pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > General Marker Forums > High-End Electronic Markers

Old 09-24-2006, 01:43 PM   #21
mugenXP

Send a message via AIM to mugenXP
yeah it is personal preference, but prob like 1/100 people would walk faster with a flat aluminum trigger. if you're talking about modding the stock ion trigger, then you can mod the spyder trigger too, and it'll still be better than the ions trigger.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:31 PM   #22
Algernon
In Iraq (again)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugenXP View Post
I thought ion owners like you don't exist anymore. kinda sad there buddy.
what does that mean? i've owned those markers i listed (just traded for the 2K2). i was speaking from my own experiance with those markers based on how i like the feel of the marker. in terms of feel a moderately upped ion feels nicer than any of those markers, IMO. i still love the angel LCD and 2K2, and would take one over an ion any day but that doesn't change the fact the ion still shoots nicer.

Last edited by Algernon : 09-25-2006 at 06:36 PM.
Algernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:12 PM   #23
mugenXP

uh, right buddy.

why would you pick a 2k2/angel when you like another gun better?(the ion) doesn't really make any sense. whoever's 2k2 or angel u tried, obviously didn't give it the maintenance it needed.

it is possible that you think the ion is better, but from my own experience, its hard to believe.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:45 PM   #24
Leisy85
Promaster

$300 gun or $1000 gun, you get what you pay for, and I agree with mugen.
Leisy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:12 PM   #25
babustos
Registered Sexy Offender

Send a message via ICQ to babustos Send a message via AIM to babustos Send a message via MSN to babustos
Quote:
yeah it is personal preference, but prob like 1/100 people would walk faster with a flat aluminum trigger. if you're talking about modding the stock ion trigger, then you can mod the spyder trigger too, and it'll still be better than the ions trigger.
You can't say that, many different people prefer many different triggers. Some may like the Ion's trigger, personally I don't, but it is still loads better than any Spyder trigger.

I have both sides between Algernon and Mugen. Obviously Algernon prefers a moderately upped Ion to a 2k2 or Angel LCD. But why he would pick a 2k2 or Angel LCD over a moderately upped Ion? I don't know....
Mark 10:27
For with God all things are possible.

DP FUSION
07 PE ASA
BLUE EGG 2
68/45 AIR AMERICA
FREE AGENT COVER
Boo!
babustos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:21 PM   #26
Algernon
In Iraq (again)

Quote:
uh, right buddy.

why would you pick a 2k2/angel when you like another gun better?(the ion) doesn't really make any sense. whoever's 2k2 or angel u tried, obviously didn't give it the maintenance it needed.

it is possible that you think the ion is better, but from my own experience, its hard to believe.

jebus, kids these days. i like angel LCDs and 2K2s better than i like ions. i have a lot of love for those markers. when i was 16 they were the markers i drooled over. i also have a thing for defiants (B2k). lets get that much straight.

what i like and what i think shoots better are two totally different things. i like the way spoolers shoot and the ion, being a spool valve type marker, has more desirable shooting characteristics than an angel LCD, 2K2 or any of the other markers i listed however it is not nearly as nice as a true spool valve marker or the newer poppet valves. i like the way spool valves shoot and i would gravitate towards those types of markers if it weren't for the fact i care for the nostalgia of the angel LCD and 2K2 more than, what i believe to be, superior shooting characteristics of newer poppet valves and true spool valve markers.

noobs let emotion and ego get in the way of things. if i were a noob i'd go around defending the LCD and 2k2s and bash everything else. if i were a noob i'd base my opinions on brand and marketing ploys. if i were a noob i'd let the price tag of my marker and other markers in it's class define it's shooting characteristics. if i were a noob i'd go around telling everyone which marker is better based on what i like better and not bother to explain that different methods of operation produce different shooting characteristics.

i'd mull this over very carefully before posting a reply.

back on topic: again, ion vs. promaster is apples vs. oranges. spool valve type marker vs. a poppet valve marker. if you like spool valves more than poppet valves then you'll probable like the ion more than the promaster or vice versa if you favor poppet valves.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:30 PM   #27
mugenXP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algernon View Post

what i like and what i think shoots better are two totally different things.
so you like the 2k2/angel better, but to you, the ion shoots better. still doesn't make sense to me, everyone(hopefully) would pick the gun that shoots better than the other. but I won't get into an argument with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algernon
noobs let emotion and ego get in the way of things. if i were a noob i'd go around defending the LCD and 2k2s and bash everything else. if i were a noob i'd base my opinions on brand and marketing ploys. if i were a noob i'd let the price tag of my marker and other markers in it's class define it's shooting characteristics. if i were a noob i'd go around telling everyone which marker is better based on what i like better and not bother to explain that different methods of operation produce different shooting characteristics.
that wasn't any good either. anyone can just say to you "if i were a noob i'd think the ion shoots better than the 2k2".

but I understand what you are trying to say and i completely agree

Last edited by mugenXP : 09-27-2006 at 05:33 PM.
mugenXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:01 PM   #28
Everlight389

Quote:
so you like the 2k2/angel better, but to you, the ion shoots better. still doesn't make sense to me, everyone(hopefully) would pick the gun that shoots better than the other. but I won't get into an argument with you.
The feel of a gun and shooting feel are two different things. An intimidator can be a much nicer marker than an ion but it will still kick more because it's a different design. I think that might be what he's getting at, but I could be wrong.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:28 AM   #29
Algernon
In Iraq (again)

pretty much. the ion does have more barrel lift, however i can still feel the cycling mass moving about in the 2k2, unlike the ion. that's a moot point really, as the only major feel issue i have with the 2K2 is that it is gangly. it's awfully long and unlike any angel i've used or ion. it's like a trayless imp in that respect, and i do not like imps that are NOT I-framed due to the off puting length of the marker.

maybe i'm getting old, but i do gravitate towards older markers. i like them. i just dont have the love for the newer, timmies, angels and EGOs like i have for older markers, the 2k2 and angel LCD included. my point is that just because i like, as in i am a fan of, a particular marker i will still achnowledge that a different marker that i am not a fan of, still shoots better. i think ions shoot better and have more desirable demensions than 2K2 timmies or angel LCDs. the angel LCD is still my favorite marker on the face of the planet and i am currently in possesion of a 2K2.

does that mean i should bash all other markers that are not imps, angel LCDs, or 2k2s? no, that is something a noob would do. if you blindly defend your marker without achnowledging the superiority of another marker then you are a noob, not a newb, but a noob.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:07 PM   #30
Bigbadfish
Frontman

Sorry, but I have to agree on that one. I am not a fan of the ION trigger at all, but it may be better that an e-spyder. The stock switch is pretty heavy (thats why t-boards come with lighter switches)
Boss bolt, Detonator regulator, Boss flush cocking system, Dye Sticky 3 grips, Macro line setup, High flow valve and pin, Empire barrel kit, AGD Warp Feed. t-board w/eyes (WOW!!!) Intimidator eye covers

Fear the Fish Spyder=Piranha clone

Originally posted by Shinnanagans:
You can have a $1,000 gun but you'll still have a $1 game.
Bigbadfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:05 PM   #31
IronCorps
Banned

Send a message via AIM to IronCorps Send a message via Yahoo to IronCorps
Quote:
Originally Posted by babustos View Post
But why he would pick a 2k2 or Angel LCD over a moderately upped Ion? I don't know....
Because WDP guns > ion. Regardless.

Frankly, i'd even go as far to say WDP > Smart Parts, but officially i wont, because i'm sure that would ignite a flame war.
IronCorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 04:32 PM   #32
babustos
Registered Sexy Offender

Send a message via ICQ to babustos Send a message via AIM to babustos Send a message via MSN to babustos
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCorps View Post
Because WDP guns > ion. Regardless.

Frankly, i'd even go as far to say WDP > Smart Parts, but officially i wont, because i'm sure that would ignite a flame war.
I can honestly say that WDP>SP, but yeah it would start a flame war. And he said he likes the way upped Ions shoot, and yet would rather choose an Angel LCD. That is why I wonder why he'd say that.
Mark 10:27
For with God all things are possible.

DP FUSION
07 PE ASA
BLUE EGG 2
68/45 AIR AMERICA
FREE AGENT COVER
Boo!
babustos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 04:36 PM   #33
mugenXP

apparently, the angel LCD/2k2 timmy FEELS better, but the ion SHOOTS better, but he'd get the timmy/angel over the ion. I still dont get it either, the feel of the gun wont make you win, its how it shoots.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:53 PM   #34
Algernon
In Iraq (again)

go over to the viking thread and read that. what new players don't realise is that older player have nastalagia for older markers. again, go over to the viking thread here on high-end and hear it first hand.

i like tribals, LCDs, 2k2s and imps more than i like ions, even though upped ions shoot better IMO, because i grew up with those markers.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:50 PM   #35
Lopez17
Administrator

It's not just nostalgia....it's about shooting markers that work and continue to do so. I've shot just about every high end marker ever made and I stick with the two manufacturers that have proven their consistency and reliability.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaster
I'd have given someone's arm for a U-Haul and 20 minutes alone with a forklift.
Lopez17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:33 PM   #36
mugenXP

Quote:
go over to the viking thread and read that. what new players don't realise is that older player have nastalagia for older markers. again, go over to the viking thread here on high-end and hear it first hand.

i like tribals, LCDs, 2k2s and imps more than i like ions, even though upped ions shoot better IMO, because i grew up with those markers.
I get what you mean, im into the street racing scene, and i like the cars made around the time i got into it because its what your use to, i think thats what you're trying to say.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:16 PM   #37
pbshoot4thrill

i am also going between the promaster and ion. i heard that the promaster had less kick while when u were shooting the ion there was a little barrle lift. i have 290 to spend on the gun and will not spend anymore. so it would be an ion with a new trigger, feedneck, asa or a promaster with asa, macroline, and feedneck . i am kinda leaning towards the promaster because i like h ow it looks and the stock barrel is better but what do u guys think.
pbshoot4thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 04:33 PM   #38
Algernon
In Iraq (again)

promasters are great. about the only options you have for that price new are the ion, REX R3 and promaster. the ion's barrel can be excellent. mine was as nice as my CP one piece, and it did shoot through breaks very well.

ion vs. promaster?

again, it's apples vs. oranges. the two markers feel very differently, and feel is ultimately the deciding factor. one marker is not really better than the other in feel, just very different. shoot/hold a promaster or B2k and see if you can hold/shoot an ion or a shocker. you'll get feel for the markers that way.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:49 PM   #39
mugenXP

Quote:
and see if you can hold/shoot an ion or a shocker. you'll get feel for the markers that way.
a shocker doesn't really feel like an ion, shocker feels more stable, compared to the ion which feels like a toy. i have a shocker and an ion and thats how it appears to me.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:55 PM   #40
Algernon
In Iraq (again)

by feel, i meant in demensions. if you want to know what it feels like to hold a single tube marker such as an ion or shocker, then get your hands on one or the other and mock it up with a tank. shooting the markers is another story. a spyder flash feels like, as in it has similar dimensions to, a 2k2 timmy when you hold the two markers, but they shoot worlds apart.

how a marker feels when you hold it AND when you shoot it are really important and intergral to over all "feel". i don't care how nice a marker shoots, if it is awkward to hold then you should not buy it. go palm promaster and ion and the two will feel very different. one is single tube spool valve and the other is stacked tube poppet valve. most players will favor one or the other and if you are a new player trying to decide on a marker it is very important that you know what method of operation you prefer, otherwise you'll be learing it the hard way through trial and error.

if you can't hold an ion, go hold a shocker or other single tube marker. if you can't hold a promaster then try to get your hands on something similar. that is what i mean.