pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Equipment Forums > Air Systems

Old 06-07-2006, 08:14 PM   #1
Tabris17
Super Moderator

Gladiator Breakdown

Alright, I was breaking down the Borg to put in a new valve and I decided since I had my camera I would take a few pics of the Gladiator to give a very quick break down on it.
First and foremost is the reg itself, whole and unscrewed from the ASA of the Borg. As you can see Gladiators are not as long as they seem.

Next is the two halves seperated. The top half is the spring stack and the bottom is the reg seat and everything else. I didn't take any pictures of it to show the reg seat since I didn't have to clean that part but there is a small red plug in it; that's the reg seat. Also, the adjustment hex is at the bottom of the reg right near the elbow. A bit of a pain because of where it is yes but a good reg over all. The reg on the X-fighter$ Cyborg actually has a round bottom and put the hex on the side; I haven't heard anything about this bottom being released seperately as a replacement though so we're all stuck with this kind of setup.

Next, the spring stack. Mine were really gummy with old lube, probably why I wasn't getting the best consistancy. You can see all the old lube on it. Just wipe this off and the springs will be able to move freely then just relube the rings and put a bit on the stack. Don't pull the stem out of the pistons unless you know the order of the springs or you can keep them in order when you remove the stem. I've found out that the stem should be lightly lubed as well just a bit.

And finally the top half with the spring stack removed. Very simple.

That's pretty much it. I'll take a pic of the reg seat next time I have to clean the reg but until then it's a start.

PBR Feedback +26/-0
PBN Feedback +9/-0
IOG Feedback +5/-0

Last edited by Tabris17 : 06-10-2006 at 02:46 PM.
Tabris17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:03 AM   #2
DirtyBirdy51

Send a message via AIM to DirtyBirdy51
sticky? or at least ultimate sticky?
DirtyBirdy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 05:48 PM   #3
LAMANTEthePBguy
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to LAMANTEthePBguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBirdy51
ultimate sticky?
Why not?
LAMANTEthePBguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:55 PM   #4
Tabris17
Super Moderator

Probably one of the few people on here that has a Gladiator reg.

PBR Feedback +26/-0
PBN Feedback +9/-0
IOG Feedback +5/-0
Old 06-17-2006, 01:20 PM   #5
Uziel Gal
Legend

I have owned (and still do) a 2002 Gladiator (later upgraded to 2003 specs), a 2004 Gladiator, as well as a 2003 Conquest, and a few marker bits.

I may not own a Cyborg, but I've been using MacDev regulators before the Cyborg was introduced!

The 2002/3 Gladiator was actually very different from the 2004 style Gladiator found on the Cyborg, using a modified pin valve mechanism, rather than the gas-thru piston design that it currently uses. I guess that it deserves a mention in it's own right.

It is unusual in that it reverses the pin and piston arrangement, with the piston pressing down on the pin, which is mounted at the bottom of the reg. This places the spring tension adjustment towards the top of the reg, and the gas input at the bottom - again, the reverse of a normal pin valve controlled regulator: -

2002 Gladiator assembled.

First step in disassembly is to remove the end cap.

The plastic valve seat seal can then be pulled out of the end cap, releasing the valve pin and pin spring.

Switching to the regulator body, you can now look at the end of the cylinder and see the brass piston - this one has been modified to include a dimple to help keep the valve pin in alignment. The piston can be pulled out with a pair of pliers.

Removing the piston gives access to the piston spring. This can just be tipped out in to your hand.

Under the piston spring is a large ball bearing. This is part of the adjustment mechanism used to change the spring tension.

Finally, there is a second, smaller, ball bearing. It is this that presses against the larger bearing to place tension on the piston spring. The adjustment screw moves the smaller bearing in or out to move the larger bearing up or down, changing the spring tension.

To service, clean the reg cylinder, piston, piston spring and ball bearings. Grease the small bearing, and drop it in to the body, ensuring that it aligns with the adjustment screw. Grease the large ball bearing, and then drop this in to the cylinder, ensuring that the small bearing remains in place. Grease the piston spring and drop it in, followed by the greased piston.

Then drop the pin spring and pin in to the end cap (there is a depression for the spring to sit in) and then place the reg seat seal over the pin, and press it in to the end cap - keep the face of the seat seal as clean as possible. Then screw the end cap on to the reg body, and you're finished.

Hundred, hundred, hundred bottles on the wall, you wonder if you can drink them all.
Got to go home by 1am, the bottle wins the battle again.
Husker Du - "First of the last calls"
Back when I was popular
Supporting a friend:
HustlePaintball.com for Spyder paintball guns, Dye Markers, WDP Angel 1 and of course the Hustle Hotties.

Last edited by Uziel Gal : 06-17-2006 at 01:23 PM.
Uziel Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 06:30 PM   #6
Tabris17
Super Moderator

Umm, my Gladiator is cooler and more simple then yours? Nya.

PBR Feedback +26/-0
PBN Feedback +9/-0
IOG Feedback +5/-0
Old 06-18-2006, 08:21 AM   #7
Uziel Gal
Legend

And yet, your 2006 Gladiator is no different to my 2004 one..... MacDev resting on their laurels? Surely not?

Anyway? How can you even say it's cool when there are no ball bearings in it???

Hundred, hundred, hundred bottles on the wall, you wonder if you can drink them all.
Back when I was popular
Supporting a friend:
HustlePaintball.com for Spyder paintball guns, Dye Markers, WDP Angel 1 and of course the Hustle Hotties.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:02 PM   #8
Tabris17
Super Moderator

There's one I believe beneath the seat which is in the lower part which I didn't take pictures of. Only because I've heard unless you have problems with the seat, don't touch it so I just played with the spring stack.
Glad to have you back though Uziel. Bring me a pasta dish?

PBR Feedback +26/-0
PBN Feedback +9/-0
IOG Feedback +5/-0
Old 06-18-2006, 12:51 PM   #9
Uziel Gal
Legend

Actually, you're right - not really required by the gas-thru piston regulator design at all, but the 2004 style Gladiator design does place a ball bearing between adjustment screw and the reg seat carrier. I can only assume that it is only there to stop the adjustment screw causing any wear on the bottom of the carrier. Not a functional requirement, but a nice touch anyway.

But hey, two ball bearings must be better than one right?

The 2004 design is also much less dirt sensitive than the 2002/3 model, which is a definite advantage - it's just a little too generic for my tastes, basically the same as a WGP, WDP, CP or Sidewinder reg. Still, a damn good regulator for all that! (and as you know, always on my list of recommended regulators).

ps Which do you prefer Amatriciana or Arriabiata sauce?

Back when I was popular
Supporting a friend:
Old 06-18-2006, 01:52 PM   #10
Tabris17
Super Moderator

Umm, the red sauce?

PBR Feedback +26/-0
PBN Feedback +9/-0
IOG Feedback +5/-0
Old 06-18-2006, 03:08 PM   #11
Uziel Gal
Legend

Not the Carbonara sauce then.....

Back when I was popular
Supporting a friend: