pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Specific Marker Forums > Smart Parts > Impulse

Old 03-29-2006, 01:50 PM   #1
Bowser45
Beast ***e

Send a message via AIM to Bowser45 Send a message via MSN to Bowser45
Impulse Board Comparison Thread

Wicked Air Sports Equalizer Board

What is the Equalizer?

The Equalizer is a tournament legal board for Smart Parts' Impulse series markers. This board has not been approved for use by Smart Parts and may void the warranty of your marker (if it is still under warranty). This board will work in all current and future Vision and Vision-Ready Impulse models. This upgrade board increases the rate of fire and offers numerous other features (described below). The Equalizer comes with the main board, eye board, eye cable, eye cover, and screws for installation. You can use either a long or short ball detent.

Yes, the Equalizer comes with a completely new and vastly superior eye system! We developed a sensor specifically for detecting paintball shells! No other board can compare! You can shoot any color paintball, including black, multi-colored, and even transparent, glow-in-the-dark types!

How difficult is it to install the Equalizer?

Installation of the Equalizer is very simple, and takes just a few minutes! Just remove the grip of your marker, remove the old stock circuit board (along with the old eye and daughter board if present), and then install your new Equalizer board. No soldering is required. The stock eye location has a metal burr that must be removed prior to the installation of the Equalizer's eye board. This can be done in easily using a 3/16" or smaller round file (like a chainsaw blade sharpening file). You can change back to the stock configuration at anytime.

What other features does the Equalizer have?

The power supply used with the stock Impulse boards is not sufficient to drive the solenoid output at a high rate of fire without shoot down. The solenoid drive circuit is also not sufficient to drive the solenoid at sustained rate of fire. Both of these problems are responsible for a common problem known as "first shot drop off" (or FSDO for short). These problems have been corrected with the Equalizer hardware. FSDO can still occur if the ram assembly is "sticky", generally caused from improper maintenance (too little or too much lubrication of the ram assembly), and the worst cause of FSDO being the solenoid with oil based lubrication. However, even in these cases, the Equalizer's overpowering solenoid output can virtually eliminate the problem.

There are no dip switches. All settings are stored internally. Settings can be changed at any time via the computer interface (Equalink). Some settings such as the dwell, debounce, and eye mode, can be programmed using the trigger and LED.

The computer interface allows the user to adjust all of the settings. The most important feature of this interface is the ability to completely reprogram the software in the board. Wicked Air Sportz will periodically update the software as we improve it, and this allows an easy method of upgrading boards without them having to be returned for the upgrade.
Firing modes include Semi-Auto, PSP Ramping, and NXL Full-Auto.

Technical information about the Equalizer

Rate of fire: Limited Only By The Pneumatics. Approximately 40cps. Equalizer Hardware Will Handle In Excess Of 2,000 bps.
Power source: 9V Battery.
Interface: Proprietary; Based On EIA232 Standards.
Warranty: Lifetime.

I am looking to buy a very upgraded Impulse. If you have one and are willing to sell it for cheap, contact me.

ANARCHY OT
Intimidator Owners Group

Last edited by Bowser45 : 03-29-2006 at 01:54 PM.
Bowser45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:53 PM   #2
Bowser45
Beast ***e

Smart Parts Blackheart Board

The Blackheart circuit board is a full-featured tournament level, upgrade board. It gives you complete operational control and a wider range of adjustment for ION, Impulse, Shocker or Nerve markers. Features:

Fire Rate (Adjustable)
Trigger Debounce (Adjustable)
Kick-In Rate for Advanced Modes (Adjustable)
Sustain Rate for Advanced Modes (Adjustable)
Shots Fired to Enter Advanced Mode (Adjustable)
First Shot Drop Software (Adjustable)
PSP Legal Mode (Adjustable)
NXL Legal Mode (Adjustable)
Millennium Legal Mode (Adjustable)
Three Shot Burst
Low Battery Indicator
More User-Friendly Software

Smart Parts Cricket Board

The cricket board is the new 2K2 circuit board for the impulse. This board features a push button for on/off, and the dwell setting is fully digital, meaning you use buttons for setting the dwell one step up or down in stead of the old potentiometer dwell. The button dwell is tourney legal. The board has a blue, blinking LED instead of the old green/amber LED, and the board makes the chirping sound of a cricket for signaling on/off, dwell setting etc.

Usage Manual

Eye Adjustment Manual

I am looking to buy a very upgraded Impulse. If you have one and are willing to sell it for cheap, contact me.

ANARCHY OT
Intimidator Owners Group

Last edited by Bowser45 : 03-31-2006 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:19 PM   #3
spyderpainball
Hemi-Demi-Semi-Quaver

Send a message via AIM to spyderpainball
Nice work getting all the info together.

Blow Backs United Club

Sale Thread: AMG - T-Board - IPS - More

Salvation | Damnation
spyderpainball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 04:58 AM   #4
mgitlin
Ex-*****

Send a message via AIM to mgitlin Send a message via MSN to mgitlin
I would say with the popularity of ECS and DATRUPIMPWITANIMP's mod on pbn, you should add those to the mix also. Predator, morlock, and CS Vision may also be considerations, though they are more rare boards.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:41 AM   #5
Bowser45
Beast ***e

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgitlin
I would say with the popularity of ECS and DATRUPIMPWITANIMP's mod on pbn, you should add those to the mix also. Predator, morlock, and CS Vision may also be considerations, though they are more rare boards.
To elaborate more on this:

KM2 Morlock Board

This electronics package is built for no paintball gun in particular. The Morlock board will run any electro-pneumatic paintball gun, from a simple single-solenoid open bolt, to a double-solenoid closed-bolt with breech-sensor: that includes any commercial gun currently on the market, to any garage-built prototype. The Morlock will offer the same classic firing modes through its programmable trigger as the original Glacier did for the Shocker. Because this board is not built for any specific paintball gun; some assembly is required. Please read all documentation thoroughly before deciding to purchase this board.

More information can be found here.

Genesis Board

Now released for the Impulse, the Genesis is a drop in, select fire board, that gives the Impulse the fire settings from KM2 that Angel and Shocker owners have grown to love. Of course, this board sports tournament locks, changeable only by throwing dip-switches within the gun. The Genesis also supports the Genesis Vision anti-chop eye. The Genesis, is a great enhancement to any Impulse and comes with the signature blue LED that the Glacier is known for.

NOTE: This board has been discontinued from the paintball market.

The manual and other information on this board can be found at www.exarin.com.

CS Designs Board

Eye Improvements:
The CS-Designs board is really GREAT. It is actualy has a better "eye" and eyelogic the the SP eye/logic. Ever use a SP eye with the PMI black and silver paint? If you have you know its one of the paint that you normaly have to turn the eye Off to shoot-- I have yet to find a paint that the CS eye dosn't reconize or "learn" (there is actuly some sort of error correcting logic in the software that "adjusts" the eye on the fly).

Ramping Mode:
In addition to a better then adverage eye, it also has a switch that can turn on or off a selectable "ramping" mode. If you pull the trigger at about 10/sec for about 3 pulls, it jumps the Rate of fire up to about 13.5, keep pulling at 10 and it jumps to 15, keep pulling and it jumps to 19.

Almost anyone can very quickly get to the point that they can shoot 19+ ball a sec with this board!

Setup:
It is a daughter board. It plugs into the any NON VISION board like a solenoid. It comes with the screws and spacers to mount it in the vision daugherboard spot. It comes with an EYE that monts in the normal SP vision slot It also comes with a battery adapter which allows one set of power wires to the main board and one set to the daughter board.

They sell for $59.95, but due to demand, they are very hard to get right now. Expect up to a month to get one. Call EPBO for more info or visit their website @ www.e-paintballoutlet.com

Conclusion:
They aren't really better than a WAS board, but they definitely are just as good. One might call them the poor-man's WAS board. They are a great alternative for only 60$ though. Once EPBO can start selling them in bulk again, and if you don't already have WAS, or have a stock board or a Vision board, it would be a great board to pick up.

CS Manual

Many thanks to toothpastedog.

ANARCHY OT
Intimidator Owners Group

Last edited by Bowser45 : 03-31-2006 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:07 PM   #6
Bowser45
Beast ***e

Many people don't know this but, the B2K4 boards will work in the Impulse if you can modify them to fit inside of the trigger frame.

So, here is some information on the Chaos and NOX boards.

NOX Board

Seven Firing Modes:

Semi Unlimited (NPPL legal)
Capped Semi
PSP 3 Ball Burst: three semi, then three shots per pull, after one second idle, return to three semi
NXL STYLE: three semi, then full auto, after one second idle, return to three semi
Millenium: three semi, ramp to rof, after one second idle, return to three
semi
Programmable Ramp: semi until adjustable ramp starting point is reached,
then rof scaled by adjustable ramp rate until rof is reached.
Training

Three Eye Modes:

Delay Shot
Forced Shot
Bypassed

Other Adjustable Features:

Dwell
Adaptive Trigger Debounce
Eye Delay
Mechanical Debounce
FSDO (first shot drop)
Ramp Starting Point
Ramp Rate
ROF
Fine ROF
Bypass ROF
Tournament Lock Toggle Switch
Can program board without opening grip
Energy Efficient
Low battery indicator
Smooth chop free operation even at extreme rates of fire

The manual can be found here.

Vaporworks 2K4 Chaos Board

This board is great. It is easy to adjust, fast, and easy to install. Here all the specs because words cannot explain how good this boards is. If you can get one for your gun if they make one. Its the greatest board ever.

Presets

1 - Conservative (Semi, 13bps, Dwell of 10ms, debounce 7, 6ms AE Delay, Drop shot after timer) – Most likely to work in most situations.
2 - Normal (Semi, 14bps, Dwell of 8ms, debounce 7, 5ms AE Delay, Drop shot after timer) – A bit faster, should usually work, though.
3 - Fast (Semi, 16bps, Dwell of 8ms, debounce 7, 4ms AE Delay, Drop shot after timer) – Expects a bit faster hopper.
4 - Extreme (Semi, 18bps, Dwell of 6ms, debounce 5, 4ms AE Delay, Drop shot after timer) – Expects a halo.

MODE

1 – Semi – One shot, one pull. The only mode allowed in most tourneys and on most fields for that matter.
2 – Turbo – Alternating one shot, two shot.
3 – Auto response – One shot per pull, and one shot per release.
4 - Full Auto – Will continue firing at the maximum rate of fire until trigger is released.

ROF

Rate of fire ranges from 9bps to Unlimited Rof. With unlimited the markers ROF will only be limited by how fast the eye detect paint. If your hopper feeds at 25 bps, your marker will fire that fast.

DWELL

Dwell is the for forward “on” time for the solenoid. This controls how long the valve will stay open and bolt will stay forward.

Debounce

When switches close, the contacts tend to bounce apart rapidly several times before coming to rest. Filtering out the bounces is called debouncing. The lower debounce setting you use the more “switch bounce” the board will pick up.

After-Eye Delay

his is how long the board will wait after the eyes detect paint before it allows the bolt to close. It’s generally better to have a longer delay so you decrease the odds of chopping paint.

EYE TIMER MODE

Drop shot after timer – Marker will not fire unless it detects paint. This is the mode most people will want to use.
Fire after timer – The marker will slow it’s ROF to 4bps when no paint is detected.

SCOPE MODE

1 – SCOPE mode A – The marker does not check eye status after a ball has loaded
2 - SCOPE mode B – The marker checks eye status after a ball has loaded. This is the most chop proof setting.

