pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > General Forums > Tourney Talk

Old 03-20-2005, 02:42 AM   #1
rcxpaintball

So you want to learn how to be a ref?

The following article was written by Bob McGuire for the April, 2000 issue of Action Pursuit Games Magazine.

It describes the first PTI referee certification class, held in Knoxville, Tennessee on 11/19/99, and may serve to describe the classes and the opportunity.

PROFESSIONAL REFEREE CLASSES…A MOMENT IN HELL

"NO WAY! I’m NOT OUT! He wiped…. I hit him first! Pull him, pull him!" The screaming player jerked away, as an exhausted referee tried in vain to pull his arm band.

"YOU’RE OUT, give me your arm band!" shouted the referee, as he quickly glanced for a nearby player to pull as an additional penalty. And then the world came crashing in, as every player on the field was running and shooting and screaming…. And then it was over. The horn had sounded, and it seemed that every player had received fresh paint hits at the instant the game was over. Everyone was shouting and pointing. It was like a moment in hell.

I had just filmed the melee, but I was uncertain who was out and who was not. In this single game, two players had wiped obvious hits, another had refused to stop playing after being eliminated by a referee, and a diversionary tactic had drawn the referees away from the action, just as one of the teams staged a freight train (several players running together, with the lead player taking the hits but continuing to play).

"That’s OK! That’s OK! There’s more happening here than you usually get in an entire day!" Bill Cookston’s reassuring words seemed to diffuse the situation, as everyone slipped back into reality. This had been a hot scenario, orchestrated by instructor Bill Cookston as part of the PTI referee training class… and everyone involved had been caught up in the intensity. Piece by piece, Cookston reconstructed the chain of events, and described how the referees might have maintained better control of the situation. "It always seems simple after things happen, but you really have to keep ahead of the action if you want to stay in control," explained Cookston.

Even the "players" had learned from this experience, as the teams were actually comprised of referees who had collaborated with Cookston in these rabid game scenarios. The entire PTI class of referees had been broken up into squads which alternatively posed as players, or served as referees in some very difficult scenarios. They alternated between referees, and referees’ nightmares. It was hard work, but it was fun.

Splat-One Adventures in the spectacular Smokey Mountains near Knoxville, Tennessee, with owner Randy Baxter, of "Indoor Paintball Championships" fame, hosted these two days of intense referee training about what-to, how-to, when-to, and what it takes in the intense world of tournament paintball. These referees were learning amazing secrets of paintgun velocity manipulation, and deceptive field tactics. After the first day, I remarked to Cookston: "Everyone here is now an expert cheater."

Cookston’s response: "It’s all part of the education, but the major thing, is to really understand the game you are reffing, and to keep ahead of the action. You need to predetermine where the players you are watching are likely to run, and get a head start on them without announcing their intentions. And you need to operate as a team. A good squad of referees is actually the third team on any paintball field."

Thirteen referees, having passed a special PTI classroom session and a written exam the previous day, had qualified for this special tournament simulation under the direction of PTI referee education director Bill Cookston. Cookston is generally recognized as the world’s best tournament referee, and has served as director of referees, or ultimate referee, for almost every major paintball tournament in North America. Contracted by the Paintball Training Institute (PTI), Cookston had developed a unique tournament referee lesson plan, and PTI Director Bob McGuire was videotaping the event for future classes. These referees would form the nucleus of a new international paintball referee association, which will monitor their experience, and post information on the Internet, so that anyone needing referees might easily locate them. The PTI web site will post these certified referees along with all of the other PTI graduates.

Paintball Training Institute was founded by Worr Game Products President Bud Orr and APL President Bob McGuire nearly two years ago, and has certified the training of nearly 400 persons as technicians, safety instructors, and tournament referees. The American Paintball League (APL) insurance program recognizes these PTI certifications, and offers special insurance opportunities for events or locations where PTI graduates are involved.

In addition to the written exam, each referee class participant received a private evaluation and consultation with Cookston, and the grading was realistically harsh. All of the grades will be entered in the PTI data base for each student, and will become part of a permanent record of each referee's personal accomplishments. In theory, there will be a total record of each referee’s professional experience and qualifications.

After attending the one day classroom session and passing the written examination, PTI referees are awarded the C4 certification. The test scores and personal notes from the class instructor are entered into the computer, but it doesn’t stop there. Whenever a referee takes a job, they (or their employer) can download evaluation forms from the PTI web site. These evaluations of the referees in actual tournaments will provide the basis for referee certification levels, which will also be posted on the PTI web site. Evaluations may be authenticated at the discretion of PTI, so that field operators are not able to "pad the reports" in order to favor their friends or employees.

Referee certification levels will be reviewed whenever a significant evaluation form is submitted, good or bad. And a series of negative evaluations might conceivably result in the lowering of a referee’s certification level. For whatever reason… incorrect initial placement, overzealous evaluations, or just plain mistakes… if a referee is misclassified, that referee may at any time be reclassified to a lower certification level by a PTI review board. Normally, however, a referee’s classification level will increase as their job experiences accumulate. Although referee certification levels will be posted on the Internet for all to see, only the individual referees will have access to their personal files and report forms. However, if a referee disputes an evaluation, it will be investigated, and certified referees can at any time authorize PTI to disclose their records to a prospective employer, just as a University provides college transcripts for students.

Who makes the best tournament referee? Just as in any other profession, some folks seem to do better than others at tournament field judging. So then, what types of people make the best referees? I remember in days past, when I was a very active hunter, it seemed at times that the best game wardens may have been former wildlife poachers. They were good, not necessarily because of their conservation ethic, but because they knew every trick in the book. And so it is with paintball referees. There are those who claim that the only good referees are tournament players, past or present. Some current professional tournament players even believe that older past tournament players may be out of touch, as the essence of cheating has become quite sophisticated.

On the other hand, I know some very good teachers, persons earning a daily living teaching at public schools and universities, who offer a compelling argument that a proper education, coupled with normal good job experience, should enable most dedicated people to become competent referees. And that is my belief. In most sports, professional officials start their career with some sort of specialized schooling. Unfortunately, proper education has never before been available for paintball tournament referees.

I have a friend who recently retired as an American League baseball umpire. As one of the very best major league baseball umpires, he had the pleasure of tossing Billy Martin out of many Yankee games over the years, and he was rated tops in a recent World Series. His colorful career came after an early awareness that he would never make the cut as a professional baseball player. His love for the game and his ability as an official enabled him to derive a greater pleasure from baseball than he ever could have imagined. According to this professional, his officiating abilities came from education, hard work, and experience. He was a full time umpire in a big league sport, and he made a very good living at it.

!!!NEED PAINTBALL GEAR FOR CHEAP CLICK THIS!!!

rcxpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 02:43 AM   #2
rcxpaintball

Unfortunately, tournament paintball referees will never make a good full-time living as a referee. That is not to say that they cannot earn decent money and derive great pleasure from their sport. Sports officials rarely have full time jobs as officials. Even NFL football referees are part-timers. A short season coupled with once-a-week games, makes it impossible for even top football referees to make a really good living without doing something else. Reffing does, however, enable a person to be compensated while they are enjoying their sport, and it may be a good alternative for some who might not make the cut on a successful paintball tournament team.

But the best paintball referees do display a degree of athleticism. To make the call, you must keep up with the action. In fact, you must often be ahead of the action. Referee teamwork can effectively pass off some of the coverage, including flag runs, but if there is nobody on a ref squad who can keep up with the action, many calls will not be made properly. I pity the only fast referee on a squad, and tired referees may be less effective.

In the past, there have been several paintball referee sanctioning programs, which attempted to clone as many referees as possible. Unfortunately, it seems that the best referees were rarely associated with these programs, and many of the patch-bearing graduates were poorly qualified as tournament field judges. Instead of proliferating as many referees as possible, the PTI referee certification program is designed to launch and support a limited number of top notch professional Paintball Referees. These referees will be good and they will be responsible. They will be responsible as referees and they may also be responsible as direct representatives of the APL insurance program.

The APL has just announced that it will recognize PTI-C4A certified referees as direct representatives at large tournaments and paintball events. Any referee listed with the appropriate certification on the PTI web site will be empowered to carry a binder of insurance to any paintball event where they are officiating. This means that the APL will, for the first time, insure individual events, even NPPL tournaments, with direct stand-alone coverage, rather than as remote events for existing insured paintball fields.

Paintball is a safe activity, when compared to most other outdoor recreation. However, large paintball events have historically been less safe than small games. It happens when an extraordinary number of players and inexperienced staff are suddenly infused into a big tournament or paintball event situation, where they are just not accustomed to dealing with large groups. In the future, the APL will insure such events only when an authorized certified APL official is present.

What about the rules? Bill Cookston has worked for several years with Jessica Sparks and others in the industry, to develop a single set of "standard tournament rules", and most of the major tournament promoters have already signed off on them. In 1999, one-for-one and several other strongly contested rule parameters were picked up by most of the tournaments. A one-for-one penalty actually means "one plus one," as it entails pulling one extra player from the team of a player who plays on after he should have been eliminated from a game.

At this PTI referee training class, Cookston also presented the year 2000 proposed rules. They are now almost totally resolved into a single set for all major tournaments. However, a good referee should be able to adjust to any set of reasonable rules, and they should also have a clear understanding of what is expected of them before the tournament starts. As with any employment situation, a referee should suggest improvements to the promoter or tournament director, but in the end they are compelled to go with the directives of their employer, unless they observe unsafe practices. There should never be any safety shortcuts. If an employer directs any person to operate an unsafe game, that person should make their opinion known, and should refuse to participate. However, if a referee does not like the tournament organization or rules, but the games are safe, they should work out the day, and then never go back.

Paintball is coming of age. The public awareness of paintball safety requirements is improving, and opportunities for qualified referees are increasing. Graduates of these initial referee classes received monogrammed black and white official referee jerseys, reference manuals, patches, photo ID cards, and special aluminum clipboards. They will also receive regular future updates with new rules and other timely information. But even more importantly, these paintball pioneers have received an education and some critical field experience, that will launch their careers as professional tournament referees.

I have been a player and participant in the game of paintball for 9 years. As both a player and a referee I have observed thousands of situations involving the game. In each and every one-one thing has been paramount-its all about the game. And it is the -finest -of games and-we as participants must respect it.

The purpose of the referee classes and player instructional clinics are to instill in all-the proper way to officiate and respect the game while learning “clean” playing skills.

You can win at this game and play clean-usually those that do not play clean get away with it because of the “tone or culture of the promoter” and because modern methods of refereeing are not used.

Think how much the game has changed in the last few years, however, the officiating has not. The game is now going at 200MPH while the officiating is going at 40MPH. We still referee as if we are in the woods. It is a known fact that the more you referee the better player you will be. When you referee you get to referee and play at the same time.

Regardless of which segment you participate in you will leave the clinic with a “new” view of the game and the mechanics of how it is officiated/played and when and how to “ball to win”-WIN CLEAN.

It is my promise that you will learn the maximum about the game: throw a lot of paint in intense situations that instill the proper methods and the mechanics of winning.

-Bill Bryant

Old 03-20-2005, 02:49 AM   #3
rcxpaintball

So you want to become a referee? The only real way to be a true ref is to attend a referee/judge training program. But fear not for those of you to cheap and/or unable to attend one of these classes I have an alternative for you. Now sit back and learn a bit about the brutal life of being a referee.

***DISCLAIMER***
This thread in no way can be used as a substitute for an actual training program. This thread is meant to educate and give a basic knowledge of the skills and rules needed to be known by a ref. I and anyone who posts in this thread can be held responsible for anyone claiming to have attended a class or course as a reference when in actuality they are pretending to or have only read this or some article online.
***DISCLAIMER***

Now there is a refs code of ethics and refs creed attached below. Both of these explain even further what refs need to do, read and understand them. They will teach you the basics of reffing.

******Before criticizing a referee, let’s consider his/her commitment to being physically fit, attaining knowledge of the game, and applying patience and wisdom. By showing game officials the respect they deserve and making the same commitment to our roles in paintball that they have made, we will all enjoy the sport more.********

Refs are the most important thing players could ask for, they inforce the rules, and keep the game safe. They are responsible for not only insuring you have a fun day of play, but many times they save people from harm or injury or even death. Even if you arent a ref reading this should shed a bit of light on what we have to do to become a referee and put up with on a daily basis.

First of all let me cover what a ref should wear as apparel. Obviously you should have other things but this is the basis, add on as needed.

Ref Shirt/Ref Jersey (White or Yellow)
Pants (Solid Black or black with either white or yellow skid patches)
Gloves (Black with yellow or white detailing as needed)
Mask (Yellow)
2-3 Barrel Plugs
Nut Towel (as needed)
Ref Shield (as needed)

So why should a ref be dressed like this? To stand out and to look professional. You don't want to see a ref in his/her beat around clothing. They should look professional and make their presence be known. Now why do I say either White or Yellow colours for clothing? To stand out, some places have ref shirts instead of jerseys while others have yellow jerseys instead of white, it will vary event to event and field to field.

Now I get many questions on this so I will answer a few short FAQs for you.

Q: "What is a Nut Towel?"

A: Many times you will hear refs talking about a "Nut towel" mostly these are male refs, and the term "Nut Towel" refers to a towel the covers the groin. It usually is any type of towel many times a rag, that is tucked in the waistband and hangs down 1-2+ feet. This towel both protects the region but it also helps cleaning spat or spray off of players.

Q: "A ref shield...that sounds cool why do you use those?"

A: In my opinion a ref shield is a device that should only be used at tournaments and events with a high volume of paint in the air, even then only a few of the refs or judges should carry them. A ref shield is just what it sounds like...a shield used to protect/deflect paintballs flying at the ref. Many times you will see a "Mid ref" or a ref laying down near the 50 with the shield in front of him and his body behind it so any paintballs that are coming at him will hit the shield instead of him.

Q: "Why a yellow mask? Can't I use my personal mask? And why do I see refs with just the goggle part or really small masks?"

A: I say a yellow mask as many do for a simple reason, when your coming around a bunker someones in the usually see the mask...and then begin to shoot. If you have on a yellow mask or a colour that isnt used that much the player will [sometimes] recognize it and not fire. It sucks getting drilled in the mask a point blank when going for a paint check because someone didnt recognize you. You could use your personal mask but the masks see a ton of abuse, I doubt you want your mask to wear out faster then normal. You see refs with just the goggle portion or small masks for a few reasons, You usually see these on not so active refs, ones that arent in the thick of things...usually the ones off on the sidelines. They wear these masks at their own risk, I do NOT recommend wearing these but if you wish to I can't stop you. Why do they wear these? Well less weight on their head. No fogging, less sweat trapped in a mask. Lets face it a ref is in their mask for 90% of the day. That means lots of sweating and no fresh air getting in. A smaller mask helps with this, but you risk taking a shot to the face.

Q: "Why do you say 2-3 barrel plugs?"

