pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > General Forums > Strategies and Tactics

View Poll Results: Is sniping possible?
Yes, in all cases 126 14.25%
Only in Woodsball/Scenario\'s 375 42.42%
It is possible but not effective 219 24.77%
Never 164 18.55%
Voters: 884. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2006, 12:41 PM   #181
WhiteFoxYoko13

I think that sniper works in woodsball. I don't agree with shoot as little paint as possible, but if you can sneak behind someone and wait for a shot without them seeing you, your being a sniper. I don't do this all the time but when i try it, it works really good. The hard part is getting a good spot but once you are there they usally walk right into you. And even if you are not the one to get them out you definaly help by shooting a lot to get them moving.
Cyclone Feed System
Response Trigger
GTA Inline Expansion Chamber
WhiteFoxYoko13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:38 PM   #182
Thelackthereof

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasemonkey07
yea he's probabbly the definition of a marine let a lone a sniper.

one other thing id like to add if your really into sniping in pb you should check out www.pbsniper.com its all bout snipers and scouts in pb.
"I hear he's like the b@stard child of Clint Eastwood and Yoda"
- some character on Numbers
Thelackthereof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:25 PM   #183
Superandy12
Im super thanks 4 asking!

Send a message via Yahoo to Superandy12
sweet I love sniping I thought all of you forgot about it. but im glad to see it is not a lost art.

I am an Offical PBreview Sniper
(join the club fellow snipers!)

SHIFTONE!
Superandy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 10:14 PM   #184
Prep Has Fallen
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Prep Has Fallen
okay okay, i read like the 1st 3 like 38 paragraph posts but i cant read em all........sorry
anyways, i think that sniping in paintball is almost worthless.... all guns have the SAME RANGE and that screws you over right there.....and when you are spotted (since everyones gun has about the same range) they're gonna unload on you... and byebye Mr. Sniper
i mean, you might be able to get one or maybe 2 guys, but once your spotted, then just tap out :-D
Prep Has Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:16 PM   #185
hellhammer321
Headshot=Fun

Send a message via AIM to hellhammer321
Sniping in the right place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prep Has Fallen
all guns have the SAME RANGE and that screws you over right there.....and when you are spotted (since everyones gun has about the same range)
this is very unaccurate. it maybe so in tournament based speedball games but in most rec woodland games the average player either rents a gun or spends an average of from $75 to $150 on a marker for complete stock. if you take most used markers by fields are either stock spyders or stock 98 customs. each which have a max EFFICENT range of about 50 to 70 ft and thats with a 3 ft spread. so therefore if you have a high end marker such as myself you can be quite a threat if you have 5 inch spreads at 160ft. thats a easy head shot at ranges most players can't even fire that far. so in complete conclusion i have to say, in a rec woodland game sniping is incredibly useful, but in a high speed tournament in a close enviroment game, sniping is rather useless. that is unless you have a fully auto sniper like I do, with a BPS of 22, then its like playing German machine gunner on Omaha Beach.
I hope you can see it my way
Old 07-20-2006, 12:51 AM   #186
T98man
howdy

Send a message via AIM to T98man
omfg! i just got done with the most typing of my life and now it all got deleted! *sighs*...not typing it all over

i consider myself a paintball sniper...and yes i like to work alone.
heres a few things i wanna clear up tho

1.when i say work alone...i dont mean independently from my team,
i am still a part of the gameplan.

2.what ive noticed from reading through alot of these forums is that manypeople dont really understand the roll of a paintball sniper and what it means, so they decide they don't exist....wrong

i must agree, my 98 custom is not gonna shoot any better than than the yahoo standing next to me with the autococker or whatever marker they might be holding,even with the 14 in. barrel, and yes...im not gonna nail you between the eyes from 100yds. away either.paintball snipers are called snipers because they are most like a sniper than anything else millitarrily relaited.

PBsnipers are really recon/ambushers. while the frontal assault team is firing away and the enemy is focused on them, the snipers job is to relay information on their movements in real time via walkie talkie or whatever u may have devised. and while the enemy is distracted, the snipers job is to effisiantly and quietly(as possible) take out as many targets as they can WITHOUT BEING DISCOVERED.if someone spots you then you kinda blew the whole idea. also, pbsnipers usually dont, and prolly shouldnt be the one raking in the most eliminations every game...if so the assault team has some practicing to do.

ambushing is another skill you will ahve needed to have masterd before you can say you are a sniper, anyone can hide behind or under a bush, wit untill the other team is in range and then send a hail of paint their way. a sniper should wat untill the enemy has already moved past before even thinking about shooting.if the enemy has passed you you have achieved two things and are about to achieve a third.
1.you have successfully blended yourself in with your surroundings and will be harder to spot when you open fire
2.you have tricked the opposition into believeing no one is there
3.by taking good shots in one or two fast. the enemy will have a hard time finding you if u are perfectly still. u have now hightend the level of paranioa of the other team. and they will stray from committing fully to their objective when they know there is a hidden threat behind them.
i call this a quiet ambush, unlike a typical ambush, no one knows where it came from.

and most likely, someone is going to say that all of that is a load of crap, but it is not, that is what i do almost every time i play and it works beautifully.
T98man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 03:38 PM   #187
Moszczienski

Send a message via AIM to Moszczienski
I agree fully with this post above, but i have a few things to add.
i think that in order to be a pb sniper you must under stand what real snipers do, they arent always the person sitting ontop of a grassy hill shooting a bunch of people, they provide guidance to the assault troops that are doing most of the fighting. Not to say that they dont shoot but in order to do this they should understand proper breathing, trigger pull technique, stance and all other tactics such as hiding moving quietly and most importantly patience, that is one of the snipers greatest assets the ability to sit and wait until the perfect opportunity opportunity it self.

5% on markers on Marked For Death Paintball

Great store cheap prices great guy check out his online store
Feedback
Moszczienski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 05:14 PM   #188
klank is here
Definatley Registered

Send a message via AIM to klank is here
I would be a sniper but I don't have the patience I like to charge and go out with 3 enemys following me, than get 5 kills and sit down for ever.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:25 PM   #189
Sparky_500
PRTFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by T98man View Post
omfg! i just got done with the most typing of my life and now it all got deleted! *sighs*...not typing it all over

i consider myself a paintball sniper...and yes i like to work alone.
heres a few things i wanna clear up tho

1.when i say work alone...i dont mean independently from my team,
i am still a part of the gameplan.

2.what ive noticed from reading through alot of these forums is that manypeople dont really understand the roll of a paintball sniper and what it means, so they decide they don't exist....wrong

i must agree, my 98 custom is not gonna shoot any better than than the yahoo standing next to me with the autococker or whatever marker they might be holding,even with the 14 in. barrel, and yes...im not gonna nail you between the eyes from 100yds. away either.paintball snipers are called snipers because they are most like a sniper than anything else millitarrily relaited.

PBsnipers are really recon/ambushers. while the frontal assault team is firing away and the enemy is focused on them, the snipers job is to relay information on their movements in real time via walkie talkie or whatever u may have devised. and while the enemy is distracted, the snipers job is to effisiantly and quietly(as possible) take out as many targets as they can WITHOUT BEING DISCOVERED.if someone spots you then you kinda blew the whole idea. also, pbsnipers usually dont, and prolly shouldnt be the one raking in the most eliminations every game...if so the assault team has some practicing to do.

ambushing is another skill you will ahve needed to have masterd before you can say you are a sniper, anyone can hide behind or under a bush, wit untill the other team is in range and then send a hail of paint their way. a sniper should wat untill the enemy has already moved past before even thinking about shooting.if the enemy has passed you you have achieved two things and are about to achieve a third.
1.you have successfully blended yourself in with your surroundings and will be harder to spot when you open fire
2.you have tricked the opposition into believeing no one is there
3.by taking good shots in one or two fast. the enemy will have a hard time finding you if u are perfectly still. u have now hightend the level of paranioa of the other team. and they will stray from committing fully to their objective when they know there is a hidden threat behind them.
i call this a quiet ambush, unlike a typical ambush, no one knows where it came from.

and most likely, someone is going to say that all of that is a load of crap, but it is not, that is what i do almost every time i play and it works beautifully.
Quit reading from specops, that site is one big "tippmanns own everything else on the market" ad.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:47 PM   #190
pbmike1888

hey now. i own a tippmann and i also consider myself a pb sniper. where i play, its is abandond factories and warehouses and stuff. second story windows are a great place to scout. 80% of the area we play in is wide open, and we tend to avoid that. ive been playing for 3 months now, and the vast majority of my kills have been either from a longer range than the person though i could actually hit them(although not out of the guns range), or from behind or the side. it depends on the setting in which you play. sneaking around and being undectected is something that needs to be done in woodsball and where we play. cuz most of the time you dont see the person whos shooting at you. so in woodsball and "urban" ball i tihnk sniping is 100% possible, and is a great tactic to use.
pbmike1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 03:21 PM   #191
Lastman
The CCI Guy

Paintball Sniping is possible, but in definition its not really sniping, its ambushing, taking long shots, flanking, recon, so many examples of what a sniper will do. The paintball gun however does not allow people to really "snipe". Its range is too short for that. Despite this people can still use fieldcraft, stealth and good marksmanship to their advantage over others. Besides, sniper just a title, nothing else.

Join Spec Ops! Go here http://www.specialopspaintball.com/brigade/index.asp
refere to recruiter#99710, and be a pal.

Spread Paintball!
http://www.petitiononline.com/pb123/petition-sign.html
Make a difference.
Lastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 09:44 PM   #192
huffman150
The Prankster

Send a message via MSN to huffman150
Thumbs up

ok, really like this thread because everything was right. i play scenario games at Battle Front Paintball(check it out in field reviews). there's a bunch of people there who say there a sniper but only one truly is. we call him "Ghillie Mike". he's the only one iv'e ever seen. he's veryg ood at stealth and i've heard of stories where people would just be walking through the woods and then out of no where they were out. A couple people have said they were shot but couldn't see where it came from. He uses the Spec Ops Long Bow thing or something like that but he doesn't even have a long barrel or anything. well that's all i have to say. pretty much that snipers do exist but there not what everyone thinks. they can't killyou from 200yrds out, they don't use hugely long barrels, there just skilled at not being seen. That's sniper enough for me.
huffman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 07:16 PM   #193
Lastman
The CCI Guy

Spec Ops Long Bow could do it great gun from what I hear

Join Spec Ops! Go here http://www.specialopspaintball.com/brigade/index.asp
refere to recruiter#99710, and be a pal.

Spread Paintball!
http://www.petitiononline.com/pb123/petition-sign.html
Make a difference.
Lastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 11:19 AM   #194
Wonder Bill
Spectre of the Night

Send a message via AIM to Wonder Bill
snipe/snaɪp/Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[snahyp]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciationnoun, plural snipes, (especially collectively) snipe for 1, 2; verb sniped, snip‧ing.

–noun 1.any of several long-billed game birds of the genera Gallinago (Capella) and Limnocryptes, inhabiting marshy areas, as G. gallinago (common snipe), of Eurasia and North America, having barred and striped white, brown, and black plumage. 2.any of several other long-billed birds, as some sandpipers. 3.a shot, usually from a hidden position. –verb (used without object) 4.to shoot or hunt snipe. 5.to shoot at individuals as opportunity offers from a concealed or distant position: The enemy was sniping from the roofs. 6.to attack a person or a person's work with petulant or snide criticism, esp. anonymously or from a safe distance.
[Origin: 1275–1325; ME snype (n.) < ON -snīpa (in mȳrisnīpa moor snipe); c. Norw snipa, Icel snīpa; cf. Dan sneppe, G Schnepfe]

So, as we can all see there are no long-billed birds in Paintball, Definitions 3 and 5 are all we need to see to realize that yes, sniping is 100% possible in paintball. As the definition states, technically, if you shoot and nobody knows you're there OR you're too far away for them to do anything about it, you're sniping. Now, as far as I'm concerned the range doesn't really matter, and we've all pretty much agreed that most paintball guns basically have the same range. However, if you give a USMC sniper (for instance, maybe, Carlos Hathcock?) an M-16, is he suddenly not a sniper?? Or, if Carlos still has his bolt action .30-06 and takes out an unsuspecting target from only 30 meters, was he not sniping? Of course he is and of course he was. It is not the range, necessarily, but the hidden aspect, and everyone must realize that you can shoot and hide in paintball. Even, I guess, In speedball, if your opponents are incredibly inattentive and you get somewhere they don't notice, I guess that you could, by the definition, "snipe" them, but I myself would limit the term "sniper" to players who focus on (and are good at) stealth, positioning, and accuracy with low shots-kill ratios. (as accurate as could be with paintballs, that is) Sorry for the lengthy post.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:31 AM   #195
pbmike1888

even the term "hunting" could be used. im sure plenty of people have "stalked" their target and taken a good shot. instead of taking a unclear shot and getting into a fire fight.

BEST OFFER TILL I FIGURE OUT A PRICE.lol
pbmike1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:33 PM   #196
rhino44
GST Lead Designer

i snipe people with a talon and a red dot sight. ive earned a reputation for
being the "flanker". when the firefight begins i usually walk their flank and protect it at the same time. one more thing i was walking a flank one time
and this guy pops over a small mound at 20 feet away and completely oblivious to my presence. he walked off the field with quite the cleaning chore for his lens.

The Wal-Mart in Wasilla, Alaska sells more duck tape than any other Wal-Mart in the world

You dont support the troops if you dont support the war they're fighting
rhino44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 02:10 PM   #197
trigiani

Send a message via MSN to trigiani
If "sniper" means to you what it does to most people, then being a sniper is definitely possible in almost any case, except for speedball. This means accurate shooting and maintaining stealth.

When I play woodsball, I find it infinitely more effective to play like this.

With the more specific (and likely more correct) definition of a sniper, no, it is not possible to be a sniper. Paintballs, for the most part, can barely be shot accurately from long distances in simple circumstances. As far as I know, including elevation, and wind is not possible to make an accurate shot.
trigiani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:59 AM   #198
sidewinderwcc

my stepfather was a sniper in the army for 4 years. when i saw this discussion i talked to him about it. he told me that it is not about your shooting it is about your concealment. any idiot can shoot someone with one shot, we have all done it a thousand times. what makes you a sniper is haveing that person nearly step on you as they are walking by and then shooting them and never being seen. a speedball sniper? get real guys. but in games such as d-day they do exist and are a devistating force.
sidewinderwcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 07:25 PM   #199
hellomynameis
ello

I think sniping is possible in any case.. I just don't think there really is such a thing as a sniper paintball marker. All you really have to do is play back, be somewhat stealthy, and choose your shots selectively, and I consider that sniping.

Sure there are some things that make markers look like snipers and can help a little for aiming or stealth (like maybe a stock, camo, or flatline barrel). Any marker could be used to "snipe" (from really fast speedball markers to special ops longbows) and you can do it in speedball if you really want to..but it is a lot more effective in woodsball or scenarios because you can actually hide

I don't really like sniping.. but it is certainly is a tactic that can work well if your good at it
hellomynameis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 02:49 PM   #200
Blacksheep
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Blacksheep Send a message via Yahoo to Blacksheep
But then again...he was in the Army...
Blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote