pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > General Marker Forums > High-End Electronic Markers

View Poll Results: which gun should i buy
icd promaster 52 70.27%
smartparts ion 22 29.73%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-17-2005, 09:29 AM   #1
Mjsk8er77

Send a message via AIM to Mjsk8er77 Send a message via Yahoo to Mjsk8er77
Question Pro master vs. Ion

hey everyone well i thought i had finally decided on the ion. well that was untill people started talking about the pro master and i took a look at it. it looks like a sweet gun and now i can't decide between teh ion and promaster. the ion would stay stock except for a barrel and body kit making it the same price as a promaster. the promaster would get a drop adn macroline and otherwise be stock. i like the fact the promaster has a field strippable bolt, better trigger, better looks imo, but i read that theres stuff u need to do to the promaster as far as disassembly that im not comfortable doing. what should i do!?

http://www.specialopspaintball.com
Sign up and Enter this number (57843) to win free paint/pods +other stuff just for joining!!!!

Go team Dark Mercenaries!
(front man for my team)

Originally quoted by Crede777: But yeah, CO2 on Angels is like...chocolate on dogs, or rat poison on children or well you get the picture.
Mjsk8er77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 09:39 AM   #2
A-5best
Virtů

Send a message via AIM to A-5best
While it is a close race, i suggest you base it off of the feel of the markers. Also you can not discount the fact that since the ion is a hundred bucks cheaper, you can get some good stuff for it, like a nice clamping feedneck, nice trigger, nice barrel and whatever else and it would still be cheaper than or equal to the price of a promaster.
This one with the thin skinWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW_WWWWWWWWWWWOr a rational man?
Who should learn to laugh at himself
At himself
A-5best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 09:51 AM   #3
ikey

to be good an ion needs, new board, scythe trigger, reg is optional but a good choice, qev with a quick disconnect, new bolt is opntional but a good choice, feed neck and a rail.
the promaster probably has decent regs, adjustable trigger, pasically a predator flashed board, and really doesn need to much. if you wan to puor a whole lot of money into teh gun i say ion, if not get the promaster.

forum
http://www.markedfordeathpaintball.com/forum/index.php
ikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 09:59 AM   #4
equipmentcounts
Chocolate Rain.

Send a message via AIM to equipmentcounts
Isn't there a ion vs promaster sticky ? : \
Old 12-17-2005, 06:26 PM   #5
-Evilordie-
Guelph Arsenal

Send a message via MSN to -Evilordie-
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikey
to be good an ion needs, new board, scythe trigger, reg is optional but a good choice, qev with a quick disconnect, new bolt is opntional but a good choice, feed neck and a rail.
the promaster probably has decent regs, adjustable trigger, pasically a predator flashed board, and really doesn need to much. if you wan to puor a whole lot of money into teh gun i say ion, if not get the promaster.
Well you dont need to pour a whole lot of money into the marker, i live in canada so look at it through my point of vue

ION-365.99

Promaster=499.99

with over 140$ these are my choices 1)trigger and a barrel 2)feedneck and barrel) 3)trigger,feedneck,grips 4)board 5)body
Old 12-17-2005, 06:37 PM   #6
slaminator3323
Final Fantasy 8 Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-5best
While it is a close race, i suggest you base it off of the feel of the markers. Also you can not discount the fact that since the ion is a hundred bucks cheaper, you can get some good stuff for it, like a nice clamping feedneck, nice trigger, nice barrel and whatever else and it would still be cheaper than or equal to the price of a promaster.
Exactly my take on it, so
Ion=$230
+Barrel=$60
+Feedneck=$35
+ASA=$35
+Trigger=$35
Total=$395
Promaster=$390
ASA=$35
Total=$425
Id also go as far to say that the barrel and feedneck will be better on the Ion, though the Promaster does have an uncapped board.
Kila magnetic detents
NDZ Saw trigger
CP two piece
Smoke Reloader B
Jungle Fighters
Got a Tadao board and 360 QEV and haven't played paintball in over a year,(I have bad withdrawals).
slaminator3323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 06:51 PM   #7
-Evilordie-
Guelph Arsenal

Send a message via MSN to -Evilordie-
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaminator3323
Ion=$230
+Barrel=$60
+Feedneck=$35
+ASA=$35
+Trigger=$35
Total=$395
Promaster=$390
ASA=$35
Total=$425
Id also go as far to say that the barrel and feedneck will be better on the Ion, though the Promaster does have an uncapped board.
My exact point... we make a good team
Old 12-18-2005, 05:41 AM   #8
Someshta

Send a message via AIM to Someshta
Quote:
Ion=$230
+Barrel=$60
+Feedneck=$35
+ASA=$35
+Trigger=$35
Total=$395
Promaster=345
ASA=$35
Total=$380
Fixed.

Again, check your prices before you mislead people. It's not that hard.

Red ICD B2k PDS w/ ANS Gen X HPR, Vaporworks Chaos Chip, 12" Dye Boomstick
Someshta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 06:31 AM   #9
pb4fun
#1 hitman... yea right...

