pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > General Marker Forums > High-End Electronic Markers

Old 09-03-2006, 07:03 PM   #1
Zanotam
The One

Exclamation Ion vs Prostock vs Trilogy Competition

Alright those are the markers i'm looking at. The Trilogy is the cheapest and comes with a new mask which i need anyways and some other little goodies. The ion would probably be stock with cheap n2, and wahtever basic mask i could get. The Prostock would come with a small kit and if i got it i'd probalby get some nice n2, and blow the rest of my money on a mask. I love paintball but unless i'm going for the prostock i'll probably play with a very basic un-upgraded set up. I'm a back player and i can get a good amount of paint in the air, but mainly i need good acuracy which is why i'm looking at the prostock because it includes a wpg barrel kit for free.
Zanotam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:32 PM   #2
heysueskreesto2
<3 Monster

Send a message via AIM to heysueskreesto2
i dont really like mechanical trilogies because they shoot so slow and have a little more kick than others (at least my friends does). they sound weird to me too. im not sure about select fire ones though. id go prostock or ion
Old 09-03-2006, 07:33 PM   #3
iridespyder
blah

Go Ion, more bang for your buck.
iridespyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:39 PM   #4
BunkerBoys
A1 Nubsauce

Send a message via AIM to BunkerBoys
No contest, go with the ion.

BunkerBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:01 PM   #5
Zanotam
The One

why's the ion so much better? i mean i've done my research and seems like the ion is mostly hype. if anyone's shot them all and preferably owns them all that owuld be good. and as i said acuracy is the main thing, plus the stupid little led light is nuts if you ask me.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:07 PM   #6
Zanotam
The One

seriously whats so good about the ion. so much hype, but i mean i get enough bps out of a spider, but just need a gun that i can trust at low end tournament lvl s well and ion is good, but not that trustworthy
Old 09-03-2006, 08:15 PM   #7
viks
Anti-fatassism

Depends, what hopper do you have?
Do you have compressed air?
That kinda helps, as well as your price range for everything.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:24 PM   #8
Zanotam
The One

Price range is well...not exact but i atleast can afford the guns themselves. I run an Empire hopper but i don't need anythign more as thats about 15bps or so. I use Co2 but hope on upgarading to Compressed air soon. I also need ot get a new mask pretty soon too.

Last edited by Zanotam : 09-03-2006 at 08:26 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 09-04-2006, 12:28 AM   #9
viks
Anti-fatassism

Hm, well if you decide to get the prostock or ion, Wait untill you get a HPA tank.
If you get them, and run otu of money for some reason, atleast ge teh co2 anti-syphoned(sp)
Old 09-04-2006, 10:32 AM   #10
mugenXP

Send a message via AIM to mugenXP
go with prostock and a nice air tank and a nice mask. upgrade to E2 later = Kick ions butt. don't get an ion and a cheap air tank, cheap mask, not doing anything but wasting your money.

the ion is nice out of the 3 because its electric, but because you will have to buy a cheap air tank and a cheap mask with it, you should take the prostock+nice air tank+nice mask, theres no argument down the line either because a fully upped prostock will shoot better than a fully upped ion. not to mention that the ion has cheap stock parts which will require upgrading as well. stock ion + cheap mask = you wont be able to beat anything, you'd be like comparable to a spyder.

stock e-spyder trigger is better than the stock ion trigger, just to give you an idea of how bad the stock trigger is.

and if you do pick the prostock, you'd shoot less paint than if you had an ion, so you should be able to save up some good $$ for a used E2 down the line. If you chose the ion path, you'd have to worry about upgrading the stock parts(feedneck, trigger, qev, asa), your cheap air tank, and your cheap mask, and its not gonna be cheap, trust me.

edit: now i just read that you said the prostock will come with a barrel kit, thats just a bigger plus to what I just said. and you said you have a empire hopper, (reloader im guessing), that will just be another plus to choosing the prostock path, a reloader+cheap mask+cheap tank+ion vs prostock+reloader+good mask+barrel kit+nice tank. prostock wins in this case, sorry.

Last edited by mugenXP : 09-04-2006 at 10:51 AM.
mugenXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:51 AM   #11
el gato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanotam View Post
why's the ion so much better? i mean i've done my research and seems like the ion is mostly hype. if anyone's shot them all and preferably owns them all that owuld be good. and as i said acuracy is the main thing, plus the stupid little led light is nuts if you ask me.
I own a prostock and i just want to say that if your not going to upgrade it at all go for the ion. you can get an 04 prostock for $190 and an 05 for i think $250 now so the ion is cheaper than the 05 and only $10 more than the 04 prostock. The ion is a good gun ive played with my friends back up ion back when i was getting my prostock drilled for eyes, but the ion is a nice gun. If your going to upgrade your gun go for the prostock with an eblade its already much better than an ion but more expensive and the barrel kit is another reason to go for the prostock. Don't get the trilogy if your still considering it because a with alittle more mone you can get an 04 prostock or an ion.
el gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:53 AM   #12
mugenXP

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gato View Post
I own a prostock and i just want to say that if your not going to upgrade it at all go for the ion.
if you dont plan to upgrade at all, you shouldn't get an ion either. but the prostock will save you money, leaving you with a nice air tank, and a nice mask. nice tank and nice mask is more important than gun(especially if you are comparing a stock ion and a prostock) if you ask me.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:56 AM   #13
el gato

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugenXP View Post
if you dont plan to upgrade at all, you shouldn't get an ion either. but the prostock will save you money, leaving you with a nice air tank, and a nice mask. nice tank and nice mask is more important than gun(especially if you are comparing a stock ion and a prostock) if you ask me.
yes but an ion is still better for him because he is playing back and he would need a gun that would be fast but if he wants a gun that is fast and wouldnt need to be upgraded i think he should consider a promaster but he would still need to buy a mask and tank so i think he should proboly go for the prostock if he wanted a better mask and tank then later add upgrades to his gun.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:00 AM   #14
mugenXP

Quote:
yes but an ion is still better for him because he is playing back and he would need a gun that would be fast
speed isn't anything if you have a cheap mask and a cheap air tank. you don't feel comfortable = you play worse. I rather feel comfortable with my mask and have a nice air tank and play with a prostock with a barrel kit. oh yeah, prostock with a barrel kit will have more chances of being more accurate than an ion also. so speed isn't anything when you have a cheap mask and no barrel kit. but then again, how fast will you be able to shoot with an ion with a reloader? you will be limited to 10 BPS. a prostock being a mech, can shoot 7 BPS, if you want to sacrifice all the stuff I been listing in the previous posts for 3 more BPS, then go with the ion.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:33 AM   #15
BunkerBoys
A1 Nubsauce

Quote:
speed isn't anything if you have a cheap mask and a cheap air tank. you don't feel comfortable = you play worse. I rather feel comfortable with my mask and have a nice air tank and play with a prostock with a barrel kit. oh yeah, prostock with a barrel kit will have more chances of being more accurate than an ion also. so speed isn't anything when you have a cheap mask and no barrel kit. but then again, how fast will you be able to shoot with an ion with a reloader? you will be limited to 10 BPS. a prostock being a mech, can shoot 7 BPS, if you want to sacrifice all the stuff I been listing in the previous posts for 3 more BPS, then go with the ion.
You are making it sound like an ion is trash. Now it seems like YOU'RE being biased. I can understand being comfortable with a mask, but not with a tank. I steely tank will be fine for him. A prostock is too slow and it's a mech. He is better off going with the ion and a stell tank. Then he can upgrade the ion as he wants later on. All the ion really needs is a new feedneck and most likely barrel. The rest is all preference. You can still find a cheap, but good mask for the price. Look into v-force masks.

Old 09-04-2006, 11:37 AM   #16
mugenXP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerBoys View Post
You are making it sound like an ion is trash. Now it seems like YOU'RE being biased. I can understand being comfortable with a mask, but not with a tank. I steely tank will be fine for him. A prostock is too slow and it's a mech. He is better off going with the ion and a stell tank. Then he can upgrade the ion as he wants later on. All the ion really needs is a new feedneck and most likely barrel. The rest is all preference. You can still find a cheap, but good mask for the price. Look into v-force masks.
the ion isn't trash, there are some cases where the ion would be better than the prostock, but in this case, I believe the prostock with a good mask and a nice air tank will be a better choice for him in the short run and the long run, with reasons I listed in the previous posts. all you have to really do is upgrade your prostock afterwards.

if he bought an ion, he'd have to upgrade to a nice air tank, a nice mask, and a barrel kit, as well as the feedneck and trigger.

you are right that a prostock is mech and is slow, but keep in mind he has a reloader hopper.

Last edited by mugenXP : 09-04-2006 at 11:41 AM.
mugenXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:42 AM   #17
BunkerBoys
A1 Nubsauce

Like I said, a steely tank and a v-force mask is much better for him in the long run. He can upgrade the ion as he chooses. All he needs is a decent hopper and he is good to go. I take it he won't be doing tournaments any time soon so in the meantime, he can work on getting a better tank and hopper and upgrade later.

Or...

He can just save up more and buy everything all together. Ion,halo/reloader b, crossfire tank. That way it would set him for life most likely.

Old 09-04-2006, 12:03 PM   #18
el gato

Quote:
you didnt read all of my post i said that if he wanted to get a good mask and a good tank and gun that he could later upgrade he should go for the prostock but none of us can really tell him what to buy. Its like telling him what he likes, its all preference. If he doesnt mind using a steal tank thats his choice, but the only useful information we can give him is the pluses and minuses of each gun.

Last edited by el gato : 09-04-2006 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:15 PM   #19
Zanotam
The One

i htink i'll go with the prostock if i can scrape up the money
Old 09-04-2006, 12:17 PM   #20
mugenXP

Quote:
but the only useful information we can give him is the pluses and minuses of each gun.
thats basically what I was trying to do. giving him my opinion on why I think the prostock would be better