pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Specific Marker Forums > Smart Parts > Ion / Epiphany / EOS / Vibe

Old 03-23-2005, 06:01 PM   #1
Everlight389

Smart Parts Ion FAQ

Ion FAQ redone

Please add to this... if there's something that needs changed, let me know and I will fix it.

Post any questions!

First, the facts

Ion is:

Low pressure (120-200 psi)
Capped at 17 balls per second with the stock board
2.2 pounds
Averages 1200-1400 shots off a 68ci 4500psi tank
Has semi, rebound (ramping, aka 5 pulls = 10 shots, ect), 3 shot burst, and automatic modes
Fully electropneumatic (no springs, all solenoid controlled)

Is not:

Spool valve (it's more of a blowforward type, 2-way solenoid, no springs)
Plastic (the shell is, but the internals are made of powder-coated aluminum)

Now the real meat

1. Can the Ion run on co2? How about HPA? Which is better?

Yes, it can. Make sure that you use an anti-siphon tube and an on/off valve. Such as this tank HPA is the preferred air source. It needs to have a high pressure output of 800-850 psi to avoid shootdown. Ions run at a low pressure, but their regulator is what takes the pressure down. If you have the money, definitely choose HPA. It is cleaner and more consistent than co2.

2. Can the Ion shoot faster than 17 bps?

Stock it is capped by the board. The internals are in no way capped at 17. Ydna has proven that it can shoot 21-22 with stock internals and an uncapped board. With a QEV (Quick Exhaust Valve) it can shoot close to 28.

3. What regulators can the Ion accept?

The asa is not "reverse threaded", it can accept any standard threaded regulators (AKA Sidewinder, Bob Long Torpedo, and CP Grip reg for example). Reverse threading only means that the screw using to adjust the pressure is reversed, not the actual threads itself.

4. Does the Ion really have drop off over long strings?

With the thin mesh screen I got some drop off, but without it on I had none. Only take off the screen if you are using HPA, do not remove it if you are using co2.

5. How does the Planet Eclipse QEV effect the Ion's performance?

It allows the air to escape at the point of the fitting instead of the air having to go back to the solenoid to be released. It also keeps excess grease out of the solenoid, as well as decreasing your operating pressure and reducing your dwell to 12 blinks.

It also allows it to cycle alot faster than it previously could. Most likely it could shoot up to 28 balls per second with a QEV and uncapped board.

If you do decide to get a QEV, use teflon tape to set it in place. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT torque it into place. You can easily get it stuck that way and break the internal threads on the QEV and possibly on the Ion body itself. So be VERY careful. Also, only put it on the front barb on the body, as putting it on the back causes performance decrease.

Ion with QEV video

f2f4 dryfiring my Ion

Thanks loki1232 for hosting the videos

Here's a thread off PBN that illustrates how to cut for the QEV located here

You can get the Planet Eclipse QEV off Pbgear

The QEV FAQ

6. What is dwell?

Dwell is normally the amount of time in milliseconds (1/1000th) that the solenoid cycles the air through at. The Ion's dwell is adjusted in 1/2ms increments, starting at 3. So your dwell can be found by:

3 + 1/2 x Number on blinks

7. Should I get a High Pressure or a Low Pressure HPA tank?

Low pressure is safer for the gun, but make sure it has the recharge rate to keep up with the gun. For example, the Ion would do well with a Low Pressure Crossfire tank. High pressure can be used equally as well, but if your regulator fails you are possibly putting 850 psi into your solenoid/internals, which isn't good. The chances or a regulator doing that are incredibly low, so you should get a High Pressure tank to make sure that your Ion stays fed and you can use it on other markers.

If your just interested in getting a tank that works, a Crossfire or Centerflag high pressure would do just fine.

8. How many shots will I get off with a 72/3000 tank?

Well, the general rule of thumb is that you get about 10 shots per cubic inch at 3000 psi. So, you would get about 720 shots. The Ion is more efficient than this though, as it gets 1200-1400 shots off a 68 ci 4500 psi tank, so most likely it will get around 800 shots from a 72/3000 tank.

9. How do I adjust the trigger length?

Remove the grips and there should be a small hole under the trigger guard on the gripframe. Put a 1/8 inch allen wrench in that hole and tighten to reduce the length, and loosen the increase length. A new magnet can also be inserted into the trigger, but I'd suggest a New Designz roller trigger, as it will save you the time and hassle of messing with the trigger, as well as being nicer in nearly every way.

10. What exactly is the Ion's "shell"

It is a polymer shell that protects the body, and that's it.

Deadlywind has a full metal shell out, Fireball mountain has their shell out ($110), and Detroit Strange also has a shell out ($150 w/ feedneck)

11. How do you change the Ion's modes?

Remove the grips and there is a small switch on the bottom of the board. Press the switch to cycle through the settings, press the power button to change the value of a setting 1.

Dwell up = Solid Yellow (Stock 46-48 blinks, with QEV 12)
Dwell down = Solid Red
Rate of fire down = Single blink yellow (max 17)
Rate of fire up = Single blink red
Fire mode up = Double blink yellow
Fire mode down = Double blink red

Fire modes are: 1. (lowest setting) Semi auto, 2. Rebound (ramping), 3. 3 round burst, 4. Full auto (10bps)

Pull the trigger to save settings.

Ion Pimp's Walkthru to setting the board

12. What threaded barrels does it take? What about feednecks?

Impulse, impulse.

13. Where can I get the Predator board for the Ion?

http://www.zdspb.com/

Ydna is the store owner, and is a pretty cool guy.

Wicked Air Sportz (WAS) may be coming out with a board as well, but so far no information has been released. www.advantagepb.com is also making their virtue software for it, and Damon from www.scenariodreams.com is making his T-board for it.

14. How do I adjust the velocity?

Velocity in the Ion is directly linked to the input pressure. Thus, take a crescent wrench and adjust the regulator via the screw on the bottom. Higher psi input = higher FPS... and vice versa.

15. How do I turn it on?

First, make sure the battery is in the gun. Then press the red membrane to turn the gun on.

Press it once for on w/ eyes on (blink once per cycle, or if there's paint it will blink quickly)

Press it again for eyes off (blink twice per cycle)

Press and hold it for 2 seconds until it goes solid red, then let go to turn it off

16. What should I lube the bolt with?

Use only Dow33 corning lube (aka Shocker Grease).

17. Why is the Ion so cheap?

Well, a variety of reasons. First, the whole marker itself is a incredibly simple design (and a great one at that) that is fairly easy to make. Second, there is no milling on the gun, only powder-coating, so that cuts the time to make it. Third, the solenoid is a new design that is also easier to produce because it is built onto the board, so it's all one piece (which is a good thing). Marketing also has some to do with it...

Those are the three real cost cutters, and overall it is a great marker for the price.

18. How does the Ion work?

Diagram provided by Ydna and Twiek

19. Is it safe do dry-fire the Ion?

Yes, it does not hurt the Ion to fire it without paint.

20. How fragile is the Ion?

It seems pretty tough, and does not break down easily. Only problem is that the solenoid coil does not have a covering, so dirt could short it out. Make sure to keep that part very, very clean.

21. What is the Ion body made out of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiek

the chamber, breech, valve, bolt, insert, reg, and bottom line (and barrel, IIRC) are all anno'ed. The breech and bottom line (and barrel) are powder coated on top of the anno in some places.
22. Does unplugging the board reset the settings?

No, it does not. The chip on the board would take 40+ years to lose the data on it according to Ydna.

23. What is the "rebound" mode everyone is talking about?

Rebound mode is a board setting for ramping, i.e you pull the marker 5x / second and the board will ramp that to 17 shots per second.

24. Where can I get replacement parts for my Ion?

You can get all replacement parts from PunishersPB or directly from Smart Parts.

Last edited by Everlight389 : 03-26-2006 at 10:42 AM.
Everlight389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 05:47 PM   #2
Everlight389

Continued

25. How do I remove the feedneck?

You remove it by unscrewing it. However, it's loctited in there pretty good, so clamp the body down in a vise and use a wrench to twist off the feedneck. If you plan on saving the feedneck, pad it with wood or lots of paper towels so it won't scratch.

Various stuff contributed by speedy2k4:

Q: “How do I install the QEV?"

A: It is a very simple install process. Break down the marker as you would to clean it. (Read the manual for step by step instructions) Remove the banjo fitting that has the “eye wire” rubber banded to it. Replace that banjo fitting with the QEV and re-assemble the marker.

Q: “Do I need a barb or a QD (Quick disconnect) fitting?”

A: Yes. You need a way to connect the hose from the solenoid to the QEV. A barb will slip inside of the hose and a QD will allow the hose to slip inside of it. The QD fitting would be most similar to the stock banjo fittings or like a macro line fitting. The benefit of the QD fitting is that the hose can be quickly and easily disconnected and reconnected several times. Once a barb is disconnected from the line, the line suffers much more severely and may need to be replaced to avoid leaks. I recommend the QD fitting over a barb, but offer both for those that want the absolute
cheapest way.

Q: “Do I need to use Teflon tape or locktite on the QEV?”

A: Yes, there is an O-ring on the QEV, but it is very important not to over tighten the QEV. They are made of brass, and it is very unlikely that the QEV will line up the correct way when tightened enough to seal with the o-ring.

Q: “Do I need to cut the shell to install a QEV?”

A: NO! with the Clippard MEV- 2 the QEV will sit high enough to allow installation over the shell with out having to cut part of it.

Q: “I installed a QEV, Now how do I take advantage of it?”

A: The QEV will allow your marker to cycle faster by relieving pressure in front of the bolt, allowing it to move forward into firing position faster. The result is that a much lower Dwell Setting can be used. Simply open the grip frame on the marker and set the dwell to 5 clicks from bottom (read the manual for detailed instructions on this process). Next go to a chronograph and fire over the chrono. Raise the Dwell until an even FPS reading is obtained. (+/- 5 Feet per second). Finally set the input pressure to obtain the correct velocity.

Q: “I installed a QEV, but I am sick of taking it off every time I want to clean the gun. Is there a faster way?”

A: Yes, but it involves cutting the shell. A piece of the shell needs to be cut out to allow for the shell to pass by the QEV.

Ion versus ____ threads (Posting them in the Ion forum will result in the thread being closed)

Ion versus A-5

Ion versus Impulse

Ion versus Omen

Ion versus RT automag

Ion versus Spyder E-99

Ion versus Wrath versus 05 BKO FAQ thread that I wrote

Ion versus BKO and b2k4

Ion versus Trilogy Pro

Ion versus Oddessy 02

Ion versus Rat Impulse

Ion versus Prostock

Ion versus Strange Impulse

Ion versus Spyder Pilot ACS

Ion versus Wrath

Ion versus Wrath

Misc:

HaloB versus Eggy2

Useful links:

Ion board FAQ

Smart Parts Ion Manual

Ydna's website, very good resource for technical information

suXor's Ion disassembly and reassembly guide

Smart Parts Ion Manual

Ion modification thread

Robdamanii (the owner of Ithaca paintball) Ion review

The Ion upgrade thread

Post any questions

Thanks to Ydna, Twiek, f2f4, and various other people for helping me with this

Last edited by Everlight389 : 05-24-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Everlight389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 12:19 PM   #3
Paintbalwizard
aids monkey

great faq
sp says to run the ion withe hpa or anti-siphon co2 but can i run non-siphoned co2 on an ion
Paintbalwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 02:29 PM   #4
nerdcore
Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Paintbalwizard
great faq
sp says to run the ion withe hpa or anti-siphon co2 but can i run non-siphoned co2 on an ion
Don't... just don't.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:29 PM   #5
Everlight389

You can, but it isn't reccomended. If you must use co2, get an anti-siphon tube and have it installed by your proshop (like $15 or so installed).
Old 06-27-2005, 10:26 AM   #6
borntolose1319

shell

i heard about a new shell coming out that lets you unscrew the back of it to get at the bolt do you have any info about this?
borntolose1319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 10:38 AM   #7
nerdcore
Legend

Re: shell

Quote:
Originally posted by borntolose1319
i heard about a new shell coming out that lets you unscrew the back of it to get at the bolt do you have any info about this?
There's been a lot of threads on the new shells. www.deadlywind.com makes one, www.strangegear.com makes another. Those two let you remove the bolt without dissassembling the marker.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:27 AM   #8
duckinthefog

Send a message via AIM to duckinthefog Send a message via Yahoo to duckinthefog
very helpful everlight, you da man for doing all this for the newbs.

jason
03 vert cocker
smart parts ION
spyder imagine (on its way to becoming an intimidator)

98% of american teenagers have tried pot, if your part of the 2% that dont give a crap put this in your sig.

im ion fan club member #11(the best number of course)

contact igota98custom to join
duckinthefog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 05:17 PM   #9
dmw2692004
Ionic Destruction

Send a message via AIM to dmw2692004
A leak?

Ya, i have a SP ion that i just bought recently..and yes i am gonna upgrade it..i already started... Well anyways i think that my ion has a leak. Wehn i bought it the first thing i did was plug the HPA tank into the ion and evrything was fine. Then i took it off and started taking the ion apart.. being careful..the tubing twords the back was all jammed up! so i ripped the tubing from the back intranals off making shue i got it all out. I took it to look at it and it was all pinched pissed: ..So then i put in the replacement tubing (short) onto it... and i put the nitro back in plugged it all back up blah blah.. ya so it was all fine an everything for a few days and then like a week after i went to ajust my trigger on it and i looked at the pressure gague and the friking nitro gauge was 1.5thosand psi.(3000psi tank). so i went and shot it.. i shot 120 balls and that was it..i though ok.whtever. so now im allc onfused.. The tank is a 48ci PMI pure eneregy tank that is replacing my old nitro tank..so is it the nitro or the gun or it just natural
dmw2692004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 05:39 AM   #10
dmw2692004
Ionic Destruction

