pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Specific Marker Forums > Smart Parts > Ion / Epiphany / EOS / Vibe

Old 04-09-2006, 11:49 AM   #1
Ebonclaw
Registered Member

wanting to run Co2 on an Ion? Read this!

So you don't live in civilization where there's a place to get an HPA tank filled? Or you're too broke after buying your new toy to afford a tank for the time being? So you want to run co2? There's a few things to insure you do it properly. Yes, you can do it, but it's been met with mixed results.

#1. The Ion can technically speaking be run on NON Anti-siphoned (A/S) Co2. BUT, the first time you suck in liquid into you gun, from either too cold weather, excess rapid firing, or simply tilting the gun downwards and firing. Sooner or later, probably sooner, you're going to destroy your solenoid doing this. So don't do it. ALWAYS use an A/S tank.
#2. Co2 will not allow your gun to perform to its entire potential, in other words, get ready to experience greater amounts of velocity fluctuation and dropoff. Initially, on A/S Co2, the gun will behave relatively normally. But under a lot of firing, or once again in bad weather, expect dropoff. When the tank starts getting cold, it means you're firing too much and you can expect some dropoff, but thanks to the A/S you won't kill your gun.
#3. If you are going to be permanently stuck with Co2, there is one thing you can do to make your situation more favorable. Replace the reg with a legendary Palmer Stabilizer. This a chunky $100 upgrade, but it's the best reg out there for Co2, period, and will help keep velocity flucation down, guard against dropoff, and insure that any liquid Co2 that makes it past the A/S doesn't make it to the solenoid.

So long story short, you can do it, but you'll degrade your performance, so if you can avoid it, do so.

"Accuracy by volume is still accuracy nonetheless."
Ebonclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:13 PM   #2
therron258

Send a message via AIM to therron258 Send a message via Yahoo to therron258
Also, make sure the A/S is installed for YOUR ASA because if not, it could be pointing downward and just suck up all the liquid..

Gladiatus.
http://s7.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=133713
therron258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 01:13 PM   #3
BBrungs

would a remote work better then an A/S?

will build webpages for money/gear!! Email me for details: theaxis.diii@gmail.com
BBrungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 01:51 PM   #4
Ebonclaw
Registered Member

It's arguable. I tend to say yes, but most people really don't like remotes. If you find yourself wanting to use one, it has the same effect as an anti-siphon. Just make sure you don't run a remote on an anti-siphon tank, otherwise you'll siphon only liquid.

Old 04-09-2006, 01:57 PM   #5
BBrungs

yea made that mistake before and busted a remote... silly me :/

will build webpages for money/gear!! Email me for details: theaxis.diii@gmail.com
BBrungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 01:58 PM   #6
nick_reith
is heb

Send a message via ICQ to nick_reith Send a message via AIM to nick_reith Send a message via MSN to nick_reith Send a message via Yahoo to nick_reith
Yes and no... in cold weather no it won't be better because the co2 will get could inside the line (similar to the radiator in your car). And the co2 will begin to turn to liquid inside the remote. This is why sometime you will see people run there remote line down there sleeve.

But in warm weather the remote will work fine. I just don't like them because they hinder manueverability.

Own a spyder or ion? Want some general paintball info? For techinical help for spyders/ions be sure to visit www.nicksdistortion.com
So you go to HustlePaintball.com and buy an Angel paintball gun. Why? Because Hustle is cheaper, better and they have the Hustle Hotties.
AIM = nickr6388 Yahoo IM = nickr6388 ICQ = 473516658MSN = nickr6388@hotmail.com Myspace = Myspace.com/pbrnick
Proto Matrix 6 Bob Long Intimidator Spyder Imagine
nick_reith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 05:36 PM   #7
TheSpy11
I see you...

If you want to know what an anti-siphon is and what it does, check out the stickies in the Air Systems forum: Ultimate Sticky. In particular, check out the FAQ thread: Link. Of course the Search function is always available for use if you have further questions.

In comparison to blowback guns on A/S Co2, a stock Ion performs very well. Consistency is very good for a gun running on A/S Co2, and it is certainly much more consistent than stock blowbacks. Shoot-down is also minimized because the stock regulator flows well enough to keep up with the Ion's speed most of the time.

If you want to ask a specific question to an Ion user running A/S Co2, shoot me a PM. I'll be glad to help you.
9/11, OK City, 7/7, and more - attacks on freedom
from our own government

Last edited by TheSpy11 : 04-10-2006 at 05:39 PM.
TheSpy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:59 PM   #8
$^^@r+ P@r+$
non-registered user

Send a message via AIM to $^^@r+ P@r+$ Send a message via Yahoo to $^^@r+ P@r+$
I currenly have a tippman A-5 w/ responsive trigger. I was wanting to get an Ion but I was not sure since all I have availible is CO2.... My question is does the anti siphon tube take away any performance (ex. will it still get 17 bps)

tyvm.... $^^@r+ P@r+$
Old 04-11-2006, 07:15 PM   #9
Ebonclaw
Registered Member

No. There's only a gain in performance to be had with A/S.....better consistency and arguably efficiency.

Old 04-17-2006, 10:27 PM   #10
trivisual
Trivisual Studios

Send a message via AIM to trivisual Send a message via MSN to trivisual
where can i get a A/S tank

Smart Parts Ion - Crossfire 68/4500RED - Odyssey Halo B - SP Q-Lock - SP 360 QEV - SP Freak Jr. Kit - Deadly Wind Foehn - SP Firebolt - Trinity 06 Slim Grip - SP Angle Drop - SP Dovetail Adapter - Virtue Ion Board - Virtue Laser Eye Board - NDZ Roller Trigger - Membrane/LED Relocation Mod - Stripped/Polished Frame

Spyder E-Xtra - Backup -

AIM: trivisualstudios
trivisual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:19 AM   #11
nerdcore
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by trivisual
where can i get a A/S tank
Buy any co2 tank then take it to a pro shop & ask to get it anti-siphoned. What they'll do is attach a curved brass or copper tube on the inside of the tank valve & line it up with whatever asa you'll be using. Works kinda like the breathing-through-bamboo-in-the-pond trick.

Honestly, if you don't have money for an hpa tank or don't have access to hpa fills, don't get an Ion. Or any other gun that is best used with hpa.

Last edited by nerdcore : 04-18-2006 at 09:42 AM.
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:44 AM   #12
trivisual
Trivisual Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdcore
Buy any co2 tank then take it to a pro shop & ask to get it anti-siphoned. What they'll do is attach a curved brass or copper tube on the inside of the tank valve & line it up with whatever asa you'll be using. Works kinda like the breathing-through-bamboo-in-the-pond trick.
how much does this cost about?

Smart Parts Ion - Crossfire 68/4500RED - Odyssey Halo B - SP Q-Lock - SP 360 QEV - SP Freak Jr. Kit - Deadly Wind Foehn - SP Firebolt - Trinity 06 Slim Grip - SP Angle Drop - SP Dovetail Adapter - Virtue Ion Board - Virtue Laser Eye Board - NDZ Roller Trigger - Membrane/LED Relocation Mod - Stripped/Polished Frame

Spyder E-Xtra - Backup -

Old 04-18-2006, 09:43 AM   #13
nerdcore
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by trivisual
how much does this cost about?
Should cost no more than $15 for parts & labor total.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:45 PM   #14
trivisual
Trivisual Studios

thank you very much

Spyder E-Xtra - Backup -

Old 04-21-2006, 06:11 PM   #15
PaintPro1032

ok...as you can see i already have N2 and a good gun..but ive been looking at a new back up gun (replace tippmann) and the ions are down to 199 now!! my problem is i only get HPA when i go to the field and i like to play woodsball in backyard too...and i olny have 1 HPA tank so i tend to use CO2 on my backup...and i was wondering if CO2 could permatly ruin your gun at all ..like soo bad that you couldnt use it...and if yes..how ???

P.S. if u get hpa...get crossfire

Autococker 05' Prostock
VL Revoulution Hopper
WPG feedneck ( same as on Karni )
68ci 4500 Psi. Crossfire tank
Check it Products Unimount
14" Freak All American
E2 coming soon

Back up: Tippmann 98
PaintPro1032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 06:27 PM   #16
Fastlight

not sure if this is where we are supposed to be asking and answering questions like that here, but. Yes you could permantly ruin your gun. Or permant enough where you have to go buy new parts. LIke the solenoid. And just cause you have a anti siphon tube does not mean you will not freeze parts. Co2 get cold when you shoot really fast. That leads to freezing, then condesation, that leads to electronics getting wet....not good.

Have you forgotten about 9/11. I haven't.
NEVER FORGET!
Fastlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 11:22 AM   #17
Ebonclaw
Registered Member

Yes, Co2 can ruin your gun, but that's why you A/S the tank and take precautions. SP designed the gun to be able to handle properly run A/S Co2.
By taking precations, A/S Co2 is safe to run on an Ion without ruining it, but playing with Co2 in cold weather (under 50*) is asking for some trouble regardless.

Old 05-04-2006, 10:36 AM   #18
BBoyTactic

Would getting an expansion chamber help too? I already have an anti-siphoned tank for my Ion. If it would, what are some good ones, or will any expansion chamber fit on an Ion?
BBoyTactic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:35 AM   #19
GranDream
This is the Final Cut

Send a message via AIM to GranDream
No, you want a regulator. The stock regulator can handle it, but if you want to go the extra distance, you can get a Palmers Stabilizer as stated above.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:40 PM   #20
BBoyTactic

Can someone estimate how fast you'd need to fire a stock Ion with A/S CO2 to wreck your gun?

Personally, I've never walked a trigger before (always used rentals up til now) so if I keep it on semi, I should be fine, right?
BBoyTactic is offline   Reply With Quote