pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Equipment Forums > Masks

Old 01-12-2002, 11:11 AM   #1
davkad
I PITY THE FOOL!

Send a message via ICQ to davkad Send a message via AIM to davkad
Properly Cleaning Goggles!!!

richy... i think that this thread really needs a sticky!
This is taken straight out of Doc's tinkerer's guide... but i think everyone should read this!

"I don't like when people type in all caps on message boards, but sometimes you gotta get a point across.

DO NOT USE ANY CHEMICALS OR SOLVENTS ON PAINTBALL LENSES!!!

This includes, but is not limited to, glass cleaners (Windex), household cleaners, bleach, gasoline, et cetera...

Any strong chemical WILL begin to react with the lens (which, IIRC, isn't Lexan, but a similar polycarbonate plastic...but don't quote me on that). You can't see them, but microscopic cracks will begin to form. Suddenly, that lens isn't strong enough to stop a paintball anymore. You might get away with it for a while, but is it really worth whatever benefit you might get in the short term when you lose an eye later on?

Think of it this way...that lens has been painstakingly engineered (by JT, Scott, BE, or whoever) to absorb the energy of a paintball traveling 300 feet per second...over and over again. Don't you think they know what that lens is capable of? Do you think they put that line that says "NEVER use solvents or harsh cleaners on the lens" in the manual just for the fun of it?

Use warm water. That'll get off any paint or dirt on the lens. If you've got oil or grease on them, use warm water with a little liquid dish soap (and keep your fingers off next time ). I've never had anything on my lenses that wouldn't come off with just water, anyway.

As long as we're on the subject, wash your goggles after every day's play - not the night before your next day. Paint fill acts like a solvent, albeit a weak one. The paint you get on it during a day's play won't hurt it for that short of a time, but if left on, will weaken the lens just like any other solvent. That's why they also say in the manuals that you should replace the lens at least once a year no matter how well you care for it.

Sorry about the rant, everyone, but I don't like to see people taking the chances they do with their eyes. That's just what the sport (and this board) needs... some new players lose eyes, and they say "oh, the people over on the Tinker board told us to use Windex on our lenses..."

Well, that's my 2 cents. Keep the change.

Kenn Mikos"

everyone, keep this in mind!

Current Guns:
2k1 Autococker #95568
Fear Factory Rainmaker

68/3k adjustable Bulldog n2 tank, 1 SP gauge, 1 ACI, date 10/00, STOLEN... keep a eye out please.

www.teardown.cjb.net a site made by me, how to take apart your kingman marker
davkad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 05:51 PM   #2
Chad51

How do I...

How do I get the paint splater out of the part were the lenses and the lense frame meet? I got hit with a ball and it splatered into there and I am still working at getting it out every time I get out my mask!
Tippmann Vertical ASA Adapter
Phycobalistics Double finger trigger
PMI expansion chamber
ADCO Imp red dot sight
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chad51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 03:58 PM   #3
Sandman220

Send a message via AIM to Sandman220
hey uhh........... im really glad i read this because just yesterday i put windex on my mask to clean it cause i got gogged right in the middle. Is there anything i can do to get rid of the windex or clean it off cause i did it so recently. So if you can please help...... do!
nVader goggles
12 ounce pmi pure energy
16 ounce pmi pure energy
Sandman220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 07:47 AM   #4
ME
Wiper Overshooter

Send a message via AIM to ME
STOP!!!!!!!!

Dont use anything on your lenses Except WATER get a spray bottle and soft cloth spray the water on the lenses to clean and use soft cloth to dry em
and after getting gogged make sure you do not have any damage to your lense and if you do replace it
NO EXCEPTIONS EXCUSES OR SUBSTITUTIONS EYES ARE PRECIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!
2 other model 98s
Mask:JT Proteus w/fan & US FLAG goggle skinz and fan
& JT Spectra
::Overshooting/Bonus balling Wipers Since 2000::
ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 01:30 PM   #5
133+ Player
I can do anything I want.

Send a message via AIM to 133+ Player Send a message via Yahoo to 133+ Player
Eye glass cleaner is made for GLASSES made of GLASS . Paint ball mask are plastic not glass so if you use earglass cleaner it's doing the same thing. nd unless this to be you DON'T!

She worked her toes into the sand feeling the tiny delicious pain of the friction of sand against the tender flesh between her toes. That's Life. It hurts, its dirty, and it feels very very good.
-Xenocide
By Orson Scott Card
133+ Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 04:24 PM   #6
bigbobmegadeth

Send a message via AIM to bigbobmegadeth
Re: uhhhmmm...

Quote:
Originally posted by MeGotzGriffin
ok im confused...2 people said no to eyeglass cleaners and one person said its ok...one th back of the little spray container (which came from LensCrafters) it says "safe on any lense or surface"

still confused...although im thinking im wrong and its time to order a new lense...
what is there to be confused about? just dont use anything but water!
bigbobmegadeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 01:42 PM   #7
splatterpunx
dead rotter

its printed and documented in every magazine and instruction manual for the last 14 year that i have been playing

im scanning one for you as we speak
Old 01-30-2002, 01:58 PM   #8
splatterpunx
dead rotter

well better than scanning a whole manual

www.dyeprecision.com

click on invision the data then look at the entire manual

thats one example
Old 01-30-2002, 02:06 PM   #9
Richy_C

Send a message via AIM to Richy_C
All posts recomending anything BUT water have to be deleted, sorry guys, using anything but is not only stupid, but ding ding, don't work as well. I wipe my goggles witha soft cloth (CLEAN! Make sure it's motorhellgreasemysterious stan free), and run them under a water fountain, nice andgentle, and clears away that thin layer that never seems to come off. Water, you drink it, you use it for paintball. Magical stuff.

Water works, it's free, and, hey, i said so
Richy_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 03:00 AM   #10
Cheapdog
Resident Sprockethead

What about those commercial anti-fog/cleaners that companies like 32Degrees makes (for goggles)? Those are perfectly safe, or else they wouldn't sell them, right?

"The mere existence of a flamethrower indicates that somewhere, at some point in time, someone thought, 'Gee, I wish I could set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough.'"
~George Carlin
Cheapdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 01:15 PM   #11
Robbins

Send a message via AIM to Robbins
does water also take care of the fogging up on your lense?
Psycho Ballistics Drop Forward
Trigger job
"Blade" trigger mod

Soon to come...
Revvy
Madman Spring kit

Quote:
Originally posted by Paint Bulley
Opinion's are like Butt hole's everyone has one and they all stink...
Visit our site http://team-hurricane.web.com/
Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 03:33 PM   #12
FlyBoyNZ
Motorized Chair Mafia

Send a message via AIM to FlyBoyNZ
I have a JT Alpha 2000 mask, its not special or anything, so i use antifog spray form Walgreens, is that ok?
FlyBoyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 03:45 PM   #13
jaronervin
Yeah I suck. So shoot me!

Send a message via ICQ to jaronervin Send a message via AIM to jaronervin
OK... anti-fog should be ok. cleaners have chemicals that are designed to break down anything that it isn't recommended for. anti-fog spray doesn't have that. Water will NOT make the goggles anti-fog, though. Are you trying to use the anti-fog as a cleaner, flyboy? If you are, I wouldn't recommend that, because I don't know how it would work. But it is fine on goggles.
"Shoot or be shot...hmm...good question" Jay
jaronervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 10:04 PM   #14
FlyBoyNZ
Motorized Chair Mafia

Send a message via AIM to FlyBoyNZ
i clean with water, but i cant seem to find my anit-fog bottle
FlyBoyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 07:13 PM   #15
SgtRauksauff

Send a message via ICQ to SgtRauksauff
Anti-Fog should be OK IF

Anti-Fog should be OK IF you have a thermal (double) lens.

the anti-fog goes on the INSIDE lens. which never gets hit by the paintball, and is there to prevent fogging primarily, not additional stopping power. The OUTER lens is the one that you should protect with your life. or at least with a clean cloth and water.

If you have a mask with a single lens, you have 2 choices. get a new mask w/ a double lens, or get a double lens for your existing mask.

Am I wrong here? Just my (to me) logical thought processes at work. guaranteed 93% fat free.

--SgtRauksauff

Actually, I just got my JT Flex7 IZE on friday, and they said never to use ANYTHING on the inside lens. Not even their own JT-Majik anti-fog. Here's a quote from the User Guide of my goggles, regarding the thermal lens:
Quote:
THERMAL LENS: Take the Thermal lens out of the goggle dframe and gently dab the lens with a damp JT Microfiber Lens cloth or a soft cotton cloth. NEVER submerge this dual lens in water. NEVER scrub the soft inner lens. NEVER apply any form of fog resistant solution to the inner lens.

Last edited by SgtRauksauff : 03-02-2002 at 11:46 PM.
SgtRauksauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 01:47 AM   #16
Cheapdog
Resident Sprockethead

I have a question. Is it safe to use a PVA cloth from an auto parts store to help clean your goggles? They are super-absorbant, lint free, and very soft (if not more so than microfiber). I wouldn't scrub the goggles with them, I would just dab them with the PVA cloth after squirting the goggles with water to clean them. If it makes any difference, I have a Proteus w/ a thermal lens.

"The mere existence of a flamethrower indicates that somewhere, at some point in time, someone thought, 'Gee, I wish I could set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough.'"
~George Carlin
Cheapdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 02:13 AM   #17
DRUMNATURAL
Just play natural

I don't see why not. I use my 12 months old son wash cloths. They are all sorts of soft and work great. The wife doesn't appreciate it much though.
Old 03-10-2002, 08:42 AM   #18
BlinkBaller
This sucks!

Send a message via AIM to BlinkBaller
Hey about the paint getting spalatered bewteen the lens and then rim a of the goggles, I ripped a peice of cardboard off(it was pretty thin) and i wedged it bewten the to and pushed or pulled and then paint was cleaned of.

Anti-Fog

Ok I play hockey and paintball and for hockey on sum of the masks they have a plastic shield(sum of the pros use 'em) and in my pro shop they have "Fog Buster" for them and I was wondering if I could use that spray on my paintball mask? Thanks!
Go young one! Go fourth and learn! Leave the mystery, turn it unto adreniline, release your fears!
BlinkBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 08:23 PM   #19
RedBull
WHAAAAA!!!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to RedBull
what if im in the feild and i get splatter now not a direct hit but like spray off a branch and when i try to wipe it off with my gloves and it gets it off pretty good but its still screwing up my perception any quick sugeastions?
RedBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 05:49 PM   #20
FormalTrout

I use a sports bottle with water and keep a towel in my camo.
ak Ric
J&J 10" 2 piece full tilt
FormalTrout is offline   Reply With Quote