pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > General Forums > Strategies and Tactics

View Poll Results: Is sniping possible?
Yes, in all cases 126 14.25%
Only in Woodsball/Scenario\'s 375 42.42%
It is possible but not effective 219 24.77%
Never 164 18.55%
Voters: 884. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2005, 03:34 PM   #101
Infiltrator
Arctic Wolf

Send a message via AIM to Infiltrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coenen
Both want to, only one will be effective at it. THAT is the difference between a 'sniper' and a noob with a long barrel etc.

Also take into account a great many of us would like to score eliminations without being pin-pointed but don't consider it a nessecity. Speedball, or more open wooded areas place importance on remaining undetected, but it is not imperative to do so. In some ways having you position known can be MORE effective than having it not known. If you are holding a key bunker and want to flank the enemy on the other side of the field don't you want them concentrating on this key bunker? If you hit the snake in the arena don't you want the other team knowing you are there so as to take some heat off of your other front men? Granted the second example provides ample oppurtunity for utilizing surprise even AFTER the opposition knows you are present, but both are good examples of tactics and situations where being undetected is not only unnessecary but IMHO unwanted.
This is so right on. Usually when playing woodsball, I would rather someone shoot in my direction, then not shoot at all. If I had a good backman on the team, he would bait people to shoot at him, while I use his sound to run full speed along the tapeline without anyone looking in my direction.]

In scenario games scouting was what I did most. I was mostly just bait, but it was super cool to run really fast through the woods and shoot anything that moved, or made a noise. As soon as I shot in whatever direction, everyone behind me would unload at that spot. Very stress relieving. People would try to run, but get seriously lit up.

In tournaments it's just the opposite, whenever I moved to the 60, it was gameover for the other team. All I had to do was show myself and everyone on the other team instantly concentrated all their fire on me. As I get shot up or held down, the other frontman backdoored and finished off everyone that remained.
Infiltrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 05:32 PM   #102
DyePaintballa65

concealment if you play woods ball... because everyone that has ever played woodsball uses no concealment, no one has a costomized marker, and doesnt try to be quiet.. yea right. its not like every one that plays woodsball marches around, blowing a trumpet, and waving a flag... and everyone's setup is stock right? there are no snipers
DyePaintballa65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 02:45 PM   #103
Mr Murderdoll89
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Mr Murderdoll89
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyePaintballa65
... and everyone's setup is stock right?

Not necessarily, at any scenario game, all of the guns you'll see are decked out in upgrades.
Mr Murderdoll89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 02:55 PM   #104
wiabomb1
Res

I could only read so much

I read what I could and put much thought into what everyone was saying. I had to quit reading and voice my opinion after so many threads comparing a woodsball sniper to a military sniper. There is no comparison, I know this for a fact. Serving in the 101st as tactical sniper and playing woodsball for fun I can tell you that.
1st of all, in woodsball, any barrel longer then 14 inches is pointless. I have looked into the "super long range barrels" and the velocity of the ball at 125 feet has been reduced so much from all the friction it developed traveling thru the barrel that they don't function as they should. Many times no breaking on impact. What's funny is I read one who said he was fine with that he was still shooting further then most. Well, you just gave away your direction and a worthy squad will hunt you down and "kill you in minutes"!!
2nd, I actually laughed out loud at a guy who said he snipes in bright orange. I would love to play this person. To blend into your surroundings you have to become your surroundings, I have never seen bright orange woods. An opposing sniper would have him elimated in 5 minutes.
3rdly, The math needed on a military battlefield poses no use in woodsball. your painball is only going a Maximum of 225 ft fired paralle to the ground.
4th, In woodsball sniping there are several forms of sniping. Yes one who stays stationary waiting to protect his domain is a worthy sniper. This being able to position himself, while remaining undetected into the heart of the battle, in a position to eliminate the oppositation while they come to him is remarkable. The Sniper who breaks away from others and takes his time flanking the other team capturing them and cutting off all escapes routes is the most difficult sniper in woodsball. He must be patient and find a spot that takes away every angle of escape and immobilize the others with a single shot so his teammates can move in for the kill. Thats a true woodsball sniper.
5th Im going to end this on this note as I could go on and on, I play sniper on a scenario team that competes at Ft. Campbell and I have played sniper for years. If your team has a true sniper on it who knows how to work solo and find the oppositation you understand the rewards I speak of.
ProBall
WOODSBALL is the only way to play

