pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > General Forums > Custom Modifications

Old 01-04-2004, 05:24 PM   #1
amzng_spyderman
Legend

custom modifications FAQ

this should hopefully cut down on the unnecessary questions in this forum. if you wish to post a question, make sure it hasn't been asked already. also, please don't post about a specific marker. if you would like to answer a question, please quote the question and answer below.

Quote:
Where can I get my marker anodized?
there are many places to have this done. www.jackalmachine.com, www.maxanodizing.com, and www.aplusanodizing.com are some of them.
Quote:
Should I paint my marker?
no. the paint will chip easily and is easily scratched. anodizing is the best choice as it will protect the aluminum. if you have a steel mag then you can't get it anodized. painting is your only option.
Quote:
Are there custom modifications for (insert marker name here)?
first, ask in the marker specific forums or try to find an owner's group for the particular marker. if you haven't found anything, draw up a modification of your own and submit it here.

"Fossil fuels are finite, but idiots are a renewable resource."

Last edited by amzng_spyderman : 10-31-2005 at 06:03 AM.
amzng_spyderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 11:49 AM   #2
amzng_spyderman
Legend

Re: airbrush ok?

Quote:
Originally posted by bobby four
would airbrushing my marker be a bad idea?
depending on the finish coat, airbrushing could last longer. unless you're looking to have a 'lowrider' marker with a mural on the side then anodizing is still the best option.

Old 01-23-2004, 10:29 AM   #3
amzng_spyderman
Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Tipp98WhisperEx
These are just a few questions... How does anodizing work and can I do it myself?
anodizing is the process of creating an aluminum oxide coating over an aluminum part. one puts an aluminum piece into a vat of sulfuric acid, water, and dye. electricity is then run through the mixture and causes anodizing. it's possible to do it yourself, but is very dangerous to both perform and clean up. acid should not be handled by anyone who is not experienced with such chemicals.

please add on any questions regarding custom modifications.

Old 01-23-2004, 10:54 AM   #4
jdubau55
Master of the Dremel

Send a message via AIM to jdubau55 Send a message via Yahoo to jdubau55
uh hum? milling.......it gets asked a lot too. a lot of the places that do anodizing on markers also do custom milling. dont forget to just run a search on Yahoo or another internet search engine, as well, before posting a simple question as to where or who does this and that.

My Gat: G3 VTL E-Force, PDP board and eye mod, Egg 2, Crossfire 88/45, BOSS delrin bolt, AA Vigilante (LP), PMI drop, Custom blade trigger, Custom switch setup
jdubau55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 06:41 PM   #5
dmw16

Send a message via AIM to dmw16
Saw a few people posting questions within threads about where to get raw materials for projects like the ones you guys do - some of which are just totally awesome by the way.

For this design competion I am part of at school we have been getting our matertials off of mcmaster-carr. We mainly are shopping for aluminum stock for airplane landing gear, but they have tons of stuff.

The link is www.mcmaster.com

Just thought it might help some people find materials for new projects.
-doug

Last edited by dmw16 : 04-27-2004 at 10:10 AM.
dmw16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 09:53 PM   #6
Butter Knife
Surrender the Booty!

Send a message via AIM to Butter Knife
For materials, another good place to check is hardware stores. High pressure fittings work fine for most marker applications, assuming that some PTFE tape is also used. I wouldn't count on finding macroline elbows there, but they carry plenty of miscellaneous nuts and bolts (literally) that can come in handy.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:08 AM   #7
amzng_spyderman
Legend

there are two common thread measurements you will come across on most pb guns. one is 10-32, often used on grip frames, drop forwards, etc. the other is 1/8-27 NPT. this is for air fittings. most likely your macro or stainless steel fittings are 1/8-27 NPT, unless they are metric.

if you want to drill and tap either of these holes, you'll need:

a 21/64 drill bit, 1/8-27 NPT tap, and the proper tap wrench for the air fittings, and 10-32 tap, 5/32 drill bit, and the proper tap wrench for the grip frame type holes. you will most likely be tapping an aluminum part, so you will also need aluminum tap fluid.

to tap a hole is simple. just drill the hole in the correct spot, put the tap in the wrench, secure the part you're tapping, insert the end of the tap into the newly drilled hole, make sure the part and the tap make a 90* angle on all sides so it's even, and slowly screw the tap into the hole. every turn in, turn it out a quarter turn to break the chip you just made. continue to desired depth.

Old 05-08-2004, 03:13 PM   #8
thunderpig
Protoplasmic Pile

Send a message via AIM to thunderpig
I'd just thought I'd say that Sexy Turtle anodizing has stopped anodizing for this year. On their site, it says they might start up again in 2005, though.

Last edited by amzng_spyderman : 10-30-2005 at 08:01 AM.
thunderpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 03:58 PM   #9
Lurker27
Rock the Home Upgrades

Just thought I'd say that a properly done paintjob is every bit as durable as anno.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:03 PM   #10
DKLAX1024

Send a message via AIM to DKLAX1024
Putting Stickers on my Marker

How do I put stickers on my marker and make them stay on there? Do I use a glue or what?
DKLAX1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 08:47 AM   #11
PMI_Guy
Currently out of season

Send a message via AIM to PMI_Guy Send a message via Yahoo to PMI_Guy
I always put rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball, rub the side of the object down, let air dry, then attach sticker.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:01 PM   #12
True Evil
So Much Evil It's Good

Send a message via Yahoo to True Evil
What about the Threads to a spyder dentent hole to make dual dentents? does anyone know the correct threads on a stock kingman body? Even called kingman and they didn't know.

Paintballers do it 'till thier balls explode.

Trample The Weak, Hurdle The Dead

FeedBack | Badgers? | Talon Shotgun | Spyder Xtra | Before/After | Seizure Anyone? | Crazy game| True Evil's Sale
True Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 12:59 PM   #13
rainofpaint
Got E?

Milling was mentioned. Fireball mountain will mill for a reasonable fee

http://www.fbmfactory.com

They also do anodizing and laser etching, much better than a sticker.

Quote:
Originally posted by j_elmore44
sorry i dont take time to search the website before i post stuff
rainofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 12:24 PM   #14
JoeG-PB-254

Quote:
Originally posted by amzng_spyderman
there are two common thread measurements you will come across on most pb guns. one is 10-32, often used on grip frames, drop forwards, etc. the other is 1/8-27 NPT. this is for air fittings. most likely your macro or stainless steel fittings are 1/8-27 NPT, unless they are metric.

if you want to drill and tap either of these holes, you'll need:

a 21/64 drill bit, 1/8-27 NPT tap, and the proper tap wrench for the air fittings, and 10-32 tap, 5/32 drill bit, and the proper tap wrench for the grip frame type holes. you will most likely be tapping an aluminum part, so you will also need aluminum tap fluid.

to tap a hole is simple. just drill the hole in the correct spot, put the tap in the wrench, secure the part you're tapping, insert the end of the tap into the newly drilled hole, make sure the part and the tap make a 90* angle on all sides so it's even, and slowly screw the tap into the hole. every turn in, turn it out a quarter turn to break the chip you just made. continue to desired depth.
could a dremel be used for tapping

Proud Member of bash the liberal club
JoeG-PB-254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 12:56 PM   #15
amzng_spyderman
Legend

it could be used to drill the hole, but you can't use a dremel to tap the hole.

Old 11-20-2004, 01:00 PM   #16
JoeG-PB-254

thanks

Proud Member of bash the liberal club
JoeG-PB-254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 03:16 PM   #17
AquaLung
No Hope = No Fear

Send a message via AIM to AquaLung
Being the custom mods forum, there are a lot of questions about making your own drop. Someone more expierenced than myself should add something in here about the purpose of drops, how you can make your own, what you should use, etc.

slaminator3323
And on the eight God said he whoever puts the word sniper and paintball in the same sentence without meaning no snipers let the flames cometh.
senghing27
I forgive you, now go say twelve hail mary's and one prayer and do not do it again

Blow Back Loyalist
[/size]
AquaLung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 08:29 AM   #18
therapists
Banned

I am going to make a drop in my metalwork class. I want to make one like the 32*Flame Dropforward. I don't know the demensions and lengths. I have looked and can't find it anywhere. How much of a curve should it have, and how long...from the grip to the ASA should it be?

thx
therapists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 12:59 PM   #19
Guillotine
Sociopath

Send a message via AIM to Guillotine
Quote:
Originally posted by therapists
I am going to make a drop in my metalwork class. I want to make one like the 32*Flame Dropforward. I don't know the demensions and lengths. I have looked and can't find it anywhere. How much of a curve should it have, and how long...from the grip to the ASA should it be?

thx
if you are going to use a drop forward, you should figure out what feels best for you...that way, you don't need to copy the 32* one...you can make it your own...and still put flames on it if you want(but, personally, I use a no drop rail, so I have no interest in making drop forwards...esp cuz they are uncomfortable)

"Your savior's my guillotine, crosses, and kerosene" - RATM
Guillotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 08:39 PM   #20
darktrooper5

Send a message via AIM to darktrooper5
Regarding anndizing, on my 2k4 viking, there is type3 anno.I've heard this hard to un-do and costs extra or something? Can I just get it reannoed type3 green on top of the anno already on there?

thanks
darktrooper5 is offline   Reply With Quote