A: You end up using them on players that dont have one, or dont have one in when they are in areas that they should have one in at.

Q: "How big of a ref staff should a field have?"

A: You will need staff to referee the games. Fields usually have one referee for every 10-20 players, usually 2-3 refs per field/game.

Q: "What does a ref do? And what is the most important thing they can do?"

A: Not only does the ref inforce the rules but they also start & stop the games, help players with equipment and teach new players tips. The most important job for the referee is to ensure the players keep their goggles on. Also enforcing the rules and making sure people have a barrel bag/plug in are some of the biggest duties refs face.

So lets get down to it, when you are a ref you have to know that you will be abused both physically and mentally. Players will yell at you and criticize you, they will shoot you and act like it was an accident, and guess what....refs arent lazy. They are on their feet all day, they spend most of it running around. If your a ref and their are players at your field (even in the staging area) and you arent doing anything you are missing things that you should be doing. Are players reloading pods? You should be helping them fill the pods, your job is to help so do it! But all thru it you must maintain a good attitude, this brings me to my first point....

Attitude

You need to maintain a good helpful and friendly attitude at all times. No matter what, no exceptions. When training a new ref I let lose on them abusing them and screaming at them till they lose their cool. You should NEVER lose your cool. Be helpful and friendly to EVERY player NO MATTER HOW BADLY THEY TREAT YOU. If you lose your cool chances are you just lost your job. Be helpful, be honest, and be friendly and you will do just fine.

Now time and time again players will criticize your calls and ask you about rules, if you dont know the answer or you dont know the rules...then you dont know your job, this brings me to the next thing.....

Rule Interpretation

You should know the rules to the letter, so if someone calls you out you can defend your call or correct/inform them of the rules. Its a big task to memorize them but once you get it they never change drastically, only small changes occur.

One of the big things ref face are the real A-Hole customers that scream at you when you catch them wiping or you call them out and they think it was spat...this brings me to the next point....

Rule Enforcement

If you see someone cheat dont look the other way even if they are your best friend or family member or even your significant other. Call them out on the fact they are cheating, if you look the other way when someone cheats another person will try it and soon all of the dishonest players will be cheating and all the honest players will be miserable. Now many times when you make a call it will be disputed and people will get in your face about the call, but ALWAYS stick to your call EVEN IF IT WAS WRONG. Why? If you flex once people will keep trying to make you change your calls saying "You changed it for ****". Don't be a pushover. I dont care if its the best or biggest player stick to your call....Even if its Bob Long or Dave Youngblood or even Chris Lasoya...STICK TO YOUR CALL. Stick to your calls and keep inforcing the rules to the best of your ability.

Now as games proceed and go on you will need to go and check player to see if they were hit or if they are just getting lots of spat....next point paint checks

PAINT CHECKS

Just remember if a player requests a paint check GO AND DO IT. The player is your eyes, they will let you know if they got a player out, or if they think they did. Stick to it. Now if a player says: DO A PAINT CHECK ON THE GUY OVER THERE" and gestures in a general direction ask them where the player is they want checked. Don't just run over and start checking everyone in that area. Many players will use a ref to find opponents, ask the player to be specific and check the player that they tell you to. When doing a paint check the point is to check the player while NOT DISRUPTING THE FLOW OF THE GAME. I cannot stress this enough, I have seen countless times where a ref calls the game to a halt while they check a person or they get in the middle of things and disrupt the flow. Granted at times you need to get in the middle of things, but your goal is to allow the game to keep moving at the pace its at, dont slow it down or stop it. Some fields have a neutral rule, where the ref declares a player "Neutral" or not able to shoot or be hit. I dont recommend this it messes with the flow to much. Just run up and do a quick BUT THERO check of the player, tug on his/her gear if needed to check for paint. Just keep the game moving and you will be fine.

Now as you run about like a chicken with its head cut off you will need to know how to watch and move about the field....Next point positioning methods and techniques

Old 03-20-2005, 02:50 AM   #4
rcxpaintball

POSITIONING METHODS AND TECHNIQUES

First things first....The most important thing....DON'T ACT LIKE A HAMSTER ON COCAINE! Don't be overly hyper and jumping all over the field and trying to see everything at once. You have other refs to see things and help, don't be overly hyper and distracting to the players. Next important thing....DON'T GIVE AWAY PLAYERS POSITION. Now when you want to watch a player don't run over and stan right next to them and for the love of god DON'T STARE RIGHT AT THEM. Players watch the refs to see where their opponents are, stand in a spot that you can view the player you are watching but not look directly at them. I like to be able to view 1-3 players at once, now its not always possible but just keep yourself at a distance and not staring directly at them and you will be fine. Now when you want to move out and watch a player in the middle of the field dont stand up. LAY DOWN! Stay low so people behind you or that could be behind you can see, EVEN IF THEIR ISNT SOMEONE BEHIND YOU ASSUME THERE IS! If you want to get up by a player that is a good ways in on the field CRAWL. Dont walk over stay low and let the game stay flowing. Now if you need to do a paint check....GET THERE FAST! Run over and slide in on your knees if needed. Get in and out AS FAST AS POSSIBLE. Now there are several spots refs should be....One in the back one in the middle and one in the other side back....Why? The ref in the back can view players from the 100 to the 70 the on in the middle can view players from the 70-50-30 (at times two refs view this area) and the other ref can watch the 30-100. Moving at a crotch helps when you are on the lines [tape] think of a player with their hands on their knees, they are half of their normal size....You are not always to been seen but your presents is to be felt!

Field layout [ I & + = field of view (general area of the field not exact location)]

100 Ref A
90 I
80 I
70 + I
60 +
50 Ref B
60 +
70 + I
80 I
90 I
100 Ref C

Now I know this has been short but the next things [refs creed and ethics] should inform you on what really is needed. If you have any tips or helpful hints feel free to post them, as with all of my other threads I will update them every so often when I feel like it and/or am not as tired.

Old 03-20-2005, 02:53 AM   #5
rcxpaintball

PTI (Paintball Training Institute) Referees Creed
---------------------------------------------------------------
1) I will make my presence be felt... rather than noticed

2) I will win friends... but won't violate principle

3) I will use my strong points to gain respect

4) I will be pleasant, but firm

5) I will spread confidence... not mistrust

6) I will be calm... under any and all pressure

7) I will my mannerisms... do they excite or soothe?

8) I will be consistent... always

9) I will remember that when I hesitate... I will soon lose control

10) I will assist... not resist fellow officials

11) I will protect my integrity

11) I will know the intent of the rule

12) I will be physically fit... groomed... and neatly dressed

13) I realize the rules are my guidelines for intelligent administration of the game

14) I won't "BLOW" in anticipation... I will be sure

15) I won't neglect flagrant fouls... they will only lead to trouble
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read these and remember them, they will serve you well in your quest to be a good referee. You need to understand them before you can truly become a great referee.

1) You are to make it known you are their, not always be seen by the players. A perfect ref is non-existant till he/she is needed. If players can go thru a game and not notice you are there (while you maintain making calls and paint checks and enforcing rules) then you are doing a great job.

2) You will be helpful and friendly to players and customers. You are to treat each player and customer as if they are a good friend. You NEVER will grant "favors" that violate rules or make put other players at an unfair advantage (AKA CHEATING). You also will NEVER insult or offend a player.

3) You will be helpful and friendly. If you are a good ref each player/customer that leaves the field at the end of the day will remember you as being a nice,kind and helpful individual.

