pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Equipment Forums > Hoppers

Old 01-10-2007, 04:48 PM   #1
Tabris17
Super Moderator

Official Pulse Information thread

With the Pulse being out for a few months and the flood of questions into the forum I have created a thread that will, hopefully, answer all the questions one may have about the Pulse loader. I hope this helps everyone.

What is the Pulse?
The Pulse hopper is made by Draxxus (DXS) and is their first attempt at a hopper. It is different then any other force-fed hopper on the market currently as it does not use an eye system or sound system to load paint. It also comes with two modes in which to operate, a red mode and green mode. The red mode is also known as 'Pulse mode' in which the drive cone 'pulses' to feed the balls. Meaning when the hopper is at rest on your marker and it feels pressure the drive cone will pulse lightly, putting tension on the stack and then releasing it. It will continue to pulse until you start firing in which the drive cone will start to spin once again until you stop and then it begins to pulse again.
Green mode is for use with the RF chip (sold seperately at around $30) and comes with soldering wires; however there is an adaptor harness (also sold seperately for $15-$25) for Intimidators/Cyborgs/Egos/PM's/DM's as well as Vikings/Excaliburs. Using the adatptor bridges the connection between your solenoid and board with an off shoot for the RF chip to plug into, no soldering involved and no risk of damaging your board and voiding your warranty. While in green mode you turn your marker on with no air, no paint, and eyes off and pull the trigger to cycle your solenoid. This sends a signal to the chip and then to the hopper, making them synch up together. Once you are synced the hopper will feed everytime your solenoid activates. In semi that means it will feed for every trigger pull, in ramping it will feed as long as the solenoid is activating during ramping then will stop feeding once the noid comes to rest again. This means no issues with sound and not having to worry about having dirty eyes or what colored paint you are using.

How fast will the Pulse feed?
Out of the box the Pulse is advertised to feed over 40+ balls per second. Other hoppers boast 22+ bps out the box. To match the speed the Pulse is advertising you would need an aftermarket board like the Cheetah board which does 30+ bps for the Halo/Reloader B series or a new chip for your VLocity.
When used with the RF chip, DXS states the speed of the hopper is limited by the speed of your solenoid and marker itself.

Does the Pulse have an anti-jam device?
Yes. The Pulse has a small blue button on the bottom of the hopper on the drive train. Pushing and holding this button will reverse the drive cone, clearing a jam. Releasing it will allow the drive cone to spin forward again and start feeding again. There is no rip drive on the Pulse like on the Halo/Reloader B, it is all electronic. The only down fall of this feature is if your batteries die you can not manually feed your paint; however the Pulse boasts over 66% more battery life then a Halo/Reloader B.

Will the shell/lid/feedneck on the Pulse crack like my Halo/Reloader B?
More then likely not. The Pulse hopper is made out of polycarbonate plastic, the same plastic Draxxus/Procaps uses in their Vforce Profiler lenses. Most mask lenses are designed to take the force of 400+ fps without breaking or cracking, the same is true for the Pulse loader. Still don't believe me? The Pulse hopper was used as a hammer by Maximus Lundquist (Joy Division) to drive a nail through a 2x4 on video. The hopper did not crack or break and only scratched and the nail was actually bent, proving that while it's not the best hammer the Pulse can take even the most extreme punishment.

What other features does the Pulse have besides being fast and being built like a tank?
Probably the best feature of the Pulse is the ability to totally remove the drive train from the hopper shell itself. There are two pushbutton tabs on the side of the hopper, pushing and holding those in while striking your hand against the side of the hopper is usually enough to force the train back enough so you can pull it out. It's a tight fit so it may take several whacks to get it out; at least it proves it should not slide out on you during a dive. Once the drive train is removed you have access to the shell and can insert your hand into the shell for easy clean up. You can also clean your drive cone and feedneck out with ease, no more having to undo your screws to take your hopper apart. A field strip and clean can be done in around five minutes and under and have you back on the field. I had mine open and nearly done cleaning before my friend and another player even got their Halo shells open. Once you are done cleaning you simply slide the drive train back into place, give it a whack to make sure it's firmly in place and you are good to go. The lid is also a magnetic locking lid, giving you an extra tight seal when closing the lid. It takes some use to get the hang of how firm it really is on there but it is meant to stay shut once you slam it down firm enough.
Also, DXS is going to be releasing a Back-players shell later on. This hopper will hold 250+ balls, if I am recalling the numbers correctly, for back players. The key thing is if you already own a Pulse, you can remove your drive train from your old shell and place it back into the new shell as the drive train is compatible with all Pulse hopper shells that will be released. No more having to own multiple hoppers as you will be able to change your shells to meet your color or playing needs.

How does the Pulse compare to the Halo/Reloader B series and the VLocity?
As stated before, the Pulse has no eyes and no sound activation as it either pulses in red mode or feeds when your solenoid activated in green mode and when used with the RF chip. This is one way the hopper is faster then the rest as it does not wait to hear the shot to feed or wait for it's eye beam to be broken/reflected back. When in green mode it actually begins feeding milliseconds before you even shoot since the RF chip hijacks your solenoid signal and sends it to your hopper, meaning it's spinning before your bolt is even moving; creating more speed and tension. The shell is another strong point as well as the Pulse is very rugged as previously mentioned.
In those two aspects the Pulse wins out against all three hoppers, and this is not even mentioning the ease of clean up and use with the Pulse. The only thing I would say may be slightly better then the Pulse is the manual rip-drive system on the Halo/Reloader B series should something electronically fail or your batteries were to suddenly run out. The Pulse is also very quiet when compared to the VLocity, which makes a horrible whining/grinding noise when it's at rest and pushing against the ball stack. You can't even hear the Pulse unless you hold it near your ear, it's very impressive how quiet it is.

What about the size of the Pulse?
It's a tad wider then the Halo/Reloader B series, no more then a 1/4 of an inch though and is a hair shorter as well, thanks to the low-rise feedneck on the hopper. If you own a Halo/Reloader B you won't have any issue with changing over to the Pulse hopper. That being said you can argue the Pulse is nearly identical in size to the Halo/Reloader B series.
I have not been able to compare it to a VLocity hopper but I would imaging it would be shorter then it by a small amount and perhaps a bit thinner. Comparing a Halo/Reloader B to a VLocity though will give you a very close approximate size to the Pulse loader though.

PBR Feedback +26/-0
PBN Feedback +9/-0
IOG Feedback +5/-0

Last edited by Tabris17 : 01-11-2007 at 01:31 PM.
Tabris17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:49 PM   #2
Tabris17
Super Moderator

If the Pulse is 'pulsing' when in red mode, won't that break paint?
No, it should not. The pulse setting is extremely gentle on paint despite being quite fast. I personally used Empire Inertia paint, which is Empires tournament grade paint with a very brittle shell, and did not break a single ball in the hopper. It was also designed for use with brittle shelled paint by the design of the drive cone. The drive cone does not have fins like the Halo/Reloader B or VLocity, instead they are more of an arch allowing the paint to roll and be pushed in the recess of the drive train and down the feedneck. In eliminating the fins DXS has also solved the 'popcorn' effect that plague hoppers when they have those last few shots left. Your paint stays nicely in place and doesn't bounce around inside your hopper like crazy jumping beans or popcorn.

Do I NEED the RF chip? Is it fast enough without it?
I can safely say that the Pulse is fast enough without the RF chip installed into your marker. I used the Pulse on my 07 Cyborg with PSP ramping and had no problems with the hopper in pulse mode keeping up. It also fed consistantly and kept a steady stream of paint coming. The RF chip is simply a nice addition to squeeze out maximum performance from your marker and hopper to make them work in unison.

Does the performance merit the price?
With the Pulse, I feel it does. You have an extremely fast hopper with a nearly bullet proof shell and the addition of being able to remove the drive train for easy and fast clean up. For $150 it's a very good hopper, though at the moment a Halo/Reloader B can be purchased for cheaper, add in the fact the RF chip is another $30 you have a $180 hopper in the end. However, as stated, you do not need the RF chip for this hopper so that extra $30 is left for the player to decide if he/she would like to purchase it as an extra.
All things considered though I feel the Pulse has many more pros then cons when compared to the other hoppers. Especially in terms of the shell and clean up, which are it's two main selling points with the RF chip being the third. It's a very versitile loader that can work on pretty much anything from a spyder, ion, intimidator, ego, or cyborg. While there are other, more affordable hoppers out there, the Pulse screams and oozes top level performance for a relatively decent price and I feel the other hoppers on the market finally have some serious competition. This hopper is not 'gimmicky' and is meant to stay on the field for a long time.

Picture comparison of the Pulse against my Reloader B:

Please note I did not have an extra set of hands to hold the hoppers straight so the pics are meant to give you a rough idea of the sizing. Especially when it comes to the back and front views of the hopper.

PBR Feedback +26/-0
PBN Feedback +9/-0
IOG Feedback +5/-0

Last edited by Tabris17 : 01-10-2007 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:24 PM   #3
Rhaop

i can't decide if i want to buy this now or try to live with my revvy and wait to see if they come out with a 2nd generation of pulse's (possibly with rf chip included?)

currently using a stock '06 blackmagic i only wanna buy 1 hopper that will last me a long time i gotta save up for all my gear and don't want to buy a hopper and find out 3months later i could have waited and got sumthing better for same price or less or whatever

Last edited by Rhaop : 01-11-2007 at 03:27 PM.
Rhaop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:34 AM   #4
Curly Fry
US TUBES

halo b with cheetah board shocktech hot rod kit hybrid suicide shell and speedfeed or just stock pulse?
Model 98, 98C ACT, F7 Fusion, SL-68 II
Friendly Fire Paintball ~ Fox 4 Paintball
Upton, MA
Curly Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:28 PM   #5
carlooooo
oooohhhhwwweeee

any idea how to run 2 9 volts in the pulse?
carlooooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:50 PM   #6
babyboy412

simple question

I just bought an ion but haven't purchased a hopper yet i was looking at the pulse reviews and 9 out of 10 were outstanding. My uncle has an ion wit a haloand said it works well would I be able to use the pulse with my ion?
babyboy412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:55 PM   #7
soccerjacks12
My Killer Puppy ate Santa

Yes.
Anarchy OG Midwest Posse OG
soccerjacks12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 01:03 PM   #8
babyboy412

Yes to my ion question
babyboy412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 01:21 PM   #9
Uziel Gal
Legend

Rhaop - There will always be something better in the future, that's just part of the nature of high end technology - continuous development. Just look at computers. No matter how fast they get, there's always a faster processor just around the corner. At some point, you just have to decide to lay down your money and get the best item that is available at the time. You can wait forever, and you'll never see the final, be all and end all loader/computer/game system etc.

Right now, your Revolution is severely limiting the performance of your marker. The Pulse is as goos a choice of loader right now as any other, and probably won't be beaten in feed rate for a while. Sooner or later though, there will be a faster loader.

Curly Fry - this is an info thread, not a comparison thread.

Plus, if you bought all those Shocktech things for a Cheetah'd HALO B, you would probably be wasting your money. The Cheetah board has been designed to extract the best possible performance from an otherwise stock loader. You'll see little if any improvement with the Shocktech internals if used with a Cheetah board. The added weight of the aluminium parts might even slow it down, and the change in gear ratio made by the speed wheel has been known to cause problems with the automatic unjamming feature.

Carlooooo - Draxxus have already stated that it will be possible to run the Pulse with two 9 volt batteries in parallel. If this proves to be something that people want, they will no doubt release an adapter. In the meantime, one of the adapters marketed for use in the HALO B should do the job.

Babyboy - I see no reasons why the Pulse would not work just fine with an Ion.

