pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > General Forums > General Paintball Talk

Old 11-28-2006, 07:47 PM   #1
Promasta
Banned

Paintball Gun Accuracy

Ok I want everyones opinion on this. What makes a paintball gun accurate? I am very sure that it is three things only:
1. Smoothness of barrel
2. Paint to bore match
3. Consistency (fps)
I am so sick of guys with Tippmanns saying their guns are the most accurate. This must be false because they don't have good paint to bore match or consistency.
Also why are Autocockers more accurate than other guns if the barrel and regulator is the same?
Promasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:49 PM   #2
shneeko6
Runnin With a Hatchet

Send a message via AIM to shneeko6 Send a message via Yahoo to shneeko6
Autocockers are not more accurate than any other kind of gun. One of the biggest myths in paintball.

Your list of three things pretty much cover the basics of what makes a gun accurate. You could really go into detail such as weather and wind, but no need to get that indepth.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:55 PM   #3
Vyce-Gripp
Thanks, Beavertailsrock!

I believe that the reason Autocockers seem more accurate is because they are closed-bolt, and therefore they force you to have a good paint-to-bore match to keep the balls from rolling out of the barrel. But no, they are no more accurate than other guns.
Another thing that contributes to accuracy is the roundness and smoothness of the paintball itself.

-Gripp
Backup: Spyder Victor 1, $300 worth of upgrades

My Feedback:
http://www.pbreview.com/forums/showt...ght=vyce-gripp
Vyce-Gripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:57 PM   #4
babustos
Registered Sexy Offender

Send a message via ICQ to babustos Send a message via AIM to babustos Send a message via MSN to babustos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Promasta View Post
Ok I want everyones opinion on this. What makes a paintball gun accurate? I am very sure that it is three things only:
1. Quality of paint
2. Paint to bore match
3. Consistency (fps)
I am so sick of guys with Tippmanns saying their guns are the most accurate. This must be false because they don't have good paint to bore match or consistency. Tippmanns will be less accurate than EP guns if the paint to bore match is the same.
Also why are Autocockers more accurate than other guns if the barrel and regulator is the same? Autocockers aren't more accurate than other guns, its a common myth.
Mark 10:27
For with God all things are possible.

DP FUSION
07 PE ASA
BLUE EGG 2
68/45 AIR AMERICA
FREE AGENT COVER
Boo!
babustos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:09 PM   #5
Crede777
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Crede777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyce-Gripp View Post
I believe that the reason Autocockers seem more accurate is because they are closed-bolt, and therefore they force you to have a good paint-to-bore match to keep the balls from rolling out of the barrel. But no, they are no more accurate than other guns.
Another thing that contributes to accuracy is the roundness and smoothness of the paintball itself.

-Gripp
Actually the perceived accuracey of autocockers is two-fold.

1. They are among the first markers to ship with a decent barrel stock. This decent stock barrel gave a perceived accuracey out of the box.

2. The backblock movement, which is horizontal (front-back) movement eliminates some kick and that translates into a feeling of a smoother, more accurate string.
This space is reserved for Chris (f2f4) and those in service to our country.

Denison '10
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:13 PM   #6
babustos
Registered Sexy Offender

Send a message via ICQ to babustos Send a message via AIM to babustos Send a message via MSN to babustos
Quote:
2. The backblock movement, which is horizontal (front-back) movement eliminates some kick and that translates into a feeling of a smoother, more accurate string.
Thats preference, I like the way an Ion shoots so much better than an e-bladed Cocker.

DP FUSION
07 PE ASA
BLUE EGG 2
68/45 AIR AMERICA
FREE AGENT COVER
Boo!
Old 11-29-2006, 04:52 PM   #7
Mentalmonkey10
I am Jack's STD

Send a message via AIM to Mentalmonkey10
Quote:
Originally Posted by babustos View Post
Thats preference, I like the way an Ion shoots so much better than an e-bladed Cocker.
I think he ment that they had a smoother shooting feeling than the other markers on the market when the e-bladed Cocker came out.

Accuracy is mainly from paint quallity, paint-to-bore match, decent barrel, user, reg/consticancy, "kick". Other than that, there is also wind.
Blue Invert Mini
PBN Feedback
Mentalmonkey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:27 PM   #8
Blacksheep
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Blacksheep Send a message via Yahoo to Blacksheep
Well...

1. Airflow consistency
2. Paint Quality
3. Barrel Quality
4. Paint-to-Bore Match (All tests I've seen are that it doesn't do much?)
5. Operating pressure (which will affect the airflow consistency)

And then, there's recoil, possible bolt position, and a bunch of other stuff, but if you have a consistent gun, good barrel and good paint, all other factors should be negated.
Blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:11 PM   #9
Promasta
Banned

So if you put a CP reg and a Stiffi Switch Kit on a Spyder Xtra it will be the most accurate gun out there?
Promasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:18 PM   #10
babustos
Registered Sexy Offender

No, EP guns with those ups will be more consistant. Honestly don't bother upping your Spyder like mad, just get a better gun if you want better accuracy, although barrel, bore match, and quality of paint will affect accuracy the most.

DP FUSION
07 PE ASA
BLUE EGG 2
68/45 AIR AMERICA
FREE AGENT COVER
Boo!
Old 11-30-2006, 02:34 PM   #11
Mentalmonkey10
I am Jack's STD

Send a message via AIM to Mentalmonkey10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksheep View Post
And then, there's recoil, possible bolt position, and a bunch of other stuff, but if you have a consistent gun, good barrel and good paint, all other factors should be negated.
Bolt position dosn't mattter. It's a myth. (if you talking about how closed bolt markers are more accurate than open bolt ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promasta View Post
So if you put a CP reg and a Stiffi Switch Kit on a Spyder Xtra it will be the most accurate gun out there?
No. The opperation of a Shocker or Timmy or Ego makes it more consistant than a Spyder. Also, there is the kick of the Spyder that makes it less accurate (when shooting ropes) than a high end.
Blue Invert Mini
PBN Feedback
Mentalmonkey10 is offline   Reply With Quote