pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Specific Marker Forums > Tippmann

Old 03-21-2010, 11:44 PM   #1
jodhas

Remote Recommendation for Alpha Black and Pure Energy 20oz

Long time lurker, first time poster.
First off, I gotta say this forum has been one of the biggest reasons for purchasing my first marker.

I had a $150 Walmart gift card so I decided to take the plunge. I saw that the Alpha Black Tactical Edition (which is essentially a 98 Custom) sold for $129 so I bought that along with 20oz Pure Energy CO2 tank (w/ repeater). I found out that without a remote the whole setup can be a bit heavy.

Can you PB gurus out there recommend a remote that will fit (without any meddling) my particular setup?

Thanks in advance.
jodhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:04 AM   #2
Graybass_20x6
The Desert Fox

I believe most remotes are universal affairs, where the remote includes an adapter for your ASA so you can plug in the remote coil, and the remote coil itself, which has a cap on the other end so you can screw in your bottle and activate it with the top pin-activation screw. Most are coiled lines nowadays, as far as I know.

Some remotes come with a slide-check, which allows you to de-gas your marker instantly with a sliding mechanism on the coil connection to the ASA.

I personally use a Trinity remote coil with a slide check. It does its job well, and I got it for about $45. I definitely love the slide check, so I'd recommend a coil with a slide-check. You can get a cover for your remote as well, to prevent tangling and getting caught up in brush or whatever.

Here's some more info here: http://www.pbreview.com/forums/showt...hreadid=168712

And a list of reviews for a few, so you can get a basic idea: http://www.pbreview.com/products/cat/71/

GRAYEDIT: You probably won't ever have to worry about this, but still a word of caution. Do not use a remote if you're using an anti-siphon CO2 tank. Your CO2 tank in all likelihood is normal. Anti-siphoning is a mod for CO2 tanks that makes it harder for liquid CO2 to enter a marker, and is an option for avid CO2 users with higher-end markers. Using a remote with an anti-siphon tank reverses the purpose and causes a siphon, which is bad. Again, you probably never have to worry about this. It's just a standard warning with remote users.

Tippmann A-5 SOPMOD
Spyder MR2A1
Spyder Xtra Psycho Special
Spyder TL Relic
Tiberius SA-8 Digi
PMI Tagmaster

Last edited by Graybass_20x6 : 03-22-2010 at 02:09 AM.
Graybass_20x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:59 AM   #3
ftsagm

i just bought the remote from specialopspaintball.com that comes with a slide check. i've had no trouble with it so far. i did read up on remotes before hand and found that some of them leak or rupture at some point.

the slide check is a very cool option. i think the most important part of a remote is what you use to carry the tank. from specialops again i have the tac belt with molle upgrade with the tank pouch mounted on the back. it fits nice and snug and only swings a bit while running. all the specialops gear is top notch quality from what i've seen. reminds me of all the load bearing gear i used in the army.
ftsagm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
eadricx

Just my experience so far.

I bought the Alpha Black Tactical (ABT) online, came complete with remote, hopper, mask, and belt.

I tried using the remote on 2 different occasions. Both times after the first few shots, the line froze up. Now, the temperature outside was barely pushing 60 degrees F. And I was using CO2. Both I have been told are bad combinations.

Of course this problem shouldn't exist once the weather warms up, but I will be looking into getting a HPA tank as soon as I can.

Summary: CO2, Cold Weather, and Remote Line don't mix with the ABT.
eadricx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:31 PM   #5
Ironman289
Paintball......

Ive been using my 32* remote for 6 years and the only issue I have had is the slidecheck wore out. I have played in temps from around 50* to over 100* and never had an issue with co2 freezing, even at high rates of fire.
Ironman289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
Orpackrat

A Heavy Remote line without a slide check valve (some here have not had problems with them but my experience with many and all my teammates and everyone I play with has problems with them). Don't get a micro line.
Barrel kit backs ................
Modified Apex tip ..............
Fully Upgraded Cyclone .....
450 round hopper .............
Super RT .......................
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluShift View Post
I'm tempted to add this to my signature....
Orpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:11 PM   #7
Curly Fry
US TUBES

Most of what needs to be said has been said already.

I just want to point out that you should not skimp out on a mask if your buying your first setup. If you can't see you aren't gonna be able to shoot anybody and not shooting people isn't fun. JT makes great goggles, but try them on before you buy them and make sure to buy a double pane thermal lens.

Welcome to PBR
Model 98, 98C ACT, F7 Fusion, SL-68 II
Friendly Fire Paintball ~ Fox 4 Paintball
Upton, MA
Curly Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:22 PM   #8
AmbushOrigin
I am the Fat Man

Send a message via AIM to AmbushOrigin
to run a remote your going to need a vest, or a harness that has a pouch for the tank.

I <3 my remote though ,its a coiled except I have 2 on/offs on it Tee'd off so I can hook it to 2 tanks at one time. However the best part is the pro quick disconnect. It uses a different style quick disconnect nipple on the adapter that screws into the gun, and the remote has a button on it that you press releasing the remote from the adapter but without depressurizing the remote.
Spekta CSL- GOG eXTCy - Red Angel Fly SB -Sunburst Tx Storm G6r -Pink/white ripper vic - brown/khaki ripper vic - pink/Silver CCM Series 6.5 - Blackheart SP1 - Rasta A4 fly - Custom FBM Cobra Sniper - Red 06 Macdev Cyborg - Black/Pink DM8 - TKO Classic automag w/ logic rail -ANS phase II Classic Mag w/Tac one body -Yellow Emag-(2) Kingman Hammers - BT4 combat- red w black parts e2 Karnivor - Evil pimp - Empire Trracer - Tac8 - Rasta A1 fly - black/red fade 05 Ego

Last edited by AmbushOrigin : 03-23-2010 at 12:46 PM.
AmbushOrigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:33 AM   #9
eadricx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman289 View Post
Ive been using my 32* remote for 6 years and the only issue I have had is the slidecheck wore out. I have played in temps from around 50* to over 100* and never had an issue with co2 freezing, even at high rates of fire.
Wonder if it's just the type of remote line I'm using then.
eadricx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:54 PM   #10
AmbushOrigin
I am the Fat Man

Send a message via AIM to AmbushOrigin

Spekta CSL- GOG eXTCy - Red Angel Fly SB -Sunburst Tx Storm G6r -Pink/white ripper vic - brown/khaki ripper vic - pink/Silver CCM Series 6.5 - Blackheart SP1 - Rasta A4 fly - Custom FBM Cobra Sniper - Red 06 Macdev Cyborg - Black/Pink DM8 - TKO Classic automag w/ logic rail -ANS phase II Classic Mag w/Tac one body -Yellow Emag-(2) Kingman Hammers - BT4 combat- red w black parts e2 Karnivor - Evil pimp - Empire Trracer - Tac8 - Rasta A1 fly - black/red fade 05 Ego
AmbushOrigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:26 PM   #11
Orpackrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbushOrigin View Post

Not bad, I run about the same setup but with duel 48oz Co2 tanks.
Barrel kit backs ................
Modified Apex tip ..............
Fully Upgraded Cyclone .....
450 round hopper .............
Super RT .......................
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluShift View Post
I'm tempted to add this to my signature....
Orpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote