pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Specific Marker Forums > MacDev

Old 06-07-2006, 01:28 PM   #1
Tabris17
Super Moderator

07 Red Valve

Alright, this baby just came out about a week ago from Macdev and mine came in just now from PBK. The Red Valve is a valve designed for better cycling in all Cyborg markers and is interchangable between all markers. The 06 Cyborg comes with the old version of the red valve but the 07 Red valve is slightly different.
The poppet is not metal, it's delrin. Not a delrin cap with a metal shaft, ALL delrin for extremely fast cycling times. This means reduced dwell and lpr pressure, especially when used in conjunction with the PBK light weight ram kit and snakeskin bolt. The snakeskin is currently delayed do to machining issues but I have the lightweight ram which is delrin with a stainless steel core and a lighter poppet spring. It should be more then enough to get the point across of what this fairly cheap upgrades can do.
When I have time tonight or tomorrow I will be taking pictures of everything and posting them up so you can all see how the 06 Borg looks and comes apart and also comparisons to the stock parts to the new parts I have put in. Also I hope to get a video up from when I play this weekend, at the very least when I get back a video of me shooting the Borg in my yard just to show you the performance.

PBR Feedback +26/-0
PBN Feedback +9/-0
IOG Feedback +5/-0

Last edited by Tabris17 : 06-07-2006 at 01:31 PM.
Tabris17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:50 PM   #2
Tabris17
Super Moderator

Okay, I got the valve in today and I have pics. This is for the 06 Cyborg only, the 04/05 and Sonic cyborg will differ slightly since those use an airline and the 06 does not. First, set up a work area and grab your allen keys and oddly enough a pen or something pen sized and smooth; more on that later. Set your Cyborg on the work area and get ready.

Next, remove your eye covers and set those aside. Then unscrew the lpr and remove the spacer, spring, and poppet valve; this is the old poppet valve so you can just set that aside as it's going bye-bye. Next remove the bolt then unscrew the ram cap and remove the ram body. The ram should come out with the ram body. Set that aside. Next, unscrew your Gladiator reg as this will make things much easier to work with.

Now, remove your grips totally and then take out the battery. This is so the battery doesn't flop out back and forth and get in the way. Now, CAREFULLY unplug the middle connector from the board. It's a red/black wire and this is the solenoid wire. Only unplug the MIDDLE one. - - X - - The middle one, see? Yeah, want to drive that home. You can unplug the others but remember where they go, I actually put a little mark with a sharpy on my plugs. From one dot to five dots in descending order so I know where they plug into. After you unplug the noid wire, carefully pull out the eyes from the body and then remove the two grip frame screws and pull it away slowly from the body. This should be the end result.

Flip the body over and look at the underside. You will see there are no airlines what so ever. The noid rests on a small metal plate toward the back of the body this is the manifold, remove the screw toward the back of the plate and set it aside. Now, hold the body and place both thumbs on the side of the plate. The front of your gun should be to your left when you do this. Push on the plate, you may have to do it hard, but the plate should pivot to expose the brass screw under the noid. DO NOT REMOVE THE NOID OR ATTEMPT TO FOR ANY REASON IF YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW TO SAFELY.

Now, remove the brass screw. Don't push the allen in all the way or you'll be resting in the valve groove. Remove the screw and set it aside. Now, grab your pen or something similiar and push it through the back side of the body until you hit the valve and push. This will be enough to dislodge the old valve until it comes out the front of the body. Set the old valve aside.
Now, take the new valve body, not the poppet, and lube the o-rings and place a thin coating on the body itself to help slide it in. The flat end with the hole goes in first, the recessed end should be facing toward the lpr, do not do it the other way. Place the valve into the opening and make sure the recessed screw hole (it's not threaded just recessed) is on top and will line up with the brass screw. Do not have the open hole lined up with the screw hole, that hole is for airflow. Now push the valve in once you're set, I had to smack mine lightly to get it in as it got hung up on the lip of the marker at the end of the threads. Don't smack it right in though or you'll drag the o-rings over the threads.
Take your pen and push the valve all the way back into place until the recessed screw hole lines up with the screw hole in the body. Once in place screw the brass screw back into place and make sure it's secure. Then rotate the manifold plate back into place and replace the screw that was holding it down. Congratulations! You've installed the new 07 Red valve. Just place the delrin poppet back into place one the valve is installed, I lubed mine a bit, then put everything back together. Very simple and very easy. Took me about 20-25 minutes roughly since I had never done this before.

This is a pic comparison of the two valves. The old poppet and valve is on the left, the new 07 red valve is on the right. Note that the 07 poppet is a bit shorter and made entirely out of delrin. Also, the 07 Red valve is recessed where the poppet rests where as the old one is flat on both ends.

Now since this effects the performance of the red valve here is the PBK light weight delrin ram and poppet spring. The PBK ram and spring is on top and the stock one is on the bottom. The PBK spring is slightly longer but much much lighter; if used with the stock poppet it has a hard time closing fully sometimes because the spring is so light. With the new 07 red valve and poppet you will have no problems.
The ram itself is delrin with a steel core for strength and also has one less o-ring then the stock brass ram. There is a very large difference in weight and will also result in smoother operation with less kick. Try pushing the bolt forward after you install the valve and light weight ram, you won't hear that metal 'ting' anymore as the valve opens. You should just hear the detent springs and also the bolt pin hitting the body but nothing else. That's it! Watch the Borg rip faster then before and with a lower lpr and dwell.

PBR Feedback +26/-0
PBN Feedback +9/-0
IOG Feedback +5/-0

Last edited by Tabris17 : 06-08-2006 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:42 PM   #3
V1nn`/
Epic [E-po-k] Member

Send a message via AIM to V1nn`/

Subliminal message of the devil on the belated 6/6/6 celebration? Plausable. Also notice that the United States is colored in a orange/red color; another sign of the devil? I believe so.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:38 PM   #4
Tabris17
Super Moderator

I think it just means it's rather hot across the US. Being June and all.

PBR Feedback +26/-0
PBN Feedback +9/-0
IOG Feedback +5/-0
Old 06-09-2006, 10:30 AM   #5
ShOtUp
Whats this box 4?

totally unrelated (good job on the walkthru by the way)
but that is one sexy beast of a cyborg
Originally Posted by ikey View Post
ion banjo fittings are the invention of the devil.
ShOtUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 05:11 PM   #6
DirtyBirdy51

Send a message via AIM to DirtyBirdy51
another great addition to the cyborg forum tabris. top notch work.
DirtyBirdy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 05:34 PM   #7
Tabris17
Super Moderator

I would hope so considering I'm like the only person on pbr anymore that has a cyborg. And what's this 06 Ego fund in your sig Dirty? You hurt me with that... $60 more gets you an 06 Borg.

PBR Feedback +26/-0
PBN Feedback +9/-0
IOG Feedback +5/-0
Old 06-10-2006, 01:04 PM   #8
DirtyBirdy51

arent borgs ~800 though? my top 3 choices for the next gun that i'll be getting, once i sell my P.O.S. Ion, are in this order...

Ego6
06 Borg
PM6

i like the ego becuase i think i'll feel more popular...more AGG, if you will, if i have one. i also like how it can be customize with colors, i/e/ the CCU kits, etc. also they have a great re-sale value, and are the lightest guns on the market. and i like posting in the PE forums.

the borg is my second choice only becuase it cant be contrasted with a CCU like kit. if a place like PBK came out with a near white gloss color, metal parts for my eyecovers, feedneck, lpr, etc. i would defenitly re-think my options.

the only reason why i like the PM is becuase it was the first high end that i ever wanted. they also look sick in olive.

but as a little compensation for your sadness tabris, every time i see a sweet, sweet, cyborg, i always thing, would i be making the right decision if i bought the ego?

*Hint Hint*
car to post more pics or that vid like you said you would tabris???
[/hint]
Old 06-10-2006, 01:19 PM   #9
Tabris17
Super Moderator

I play tomorrow, if I have a chance to make a video I will. My buddy that filmed last time is actually playing with me this time so no camera man and his dad taped over the video before we could get at it last time. So at the very least I want to make a film of me shooting it in the backyard.

Maybe I'll have him bring the camera along and I can find somebody with an Ego and we can do a side by side comparison while shooting.

PBR Feedback +26/-0
PBN Feedback +9/-0
IOG Feedback +5/-0

Last edited by Tabris17 : 06-10-2006 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:36 PM   #10
DirtyBirdy51

that'd be helpful, but speed doesnt matter to me. i can pull a consistant 10bps easy. the highest i ever reached was 12 or 13. but when i go to play the tournies, or at my indoor speedball joint during the winter, i'll have what ever gun im using set at the legal 15bps ramping.

i've given up on the speed factor a while ago. the things that i look for in a gun now are things like weight, efficiency, looks, and resale value. using the 3 guns that i mentioned a post ago, the ego, borg, and proto, the ego would win 3 out of the four catagories, they would be weight, looks, and resale. the borg would take effiency (1400 off a 45/45 is pretty sick). also like i said before, the borg and ego would be matched in style if the borg had a contrast kit or something like that.

also, right now i could get a sweet deal on a ego6, i could get a new one for ~200 off
Old 06-10-2006, 02:01 PM   #11
Tabris17
Super Moderator

Actually the Borgs have better long term resale over the Egos. Egos just happen to be popular and in high demand right now, pretty much we're in an Ego craze, which is why they're holding resale so well. And the Borg is very light while loaded up and extremely well balanced, I had Ego users flipping out when they held the Borg.

PBR Feedback +26/-0
PBN Feedback +9/-0
IOG Feedback +5/-0
Old 06-10-2006, 02:32 PM   #12
DirtyBirdy51

youre in connecticut right tabris? what field do you play at? im in RI so if youre not to far away, I might come down some time and see if your there. i'll bring my back-up phirana R6 and you'll have your borg. 1v1, we'll see who wins

but seriously, if youre close, i might drop by and see if i can find you
Old 06-10-2006, 02:44 PM   #13
Tabris17
Super Moderator

I play at Hogan's Alley in Meriden. I'm playing tomorrow and then I'm playing on the 25th of this month. Can't really miss me, I'm tall and have the only blue 06 Cyborg... heck, it's the only 06 Cyborg at that field I think.

PBR Feedback +26/-0
PBN Feedback +9/-0
IOG Feedback +5/-0
Old 06-10-2006, 02:57 PM   #14
DirtyBirdy51

i just looked at the mapy thing on the front page and hogans alley is 60.13 miles from me, and i dont have a car. we'll i guess that wheh it comes down to me making my decision i'll visit you.

now, off to xbox live for the first time in 5 months GT: DiRty BiRDy 51x

Thx Tabris
Old 06-11-2006, 05:34 PM   #15
kylec

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBirdy51
my top 3 choices for the next gun that i'll be getting, once i sell my P.O.S. Ion, are in this order...

Ego6
06 Borg
PM6

i like the ego becuase i think i'll feel more popular...more AGG, if you will, if i have one. i also like how it can be customize with colors, i/e/ the CCU kits, etc. also they have a great re-sale value, and are the lightest guns on the market. and i like posting in the PE forums.

the borg is my second choice only becuase it cant be contrasted with a CCU like kit. if a place like PBK came out with a near white gloss color, metal parts for my eyecovers, feedneck, lpr, etc. i would defenitly re-think my options.

the only reason why i like the PM is becuase it was the first high end that i ever wanted. they also look sick in olive.
While I am definately a fan of the 06 ego (buddy has one, I used to own heavily upped 05 ego), it would have to be at least a nexus for me to trade my 06 borg for one. IMO the only things the ego has over the borg is popularity and upgrades. Personally I'm not a huge fan of having the same thing as everybody else and the borg has all the necessary upgrades one will need. The ego has a lot more upgrades, but a large number of them are just going to effect looks, not performance.

If you really do want to get you agg on, you could always send your eye covers, top of reg, lpr cap, ram cap, feedneck, whatnot to a place and get them annodized. For small pieces like that, unless you wanted some really crazy colors, it shouldn't be much more than you'll pay for the CCU kit for the ego. Plus instead of being a kit off a shelf, it will be custom annodized parts (ie better resale value). Or you could be sweet like me and blow up your gun, breaking your 90* asa. Then get one from a Jersey Ranjerz borg to replace it since PBK was out of stock. That's my CCU kit. (Note: blowing up guns is not sweet, in all reality is sucked really, really bad)

The 06 borg is just lighter than some egos, as light as most, and heavier than the SL66 and 06 Nexus. But it is quieter, more efficient, and has less kick than about every ego unless heavily upgraded. Even then, with the recent upgrades released for the cyborg it will be getting even better. BTW, I enjoy posting in the PE forums as well. Just because you own a cyborg doesn't mean you can't still post.

Since I am already on the topic, I like the PM6 as well. Great gun, but more maintenance (sp?) than a cyborg. When I go out I need a gun that I know will work. The cyborg (ego would also apply) is that gun. Not that DMs and PMs go down a lot, but they go down more frequently than other guns. Somewhere down the line I might get another one (owned a heavily upped PM5), but only if I have another gun for a back up that I can rely on more if it goes down.

Sorry for the long post, I type a lot. Also consider how agg it is when a bunch of people at the field come over to see what kind of gun you are shooting, because there aren't already 10 of them there.
kylec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 06:59 PM   #16
Tabris17
Super Moderator

Well I used the Borg today, sorry no pics or movies yet again, and it performed nicely. My Gladiator finally settled in toward the end of the day and the only mishap I had was I unscrewed my Glad during a game part way so balls literally were rolling out of the barrel. So I had to screw it back in and still had the same problem but after a minute of making sure it was tight and doing clearing shtos it was all good. Totally my fault but weird that it happened.
Performed nicely was more quiet then before because of the new valve and ram, very little kick too. Though I think I need to work it in a bit more, didn't get my lpr below 55-50, where it was before, but no biggy. I think once the poppet spring wears in a bit I'll be able to lower the lpr pressure more.

PBR Feedback +26/-0
PBN Feedback +9/-0
IOG Feedback +5/-0