ION BOARD?

is there any way you can reset the setting on the ion board..
???
Old 07-09-2005, 08:22 AM   #11
dmw2692004
Ionic Destruction

Taking the dam gun back

i taking my ion back and am going to try to get a new gun..they friking ripped me off...noobs i really pissed right now my vision is goin beserk im gonna get a new ion tho with dye stkie 3s and like a stiffi or soemthin and a egg.i taking my ion back and am going to try to get a new gun..they friking ripped me off...noobs i really pissed right now my vision is goin beserk im gonna get a new ion tho with dye stkie 3s and like a stiffi or soemthin and a egg. ..or i can get a new upper vision board for 20 bucks i do not know right now im gonna tot he store that i bought and talk with the dudes and see if they canr eplace it for me so i can trick ti out..
Old 07-09-2005, 10:40 PM   #12
nerdcore
Legend

Re: Taking the dam gun back

Quote:
Originally posted by dmw2692004
i taking my ion back and am going to try to get a new gun..they friking ripped me off...noobs i really pissed right now my vision is goin beserk im gonna get a new ion tho with dye stkie 3s and like a stiffi or soemthin and a egg.i taking my ion back and am going to try to get a new gun..they friking ripped me off...noobs i really pissed right now my vision is goin beserk im gonna get a new ion tho with dye stkie 3s and like a stiffi or soemthin and a egg. ..or i can get a new upper vision board for 20 bucks i do not know right now im gonna tot he store that i bought and talk with the dudes and see if they canr eplace it for me so i can trick ti out..
What's it doing? It could be doing what mine did, which is not see the ball, thus not firing. But the problem was the detents weren't holding the ball back. See if that's the problem first.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:45 AM   #13
paintballa31290

first electronic

this is gonna be my first electronic gun so when it comes out of the box will i have to mess with the eyes and things like that and end up screwing up my. If there is anything i need to kno please tell me. i also wana know where u turn down ur regulator at first. i dont have my gun yet but where do i turn it down at and how.
trinity feed neck
paintballa31290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 08:52 AM   #14
dmw2692004
Ionic Destruction

u dont know were to adjust the LPR... But u dont have to screw wit the eyes or anything u just gotta have a nitro tank and an electric loader adjust ur trigger and u got a OK marker..I would get a barrel and like a Bob Long Torpedo LPR becuase is more accurate the stock one ahs a 7-/+PSI..

95% of peoples stats r fake if urs rnt then put this in ur sig,

"Paintballers are like roses, watch out for the pricks."
Old 07-15-2005, 11:05 AM   #15
jsjaedon

4. Does the Ion really have drop off over long strings?

With the thin mesh screen I got some drop off, but without it on I had none. Only take off the screen if you are using HPA, do not remove it if you are using co2.

what is the thin mesh screen? I'm using a HPA and would like to get rid of drop off.
jsjaedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 06:21 PM   #16
GranDream
This is the Final Cut

Send a message via AIM to GranDream
Quote:
Originally posted by jsjaedon

what is the thin mesh screen? I'm using a HPA and would like to get rid of drop off.

That would be the c02 filter. Definitely get rid of it if you use HPA. Just take off the reg and it will prettymuch fall out of the trigger frame.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:10 PM   #17
ratimpybigpimp
rat impulse lover

Send a message via AIM to ratimpybigpimp
Good FAQ, even though im not one for ions.
rat jr. imp: (RATJR00415) WAS board(uncapped w/ reflective bolt), Voodo Bolt, vert max-flo(black and red), Dead on bullit drop w/on-off(red), (red q-lock), 10" progressive barrel(red), eclipse blade trigger(red), brass hammer and internals, NDZ maxflo ASA, custom ano(black body, red max-flo knob, red tray, red lpr, red tray), Vert Logic Paintball Angel Frame, Speed 05 Grips.

Nerve may be on the way to join my impulse in the ion killing crusade

http://www.putfile.com/ratimpybigpimp
ratimpybigpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 04:47 PM   #18
CJA102

Can the front grip of the ION Body Kit (The grip that goes ova the stock reg) fit over regulators liek Bob Long Topeados or wat?
CJA102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:29 AM   #19
sinnsro

boresize on the barrel is?
sinnsro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 08:24 PM   #20
nerdcore
Legend

CJA102 - not really.

sinnsro - .689 roughly.