Hundred, hundred, hundred bottles on the wall, you wonder if you can drink them all.
Got to go home by 1am, the bottle wins the battle again.
Husker Du - "First of the last calls"
Back when I was popular
Supporting a friend:
HustlePaintball.com for Spyder paintball guns, Dye Markers, WDP Angel 1 and of course the Hustle Hotties.
Uziel Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:54 PM   #10
NOSANITY

Is there a Worrframe/Worrblade/Eblade Adapter Harness for the Transmitter? I really don't want to solder so hopefully there's one available.
NOSANITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 01:46 PM   #11
Tabris17
Super Moderator

There is currently no adaptor for the cockers, you're stuck soldering Nosanity.

PBR Feedback +26/-0
PBN Feedback +9/-0
IOG Feedback +5/-0
Old 02-13-2007, 08:06 AM   #12
podhead
Does my balls hurt!

is their an adaptor or mod adaptor for the PMR.
podhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:20 AM   #13
Uziel Gal
Legend

Tadao market a harness suitable for use with the PMR.

Hundred, hundred, hundred bottles on the wall, you wonder if you can drink them all.
Back when I was popular
Supporting a friend:
HustlePaintball.com for Spyder paintball guns, Dye Markers, WDP Angel 1 and of course the Hustle Hotties.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:28 AM   #14
podhead
Does my balls hurt!

Thanks Uzeil!!!!
podhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 04:51 PM   #15
balla245
i<3monsterballs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris17 View Post
Does the Pulse have an anti-jam device?
Yes. The Pulse has a small blue button on the bottom of the hopper on the drive train. Pushing and holding this button will reverse the drive cone, clearing a jam. Releasing it will allow the drive cone to spin forward again and start feeding again. There is no rip drive on the Pulse like on the Halo/Reloader B, it is all electronic. The only down fall of this feature is if your batteries die you can not manually feed your paint; however the Pulse boasts over 66% more battery life then a Halo/Reloader B.

rip drive mod for dead batteries in sig check it out
if you are an indianapolis colts fan put this in your sig
if you find yourself laughing hystericaly after screaming "MONSTERBALLS!!!!!!" put this in your sig
balla245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:48 AM   #16
mmmoose
n00b

Send a message via AIM to mmmoose
Does anybody have any official word on the result of the Pulse lawsuit? Or is it still going on? The last thing I remember hearing was a court date set for the end of February. That was quite a while ago...

Apparently I got one of the last ones from some website, so they still seem to be rare (and a little more expensive). Action Village has them up for pre order, which suggests they'll be back in full production soon?
Old 04-13-2007, 11:53 AM   #17
Uziel Gal
Legend

The court date scheduled for February didn't go ahead. It was apparently re-scheduled for the 23rd of April, so no news yet, as the hearing hasn't even happened yet.

Back when I was popular
Supporting a friend:
Old 04-13-2007, 02:51 PM   #18
mmmoose
n00b

Send a message via AIM to mmmoose
Thanks for the update. I really hope they don't go under from this. I wishing that in the worst case scenario they simply remove the RF chip feature and maybe make it cheaper. Because RF chip or not, I think it's still a great hopper.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:48 AM   #19
Ergantos
YOUR DADDY!

Send a message via AIM to Ergantos
Any new information on the case? Anyone have a link that I can monitor this on my own? Appreciate any input.

Thanks
Clint
http://www.pbreview.com/forums/t408280/#post3974815
PMR ( Black )
CP Silver back cap
OTP G3 Barrel kit ( black to silver)
Custom Cradle W/ nitro 68/4500
Halo ripped w/ battery mod And Angry board
Ergantos
Ergantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:24 PM   #20
Tabris17
Super Moderator

No news from what I've heard.
Though I did get my Pulse back from DXS after my feedneck snapped and drive train tab got shot out. DXS just totally replaced my loader for free, which is awesome. And also it seems that DXS is using different boards, mine was green to begin with and really stood out but now the board is black and blends in better.

PBR Feedback +26/-0
PBN Feedback +9/-0
IOG Feedback +5/-0