pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > General Forums > Strategies and Tactics

View Poll Results: Is sniping possible?
Yes, in all cases 126 14.25%
Only in Woodsball/Scenario\'s 375 42.42%
It is possible but not effective 219 24.77%
Never 164 18.55%
Voters: 884. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2006, 06:42 PM   #121
slaminator3323
Final Fantasy 8 Rocks

Heres my input, snipers have 4 times the effective range and are twice as accurate, is your gun like that? If it isn't then you aren't a sniper. The stupid dictionary also classes all ballers as snipers, what do I do in speedball*gasp*conceal myself behind a bunker. So the dictionary definition is null and void.
Kila magnetic detents
NDZ Saw trigger
CP two piece
Smoke Reloader B
Jungle Fighters
Got a Tadao board and 360 QEV and haven't played paintball in over a year,(I have bad withdrawals).
slaminator3323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 06:55 PM   #122
IronCorps
Banned

Send a message via AIM to IronCorps Send a message via Yahoo to IronCorps
The guy with the J&J Edge or Freak barrel kit, a ghuilli suit, patience, and careful selection of the engagement zone (which is one thing that snipers are able to do, select where the fire fight will take place) , proper concealment, and coordination with his spotter and teammates will be much more effective than the average woodsballer who *gasp* ducks behind a rock or log and takes cover.
IronCorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:50 PM   #123
Aslan2005
Tippmann Slayer

Thumbs down sniping

My 2 cents...like some others have said, you can't usually be a"sniper" in paintball because there just isn't enough time in a paintball game. And actually, as much as I like "sniping"...everytime I've played no time limit games, they've lasted forever because nobody moves...they just sit in bushes like snipers waiting for the other people to move. There have been times in 15 minute games where I've went into stalker/sniper mode and worked my way around the enemy...only to hear the whistle blow and that the game was over either due to time or eliminations. Just not enough time to "snipe in a 15 minute game.
Aslan2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 04:36 AM   #124
skidds
BBUC Senior Member

Sniping huh??? Well you take 3 markers.... A Brass eagle Avenger, An Ion and an Intimidator.... all have a 14" CP and are shooting the same paint, all are chronod at 280fps.... fire each one... all should go the same distance.... right?? Yes... acuracy will be the same.... same paint...same barrel.... is sniping possible in paintbal??? No.... come one we all know this!!! Only with weapons that kill can you have a longer barrel with the weapon that fires over 3000 fps and uses a scope..... oh well people will still say, when you ask...what position you play? "I play sniper on my team" Ok...
skidds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:53 PM   #125
m.98
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to m.98
Sniping

----Ok, short and sweet.
-Is sniping possible?
Yes, Sniping is possible.
-Woodsball? Speedball? Scenario?
Woodsball, Scenario.
-Am I a sniper?
Formerly.
-Why?
I play woodsball, and there just isnt enough time.
-Should this get a sticky?
Yes.
-Are snipers very abundant?
No, about 95% of people who say they are snipers are not.
-What are my thoughts on sniping?
Sniping is a rare feat that I used to accomplish. If you are a real sniper, my hat is off to you because I know how hard it is.

>>>>>>>Yes, Sniping is possible.But it takes to much time is woodsball, you have to move on.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
m.98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 10:32 PM   #126
Sheps

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidds
Sniping huh??? Well you take 3 markers.... A Brass eagle Avenger, An Ion and an Intimidator.... all have a 14" CP and are shooting the same paint, all are chronod at 280fps.... fire each one... all should go the same distance.... right?? Yes... acuracy will be the same.... same paint...same barrel.... is sniping possible in paintbal???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Simo Häyhä (December 17, 1906 – April 1, 2002) of Finland is regarded by many as the most effective sniper in the history of warfare. Using a relatively primitive Mosin-Nagant Model 28, Häyhä sniped 542 Soviet Union soldiers in the Winter War between November 30, 1939 and March 6, 1940, before he was seriously wounded.

Vasili Grigoryevich Zaitsev (Russian: Васи́лий Григо́рьевич За́йцев) (23 March 1915 – 15 December 1991) was a Soviet sniper during World War II who between 10 November and 17 December 1942 during the Battle of Stalingrad killed 225 soldiers and officers of the Wehrmacht and other Axis armies, including 11 snipers (in Junior Lieutenant military rank). Prior to 10 November he had already killed 32 Axis soldiers with the ordinary Mosin rifle ("tryokhlineyka", three line rifle) [1].

Pavlichenko joined the Red Army's 25th Infantry Division and became one of the 2000 Soviet female snipers, of whom only about 500 survived the war. As a sniper, she made her first two kills near Belyayevka, using a Soviet Mosin-Nagant 5-shot bolt action rifle (adapted for sniping with a P.E. 4-power scope). It fired a 148 gr (9.6 g) bullet at a velocity of 2800 ft/s (853 m/s), being effective out to 600 yd (550 m).
Still think Range = Sniping?

Last edited by Sheps : 03-09-2006 at 10:41 PM.
Sheps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 02:44 AM   #127
IronCorps
Banned

We've been over this, in paintball range does not = sniping. Accuracy at range does help however.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:41 AM   #128
i_lovesniping

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaminator3323
Heres my input, snipers have 4 times the effective range and are twice as accurate, is your gun like that? If it isn't then you aren't a sniper. The stupid dictionary also classes all ballers as snipers, what do I do in speedball*gasp*conceal myself behind a bunker. So the dictionary definition is null and void.
You do know that for real guns they go just as far as other guns accept a hand gun. All a sniper rifle is is a rifle with a scope it doesnt go farther. But they are made more accurtly.
i_lovesniping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:06 PM   #129
pbjoe693
Unregistered User

Send a message via AIM to pbjoe693
A sniper is just a skilled military shooter assigned to pick off enemy soldiers from a concealed location.

Snipers in the military have evolved a lot in the past 40 years. I am mostly talking about what a sniper was for the majority of the time it has been an official position in the military

There are a lot of misconceptions about snipers. Here are a few.
1.Snipers only shoot from very very far distances
Wrong, like I said above a sniper is really just a skilled shooter.
2.Snipers stay in one spot
Wrong, snipers are allways moving. When a sniper makes a kill or is spotted, they are supposed to move to a new location. Moving helps a sniper stay undetected.
3.Snipers have to have scopes
Wrong, a sniper is just a skilled shooter. The first snipers didnt even have scopes. Having a scope just helps a lot.
4.Sniper rifles allways have better accuracy and range than infantry rifles.
Now, most military snipers do. But for the majority of the time a sniper was a official position in the military, they were handed the same rifle as the infantry but with one or two small modifications.

A paintball sniper can do all the things above. If you are very skilled at shooting paintball guns, you could call yourself a sniper if you want.

Tippmann A5
| Picture |

Tippmann 98 Custom

05 Proto Matrix

Tiberius 8 Pistol

pbjoe693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 10:37 AM   #130
mokalman
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mokalman
Ya'll are stupid. When a newb asks someone what the best sniper gun is, they don't mean, "what's the most accurate gun i can buy?" they mean, "What's the most accurate, powerful, and farthest shooting gun I can buy?"
mokalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 09:20 AM   #131
DirtyBirdy51

Send a message via AIM to DirtyBirdy51
u know, someones thread had a paintball sniper video in it that denounces the sniper and does a good job at doing so. that guy should get a medal, i love him. maybe ambush is a better word, because since all pb guns shoot the same length (roughly, depends on fps and such) there is no sniper. since we all shoot from concealed positions, there is no sniper. fi you guys give me anymore reasons someone is a sniper (PM those reasons to me please) ill denounce those too, post them here and finish them off with "...there is no sniper". Ambush is the better word.
DirtyBirdy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:06 PM   #132
Sheps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokalman
Ya'll are stupid. When a newb asks someone what the best sniper gun is, they don't mean, "what's the most accurate gun i can buy?" they mean, "What's the most accurate, powerful, and farthest shooting gun I can buy?"
Indeed, thats why I think that the term "sniper" is a misnomer, but since thats the word everyone uses...

The modern sniper (in the military sense) basically equates to a long range assasin, they operate in pairs and eliminate targets such as officers, or important technology. The reason they use long ranged weapons is so that they only have to approach their enemies to the point where they can effectively engage their target; and then safely exfiltrate the area. Where a sniper differs from an assasin is the fact that snipers do not consider themselves expendable, they are generally intelligent, rational human beings, rather than being fanatical, overzealous, and logical only when observed from within the constructs of their belief system; in effect, assasins are only logical to themselves and others who are indoctrinated to the same degree as themselves (or to those who are trained to analyze such people, namely, psychaitrists and police negotiators).

For the reason that snipers do not consider themselves expendable, the "normal" methods of an assasin cannot be adopted (to get within meters of the target and kill them with a concealed weapon, normally through treacherous means), as a sniper will not be willing to die for his or her cause, and generally will not accept a mission that is guaranteed to kill them. For this reason tactics that removed the killer from the immediate danger of the target's guardians, while still retaining the basic result (to kill the target) were developed. The reason distance and accuracy became the specialization of this new breed of soldier is so that they could do their job while remaining at the edge of (or out of) their enemies defensive measures.

Applied to the paintball world, the above paragraphs describe the scenario "sniper" quite well, they use the superior effective range of their markers (achieved through consistency mods which allow the shooter to bring his velocity closer the limit without going over, and a good paint to barrel match) to eliminate specific targets of great value (as dictated by the rules of the scenario). This differes in woodsball and speedball where their is not usually "commanders", but in this case the individual in question is still performing the role of a sharpshooter or marksman (who act as force multipliers, eliminating tactical objectives, such as players who command an advantageous position).

