pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Specific Marker Forums > Tippmann

Old 07-11-2006, 10:12 PM   #1
SEAL34
AGGent

Send a message via AIM to SEAL34
Official Upgrade Guide v.2

This thread is for the recreation of the Ultimate Sticky. If anyone has any ideas to add, please feel free to post and let me know. Coenen, when you see this feel free to put it in there.

We all know that there could definitely be a lot less upgrade threads in this forum. Hence the creation of this thread the Ultimate Sticky as a whole. Please consider reading this through before making another thread, we're all tired of them. Thanks.

Tippmann's are some of the most upgradeable markers. GTA accessories are always a good option. Lapco, Wicked Air Sportz, Rufus Dawg and countless other companies make some quality upgrades as well. When upgrading, there is an order in which you want to buy upgrades in. It goes as follows:
  • Barrel
  • Hopper
  • Air System
  • Firepower
  • Everything Else

Here we go folks;

Barrel
A barrel is definitely a key upgrade that you're going to want to get. Tippmann stock barrels are notorious for being some of the worse. Almost every reputible barrel manufacturer makes a barrel with 98 or A5 threads. Barrels range in price and with a higher price usually comes better quality and performance. Keep that in mind. When splurging on upgrades, don't hesitate to spend a little extra on your barrel.

Mid-Range Barrels ($30-$45)
High(er)-End Barrels ($46-$100+)
Hopper
A hopper is good upgrade to lessen your chopping and enable higher ROFs.

Lower-End hoppers (recommended for mech Tippmanns)

High-End hoppers (recommended for RT'd or E-Tippmanns)
A5 Hoppers
Upgrading your A5 hopper really isn't as vital, since it has the Cyclone. If you want more paint capacity however, there are some options:
Air System
For an air system, you can do either C02 or HPA. If you have access to HPA, do it. If not, get your C02 tank anti-siphoned and that will work fine. Instead of explaining all the nitty-gritty of both of these, I'm going to give you a couple helpful links. If you don't know that much about either of these power sources, I would encourage you to check out the Air Systems Ultimate Sticky.

C02
As I said, C02 can work great on Tippmanns. Get your tank ant-siphoned at your local proshop. Some people will recommend an expansion chamber, but I wouldn't. Anti-siphoning your tank is a much better option. An expansion chamber is a waste of money. Instead, you might want to get a regulator. (See below)

HPA
HPA is the better power source. If you're getting an HPA tank for your Tippmann, be sure it is a high pressure, or high output tank. If you have a high output tank, you can just 'plug and play' with HPA. Some brands I would recommend for a compressed air tank are the following:
Regulators
A regulator is a good upgrade for both C02 and HPA setups. It will increase your air efficience when setup right. Regulators range in price and quality just as everything else. With the higher MSRP comes better performance. If you are using a 98C, Custom Pro, or M98, you're going to need a vertical adapter to use most of the regs listed. Below are some reliable regs that I would personally recommend for a Tippmann.
Low Pressure Kits
Some people say that the GTA LPKs aren't worth it for a Tippmann, but if you're looking to have some added efficiency and plan on having your Tippmann for awhile, it might be for you. They are rather expensive most places, but there is a cheaper way. If you have some hands-on experience in modding and have little know-how, here is Natural Newbie's guide to Building Your Own LPK. If that's not for you:
***There are countless other regulators that can be used effectively on Tippmanns. I just listed some of the most commonly seen. If you want something else, search around and read the reviews.

ASAs
Here I would just keep it simple with a CIP Unimount 2 and On/Off combo.
Drops
Drops are completely preference. Instead of linking you to the hundreds available, I'm simply going to send you to Cradles and Drops. Pick one that works right for you, there's plenty to choose from.

Last edited by SEAL34 : 07-11-2006 at 10:15 PM.
SEAL34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:13 PM   #2
SEAL34
AGGent

Firepower
Now the fun begins. Tippmanns aren't the fastest guns out there, but they can definitely pack a punch for blowbacks. Tippmann's unique Response Trigger is an affordable option for those looking to speed up their 'gat with out having to pay a lot. But if you're really looking for some good speed and flexibility in their A5, Custom Pro, or post-2005 98C, I would recommend an E-grip. GTA E-grips come stock with the WAS board now, which is a very good option. Also, there is the APE Rampage board which is almost half the price and comprable in performance.

A5, Custom Pro, and post-2005 98C
Now the E-bolt is Tippmann's original electronic conversion kit, made for the 98C. They're now discontinued, but can still be found in LNIB condition in B/S/T forums at Model98.Org and TippmannOwners.com. There were several kinds of E-bolts made. They are as follows:
  • GTA E-bolt-$115-PBR rating 9.4/10
    Stock it's capped at 13 bps. Although there were some Tippmann Effect boards released for it in very limited amounts, and with a QEV they could reach around 17-18 bps. These are the most commonly found now, and are commonly modded to perform better. More info will be in the PBR E-bolt Sticky.
  • Psycho Ballistics E-Bolt-$100-PBR rating not available
    These are harder to come by. The least of the E-bolt family, not worth getting.
  • BSI E-bolt-$150-PBR rating not available
    These came uncapped stock. They're very hard to come by now, and are very expensive if you do find them.

