pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Specific Marker Forums > Bob Long

Old 10-07-2009, 05:54 PM   #1
r0y7h31n4n3
Ghost Flanker

Send a message via AIM to r0y7h31n4n3 Send a message via MSN to r0y7h31n4n3 Send a message via Yahoo to r0y7h31n4n3
I put up a video on Youtube, looking for answers on a leak that suddenly occurred with my Timmy. It happened the day after I spent all day using it at my local field, so I have no idea what could have caused it.

Here's a link to the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DOGscYDKLo

Description:
Problems have been popping up left and right for my 2K2 Timmy since I bought it a few days ago. First the bolt wasn't kicking (I lubed it and that fixed it), and there have been several small leaks, but I haven't had to deal with anything major until now. There's a huge air leak coming from somewhere below the bolt (maybe the ram), but above the grips, and out of the vertical reg. Hopefully it isn't the solenoid.

I bought a new Evil bolt to replace the one that's already in the gun (since the cap has come off, as you can see from the video), so hopefully that will help... But until that gets here, I'm relying on YOU for answers!

I don't know much about electronic markers, just enough to take it apart and clean it after every game. This is my first, and it's used so I don't have any information to get any replacement parts or repairs from B.L.A.S.T.

Last edited by r0y7h31n4n3 : 10-08-2009 at 08:05 AM.
r0y7h31n4n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
wabango$
*sigh*

Send a message via AIM to wabango$ Send a message via MSN to wabango$
o-o-O-O-V-E-R-KILL-KILL-kill-kill

wabango$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #3
Coenen
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Coenen Send a message via Yahoo to Coenen
In the future, one thread will be enough, 3 is a bit much.

It sounds like a cup seal to me which was a pretty common problem with the older Intimidators and causes exactly this type of leak. It should be a cheap fix. I think you can still get basic 2k2 Timmy parts kits from http://www.compulsivepaintball.com I believe their kits will have the ram bumper that died on you as well, so that'll kill two birds with one stone.

Also, check your reg settings, although if the gun worked fine all day, that seems unlikely.

Worst case scenario the solenoid is dead, again, since the gun was working all day that also seems unlikely.
Coenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:04 AM   #4
r0y7h31n4n3
Ghost Flanker

Send a message via AIM to r0y7h31n4n3 Send a message via MSN to r0y7h31n4n3 Send a message via Yahoo to r0y7h31n4n3
Yeah, sorry, I wasn't sure which thread was the right one, so I figured I'd cover my bases.

Alright, so I'll replace the bolt (since I already ordered a new one) and buy a cup seal from that site, and see if that doesn't help.

Another problem that I'm having (that I keep forgetting to mention) is that my LCD has gone weird, too. When I turn on the gun, I get black squares across the top of the screen. I've been messing with the settings on my marker the manual way (Thanks to Jaster for that thread BTW), but it's a bit of a hassle. Do you think I just need to get a whole new LCD, or even a new board?
Old 10-21-2009, 12:39 PM   #5
Jaster
The one and only

cup seal and front ram oring. Clean around the cupseal base and make sure there isn't any damage to the seat itself.

if the LCD is all black boxes then most likely the cable is in backwards, damaged or the LCD is shot and needs to be replaced.
--------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by GranDreamUse the search, Luke.
Originally posted by Lopez17It's really quite amusing to see the difference between talent and ego
Originally posted by teufelhunden You'd think stickies are there to make the forum pretty...
Originally posted by Killer Kat: Don't feed the Jaster from your hand! He bites!!
Originally posted by cocker kid 2k2 :Shut your trap while the big boys are talking.
Originally posted by Homer:Jaster is the Master.
Originally posted by iplaynaked:This....is the Jaster. All I'm going to say to you about him is....don't make him angry.

Red to Black Texas Storm, WAS2.8 Board, WAS Switch, KAPP Thumper Ram, BL Delrin Poppet, Violent Products Delrin Piston, CP Rail, Modified Stock Bolt, CP Adj. Ram Cap, Empire on/off, AKA Sidewinder reg, Clamping Low Rise, Flame Eye Covers, ScytheII Trigger.
Red/Yellow Fade LP Classic Timmy, Bob Long Torpedo Reg., Claw Trigger, CP Adj. Ram Cap, Modified Delrin Bolt, CP Flame Drop Forward, Empire On/Off, WAS 2.8 Equalizer bd., WAS Eye, WAS Switch, Twisted Low Rise, Custom Red Oak Grips
Pure Energy 45/45 and 68/45 12" STIFFI Barrel, 14" CP 2 Piece, Red Halo B