wiabomb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 06:18 PM   #105
Meatloaf101

if you want to be an top notch pb sniper get a nice mid to high range pump gun and make it camo by what ever means nesicary and get some camo on your *** and wait
Meatloaf101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 10:10 PM   #106
elfboy382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheps
Normally semi - automatic markers like Tippmans or pumps (i can't think of any examples right now, sorry) are used
Phantoms are accurate pumps.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:47 AM   #107
Diablo1216

Send a message via AIM to Diablo1216 Send a message via MSN to Diablo1216 Send a message via Skype™ to Diablo1216
You can snipe to a certain extent in paintball, just remember your not going to make 300 yard shots, if a good camo to terrain match is used the average shot is between 20 and 30 feet. As for sniper rifles shooting just as far as regular rifles, thats only trus in some cases. You can't compare a ROBAR SR60 (.308 my dad uses for SWAT) to a M82A1A (50 cal sniper used by military snipers for extermely long ranged shots. I has been recorded at 1000+ yards)
Diablo1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 11:06 AM   #108
Mentalmonkey10
I am Jack's STD

Send a message via AIM to Mentalmonkey10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatloaf101
if you want to be an top notch pb sniper get a nice mid to high range pump gun and make it camo by what ever means nesicary and get some camo on your *** and wait
Pumps are NOT more accurate or have more of a range than any other gun. The only reason that most pumps are very accurate is that a lot of pump guns have very nice stock parts.

Paintball sniper=No

Sniper tactics in paintball (being consealed and quiet)=Possible, but mostly useless unless you are EXTREMELY good at taking shots.

Paintball sharpshooter=certainly. Anyone can take single shots at the opposition and try to eliminate them 1 shot per "kill".

That's just my input on this.
Blue Invert Mini
PBN Feedback
Mentalmonkey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 06:19 PM   #109
drtalent

Sniping might be possible for like 10% of the team max. I played woods against a team of "snipers"...campers.

drtalent!!!!
I won something!
drtalent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 07:41 AM   #110
Pballer12345

Sniper: One who shoots at other people from a concealed place (dictionary.com)
If that is your definition then in woodsball there IS snipers. It depends on your definition of snipers. Anyone can do all the things you can listed but it doesn't mean that it is very affective to do.
It depends on the basic definition of "someone who hides and shoots from long distances" because if you play a game like President then you need some people that have hidden views of main passing areas. When I play woodsball on a small field then sniping isn't important. On most objective games though it is very important to have someone "sniping." But in reality the whole long distances is what seperates paintball sniper believers from paintball sniper denyers (spelled wrong sorry). Yes, it is possible to hit someone from a long distance with a paintball gun, but how effective? Unless you have great skills, then you're probably not helping your team very much. Over 70 yards there is no way in the woods you can hit someone unless they were sitting still covered in goggles. The chance of braking is probably 1 out of 50. Then accuracy. Wind, gravity, and maybe even humidity will affect range/accuracy. Furthermore, getting around brush and around trees is impossible so you have to wait for a perfect shot. One time I shot a paintball at my friends dad (I was in the open he was in THICKLY dense trees). The shot curved about 10 yards right around a ton of trees and I hit him from around 60 yeards (all stock Spyder Fenix). The shot bounced, but he called himself out. The chance of that was so slight. If I had done it 100 more times maybe the same result would have happened 1 more time. Lastly, timing is key. If someone is running at about 10 mph and you are 70 yards away what angle do you need to shoot. I know that is unrealistic to calculate, but that is what a sniper has to judge. Experience and skill are required. In general, no there are not snipers, but there is an exception to a lot of rules, and YES there is a few good/effective ones.
Pballer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:20 PM   #111
Superandy12
Im super thanks 4 asking!