E-bolts have been and are modded with high-end electronics from Matrixes, Intimidators, and even Egos. For more on this, check out the PBR E-bolt Sticky (coming soon).

Last edited by SEAL34 : 07-12-2006 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:15 PM   #3
SEAL34
AGGent

Everything Else
Here's where you should just do what you feel you need. Cosmetics are completely preference. However, I listed some other accessories that you might want to consider. Enjoi.

Cosmetics
These are completely preference. If you're looking for shrouds, sight rails, stocks, fake mags, etc. I would recommend checking out OpsGear or Spec Ops Paintball. Both have plenty of different styles to suit your every need. As for rec/speed cosmetic upgrades, there's not much to recommend. Tippmanns really aren't that much of an attractive gun, you can mill off your letters and sight rail, paint, etc. but otherwise there's really nothing. Check out the Paintjob Thread if interested.

RVA (Rear Velocity Adjuster)
An RVA is a good upgrade that will make chronoing in much easier.
Alternative Feeds/Feednecks
Trigger
An upgraded trigger can really increase your ROF. It's easier to sweetspot your RT, walk your E-grip, or just shoot a mech Tippmann with a dual trigger. You really can't go wrong here, but I would recommend a metal one or tougher plastic model, such as the GTA double trigger or Dead On blade trigger.
Grips
Aftermarket grips are nice to have to have something more comfortable to hold onto instead of the hard stock grips.
You can also upgrade your foregrip on both the A5 and 98/Custom Pro. Although this shouldn't be one of your first upgrades, is is nice to replace that stock plastic one with a more durable, comfortable metal one like these:

Internals
Aftermarket internals will do nothing performance wise for you. Don't bother. The only one that is proven to work is:
  • Dead On Paintball Pro-Seal Front Bolt and Powertube. A5, 98C
Keep in mind that this should be your very last upgrade aside from cosmetics. Internals in Tippmanns just don't make any significant positive difference. Don't waste your time. Period.

Hope this helps! PM me or post if you think something should be added.

Last edited by SEAL34 : 07-11-2006 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:06 PM   #4
colonelkernel8
Col. Kernel

Dark Horizon Lite Titanium Hammer
Custom Duracoat Paint
Maddman Spring Kit
Dead On Pro-Seal
J&J 12" Ceramic
GTA Expansion Chamber
20oz CO2
colonelkernel8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:06 PM   #5
senghing27
My Spoon is Too Big

Send a message via AIM to senghing27
CCI:OT
senghing27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:20 AM   #6
Coenen
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Coenen Send a message via Yahoo to Coenen
Nicely done. This one will definitely be included in the shiny new Ultimate, not that anyone will READ the newer Ultimate as opposed to the older one, but hey, we can dream can't we?

You mind if I fiddle with this thread a little bit? There were a couple of grammatical things that bothered me, the content is just about perfect though.
Coenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 07:00 AM   #7
Raleigh Allen
Branned

Send a message via AIM to Raleigh Allen
Great! I vote sticky!
Old 07-12-2006, 07:11 AM   #8
SEAL34
AGGent

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelkernel8
Definitely not a worth while upgrade. The only thing I included in the Internals category is the DOP Pro-Seal, the only aftermarket Tippmann internals proven to make a positive difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coenen
Nicely done. This one will definitely be included in the shiny new Ultimate, not that anyone will READ the newer Ultimate as opposed to the older one, but hey, we can dream can't we?

You mind if I fiddle with this thread a little bit? There were a couple of grammatical things that bothered me, the content is just about perfect though.
Huzzah! I know this sounds ridiculous, but if you could just PM me the grammatical errors and I will change them. I forgot to run a spell check last night, as it was way too late to be working on this thing. But I would just rather have "Lasted edited by SEAL34..." Instead of "Lasted edited by Coenen..." for some reason. Maybe it's because I worked so hard on it and usually when things are edited by a mod you assume profanity or 'distasteful' content. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:40 AM   #9
..!..('_')..!..
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ..!..('_')..!..
You Crazy? The Ebolt Prices are way off. If you look in the Review Sectio, The GTA is $295
BSI is $350
Balistics is $300

Just thought you were about $200 off...
..!..('_')..!.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:16 AM   #10
SEAL34
AGGent

I put the prices that you usually find them for. There's not many places to buy them brand new, so I just put the price that the LNIB ones are in BST forums and such.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:29 AM   #11
..!..('_')..!..
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ..!..('_')..!..
Oh. You good, You good. If you need the Pics of an Opened up Stock E-Bolt, there in the Tippmann Problem thread, even labeled...
..!..('_')..!.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 03:19 PM   #12
mshain81
Newb at Heart...

Send a message via AIM to mshain81 Send a message via Yahoo to mshain81
You could include the Underground Mod Shop's A-5 Grip Panels under the GRIPS section. I know a lot of people ask if there are any Dye Sticky Grips for the A5 so this could be an alternative for now.

http://www.pbreview.com/products/reviews/4662/
12" J&J S2 Ceramic
JCS Duel Trigger
Shocktech Drop
Lapco Foregrip
Ricochet Hopper
Spyder TL Plus (Backup)
Shocktech Super Fly Bolt
ESP E-Frame C.A.M.D.
12" Dye Stainless
CP Flame Drop
Dye Sticky Grips