WANTED: Ripper Timmy body. PM me if you have one you want to sell or trade.
Jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:46 AM   #6
4THDEGREE
Super Moderator - Legend

Send a message via AIM to 4THDEGREE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaster View Post
cup seal and front ram oring. Clean around the cupseal base and make sure there isn't any damage to the seat itself.

if the LCD is all black boxes then most likely the cable is in backwards, damaged or the LCD is shot and needs to be replaced.
So saith the SHEPHERD!
The Old Dawgs Member #1
06 Empire Timmy, YES, I own an Onyx SE! Newest addition...egads I now own an Angel A1
NAnarchy OT - We Are Cooler Than YouN
Team No Regrets
-no drama, no BS, no regrets....play to be respected!
Pro Paintball Weekly
www.compulsivepaintball.com
4THDEGREE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:06 AM   #7
r0y7h31n4n3
Ghost Flanker

Thanks for all the help thus far.

So I took my gun completely apart and replaced all the O-rings, to see if that would help, but the gun is still leaking air, maybe even worse than before. I dread taking it apart again and having to remove/replace all those little airhoses to get to the screws... but that's the price I have to pay I guess.

Anyway, the next step of my plan is to try to replace the poppet as has been suggested. Someone said I should upgrade to an Alias-style popper (because they have the cup seals implemented in them), but I don't know if that would work in my 2k2 or how I would even go about putting it in.

Here is the link to the poppet I'm looking at now. It's just a little mushroom! The poppet in my gun right now is a long, metal stick with the disc on one end. Would it be wise to replace my current poppet with this new one?
Old 11-15-2009, 10:35 AM   #8
4THDEGREE
Super Moderator - Legend

Nope! wrong one. You need the Empire 1 poppet. To change to an Alias poppet, you would need to change the ram sleeve as well. the Alias ram sleeve will work in your 2k2, but the Empire 1 poppet is an easier fix.

This is the one you want. Notice the larger integral cup seal.

http://www.paintballkingdom.com/empi...ppetshaft.aspx
The Old Dawgs Member #1
06 Empire Timmy, YES, I own an Onyx SE! Newest addition...egads I now own an Angel A1
Team No Regrets
Pro Paintball Weekly
Old 11-20-2009, 11:24 AM   #9
r0y7h31n4n3
Ghost Flanker

I bought the new poppet, tore my gun apart and replaced it, and then put everything back together, ready to air up and shoot a target to death, but when I screwed on my tank, I still had the damn leak.
I've replaced the O-rings and the poppet/cup seal, now I have absolutely no idea what to do. The air leak is definitely coming from the horizontal reg (the low pressure one I think that is). When I unscrew it from the gun, there's a hole at the bottom (which I assume connects to the vertical reg) where the air is leaking. Even when I screw the horizontal reg back on, the leak continues. What could be causing this, and what can I do to fix it?

Edit: Thanks for all the help up 'til now, BTW. I may not have gotten the leak fixed quite yet, but at least I've made some progress.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:52 AM   #10
r0y7h31n4n3
Ghost Flanker

I'm starting to feel like this is a lost cause. Does anyone think that if I called BLAST that I would be able to ship it in to see what they think, even though I bought the gun on eBay? I tried emailing them, but they don't monitor that anymore, and the one time I tried calling they weren't open, but it's starting to sound like the best option.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:46 AM   #11
Coenen
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Coenen Send a message via Yahoo to Coenen
BLAST's customer service is supposed to be pretty good. This might not be the best week to be trying to get ahold of them though, what with the holiday and all.

What are you're regs set at? From what you're saying it sounds like the air is blowing out of a pressure relief hole. You might try zeroing both regs and then resetting them to see if that makes a difference. Also it probably wouldn't hurt you to break down and at least lube up, if not rebuild, the Low Pressure Reg.
Coenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:10 PM   #12
r0y7h31n4n3
Ghost Flanker

I tried turning the pressure all the way down when I started having this problem, but it didn't seem to do anything. A friend of mine started to look it over, but the air was low, so the only thing he could deduce before the pressure ran out was that he thought it was leaking near the pressure gauge, and suggested I inspect the threads and use some teflon tape to make sure there aren't any leaks.

I guess I'll try that, see if it helps any, and call BLAST tomorrow to see what I can find out from them. I just wish there was somewhere nearby where I could take it to get it worked on. I have a family match coming up in December and I don't seem to possess the knowledge to fix the thing myself before then.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:18 PM   #13
r0y7h31n4n3
Ghost Flanker

I called up BLAST, talked with them for a minute, told them I had been having problems and they said I could ship it in and they'd take a look at it, to my immense relief. So I'm going to go get a box, stuff it in there, and send it off to them, and find out once and for all what's wrong. Really nice customer support, btw.

I'll keep you all updated. Hopefully I only have to pay the $25 Tech Fee, lol.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:09 AM   #14
Jaster
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4THDEGREE View Post
So saith the SHEPHERD!
can I get an Amen?!

BLAST should take care of you. If they don't, let me know, I'll fix it for you.

If it's leaking from the LPR... are any of the other gauges moving at all? Slowly creeping up? or does it just leak like a *itch?

Originally posted by GranDreamUse the search, Luke.
Originally posted by Lopez17It's really quite amusing to see the difference between talent and ego
Originally posted by teufelhunden You'd think stickies are there to make the forum pretty...
Originally posted by Killer Kat: Don't feed the Jaster from your hand! He bites!!
Originally posted by cocker kid 2k2 :Shut your trap while the big boys are talking.
Originally posted by Homer:Jaster is the Master.
Originally posted by iplaynaked:This....is the Jaster. All I'm going to say to you about him is....don't make him angry.

Red to Black Texas Storm, WAS2.8 Board, WAS Switch, KAPP Thumper Ram, BL Delrin Poppet, Violent Products Delrin Piston, CP Rail, Modified Stock Bolt, CP Adj. Ram Cap, Empire on/off, AKA Sidewinder reg, Clamping Low Rise, Flame Eye Covers, ScytheII Trigger.
Red/Yellow Fade LP Classic Timmy, Bob Long Torpedo Reg., Claw Trigger, CP Adj. Ram Cap, Modified Delrin Bolt, CP Flame Drop Forward, Empire On/Off, WAS 2.8 Equalizer bd., WAS Eye, WAS Switch, Twisted Low Rise, Custom Red Oak Grips
Pure Energy 45/45 and 68/45 12" STIFFI Barrel, 14" CP 2 Piece, Red Halo B

WANTED: Ripper Timmy body. PM me if you have one you want to sell or trade.
Jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:21 AM   #15
4THDEGREE
Super Moderator - Legend

Talcum powder works well on those *itches. Course dollar bills do too....
The Old Dawgs Member #1
Team No Regrets
Pro Paintball Weekly
Old 12-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #16
quickwood

y
quickwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:15 AM   #17
r0y7h31n4n3
Ghost Flanker

Just leaks like a *itch.

I sent it in a few days ago, so I'll probably call them up today or tomorrow to see if it's arrived and if they've had any luck figuring out what's going on.

I tried to get the people I bought it from to cover the $25 fee (not that it's super expensive, just seemed like the least they could do), but they never got back in touch with me. Case in point; don't ever buy markers from a company named "Pinnacle Partners, LLC."
Old 01-01-2010, 12:21 PM   #18
r0y7h31n4n3
Ghost Flanker

Augh!
I sent the gun in to Bob Long and, much to my elation, it came back working perfectly. I took it outside and painted some stuff, but when I took it partially apart (Removed the air hose from the reg) and left it for a few days, I came back to it and it has the SAME LEAK.

I replaced the poppet with one that has the cup seal integrated (which didn't work to fix the problem in the first place), and the Bob Long techs replaced everything, o-rings, air hoses, etc, and chrono'd it.

The only thing I can think of worth mentioning is that I've been testing it out (lightly) with CO2, since no one around here fills compressed air. I haven't disassembled it yet to see if there are any ruptured hoses or anything... The leak sounds like it's coming from around the torpedo once again, and the air is running down the barrel. I fired it a few times just to make sure everything still works, it does, it shoots fine, there's just that constant, annoying LEAK!

I'm getting desperate, now. I thought about selling it for a minute, but I already love this gun too much to part with it. Any help would, again, be greatly appreciated. Let me know what your first guesses are as to the leak, or if anyone would be able to fix it (Jaster?)

I'll take it apart and make some further inspections and let you know if I find anything out of the ordinary.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:26 PM   #19
Tabris17
Super Moderator

Co2 should never be used with Intimidators. It probably screwed something out as liquid co2 could have gotten into the regulator.

PBR Feedback +26/-0
PBN Feedback +9/-0
IOG Feedback +5/-0
Tabris17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:50 AM   #20
r0y7h31n4n3
Ghost Flanker

Ahh, well, that explains it. I was a bit worried about that, but I read something about keeping the tank down from preventing liquid getting in there... Guess it was my fault this time.

Alright, I'll just put off testing it out any more until I can find someone in the area with a compressed air tank. Thanks for letting me know so I don't do it in the future.