Discuss.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:57 PM   #133
Aslan2005
Tippmann Slayer

sniper

A "sniper" classification isn't just about "one shot, one kill" or "long range assasin". In paintball it's also about separating yourself from the "action" and working yourself into a more beneficial position. It's amazing the effect one or two people can have on the opposing teams attack plans when that one or two persons manage to work them selves to the rear of the enemy or two an advantageous flank.

To me, "playing like a sniper" means going off on my own or with a very small group and picking off a few opposing players...that's all.
Aslan2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 03:08 AM   #134
Trulyoldnavy

By Aslans definition it sounds more like a skirmisher than a sniper......
Trulyoldnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 06:11 AM   #135
IronCorps
Banned

Yeah for real. If that's all you'd do, you'd be all but useless unless those 'few players' included op4 senior commanders during a scenario game or something. A sniper team's job in paintball is more about protecting their team while they move, harassing the enemy during their advance (and your retreat), controling vast sections of the field, gathering intel prior to a team-sized maneuver, and of course the infamus assassination mission.

Last edited by IronCorps : 03-19-2006 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:28 AM   #136
mgitlin
Ex-*****

Send a message via AIM to mgitlin Send a message via MSN to mgitlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trulyoldnavy
By Aslans definition it sounds more like a skirmisher than a sniper......
or flanker, that's what we usually call it
Old 03-19-2006, 08:13 PM   #137
Sheps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgitlin
or flanker, that's what we usually call it
But what happens if the Russians attack, and one of your teamates yells:

"LOOK OUT A FLANKER!!!"

And you look in the bushes and yell "where?!?" instead of ducking, and in the process get strafed by the Russian Air Force?

Anyways, the term sniper only really applies (to my mind) when your talking about the players who are given the assasination missions in a scenario, anywhere else and what your looking at is more of a supporting troop or just a skilled shooter, and so the term marksman or sharpshooter applies more readily.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:33 PM   #138
Blacksheep
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Blacksheep Send a message via Yahoo to Blacksheep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheps
Indeed, thats why I think that the term "sniper" is a misnomer, but since thats the word everyone uses...

The modern sniper (in the military sense) basically equates to a long range assasin, they operate in pairs and eliminate targets such as officers, or important technology. The reason they use long ranged weapons is so that they only have to approach their enemies to the point where they can effectively engage their target; and then safely exfiltrate the area. Where a sniper differs from an assasin is the fact that snipers do not consider themselves expendable, they are generally intelligent, rational human beings, rather than being fanatical, overzealous, and logical only when observed from within the constructs of their belief system; in effect, assasins are only logical to themselves and others who are indoctrinated to the same degree as themselves (or to those who are trained to analyze such people, namely, psychaitrists and police negotiators).

For the reason that snipers do not consider themselves expendable, the "normal" methods of an assasin cannot be adopted (to get within meters of the target and kill them with a concealed weapon, normally through treacherous means), as a sniper will not be willing to die for his or her cause, and generally will not accept a mission that is guaranteed to kill them. For this reason tactics that removed the killer from the immediate danger of the target's guardians, while still retaining the basic result (to kill the target) were developed. The reason distance and accuracy became the specialization of this new breed of soldier is so that they could do their job while remaining at the edge of (or out of) their enemies defensive measures.

Applied to the paintball world, the above paragraphs describe the scenario "sniper" quite well, they use the superior effective range of their markers (achieved through consistency mods which allow the shooter to bring his velocity closer the limit without going over, and a good paint to barrel match) to eliminate specific targets of great value (as dictated by the rules of the scenario). This differes in woodsball and speedball where their is not usually "commanders", but in this case the individual in question is still performing the role of a sharpshooter or marksman (who act as force multipliers, eliminating tactical objectives, such as players who command an advantageous position).

Discuss.
Until you can (in a pb game) call down artillery and air strike, relay information that can be readily acted upon, and shoot from beyond visual range of detection with the naked eye...they don't exist.

Besides, the term sniper is already being used by another party. You get sloppy seconds.
Blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:36 PM   #139
IronCorps
Banned

Well we already have paintball artillery, mortars and other various assorted long-range firepower, at least at the scenario games i attend annually. They're out there, cheap and simple to build.

Air support would be too expensive
Old 03-23-2006, 08:00 AM   #140
Blacksheep
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Blacksheep Send a message via Yahoo to Blacksheep
How long does it take for the gun team to recieve word, get into position, set-up thier system, zero, and correct for accurate fire? Probably well over ten minutes. The rate-of-fire probably isn't enough to make any effect anyways because it is usually one mortar and the proficiency simply isn't there because they do not run gun drills.

At any rate...I'll give you one. Shoot from beyond visual range with the naked eye, air strikes, and effectively relay information (effectively being key)...riddle me that Batman.
Blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote