pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > General Forums > Strategies and Tactics

View Poll Results: Is sniping possible?
Yes, in all cases 126 14.25%
Only in Woodsball/Scenario\'s 375 42.42%
It is possible but not effective 219 24.77%
Never 164 18.55%
Voters: 884. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2006, 02:02 PM   #201
calaustria
Dominus vester sum

I believe that sniping can be done even with a pistol. As sidewinderwcc said, it's not about 1-shot kills. Any idiot can do that. It's all about stealth. I do not consider myself a sniper in paintball, but I do snipe sometimes. It usually depends on the situation. Sometimes, I would rather be on the assault team, and sometimes snipe. It works very well in pairs, but it can be done alone. In my opinion, a good sniper (pb or not) should be able to snipe in an orange hunting jacket using a pistol. What I like to do, is hide, and when I get a shot, not take one shot only, but about 10 super fast ones.
Half of PBR doesn't know the difference between a male and female anything...
"Epic Lulz"
calaustria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:48 AM   #202
Rancid Sumo
Packers for Life!

I think sniping is doable but not practical. At least where I play there is way to much cover for your opponents to hide behind. I had a guy try to play sniper against me where I was on top of a rock with no cover and he was on ground level behind a rock. After his initial shot (which hit about 6" in front of me) I unloaded on his position and kept him from getting another shot off untill my teammate flanked him. So unless you are a very good shot, you should probably just stick to closing the disance and unloading on the enemy rather than sniping. Thats just my opinion.
Rancid Sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:55 AM   #203
nick_t

Send a message via AIM to nick_t
In my opinion, there is no such thing as a paintball sniper, mainly because you can't make a paintball gun that will shoot accuratly, consistantly, or far enough to be a "sniper rifle". Also becaue most times people are playing in such a small area, that tatics are more important to winning the game instead of getting a few lucky shots. Another reason why i beleive that sniping is a myth in paintball is because of the way I play in which we basically make sniping impossible by using tactic to put the pressure on instead of letting someone set up to try and snipe. Also ghille suits are very impractical in the game of paintball because as I said before, people are usually in small enough areas so that blending is would prove to be difficult.
nick_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 05:42 PM   #204
.Element

I think its possible, but only in Woodsball, speedball is to fast paced, you wouldn't have enough time to take precise aim.

.Element is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:36 PM   #205
rhino44
GST Lead Designer

i agree with element woods ball and scenarios that is what i voted

The Wal-Mart in Wasilla, Alaska sells more duck tape than any other Wal-Mart in the world

You dont support the troops if you dont support the war they're fighting
rhino44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:10 AM   #206
Tippman_Freak
King of Canada

My opinion on snipers in paintball is that the sniper must be very tactful in when and who they shoot. If sniping a guy isn't necessary at a certain time, i don't think that the sniper should shoot. Don't give yourself away, wait for the "opportune moment" to take out someone who is more of a tactical threat.
Tippman_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:55 AM   #207
RyanS

I to agree with this fourm sniping is a possibility but i only thinnk in woodsball and scenario games just because in sppedball you really don't get much time to think about your next move. To snipe you don't even need a customized gun you could just use a tippman 98 stock and it would work fine. It would take more skill then using a A-5 with a scope and everything but hey y not build skill up. After all it's not the gun it's the guy/girl using it. As far as what a sniper should. I think a sniper should be smart not go all john wayne or rambo on a guy cause he is certain to get shot especialy if he is surrounded by guys and spred out from the rest of his group aka behind enemy lines. A sniper should make every shot count. Or if you think you have great cover and he is the only guy around and you want to kind of taunt him then you could fire a warning shot. But only do this is you a really confindent about your surroundings. Stealth like many others guys said is a very important key to sniping. Camo alos falls into that category. Cause if your wearing neon green in a woodland enviorment then your going to be seen. So try to blend in. Or i do this to when ever i can i go up a tree. But make sure the tree can hold you and also make sure it's not against the rules. Also if you find yourself laying down and a group of guys walk right by you don't shot them. Well not right then. Wait for some distance between you and them then pick one off. Then stay still don't move because they will be looking around. Wait until they stop or when they look in a different direction. Also if you can try to take two of them out at a time like quickly shot one then another make sure there close together this will make the whole process quicker.