4) You will keep a friendly ,helpful and fair attitude. You WILL STICK TO YOUR CALLS EVEN IF THEY ARE WRONG! If a player persists to being a A-hole to you remind them that you are the ref and your calls are final, if they persist inform them that if they continue to be disrespectful to you you can have them removed from the field (last resort). At all times you are to maintain you cool....You never lose your cool...If you lose your cool you lose your job. Never get into a heated argument with a player...NEVER.

5) You will show you are a knowledgeable and honest player (even if you arent). You should look the part even if you are not that part. At the end of the day players should be saying: "Wow ***** really knows his/her stuff". If you maintain a confident attitude and a relaxed attitude other players will have this attitude, if you are nervous and ansious other players will be this way as well. Be relaxed and confident

6) Even in the most heated arguments and debates you will keep your cool, if you lose your cool you lose your job....see #4 for more.

7) Self explanatory

8) You will not miss calls, you will be on time. You will maintain you rep as a good dependable referee....Stick to your calls and dont miss any or overlook any. If a player asks for a paint check you will do it, no matter what.

9) If a ref needs you to watch a player or do a paint check you will help them. If you turn down a ref in need they will remember that and next time you need help they will not help you. Your all working together, your all on the same team....Remember that you are being judged on not only your interaction with players but with your fellow refs. If you don't cooperate you will be looking for a new job.

10) Self Explanatory....You will never back down on a call.

11) Know the rules and how they work.

12) Self Explanatory. Your look and performance reflects on not only yourself but on the field....your employer. If you look the part and you show confidence you will be perceived as a ref that knows their stuff...Image is everything.

13) Self Explanatory

14) You wont make a call that you think....you will always know. You wont make a call before it happens, only after it happens. Never jump to conclusions you need to be able to make calls fast but you ALWAYS must be sure of them

15) If one person cheats another will....if you let things slip things will go bad. If you dont break up a fight bad things will happen. This is self explanatory. Your job is to inforce the rules....So do it! Stop the cheaters from cheating.

As a ref you will find you are exhausted and abused on a daily basis, but thats all part of the job. Don't expect to make big bucks as a ref. Even tournament refs/judges for major tournaments dont get much...truth be told they are broke. Its a rough gig, but someone must do it.

Old 03-20-2005, 02:55 AM   #6
rcxpaintball

PTI (Paintball Training Institute) Referees Code Of Ethics
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. That I shall always maintain the utmost respect for the game of paintball.

2. That I will conduct myself honorably at all times and maintain the dignity of my position.

3. That I shall always honor a contractual obligation.

4. That I will endeavor to know the "Rules of the Game" and their proper interpretation.

5. That I will always strive to achieve maximum team work with my fellow referees.

6. That I shall be loyal to my fellow referees and linesmen, and never knowingly promote criticism of them.

7. That I shall be in good physical condition so as to be in the right place at the right time.

8. That I will control the players effectively by being courteous and considerate without sacrificing firmness.

9. That I shall do my utmost to assist my fellow officials to better themselves and their work.

10. That I shall not make statements about any game except to clarify an interpretation of the "Rules of the Game".
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Read these and remember them, they will serve you well in your quest to be a good referee. You need to understand them before you can truly become a great referee.

1) What you say and do not only reflects upon yourself and your employer but on the sport itself. Never talk about unsafe or unethical things. Be professional.

2) Self explanatory

3) When you are hired as a ref you will do your duties at all times, never slack off.

4) Self explanatory. Know the rules and know how to inforce them.

5) Self explanatory

6) Don't talk bad about your fellow refs, even behind their back. Your a team so work together...

7) Don't be a slob. As a ref you need to get places fast. You never know when you need to be across the field in a second. You need to be fit to do your job. Its demanding but its all part of the job.

8) Never give in or back down on a call. Be polite and courteous and considerate. Never back down on a call

9) If a fellow ref is doing something wrong, tell them. Don't be disrespectful. Be helpful and try to address each others flaws so you can be the best refs possible.

10) Your not being paid to talk. Your presence is to be felt but not seen or heard unless necessary. At times you should talk with players, but not often. Only in the staging area or help new players, even then you should know what you are saying and give good advise and not say bad things. During tournaments you ARE NOT TO TALK, you are to do your job and not talk with players during games. Be professional.

Old 03-20-2005, 02:57 AM   #7
rcxpaintball

Rules (older)

Now what type of a person would I be if I kept saying: "Know the rules" and not tell you what they were? Well I can't give you a exact up to the date rulebook on what the field/event you might ref at will be....But I can give you an example of what it will look like. This is an outdated rulebook and rember the rules will vary field to field and event to event.

INTRODUCTION AND AMENDMENTS TO THE STANDARD RULE BOOK FOR TOURNAMENT PAINTBALL

INTRODUCTION

This Tournament Rules Book is not an exhaustive reference regarding rules, infractions and penalties. Penalties may be increased, decreased, or declined by the director of judging or an ultimate judge, at his discretion, in particular circumstances.

It is each player’s responsibility to consult with the tournament producer prior to the event regarding definitions and limitations of the rules.

A violation of these specific rules, as well as a violation of the spirit and intent of these rules, is an infraction and considered an elimination except where noted otherwise. The instructions of the judges and staff at any event supercede these rules; a player will not be penalized for following the directions of a WPRC judge or staff member.

STANDARD RULE BOOK FOR TOURNAMENT PAINTBALL

GENERAL GUIDELINES

1. The spirit and intent of these rules and the duty of the enforcing officials is to ensure safe play; to promote fair, unbiased competition; and to sustain the level of organization and good sportsmanship necessary to keep tournament-level paintball a positive activity.

2. The tournament director is the final authority regarding these rules. The director may designate an overall director of judging. The judging staff (“referees” or “marshals”) also may include one or more ultimate judges, head field judges, field judges, chronograph judges, and other designated members of the judging staff.

3. Modifications to these rules may be required by particular situations, including but not limited to insurance requirements, laws, or regulations; in such instances, the tournament producer may modify these rules as necessary. Questions regarding modifications should be directed to the tournament producer or his designated representative before the tournament begins.

1.0 EQUIPMENT & SUPPLIES

1.1 Markers & Power Systems:

A. Markers must meet manufacturer and insurance safety guidelines regarding triggering mechanisms, the trigger guard, and safety devices such as a barrel condom (a squeegee is not a barrel blocking safety device.). Barrel plugs are not a valid safety device in the WPRC as of January 1, 2002.

B. Each player may carry and use only one paintgun and barrel per game.

C. No external velocity adjusting devices, which would allow a player to adjust the velocity of his paintgun without the use of tools or disassembly, are permitted. All velocity-affecting pressure regulators, which can be adjusted without the use of tools or by disassembly, must have locking rings or tournament caps.

D. Only pump or semi-automatic markers are allowed. NO TURBO MODES ALLOWED It is each player’s responsibility to consult with the tournament producer prior to the event regarding definitions and limitations of this rule.

E. Marker Power Sources: All MARKERS must use either CO2 (carbon dioxide) or compressed air/nitrogen as the power source unless the producer specifically approves other sources. All components (fittings, hoses, valves, cylinders, etc.) of the high-pressure system must meet the manufacturer’s safety standards.

F. Only one (1) gas power or high pressure tank may be taken on to the field for each game with the( exception of 12 gram cartridges) and must allow the marker’s velocity to be stabilized at 300 fps or lower.

G. Marker’s must use gravity feed for transferring paintballs from the loading magazine. The paintballs must transfer from the loading magazine to the marker in single file. Warp feeds and air assist are allowed. Only one loading magazine and transfer path may be employed.

H. Marker’s may shoot any number of paintballs, provided that no more than one burst of gas and one paintball (excluding accidental double feeding) is delivered down the barrel as each trigger pull cycle occurs. Marker’s intentionally configured to hold more than one paintball in the breech are prohibited.

I. All markers are subject to staff inspection at any time during the event.

K. The definition of a trigger is a movable lever that comes in contact with the finger. The contacts of a switch will not be considered to be a trigger. The definition of a trigger pull cycle is the exertion of force by the finger on the trigger, and a release of that force from the trigger by the same finger. ALL PAINT MARKERS MUST HAVE AN APPROVED TRIGGER GUARD.

L. A player may enter the game without a marker.

1.2 Goggle Systems:

A. It is mandatory for every person (judges, players and spectators) to wear an approved goggle system when they are directly exposed to fields while games are in progress, or when they are directly exposed to any authorized shooting area while markers are being discharged.

B. Each goggle system must include an approved full facemask and ear protection made specifically for that model of goggle. The goggle system components shall not be altered from their original factory condition. All goggle systems are subject to safety inspection and approval. NO MODIFIED GOGGLES ALLOWED.

C. A player whose goggles are accidentally removed by a fall or other such event will not automatically be eliminated from the game, but they must take the following action immediately:

Drop to the ground facing away from active play, place both hands over the eyes, call a referee. The referee will call the player neutral and assist the player in replacing his goggles. If the referee determines that restoring the player to the game will constitute a safety hazard the referee will eliminate the player immediately. Firing on a player who has lost his goggles is a safety infraction.

D. An active player who deliberately removes his goggles (sufficient to expose the eyes) during a game, other than with the approval and under the direct supervision of a judge will be eliminated from the game.

1.3 Clothing & Gear:

A. Players must wear full-length pants. A player may wear only one layer of clothing underneath his exterior pants and top. The player’s clothing may not resemble or be of a similar color to that of the judges, and it may not be of a color/pattern similar to that of the flag(s), armbands or paint fill being used at the event. A player may not wear or carry any multi-colored or patterned clothing and equipment that makes distinguishing a paint mark difficult for the judges. Short sleeve shirts are allowed.

B. Knee, shin, and elbow pads offering joint protection may be worn on the inside of the player’s clothing but is subject to opposing captain’s challenge and referee’s inspection and approval. Harnesses, vests, pouches or similar gear must be worn on the outside of all clothing. Tops must be tucked into the pants.

C. Clothing must be sized to fit the player. A player may not wear oversized, draping and/or excessively baggy clothing. Clothing may not be made of overly absorbent cloth or highly padded cloth, or of water repellant cloth/material that allows a paint mark to be wiped away quickly and cleanly. Ghillie-type material, which makes paint marks difficult to locate and identify quickly, may not be worn or attached to the player’s equipment or goggles.

D. Prohibited Devices. Players shall not use and/or carry onto the playing field: artificial sounding devices (e.g., whistles, clickers, horns); shielding devices; artificial light sources; heat generators (e.g., matches, lighters, heat packs); weapons, flares, paint grenades, paint mines, or any form of pyrotechnic devices; tools and spare parts capable of affecting a paintgun’s velocity; silencers or sound suppressers; slingshots, blowguns or any device capable of propelling a paintball other than the single approved paintgun per player; radios and similar communication, signaling or listening devices; or items that might be mistaken for a flag.

E. Players may not wear metal cleats.

F. Hopper covers are NOT allowed. Tank covers are allowed.

G. Paintballs: A player may only use paintballs that remain in fresh, unaltered, untreated factory condition as per the manufacturer’s specifications. No “blood-red” colored fill is allowed.

2.0 SITE & FIELD SET UP

2.1 There shall be only one flag station for single flag (“center flag”) games.

2.2 Field boundaries and start stations must be clearly marked 3-4 feet above ground,

3.0 ELIGIBILITY

3.1 Rosters: Players may not be listed on more than one team roster per event, and a player may not change teams during an event. However, a team having suffered a loss of members that reduces their roster to less than 5 players may petition the Ultimate Judge for permission to recruit a player to complete the roster.

Old 03-20-2005, 03:05 AM   #8
rcxpaintball

Rules part 2

4.0 CHRONOGRAPHING & CHRONOGRAPH PENALTIES

4.1 Maximum Paintball Velocity: The maximum allowable velocity for any event is 300 feet per second (fps). Event rules may reduce the velocity limit.

4.2 All markers are subject to a chronograph check before, during and after a game.

4.3. Pre-game Chrono Check: Before each game every player must report to the field’s designated chronograph or at the referee;’ directions. An equal number of players from each team will be chronographed. The velocity check shall consist of three (3) consecutive shots over the chronograph. A set of three (3) shots must be taken with each power source/cylinder a player takes onto the game field. No single shot may exceed the event limit. Any paintgun shooting over the event limit shall not be allowed in the game. Players may attempt to re-qualify paintguns, providing games are not delayed. A player may go into a game without a paintgun.

4.4 Between chronographing on before a game and chronographing off after a game, without the express permission and supervision of a judge, a player commits an infraction if he adjusts, disassembles or otherwise alters or tampers with the velocity regulating components of his marker, PLAYERS MAY NOT DE-GASS THEIR MARKER. If the player is active, the judge will eliminate him.

4.5 An eliminated player after the game ends, commits an infraction if he discharges his paintgun, bleeds off gas, removes the cylinder, or turns off the valve before completing the post-game chrono check; the judge will assess a POINTS PENALTY of -25 (25 points are subtracted from the team’s score).

4.6 During a game, a player must allow a judge to chronograph his marker upon request. The judge will call the player neutral, and the player must cease all play-related actions and follow the judge’s instructions. If the player refuses to follow the judge’s chrono check directions, the judge will eliminate him; in addition, the judge will assess a POINTS PENALTY of -50 points are subtracted from the team’s total. The game check shall consist of one (1) shot over the chronograph without any clearing shots. This shot may not exceed the event limit. If this shot exceeds the event limit, the judge will eliminate the offending player. The player must submit to a post-game chronograph check where a further Points Penalty may be assessed according to post-game chrono check rules.

4.7 Post-game Chrono Check: Every player must report to the field’s designated chronograph immediately after the game ends. After each game an equal number of players per team will be chronographed. The velocity check shall consist of one (1) clearing shot immediately followed by one (1) shot over the chronograph. If the single chronograph shot exceeds the event limit, two (2) additional chrono shots are required; those three chrono shots will be totaled and the judge will assess a POINTS PENALTY of -1 point for each fps over the event speed limit, (900) (1 point for each fps will be subtracted from the team’s total score, up to a maximum of 50 penalty points per player per game).

Old 03-20-2005, 03:06 AM   #9
rcxpaintball

Rules part 3

5.0 ELIMINATIONS & MARKINGS

The One plus One Rule (also known as the 1 + 1 rule) is in effect in the WPRC. This rule will be used when a team has gained an unfair advantage by continuing deliberate aggressive play after receiving an obvious hit. If the action is grossly unfair it can result in more than one player being eliminated to RIGHT THE GAME. In addition, unsportsmanlike conduct penalties may also be assessed against the offending team.

Eliminated players must place their hand on their head while exiting the field. This is the only official WPRC signal for being eliminated .

Players who mark or fire on an eliminated opponent exiting the field, without their hand on their head, will not be penalized or called out unless a referee deems the act malicious.

5.1 A player is eliminated from the game when he is ordered off the field or eliminated by a judge, or when a player signifies (via hand signal or verbally) his elimination whether marked or not.

5.2 Out of bounds: A player whose body or equipment accidentally or deliberately extends beyond the vertical plane of the boundary can be eliminated by the referee, the referee can issue a boundary warning if the offending movement is not influential to the outcome of the game or a move.

5.3 A player who deliberately shoots at another player across a boundary or from out of bounds commits an infraction. When witnessed by a judge, a player marked by a paintball from across a boundary will be returned to active status.

5.4 A player who climbs on a tree, a bunker, a structure or a prop will be eliminated.

5.5 A player who deliberately alters terrain or structures, or tampers with a bunker so as to change the shape of a bunker, will be eliminated.

5.6 A player who deliberately uses a non-participant or a movable object as a shield will be eliminated.

5.7 Each player must maintain possession of any equipment or clothing (including his armband) that he carried onto the field except for the following disposable items: paint pods/loading tubes, and spent 12-gram cartridges. Intentionally discarding equipment is will result in elimination.

Unintentionally losing possession of non-disposable equipment for more than five seconds will result in elimination. Any equipment more than 3 feet away from the player is considered discarded equipment.

If a player recovers an item discarded un-intentionally, and the item is marked then the player is eliminated.

A player is eliminated from the game when he is marked anywhere on his body, clothing or equipment with a quarter-sized or larger splat caused by a direct hit from a single paintball.

However, if a referee witnesses a direct hit on a player and the ball breaks and leaves a mark smaller than a quarter - the player is eliminated.

The size of the paint mark is cumulative. If two splat marks (e.g., one on the loader and one on the goggle) are from the same paintball break and are larger than a quarter when combined, then the player is eliminated.

5.8 A player is eliminated from the game when he is marked anywhere on his body, clothing or equipment with a quarter-sized or larger splat caused by an indirect (when a paintball breaks against a secondary object and splatters/sprays the player) hit from a single paintball, except when the indirect splatter was witnessed by a judge.

5.9 If two or more players are marked simultaneously, both shall be eliminated. A judge will decide which player(s) is eliminated when the players involved do not agree on the order in which they were marked.

5.10 It is the player’s responsibility to notify a judge and receive the judge’s acknowledgment when he is marked other than by a shot (e.g., by kneeling on a paintball, from cleaning his marker, from leaning against a paint-stained object, etc.). If the judge determines the mark was not from a hit, the judge will wipe off the mark.

5.11 It is each player’s responsibility to check himself and call himself out when he has been marked from an obvious hit. An “obvious” hit is a direct impact that leaves a quarter-sized or larger splat and that, in the judge’s determination, the player should physically sense.

THE PLAYER IS THE FIRST REFEREE.

5.12 When a player receives an “obvious” hit that the player can visually verify, he must signify his elimination immediately. A player may seek reasonable cover in the immediate area if he is unable to visually verify an obvious hit and if remaining in his current position while waiting to be paintchecked will leave the player exposed.

5.13 Blatantly shooting a player after he has signified his elimination is an infraction. Unsportsmanlike conduct (-25/-50 points)

5.14 A player who fails to continuously call for a paint check after an obvious hit which the player cannot visually verify commits an infraction and is “Playing On”.

5.15 A player who receives an obvious hit and continues aggressive

play (shooting, advancing, communicating with teammates, handing

off supplies, etc.) is playing on, a 1 + 1 penalty or more will be assessed.

5.16 A “questionable” hit is a mark that, in the determination of a judge, the player probably did not physically sense. A player who receives a questionable hit will be eliminated from the game but has not committed an infraction. If, however, a judge determines that the player became aware of a questionable hit and then continued to play, the player has committed an infraction by continuing aggressive play after an obvious hit and will be penalized; 1 + 1 or greater.

5.17 A player who has been eliminated and/or signals himself eliminated, and who then shoots at an opponent from on or off the field, is playing on and will be penalized. 1 + 1 or greater plus unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

5.19 A player who deliberately attempts to hide, remove, or conceal a paint mark commits an infraction. A 1 + 1 or greater penalty will be assessed in addition to an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and at the Ultimate Judge’s discretion, disqualification from the tournament.

6.0 PROCEDURES FOR ELIMINATED PLAYERS

6.1 An eliminated player is allowed to verbally signify his elimination once only, simultaneously with his visual elimination signal. Example: “I’m Hit” or “I’m Out”.

6.2 A player must immediately signify his elimination by placing a hand atop his head and exiting the field. A player shall allow a judge to take his armband off, but if a judge is not available to do so, the player shall remove his own armband and give it to a referee or remove the armband and drop it in front of the elimination box.

6.3 An eliminated player must exit the field as quickly and directly as possible, following the directions of the judges. A player should install a barrel blocking device into his marker’s barrel as soon as possible after elimination. An eliminated player commits an infraction if he fails to proceed promptly and directly to the field’s elimination box. An unsportsmalike conduct penalty or a 1 + 1 or both can apply.

6.4 An eliminated player who communicates, verbally or visually with his

teammates, is playing after eliminated. A 1 + 1 penalty will apply in addition unsportsmanlike conduct penalties can be added at the referee’s discretion.

6.5 An eliminated player who discards or passes off equipment or supplies is playing on. 1 + 1 or more will apply.

6.6 A player who fails to call for a paintcheck and waits until after the game ends to signify his elimination, but attempts to report as “live” (active) after a game, commits an infraction. The offending player shall be counted as an elimination. Additionally, the judge will assess an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. An obvious hit shall result in a -50 point penalty and a unobvious hit shall result in a -25 points penalty.

Old 03-20-2005, 03:07 AM   #10
rcxpaintball

Rules part 4

7.0 PAINTCHECKS

7.1 Paintchecks may be requested by any active player any time during a game, but judges are not required to respond to superfluous and/or distracting requests. Nor will judges answer questions regarding game situations (e.g., time remaining, location of flags, disposition of active players, etc.). The time clock is not stopped for paintchecks.

7.2 Judges may visually check a player without performing a “neutral” paintcheck (without “calling him neutral”). During these non-neutral paintchecks, play continues across the field without restrictions to shooting and movement.

7.3 Neutral Paintchecks: A judge will perform a “neutral” paintcheck if, in the performance of the check, he will expose the player to hits or interfere with normal game activity. A player becomes neutral only when a judge gets close enough to touch the player, tells the player he is neutral, and signals the player’s neutrality to the rest of the field. A player who calls for a paintcheck on himself remains in play unless and until a judge performs a “neutral” paintcheck on him.

7.4 When a judge performs a “neutral” paintcheck, he must signal the player’s neutrality to the rest of the field by 1) waving a neutral flag high above the player’s head or 2) raising one arm/hand high above the player’s head.

7.5 A judge may signal a player “eliminated” by outstretching one arm/hand to point at the player and putting his other hand on his head. A judge may signal a player “clean” by outstretching one arm out to each side.

7.6 An active player shall not shoot or advance directly toward a neutral player, and shall not enter a 25-foot (25') radius around the neutral player.

7.7 A neutral player becomes active when the judge tells him he is clean/may resume play, and signals to the rest of the field that the player is now active.

7.8 Judges, not the player, will wipe off indirect spatter and wrongful hits, such as when players are hit after being called neutral.

7.9 A player who attempts to remove paint splatter and/or spray off his clothing or equipment is subject to a penalty. However, the exception is a player’s goggle lens; a player may wipe off his lens only after receiving direct permission from a judge.

8.0 SPECTATORS

8.1 Unless spectator coaching/cheering is allowed by the event producer, spectators shall not point at nor communicate with active players, nor shall they distract judges and/or interfere with the game.

8.2 Spectators must follow the directions of the judges. Non-playing spectators must have in their possession some type of picture ID, and they must show it to a judge upon request.

9.0 FLAGS & FLAG CARRIERS

9.1 A flag is designated as “pulled” when it is removed from its station and held in the possession of an active player.

9.2 A player shall not be eliminated for taking possession of a flag with quarter-sized or larger paint marks on it. A quarter-sized or larger hit to the flag while it is in a player’s possession must be witnessed by a judge to be deemed an elimination of the flag carrier.

9.3 A flag carrier must hold the flag in the hand and must keep the flag visible at all times. The flag may be handed off between active players.

9.4 If a flag is abandoned for more than five (5) seconds or three feet, a judge shall eliminate the player and place the flag at the elimination point.

9.5 Any active player may pick up a dropped or discarded flag.

9.6 A flag “hang” is awarded when an active player touches the suspension point or breaks the plane of his opponent’s starting station

9.7 A flag carrier automatically becomes neutral when he breaks the plane of the station or touches the suspension point. A judge will check him for paint marks. If the flag carrier is clean, the game ends. Should game time expire during the check of the flag carrier, the flag hang will be awarded if the carrier is clean. If the flag carrier was marked prior to breaking the plane or touching the suspension point and game time did not expire during the check, the judge will eliminate the player and back the flag out of the station to the point of elimination of the flag carrier. If the judge doesn’t know where the flag carrier was eliminated, he will back the flag out of the station approximately 25 feet (in the direction from which the flag carrier came). While the flag is being repositioned, it is neutral and the game clock continues. The flag becomes active once repositioned and at the referee’s signal.

9.8 If a flag carrier is eliminated he shall immediately place his hand atop his head signaling his elimination. The eliminated flag carrier must then place the flag on the ground in plain view or release it to a referee. He then should leave the field by the shortest possible route/or under instructions of the referee.

10.0 GAME START AND END

10.1 Start of Game. The countdown and “game-on” signals will be issued to both teams simultaneously. No more than the prescribed number of players may be on the playing field when the game-on signal is given or at any time during the game. A team may start the game with fewer than the prescribed number of players. Games will not be delayed for late players or for equipment malfunctions. A referee will eliminate any player who is not within his team’s starting area when the game-on signal is given or who leaves the starting area before the “game-on” signal.

The game shall be started by a 30 second warning, followed by a 10 second warning, and then a GO-GO-GO.

The start shall be a blind start with players turned fully facing the rear of their starting station.

10.2 The head judge or designate will give the game-end signal when a flag is hung, the time period for the game expires, or the last player on a team is eliminated via a penalty. All shooting must cease at the game end signal, and players on the field should install barrel blocking devices.

10.3 A player who falsely signals the end of a game commits an infraction.

10.4 The head judge of a field may “freeze” the field, signaling all play to stop, because of an emergency, injury, safety hazard or other serious game problem. The judges will instruct the players as to the actions required. The head judge will resume play with a 10-second countdown after notifying the field how much time remains in the game/ or a game may be started over.

11.0 UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT

11.1 A person may not argue with a judge, hinder/interfere with a judge’s performance, and/or disregard a judge’s warning during a game. 1 + 1 and/or Unsportsmanlike conduct penalties may apply.

11.2 A person may not engage in loud arguing, cursing or insulting name-calling regardless of where or to whom it is directed (toward a judge, player, spectator, self, etc.). Unsportsmanlike conduct penalty-25/-50 points.

11.3 Engaging in confrontational arguing or severe, abusive cursing or name-calling, and/or threatening physical harm to another person, is an infraction. If the offending player is active, the judge will eliminate him; if the offending player has been eliminated the judge also will assess an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Threatening physical harm can result in disqualification from the tournament.

11.4 Making belligerent physical contact with another person by deliberate bumping, pushing, shoving, use of an object, etc., is an infraction. When this occurs, the judge will END THE GAME and the offending player’s team shall forfeit the game. Additionally, the judge will assess a POINTS PENALTY of -100 (100 points are subtracted from the team’s score). If a player from each team commits this infraction, both teams shall forfeit and the POINTS PENALTY of -100 shall be deducted from each team’s score. Players committing this offense will be banned from all future events.

11.5 Unsportsmanlike penalties are assessed according to severity and circumstances. 1 + 1 eliminations may be assessed in conjunction with unsportsmanlike penalties. The Head Judge shall determine the severity of an infraction and assess an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty of 25 points for minor infractions and 50 or more for major infractions.

The Ultimate Judge shall have the authority to increase, decrease, award a flag hang,, assess unsportsmanlike conduct penalties or replay a game as determined by what is "fair for the game" as determined by the circumstances.

11.6 Failure to abide by the safety rules of the tournament can result in either an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty assessment of -25 or -50 points penalty at the referee’s discretion. Example:

· Failure to install barrel blocking device.

· Failure to wear goggles in goggles on area.

· Intentionally throwing a marker anywhere on the property.

Old 03-20-2005, 03:09 AM   #11
rcxpaintball

Rules part 5 (finished)

__________________________________________________ _________________
12 SCOREING *****REMOVED******
__________________________________________________ _________________

13.0 PENALTIES

13.1 This Tournament Rules Book is not an exhaustive reference regarding rules, infractions and penalties. Penalties may be increased, decreased, or declined by the director of judging or an ultimate judge, at his discretion, in particular circumstances.

13.2 It is each player’s responsibility to consult with the tournament producer prior to the event regarding definitions and limitations of the rules.

13.3 A violation of these specific rules, as well as a violation the spirit and intent of these rules, can result in penalties.

13.4 Each player must immediately submit his equipment, his paint, and himself for an inspection whenever requested by a judge.

13.5 Players must follow all of the directions of the judges. Since the instructions of the judges supercedes these rules, a player shall not be penalized for following the directions of a judge.

13.6 Appeals. All decisions by the judges are final. Questions or appeals may be addressed by the team captain(s) to the head judge of the field immediately after the players have chronographed off after the game. The team captain(s) may advance appeals to the Ultimate Judge.

13.7 Successive or continuing infractions are grounds for successive penalties. Example: the offending player is an active player and commits the infraction of arguing with a judge; the judge eliminates him from the game. He continues to argue with a judge; the judge eliminates an active player from his team. If he continues to argue, the judge eliminates another active player from his team.

13.8 Certain infractions result in Penalty Points. Successive or continuing infractions are grounds for successive penalties.

13.9 When a “+1" or a “+2" penalty eliminates the last player from a team, the other team will be awarded the flag hang automatically. First pull also will be awarded if one has not occurred earlier in the game.

14.0 SUSPENSIONS & EXPULSIONS

14.1 The producer or his designated representative is the only person authorized to penalize a player with probation, suspension, and/or expelling a person from a tournament.

14.2 A person expelled or suspended from a tournament must leave the premises and not return.

14.3 Where ID cards are required by the tournament producer, a person who refuses to show his ID card to a judge will be expelled from the tournament. If his teammates refuse to identify the player, every person on the team’s roster will be expelled from the tournament.

15.0 SAFETY

All players, teams and spectators must abide by the safety rules established at every tournament. Failure to do so is an infraction and subject to a penalty of -25 points for minor safety offences and -50 points for major offences.

16.0 TIEBREAKERS

1. Head to Head Game

if the teams played a game against one another in the current round, the team that won that game is ranked higher

2. Penalties

the team with the fewest penalty points from the current and all previous rounds is ranked higher

3. Least Points Given Up

the team with the fewest points given to opponents in the current round is ranked higher

4. Fewest Players Lost

the team that lost the fewest players in the current round is ranked higher

5. Most Flag Hangs

the team with the most flag hangs in the current round wins

6. Most First Flag Pulls

the team with the most first flag pulls in the current round wins

7. Previous Round Score

the team with the most points from the previous round (if there was one) is ranked higher

8. Next Previous Round Score

if the teams did not play head-to-head and they tied in the previous round, then the team with the highest score from the next previous round is ranked higher

Old 03-20-2005, 07:57 AM   #12
Homer

Very Informative Post RCX (as usual).

I'll add a few tips/tricks I've learned from reffing. And a few suggestions. (This is all Tournament Related. Sorry Rec guys, no insult intended. I just don;t have the experience there to add anything).

First of all. Go out and Ref. Everyone complains about reffing, but I bet less than 10% of all T. Players have actually reffed. Your giving back to the Sport and to your fellow players by "doing your time". i ref once per week at a local field. Gives you a chance to "give back" to the Sport, and to meet and help your fellow Paintballers. Plus it does give you a chance to see tha game differently from when your playing it.

Ref harder than you play. I come home after a night of reffing more tired, bruised, and exhausted than even after our hardest drill days. If you do your job right you probably will as well.

Be in front of the action. You can't see much from the rear and the same goes with the side. You have to be in front of the action to see what's going on. Anticipate moves. Watch for cheating. And do your job right.

Don't get distracted. A common practice is for players to call for bogus Paintchecks to distract you. Sometimes even shoot you to distract you. Ref your area your assigned to. Collapse as the game progresses so your "in the middle of the action". And don;t allow yourself to fall for players distractions. Calling for bogus paintchecks, shooting, or otherwise impeding a ref IS against the rules. 11.1 to be specific. And can and should be enforced with penalizing players when needed.

Communicate across field. We use handsignals for the refs to communicate because your never gonna hear across fields. Say I see a guy take a hopper hit going into his bunker across field. You have to make certain you have ways of communicating this to your other refs. Radios are nice. But they break, you can't always hear them, and you need a back up plan. So come up with handsignals or something similar.

Don't get tired. The end of the day is when it matters most. But by this time your tired, thirsty, bruised and battered. Just like the players, the morning is only a small step to get to the semi's/finals. This is when the teams hav to bring their best games. And the reffing has to bring their "A Games" as wel. Also a lot more is on the lne and a lot of "shennanigans" are pulled later in the day. So find that extra energy and give it all you got.

Dont; let arguing go on in the field. If you let players stand there and yell, it's only going to escalate. Get them off the field and into the deadbox. Then after the game get them off the field. Allowing playuers to remain on the field can lead to physical violence. It is a LOT less likely to occur of the field. And for disagreements. The Captains and the head ref ONLY speak. If the Head ref wants to bring a ref in to concur he can. But NO other players should be in the area. If they won't leave start pulling players for the next game. It works.

Be courteous. The players are the customers and you are the "store". They're paying money to "shop" and should get your utmost attention and should leave happy. Now in this case the Customer IS NOT always right. And you'll have to be firm. But be nice.

Remember. If 20 Teams enter a Tournament. 1 Team is going to win the event 1 Team is going to like the reffing. 19 are gonna Hate it. It's a fact of life. Don;t take it personal. It's Human Nature to blame someone other than yourself for losing.

Bring spare towels, masks, water, and food. Thy should be provided, but stuff happens. Just like when playing an event, all your stuff will break. The same thing happens when reffing. Murphy's Law rules Supreme in Paintball.

And next time playing if you see refs doing a good job. Tell them. Once again they're human and are doing a job that not many people have the guts to do. Or the desire to do.

PROUDLY sponsored by: Paintballwizard.com, National Paintball Supply, DYE, and Draxxus Paint

THANK YOU Boston Red Sox!

Wearing Spandex is a privelege, NOT a right.
Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 01:28 PM   #13
.:{}:.
AGGent

Send a message via AIM to .:{}:.
wow, excelllent job guys. i vote sticky.

HK Streetball F/S/T
.:{}:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 05:23 PM   #14
beaverbuddy
want's a trix

Send a message via AIM to beaverbuddy Send a message via Yahoo to beaverbuddy
Wow, to both of you guys, thanks a lot. I was going to try and get a job as a ref. at the field that they're building near my house, and with the knowledge I got from reading this, it looks like I might have a good chance.

Quote:
Originally posted by bobcool
i c u i an't that stupd
beaverbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 05:40 PM   #15
Homer

Thanks. But give the credit to rcxpaintball. He did all the work and research. me I rambled like old players tend to do.

PROUDLY sponsored by: Paintballwizard.com, National Paintball Supply, DYE, and Draxxus Paint

THANK YOU Boston Red Sox!

Wearing Spandex is a privelege, NOT a right.
Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:05 PM   #16
senghing27
My Spoon is Too Big

Send a message via AIM to senghing27
Bravo, another great job!!!
CCI:OT
senghing27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 05:20 PM   #17
kvgr22

Question ref

do they make any money, or they just there for the love of the game???
kvgr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 04:57 AM   #18
rcxpaintball

Re: ref

Quote:
Originally posted by kvgr22
do they make any money, or they just there for the love of the game???
Big tournament refs get paid but not much. A few of my friends have ref'd at NPPL events and they needed to provied a hotel room, airplane ticket, food, transportation..ect. and even then they didnt get paid that much.

Most of the time refs are doing it for the love or the sport. Not many in big tournaments but at fields and at smaller tourny they usually are making minimum wage and/or discounts/free stuff.

Mostly overall with all the crap refs put up with we ultimatly do it for the love of the game.

Old 06-17-2005, 04:51 AM   #19
predator23
Accuracy by volume!!!!

95% of tourney refs are doing it for the love of the game. I have reffed MANY tourneys and thousands of rec games and I do it because I love the sport, I love people and I love the outdoors (getting to play for a discount doesn't hurt either).

Very simply, what guy would willingly walk around on a field with 10 guys carrying 20bps weapons and 1000+ rounds each? I've gotten stitched so many times I've lost count, and after reffing a tourney for the next 2-3 days all you hear in your head are the bap bap bap bap bap of balls being fired or hitting bunkers. I see how combat vets have flashbacks and can't get the stuff out of their head, cause it sometimes takes me a week to get rid of the flashbacks from reffing 55 tourney games in a day and hearing probably 200,000 shots in a day.

It doesn't take a lot to be a good ref. You just need brains, agility and a love of and understanding of the game. Oh, and a willingness to stand in 2 feet away from a guy who has the entire team laying ropes on him. Once you learn how to position yourself on the field, it's very simple.

Once you've reffed a few tournies you'll have experienced the majority of situations that cause arguments. Double shots (I shot him before he got me!!), shot at the flag pull (I got first pull before they got me!!), cheating (that's from the bunker, I swear!!!) and overall abusiveness (you don't know what the F*CK you're talking about!!).

Reffing can be very trying sometimes, especially with belligerent ignorant players, but the satisfactions overwhelm that. The ability to give guys a fair safe and well reffed game is great, because everyone knows that when they play they want a great ref on their field who isn't afraid of getting hit or making a tough call.
predator23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 05:53 PM   #20
kidw/skill

Well actualy reffing is just done for the love of the sport or just because of fun. But now to ref a national tourney like psp and any of them you have to learn how in a certifyed reffing clinic. if you want to know how do this go to pspevents.com and go to reffing section. But any ways if yuo ref you also get money and if your team refs yuo get a 100 pts towards the year. so....
kidw/skill is offline   Reply With Quote