everything that can go wrong to go wrong, this is why the a5 has gotten much bette reviews on this sight, ive said it once and i will say it again; i have Microsoft 2003 power point presentation on how to INSTALL the 98/wgp auto cocker flatline (both the same fundamentals of a flatline) Pm me with your email address and i will send it to you for an aid or just if you want to see it. i have already turned 3 flatline haters over with it.
almost a year and 1 lost acount later: http://www.pbreview.com/forums/showt...08#post2745908
Old 05-16-2006, 10:20 PM   #48
karchomatic

Additional Comment

Contrary to other barrels, the Flatline cannot be "hot-swapped" quickly during play. Obviously, with all the attention given to careful and detailed installation, it cannot be installed quickly and effectively. It should also be mentioned that the Flatline does not come off in a snap and requires two different allen wrenches to uninstall. I recommend that you do not show up at a game with your virgin Flatline and no spare barrel or tools.
karchomatic is offline   Reply With Quote