Last edited by RyanS : 01-15-2007 at 09:05 AM.
RyanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 05:20 PM   #208
Sparky_500
PRTFW

Ok, first, if you're going to try (key word is try) and be a sniper, at least don't go hiding up trees, this is dumb for two reasons. 1st you fall, 2nd, you can't move.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:48 PM   #209
RyanS

wow you sure now how to piss on everyones fun eh
Old 01-16-2007, 03:09 PM   #210
Sparky_500
PRTFW

Maybee for now, but you'll thank me later. Sniper is much more effective on higher grounds though. So I see your point there. But concealment is easyer on the ground.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:18 PM   #211
RyanS

ya i guess but if you were an ex navy seal sniper like myself you'd be able to blend in anywhere
Old 01-18-2007, 03:10 PM   #212
Curly Fry
US TUBES

i use a 21inch barrel for realism not for the actual accuracey..... although it is the best barrel ive ever had
Model 98, 98C ACT, F7 Fusion, SL-68 II
Friendly Fire Paintball ~ Fox 4 Paintball
Upton, MA
Curly Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:16 PM   #213
Sparky_500
PRTFW

How is that realistic and what does it have to do with sniping?
Old 02-23-2007, 11:25 AM   #214
paulmichaels222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheps View Post
OK i know that the topic of sniping has been pounded into the ground, that is why i made this forum, because I feel that it is possible to snipe in paintball as long as one has a realistic definition of sniping. I will explain to you what my definition is and why it is that way, if you disagree with anything i say then say so and say why, because simply saying "ur a n00b" does not solve anything.

My definition of a sniper:

1. a sniper usually uses a highly customized marker, normally a very accurate one with a long or specialized barrel. Normally semi - automatic markers like Tippmans or pumps (i can't think of any examples right now, sorry) are used

2. Sights, scopes and other aiming devices are not required to make a sniper, as these are for the most part useless with paintball markers

3. snipers should not play speedball with their sniping setup, as sniping in speedball is suicide

4. snipers often use camoflage or ghillie suits, or at least clothes that blend in with their surroundings

5.a sniper is supposed to be very patient and chooses his shots very carefully, using a minimum of paintballs

6. a good sniper should be skilled in stealth, long range shooting, evasion of alerted enemies, snapshooting, calculating where their first shot's going and basic light infantry tactics (not necessarily training) anyone lacking these skills isn't really a sniper in my book

7. snipers sometimes use silencers (which will not be discussed in great length, because of forum rules)

8. A sniper will move often during a game to get a better shot or complete an objective, if a "sniper" doesn't move then they're not a sniper

Things not necessary to snipe:

1. scopes - just because he has no scope does not mean he isn't a sniper

2. a 21" barrel - it is just n00bish stupidity to think that a 21" is necessary to snipe, as that long a barrel will contribute little to accuracy as increased friction will negate much of the benefit Also 21" barrels are very clumsy and hard to aim on the move (not good in paintball)

3. greater range than a "normal" marker - in real life sniper rifles have the same range as normal guns, it is just that they are constructed to be more accurate at long range (like the Russian SVD, it is almost identical to the AK-47 but has finer parts, a longer barrel and more customization)

Please read this definition before posting, if i find anyones points make sense then i will update my definition. An if you can prove without a shadow of a doubt that sniping is impossible then i will declare you a god.

- edited parts in bold
Just play man. Why do you care about all the details? Get into a rythm and play play play till your hearts desire . lol.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:50 PM   #215
eddyydde
MR1 FTW!

Send a message via AIM to eddyydde
i don't really think that there is such thing as a sniper in paintball.
12 inch Mongoose 2 stock barrel
12 inch MR1 stock barrel
Tac. Performance hopper
3000/72ci Pure Energy HPA/N2
Spyder '06 Imagine Refurb
All the above barrels
Viewloader 12 volt maxx w/ x-board
eddyydde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:08 AM   #216
CaptDestruct
Captain Destructicon

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptDestruct
Ok, thought I'd set in on this thread because I've read so much I think my eyes are bleeding. Haven't read all of the posts, but don't think I need to since the same topics on Sniping have come up many times.
For me Sniping is not just an act but a state of mind, truly how many people out there can wait for 5 or even 10 minutes at least to wait for that perfect ambush. If they can't see you and don't know your whereabouts guess what less paint wasted.
Not trying to take away from pbreviews at all, don't think I am when I say, if you haven't checked it out go to specialopspaintball.com a clear and right to the point about Sniping in paintball is there.
I personally take up the position of Ambush (sniper) on many occasions. I have the guille suit (made it myself), my gun- Tippman 98 fits the role perfectly for me. If you get into the role you are the role.
Sniper paranoia... that is why I do it. Say a group of 6 is coming your way, you are concealed and have a clear shot. You take out the back man. The other 5 turn not knowing where it came from. You move. They still procede, you get another few shots off without being seen and take out 2-3 more of them. 2 left. By this time the rest of your Squad/Team has encircled and game over. The thought of not knowing where your getting shot from is a frightening one. Hesitence doesn't work too good on a woodsball/scenario field.
CaptDestruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:32 PM   #217
calaustria
Dominus vester sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky_500 View Post
Ok, first, if you're going to try (key word is try) and be a sniper, at least don't go hiding up trees, this is dumb for two reasons. 1st you fall, 2nd, you can't move. 3rd, you are easy to spot, 4th, if spotted, you are also owned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDestruct View Post
Ok, thought I'd set in on this thread because I've read so much I think my eyes are bleeding. Haven't read all of the posts, but don't think I need to since the same topics on Sniping have come up many times.
For me Sniping is not just an act but a state of mind, truly how many people out there can wait for 5 or even 10 minutes at least to wait for that perfect ambush. If they can't see you and don't know your whereabouts guess what less paint wasted.
Not trying to take away from pbreviews at all, don't think I am when I say, if you haven't checked it out go to specialopspaintball.com a clear and right to the point about Sniping in paintball is there.
I personally take up the position of Ambush (sniper) on many occasions. I have the guille suit (made it myself), my gun- Tippman 98 fits the role perfectly for me. If you get into the role you are the role.
Sniper paranoia... that is why I do it. Say a group of 6 is coming your way, you are concealed and have a clear shot. You take out the back man. The other 5 turn not knowing where it came from. You move. They still procede, you get another few shots off without being seen and take out 2-3 more of them. 2 left. By this time the rest of your Squad/Team has encircled and game over. The thought of not knowing where your getting shot from is a frightening one. Hesitence doesn't work too good on a woodsball/scenario field.

Lol... Yes people who know what the hell they are doing move in groups 2 feet away from each other and turn when somebody behind them is hit. Sniping is not a state of mind. It's sitting there being useless. One of my friends brought his kid when we were playing rec woodsball in his field. The kid thought he was a sniper too. He was one of those people who worship specops like you. Their entire team was out, except for that kid. It was our last game too, and this was the only time he managed to actually hide. We looked for him for about 10 minutes, then just quit and went inside. An hour later he came in and yelled at us because we didn't wait for him. Turns out he was in a tree at the back of the field in a guilli suit.
Half of PBR doesn't know the difference between a male and female anything...
"Epic Lulz"

Last edited by calaustria : 03-24-2007 at 02:57 PM.
calaustria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:15 PM   #218
CaptDestruct
Captain Destructicon

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptDestruct
Ok never said that I worshipped Specops... Just made the statement that Specops gives a definition of what a "sniper" is.
Why I said about a state of mind, is because when you are playing the role of ambush which is a better term than just sniper, you have to not let them know you are there you have to be in the right state of mind to "ambush" people.
And someone that is on a squad or team for scenario ball that plays ambush does play an important role for that team.
Now before I get butchered, let me just say that, and I can't believe I'm saying this being a lover of squad/team play, the position of "sniper/ambush" is not needed in all cases. Yes I am admitting that the "sniper" position is not needed all the time. It's an addition in some cases that puts the "scenario" in Scenario Paintball.
If you ask some people their teams/squads might not have a "sniper/ambush" because it's not the way they run their team. Some will say that they use it religiously. Either way everyone has their own idea about the whole "sniping" thing. I am one of the ones that plays it for the most part almost every other game I play, I like the idea of Ambush, and there are many more like me out there.
CaptDestruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:37 AM   #219
Evil_Wayz
Malevolence Personified

Location: Gainesville, Florida, HOME OF THE MIGHTY GATORS aka TITLETOWN,USA
Send a message via AIM to Evil_Wayz Send a message via MSN to Evil_Wayz Send a message via Yahoo to Evil_Wayz
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasemonkey07 View Post
ok here is a quote from a well respected sniper from the vietnam war era some of you may know him his name is Carlos Hatcock, " The sniper is the big game hunter of the battlefield, and he needs all the skills of a woodsman, marksman, hunter, and poacher. He must possess the field craft to be able to position himself for a killing shot, and he must be able to effectivley place a single bullet into his intended target."
For the record, it's Hathcock. RIP MSgt Carlos M. "Long Tr'ang" Hathcock, USMC.
Semper Fidelis
La Illaha Illa Shaitan
"Marines die. That's what we are here for. But the Marine Corps will live forever."
Evil_Wayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:34 PM   #220
NaturalViolence

Send a message via AIM to NaturalViolence Send a message via MSN to NaturalViolence
Movement is the key to sniping, although camo does help it only helps so much. As a sniper ou have to move fast, but much more importantly you have to know when to mve and you have to be patient. Movement is what alerts your enemies to your presence, not color. In my opinion a sniper in paintbal is just someone who attacks with stealth rather than with speed and directly. If anyone of you has played rts games before, it's booming verus rushing, snipers being booming. It's simple two different ways of attacking enemies, assault uses speed and snipers use stealth. Which is better for you depends on the person and what equipment they're using. That is my personal definition. For this to be true you must take into account how different paintball and real combat are and what those differences are, therefore the definition of sniping is different in paintball than in real combat.

Stupidity is not a handicap, park somewhere else.
NaturalViolence is offline   Reply With Quote