1 Blink

Presets

1 - Conservative (Semi, 13bps, Dwell of 10ms, debounce 7, 6ms AE Delay, Drop shot after timer)
2 - Normal (Semi, 14bps, Dwell of 8ms, debounce 7, 5ms AE Delay, Drop shot after timer)
3 - Fast (Semi, 16bps, Dwell of 8ms, debounce 7, 4ms AE Delay, Drop shot after timer)
4 - Extreme (Semi, 18bps, Dwell of 6ms, debounce 5, 4ms AE Delay, Drop shot after timer) 2 Blinks

MODE

1 - Semi
2 - Turbo
3 - Autoresponse
4 - Full Auto
3 Blinks

ROF

1 - 20/UL
2 - 18
3 - 16
4 - 14
5 - 13
6 - 12
7 - 10
8 - 9 4 Blinks

DWELL

1 - 6
2 - 8
3 - 10
4 - 12
5 - 14
6 - 16
7 - 18
8 - 20

5 Blinks

Debounce

1 - 1 (very fast debounce return, meaning likely bounce shots)
2 - 2
3 - 3
4 - 4
5 - 5
6 - 6
7 - 7
8 - 8 (extremely slow debounce return, should eliminate any bounce shots)

6 Blinks

After-Eye Delay

1 - eye bypassed
2 - 0
3 - 1
4 - 2
5 - 3
6 - 4
7 – 5
8 - 6
7 Blinks

EYE TIMER MODE

1 - Drop shot after timer
2 - Fire after timer
8 Blinks

SCOPE MODE

1 – SCOPE mode A – The marker does not check eye status after a ball has loaded
2 - SCOPE mode B – The marker checks eye status after a ball has loaded

ANARCHY OT
Intimidator Owners Group

Last edited by Bowser45 : 03-30-2006 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:21 PM   #7
ataylor91
ataylor91

hey how much trouble is it to modifiy the impulse for the chaos or nox
Old 03-31-2006, 05:38 AM   #8
Bowser45
Beast ***e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor91
hey how much trouble is it to modifiy the impulse for the chaos or nox
IDK, one of the techs at my local shop said it could be done.

ANARCHY OT
Intimidator Owners Group
Old 03-31-2006, 01:12 PM   #9
ataylor91
ataylor91

ok thanks man, i will go up to my local shop and ask
Old 04-01-2006, 07:35 AM   #10
Team Chokepoint
Exit Wounds @ pbn

Send a message via AIM to Team Chokepoint
Nice post, its been awhile since anyone contributed anything big here. I miss TPD

Rockin the Alien Interceptor: Because winning is more fun. Predator - Be the Hunter.

Alien forum - now available on pbr.

Trust +29 / -0
Team Chokepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 07:45 AM   #11
Yakb0
ROOOOAAARRRR

Send a message via AIM to Yakb0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Chokepoint
Nice post, its been awhile since anyone contributed anything big here. I miss TPD
Every so often, I think about writing up a guide to buying an Impulse...

because not every Impulse has things that we take for granted now on an electro; like a vertical adapter.
Yakb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 07:40 AM   #12
Team Chokepoint
Exit Wounds @ pbn

Send a message via AIM to Team Chokepoint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakb0
like a vertical adapter.

Yes, you should definately do that.

Rockin the Alien Interceptor: Because winning is more fun. Predator - Be the Hunter.

Alien forum - now available on pbr.

Trust +29 / -0
Team Chokepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 09:47 AM   #13
Bowser45
Beast ***e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakb0
Every so often, I think about writing up a guide to buying an Impulse...

because not every Impulse has things that we take for granted now on an electro; like a vertical adapter.
I think that is a good idea. The Impulse Forum needs more guides and popularity. That will be a great start.

ANARCHY OT
Intimidator Owners Group