pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > General Forums > Off Topic > Religion / Philosophy

Old 11-03-2004, 05:38 PM   #1
Bellator_Fortus
ruler of the moon!

If a person is born without senses...

This is a question that came in my mind a good while back. I was intrigued by it, and even more with the question that followed.

If a person is born without the ability to sense his or her surrounding environment, then can that person think at all?

Without something about which to think, a person has no ground, no experience, no memory on which to rest any thoughts. That person cannot detect a thing that exists. To that person, nothing, not even that person's self, exists.

Now the second question.

It is socially accepted by most Christians that God is the creator of everything and that therefore He is, timewise, before everything. How can this be so?

If God is a thing that thinks, and God is before everything that exists, then God cannot really think. Is God a thing that thinks, or is God automated (assuming that this God does exist)? If God is not a thing that thinks, then how can God love?
Old 11-03-2004, 06:04 PM   #2
Kida2

Send a message via Yahoo to Kida2
its a verry interesting question and has valad points,
i particularly like the "omnipotent", "omniscient", "infailable"

if god knows everything past present and future, and can not be wrong then god can not change any of it, making god not all porwerfull...........or god can change things because god is all powerfull but that means that god is either not infailable or not omniscient...............

most christians i know answere the question with "he just is". but a friend of mine put it this way..........the true nature of god is beyond our capability to comprehend so we do the best we can to try and understand....in other words......try to teach a 3 year old trgonometry and see what happens
Old 11-06-2004, 04:54 AM   #3
Bellator_Fortus
ruler of the moon!

I have developed further into my question. An additional query has intrigued me.

I now know why a person can't think without the memory of senses. Senses are required to think. Whatever thought may come up in a person's mind, that person must think of it by either sight, sound, taste, smell, touch, or whatever to provide a connotation for the thought. Even abstract ideas must be thought using the senses.

In Descartes's meditations, he eliminates use of the senses in order to find absolute truth. He says that by thinking, he must exist, because he is a thing that thinks. However, thinking requires senses. By mentally stating, "I think, therefore I am," he is using either his auditory senses in creating that statement, or perhaps visual senses as though he is reading it. So was Descartes taking the right step in his proving our existence?
Old 11-06-2004, 06:12 AM   #4
Crime Dog
Legend

Send a message via AIM to Crime Dog
You're trying to apply fallible, finite thoughts/philosophies to an infallible/infinite being/existence. Doesn't translate...so it really can't be answered. The finite cannot grasp fully, the infinite, nor the fallible, the infallible.

Interesting thoughts, but hypotheticals really are just that...hypothetical, and therefore, for the most part...impractical and pointless.

No offense meant. *shrugs*
Old 11-06-2004, 02:34 PM   #5
ICE COLD666
not a functioning member

Send a message via AIM to ICE COLD666
that blew my mind
- Ice Cold666
I am Confucious
- Ice Cold666
Old 11-08-2004, 03:08 PM   #6
comando345
READ A BOOK!

Send a message via AIM to comando345 Send a message via Yahoo to comando345
Well technically Helen Keller had some senses, but as I recall she could neither hear nor see. Pretty much all thought is based on hearing and sight.
Quote:
by Teamcompound
People think this is some sort of Jihad or something. Make a ton of stupid posts, get banned, and sit at the right hand side of Andrew and get 10 virgins.