Send a message via Yahoo to Superandy12
Sniper: one who gets all the babes with his sweet No0b pawning moves.

come on people get it right.

I am an Offical PBreview Sniper
(join the club fellow snipers!)

SHIFTONE!
Superandy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 05:18 PM   #112
1ofkind
Warning this guy is crazy

Send a message via AIM to 1ofkind
Sniper : one who attacks their enemy while their enemy doesn't even know they're under attack.

It's more of an adjective, describing they way one is attacking
1ofkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:10 PM   #113
Lil_Snipah

Lots of good arguements, and I think it is clear that snipers can exist in paintball, but the real ones are few and far between. Also, too many confuse "being stealthy" and being a "sniper."
Also, being a sniper is cool and all, but there is nothing like sprinting behind enemy lines and unloading a hopper into an unsuspecting opponent....sure it's not as glorious as the "one shot kill" but its still fun.
Lil_Snipah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 01:16 PM   #114
Infiltrator
Arctic Wolf

Send a message via AIM to Infiltrator
Well it's kind of hard for snipers to work in paintball, when airsoft snipers shoot above 500 fps and still say sniping is not very effective.
Infiltrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 01:59 PM   #115
max123
Tac-One

Haven't read the whole thread but my opinion of a sniper would be a person who has a quiet gun that can hide well and is very good at aiming and knows there gun.

I don't believe you don't need a long barrel because they have been proven not to help with accuracy or distance. Scopes are useless because of how paintballs fly, possibly could be used just to see where people are. I expensive or highly customized gun is not needed because anything shooting at 280fps with a consistent air and a good barrel will shot the same as any other gun. If i have repeated anything sorry i didn't read the whole thing.
max123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:44 PM   #116
The Homeland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Snipah
Lots of good arguements, and I think it is clear that snipers can exist in paintball, but the real ones are few and far between. Also, too many confuse "being stealthy" and being a "sniper."
Also, being a sniper is cool and all, but there is nothing like sprinting behind enemy lines and unloading a hopper into an unsuspecting opponent....sure it's not as glorious as the "one shot kill" but its still fun.
um... unloading a hopper into an opponent?? who would want to play paintball with you if you do that?

The Homeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:05 PM   #117
Coenen
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Coenen Send a message via Yahoo to Coenen
I really don't think that was meant to be taken literally...and shorten your sig.
Coenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 01:02 PM   #118
splatmania
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to splatmania
there is no such thing as a "sniper" paintball gun but it is possible to use "sniper" tactics during a wood/scenario game
splatmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 03:31 PM   #119
stuntman
Play Fast, Play Fair

Real, but Rare

My 2 cents on Sinpers -
"Sniper" (or whatever you call them) is a mindset more than anything else.
If a player favors tactics that rely on stealth, concealment, suprise, and fire discipline, (as opposed to speed, monuverability & firepower) then they may call themselves a Sniper without bothering me at all. I dont mean in the general "all woodsballers are snipers" way, but someone who deliberatly practices those skills, and plays that style consistantly. Its about cultivating the one-shot-one-kill mentality, more than getting the "right" marker.
Too many people get all worked up about terminology & equipment, none of which is really important or relevant. I noticed several people in this thread making the wise remark that one cannot compare paintball snipers to their military counterparts. True! Ive also seen people deny the existance of PB snipers. False!
Snipers are real - I should know, Ive been shot by them enough times to have gotten the hint - but it is an uncommon player who takes the time to develop their skills enough to make it work.

It might be worth noting that most of the people who claim snipers dont exist & get most wrapped up in terminology are speedballers, and have never had the chance to play with one.
Ive been playing paintball since 1986 and I can assure you all - Snipers ARE real, and if they do their job well...you'll never see them, so you can keep on disbeleiving in them with a clear consience.
stuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 03:14 PM   #120
Stan the HitMan
Owner of: HitmanPaintball

Send a message via MSN to Stan the HitMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superandy12
Sniper: one who gets all the babes with his sweet No0b pawning moves.

come on people get it right.