pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Specific Marker Forums > Smart Parts > Ion / Epiphany / EOS / Vibe

Old 03-24-2005, 05:47 AM   #1
snap shoot
L337

Send a message via AIM to snap shoot Send a message via Yahoo to snap shoot
Smart Parts Ion - the facts

Ok as we all know the Ion is like the hottest selling gun right now. However there are lot rumors im about to bust.

I heard that he whole gun is plastic, trigger frame and all!

Not true, the gun is powercoated which is different from getting it anodized but they loook the same , therefore cutting the cost of the gun itself . The only thing "plastic" on the gun is the the shells.

Why can my impulse threads fit my Ion shouldnt they have independent barrel threads?

Most probably for these reasons
1. SP has plenty of imp threaded freak kits they wanna get rid of at one point they where giving it away as a free gift with certain guns , stating the obvious that they wanted to get rid of them.
2. So did other people with imp barrels that didnt really need them all.

I heard the body is plastic!

Not true as I stated in my first answer , there is an alluminum core with POLYMER (hard plastic) SHELLS like on a hopper. Great idea, cuts costs and customizes your gun much easier. Who wants to pay 150 for an anoe job when you can pay 30 for some shells that are also interchangeable?

There has to be a catch a Sp gun for only 300 bucks! Do they blow up or something?

Why would there be a catch? Think about it, dont anodize, powder coat saves SP more money. Plastic shells, dont have to anodize em or spend time cutting the aluminum or running a cnc machine. Break beam eyes arent expensive neither is a board. People dont realize how cheap it is for a company to make a gun, do you honestly think an timmy,angels,orr-acles should sell for 1200-1600 when the gun cant cost more then 150-250 to build? The markup on these guns are unbeliveable.

What can the gun run on?

It can run on n2 or co2 (with anti siphon) but n2 is reccomended by SP and most people.

Wats up with the board and the 17 bps cap stock?

Have you ever seen a gun shoot a true 17 bps? Yea, thats fast. You cant run through a 15.4 string yet alone 17. Plus now PSP you cant shoot faster then 15.4 anyways. Rebound mode is ridiculous and legal. Super fast. Full auto and 3 shot burst are capped at 10 bps in the PSP isnt that something to think about?. Rebound and semi are capped at 17, rebound is adjustable though to be capped at 13, 15 and 17.

The reg is plastic

No, its not it has a rubber covering that can be removed and changed like the shells, again save money anodizing and customizing giving you the user more customization for your gun which is saving us the buyers and Sp more money.

How is the efficency on this 'Ion"?

Smart parts claims 1200 shots off a 68/45 with a stock Ion.

What board?

Uses its own board. Also you can buy the Predator 2 boards are available for custom installation by zdspb.com.

What is the the weight of the gun?

Compairable to a shocker, about lbs. If you think thats heavy quit paintball , because the Ion is an acutal 2.2 pounds.

What feedneck threads?

Impulse, why? Same reason probably with the barrels , THERE IS A HUGE OVERSTOCK.

Is it spring return?

This is a nice question/rumor , NO.

What boards are coming out?

Talks of a WAS board soon , and Damon the creater of T board is stirring something up.

If you guys have any questions or if I missed anything I missed feel free to PM me.

CREDITS :

Thanks to milkydude8 for being extremely helpful , thanks to nightsolider33,firekow and Stan TheHitman for clearing up my questions and telling me if I forgot something .

If you guys have something to tell me or ask me please PM me.

Last edited by snap shoot : 03-29-2005 at 01:22 PM.
snap shoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 02:11 PM   #2
JD-Fuel
^Pod Pirate^

Send a message via AIM to JD-Fuel Send a message via MSN to JD-Fuel
Wasnt the imp discontinued? That would mean the ion is the new imp.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:18 PM   #3
milkydude8
<< ION >>

Send a message via AIM to milkydude8
Awesome post snap shoot.

