pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Specific Marker Forums > Smart Parts > Ion / Epiphany / EOS / Vibe

Old 10-21-2005, 10:05 PM   #1
the Ydna
timetraveler

Ion LPR mod

Those of you with a spare LPR lying around may enjoy taking the time to perform this mod here.

Another picture here and here.

Here's a wide, and another wide.

Basically.....the LPR is attached to the stock operating pressure gauge port, and connects to the solenoid head using 1/8" microline as usual. The solenoid head has one side plugged, and the other leads from the LPR.
I drilled and tapped another output opposite of the stock gauge position for a new gauge to be placed.
Then used 5/32" microline to connect the swivel donut to the air source, leading through the side of the frame then into a new port I drilled and tapped into the side of the donut. I had to cut the exoskeleton for this. It also allows the donut to remain inside the exoskeleton when I remove the fire chamber (no c-clip is installed).
I can attach a modular pressure gauge to the opposite side of the solenoid head, if I want to read the pneumatics pressure for testing. Otherwise I just leave the gauge off.

Old 10-21-2005, 10:37 PM   #2
Dark Master

I knew someone would eventually find a way to mount a LPR. Very nice. How's the efficiency?
Dark Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 05:59 AM   #3
Hekrill
Katrina Survivor

And what's the operating pressure?
Reloader B L.E. HALO Shell

gone for a while...
Hekrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 12:49 PM   #4
the Ydna
timetraveler

Efficiency will be improved a tad with the stock bolt. Operating pressure is the same. The pneumatics pressure can't be lowered too much with the stock bolt, but I've got soem other stuff coming in the mail hopefully soon that will be a bit more different...
Old 10-22-2005, 02:12 PM   #5
phatrob37
robo-bobo aka FATBOY

whoa whoa, now i know this is stupid, but whats the purpose here. sorry

it seems like a good mod though, even if i dont know its purpose.

03 BKO(FOR SALE,pm for details)
04 Cocker (All Gloss Black)
e-blade,freak,cheak it uni mount,nexus ram with qev's,dye beaver tail,tickler reg,cp inline
soon:nexus dart,shocktech cocking rod,kapp a/c black pump arm

05 Lucky's Ion(All Dust Black)
Foehn,DYE UL,ndz feedneck,hybrid grind II,dye stickies,sythe trigger,
v2 frame,T-Board w/membrane,kila detents,cp inline, virtue on/off soon:high-light
phatrob37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 02:32 PM   #6
the Ydna
timetraveler

The solenoid pressure can be fine-tuned to a point where the marker uses less air to operate while at the same time experiencing no loss in speed or other issues. This yields greater efficiency and reduced recoil.

The force that pushes the bolt open need only be slightly greater than the force closing it. It's true that the closer the two forces are, the slower the bolt will open (theoretically...since we're talking about very small differences here). I put together a few more hose fittings that allow me to attach a gauge onto the back of the solenoid for testing when needed. I had to take the gun apart today to install a new board but once my loctite dries I can get some interesting pressure/force experimentation done. But when I just want to go out and play, I don't need to know exactly what the LPR pressure is.

Here's my LPR tester...

There's a small hole on the back of the frame where the hose can lead in and connect to the solenoid head, in the position that is normally blocked off (in the above picture).

Last edited by the Ydna : 10-22-2005 at 02:35 PM.
the Ydna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 08:18 PM   #7
Monkeyeez
"I'm Coming For You!!"

Crazy good times. Man you should get out more. Keep us posted. I have an extra LPR from an old BSI E bolt off a 98c. If this mod turns out to be a good idea resulting in better over all function I may have to give it a try.
P.S. Isn't it time we made am Ion Mod sticky???

Set Up:98C w/ 24 Oz Co2 Tank, Remote, X Chamber (As Stock), Palmer Stab, LP Kit, Dark Harizon Lite Bolt, Toxic DT, "home mods", 13" Empire twister, Halo B. W.A.S. E Grip Next.

God, Jesus, and The Holy Ghost! Who's got your back?
Proud to say I'm a Christian saved by the blood of Christ... are you?
Monkeyeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 08:38 AM   #8
phatrob37
robo-bobo aka FATBOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyeez
P.S. Isn't it time we made am Ion Mod sticky???
i concur

03 BKO(FOR SALE,pm for details)
04 Cocker (All Gloss Black)
e-blade,freak,cheak it uni mount,nexus ram with qev's,dye beaver tail,tickler reg,cp inline
soon:nexus dart,shocktech cocking rod,kapp a/c black pump arm

05 Lucky's Ion(All Dust Black)
Foehn,DYE UL,ndz feedneck,hybrid grind II,dye stickies,sythe trigger,
v2 frame,T-Board w/membrane,kila detents,cp inline, virtue on/off soon:high-light
phatrob37 is offline   Reply With Quote