Quote:
Ion=$230
+Barrel=$60
+Feedneck=$35
+ASA=$35
+Trigger=$35
Total=$395
Promaster=$350
ASA= $35
Total= $385
ummm, lets try harder to be biased. Allright so preatty much what you did was you found the lowest price possible for the ion, while chosing the highest price possible for the promaster. Also, both need a new reg, and the ion needs QEV's to catch up to promaster. Also, the ion needs a new body and a new board to match the promaster's looks, speed, and overall mowing ability..... I have psycic powers and they're telling me you own an ion. :

Blue to black 2K5 Alias Intimidator w/ many more upgrades than I can mention
Black 14" Scepter Barrel System
Halo B rip drive
PMI 68ci/4500
Reds blue tank cover
Proto 4 pod harness
Evil 05 pants
Proto Switch FS
Dye C5 jersey
Dye C4 gloves
pb4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 08:47 AM   #10
slaminator3323
Final Fantasy 8 Rocks

I didn't know you could find Promasters that cheap, and meh, I don't find the need to shoot faster than 17bps, I am getting a Predator board for the Ion eventually though, but thats becuase I want the extra modes, and the Ion does not need a new shell just to be as good as the Promaster. The Ion also does not need a qev to catch up to the Promaster. I actually know where to get the Ion cheaper by $10 equaling out the prices, fact is between the two its preference.
Kila magnetic detents
NDZ Saw trigger
CP two piece
Smoke Reloader B
Jungle Fighters
Got a Tadao board and 360 QEV and haven't played paintball in over a year,(I have bad withdrawals).

Last edited by slaminator3323 : 12-18-2005 at 08:59 AM.
slaminator3323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 08:58 AM   #11
A-5best
Virtů

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4fun
ummm, lets try harder to be biased. Allright so preatty much what you did was you found the lowest price possible for the ion, while chosing the highest price possible for the promaster. Also, both need a new reg, and the ion needs QEV's to catch up to promaster. Also, the ion needs a new body and a new board to match the promaster's looks, speed, and overall mowing ability..... I have psycic powers and they're telling me you own an ion. :
On the ion you dont need a reg and you dont need QEVs, dont get caught up in shooting fast, you cant pull 17bps anyway so it doesnt matter.

Also, according to you he would spend 10$ more on ups for the ion, and 10$ less on the promaster. But lets consider this, where are the ups for the promaster? No aftermarket barrel for it, no aftermarket trigger for it and no clamping feedneck on it. So the extra 10$ in ups for the ion is money well spent.
At himself
Old 12-18-2005, 09:01 AM   #12
k00leo
Blood Brothers

Location: where the sky is blue, the grass is green and where the girls flock to your every move.
Send a message via AIM to k00leo
Promaster > ION

End of story.

Mjsk said that he'd mainly be playing stock. SOO in any case, we should be comparing the stock abbilites of the guns.

The stock Promaster compleatly destroys the stock ION.
Even with the upgrades that mjsk listed he'd be getting for the ion. The promaster still surpasses the ION.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:02 AM   #13
A-5best
Virtů

Why does it surpass the ion in every aspect, the ion is smaller and lighter, and please im interested to hear why the promaster "completely surpasses the ion with ups" im curious please tell me. While both stock of course the promaster surpases the ion, but one is 115$ less. Thats like comparing an imp back in the days with a proto.
At himself
Old 12-18-2005, 10:21 AM   #14
Mjsk8er77

thnx kooleo for listening paying attention to the fact either would be staying stock for the most part. im hoping to get the promaster by the way

Sign up and Enter this number (57843) to win free paint/pods +other stuff just for joining!!!!

(front man for my team)

Originally quoted by Crede777: But yeah, CO2 on Angels is like...chocolate on dogs, or rat poison on children or well you get the picture.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:05 AM   #15
Everlight389

No gun is good stock... none in this price range at least. Add a trigger, asa, reg, barrel, ect and it BECOMES a better gun because it's more personalized. In general, people toss off all the stock parts pretty quickly anyways.

I've seen a couple promasters and personally I was less than impressed. But, that's my opinion. With the Ion it has tons of aftermarket parts so you can replace any part of the gun that you want to without any problems at all.

In general, I'd say shoot each, but if you want a gun that has the stuff you want on it get the ion with upgrades. Personally, I'd get the Ion, slap an ANS roller trigger, CIP unimount, Q-lock (or CCM mid rise, if you have a revvy/eggy), and a QEV, then be happy.

The point: We can't decide for you. Neither gun is that good stock.

Try reading the FAQ's as well...
Old 12-18-2005, 11:07 AM   #16
iplaynaked
Banned

Send a message via AIM to iplaynaked
Quote:
Originally Posted by k00leo
Promaster > ION

End of story.

Mjsk said that he'd mainly be playing stock. SOO in any case, we should be comparing the stock abbilites of the guns.

The stock Promaster compleatly destroys the stock ION.
Even with the upgrades that mjsk listed he'd be getting for the ion. The promaster still surpasses the ION.
Not even close, you have no clue what you're talking about. Listen to what Everlight said, not this k00leo twit.
iplaynaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 11:43 AM   #17
Mjsk8er77

stop the bias and STOP RECCOMENDING DAMN UPGRADES i said stock so if u can't handle that then shut up

(front man for my team)

Old 12-18-2005, 12:26 PM   #18
A-5best
Virtů

1) nobody here is being biased, we are telling you the best choice.
2) No gun in this price range will perform all that great without ups.

My
At himself
Old 12-18-2005, 01:28 PM   #19
iplaynaked
Banned

Send a message via AIM to iplaynaked
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-5best
1) nobody here is being biased, we are telling you the best choice.
2) No gun in this price range will perform all that great without ups.

My
Word, G.
iplaynaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 03:00 PM   #20
k00leo
Blood Brothers

Location: where the sky is blue, the grass is green and where the girls flock to your every move.
Send a message via AIM to k00leo
oh my god... you ION fools keep brining up the issue of upgrading the ion. Mjsk said he will be playing STOCK. Get it through your heads. Meaning we're comparing the STOCK capabilities. C'mon, not only did I myself tell you its going to be stock but so did Mjsk who is GETTING the gun.

A-5, shut your trap, i NEVER said it " surpassed the ion in every aspect". Get your fact stright before you post some BS post about what i said. The ion has like... weight over the Promaster, and price.

Iplaynaked, you aswell need to shut your trap, if your going to dissagree with what i said accually tell me/us why.