- Blue Smart Parts ION.
- Black Smart Parts Q-Lock Low Rise Feed Neck.
- Crossfire 68ci 4500psi Compressed Air\N2 Tank.
- Blue Smart Parts Tank Armor Tank Cover 68ci.
- Blue Odyssey Halo B With Rip Drive Loader.
- Freak Barrel Kit - Black Alumnium Back - Blue AA 14' Front - Stainless Steel Insert Kit.
- Blue New Designz EZ Turn On/Off Micro-Rail Combo w/Air Bleed.
milkydude8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 02:03 PM   #4
P8ntballa904

Is the ion a low or high pressure gun cause i cant decide which one to buy! help me out please
P8ntballa904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 02:13 PM   #5
firekow
Banned

It runs at 180 PSI, but get a HP tank. Unless you're buying a really high flow tank like a max-flow or crossfire.
firekow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 06:13 PM   #6
Algernon
In Iraq (again)

really, what's the real reason for capping the board at 17 PBS. i'm not complaining by any means, as that is quite fast, but the answer given the topic post was somewhat of a cop out answer.

there is a rumor that the noid can't handel cycling any faster than 17. is there any truth in that? i find it hard to believe myself. if someone makes a ramp board capped at 20 then watch out, these 300 dollar baby shockers are gonna pwn markers three times their price.
Algernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 08:15 PM   #7
the Ydna
timetraveler

The reason the board is capped at 17 is so people will be discouraged into buying the shocker if they are looking for more speed.

The stock bolt using the stock solenoid will cycle 20-21 bps without dropoff. If you add a QEV, the speed will increase past 25-bps.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:26 PM   #8
tippmann007

will a palmers stab fit on the ion?
tippmann007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 03:36 PM   #9
amzng_spyderman
Legend

yeah. it'll fit.

"Fossil fuels are finite, but idiots are a renewable resource."
amzng_spyderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 03:40 PM   #10
tippmann007

on the palmers stab do u have to get a new hose or anything or can u use the stock hose?
Old 05-01-2005, 03:41 PM   #11
firekow
Banned

It may be too short. Macro is as cheap as $1 a foot at some places.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:24 PM   #12
Pbkid39
40+ Feedback

My Ion should be coming in friday and I'll be putting my stab. on it so I'll be able to tell you if it fits or not. I'd say it would be a bit too short, as firekow said.

Email/MSN:devin_boudreau@hotmail.com
AIM: Pbkid39

Yellow SP ION
Pbkid39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 06:01 PM   #13
tippmann007

Quote:
Originally posted by Pbkid39
My Ion should be coming in friday and I'll be putting my stab. on it so I'll be able to tell you if it fits or not. I'd say it would be a bit too short, as firekow said.
does your stab have a gauge or not....because i dont know if the stock gauge on the ion is on the reg or not
Old 05-02-2005, 05:06 PM   #14
clown_13_2001
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Send a message via AIM to clown_13_2001 Send a message via Yahoo to clown_13_2001
Quote:
Originally posted by tippmann007

does your stab have a gauge or not....because i dont know if the stock gauge on the ion is on the reg or not
The stock gauge is NOT on the reg.
clown_13_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 07:33 PM   #15
Paintballbeast

Send a message via Yahoo to Paintballbeast
Hey All

Hey guys,
New to the forum. I dont know if its been posted but you can view a video of the ION here:

http://www.smartparts.com/PR/IonVideo.aspx
Old 05-08-2005, 02:10 PM   #16
opclegendsfm

Thumbs down ION

I'm telling you this from experience the ion can't do 17 we just had a member of team aftermath that plays nppl div II and he played all day with it and only got it up to 14 so screw SP completely unless you can afford a shocker on nerve because the imp isn't all that great either get a bushy with a chaos board and a usb cable with you can all get on tantrumpaintball.com you'll rip faster than 21 easy if you know how to walk the trigger.

Last edited by opclegendsfm : 05-08-2005 at 02:14 PM.
opclegendsfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 02:54 PM   #17
Oni Gumo

It is CAPABLE of 17. Noone ever said 17 was easy to reach.
Oni Gumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 04:24 PM   #18
amzng_spyderman
Legend

Re: ION

Quote:
Originally posted by opclegendsfm
I'm telling you this from experience the ion can't do 17 we just had a member of team aftermath that plays nppl div II and he played all day with it and only got it up to 14 so screw SP completely unless you can afford a shocker on nerve because the imp isn't all that great either get a bushy with a chaos board and a usb cable with you can all get on tantrumpaintball.com you'll rip faster than 21 easy if you know how to walk the trigger.
that's quite the run on sentence you've got there. let's try using punctuation next time.

"Fossil fuels are finite, but idiots are a renewable resource."
amzng_spyderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 05:11 PM   #19
clown_13_2001
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Send a message via AIM to clown_13_2001 Send a message via Yahoo to clown_13_2001
Re: ION

Quote:
Originally posted by opclegendsfm
Heard of ramping?
clown_13_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 05:25 PM   #20
firekow
Banned

Re: Re: ION

Quote:
Originally posted by clown_13_2001

Heard of ramping?
Or commas?