pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > General Forums > Off Topic

Old 08-27-2007, 07:42 PM   #101
pantzaroff16

oh snaps. vodka straight?
I've done it before... but why would you when there are much higher quality choices?

That vodka seems to have blurred your perception more than my LSU drinking...

"So are you saying that having a tradition plays no role in recruiting, TV deals, merchandise deals/sells, etc...? If you are, then I am afraid you do not understand what now college football is."

I said winning did i not?
pantzaroff16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:23 PM   #102
CollegeBoy
He who wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantzaroff16 View Post
oh snaps. vodka straight?
I've done it before... but why would you when there are much higher quality choices?

That vodka seems to have blurred your perception more than my LSU drinking...

"So are you saying that having a tradition plays no role in recruiting, TV deals, merchandise deals/sells, etc...? If you are, then I am afraid you do not understand what now college football is."

I said winning did i not?

Did I mention that I learned how to drink in Russia, that is why I can drink Vodka straight. Are there high class drinks that I like, yes, and I do enjoy them (Maker's, Chivas, Glenlivet, etc..). But straight vodka (a good vodka) will always be my favorite. Oh, did I mention I do not chase it with anything, for as I was told, it was the only manly way of drinking it. haha

So, let me ask you, what do you think makes a team win? Good talent? How does a team get good talent? Good coaching staff, good facilities, etc.. How does a team get a good coaching staff and facilities, etc..? Money. How does a team get money? Endorsements, contracts, tickets, tv time, etc.. All of which tradition plays a HUGE role in. That is not to even mention those players that will go to a team just because they have a tradition with rich alumni contacts for after football success.

Take for example, no one will doubt that Bama has had its worst years over the last 6 years or so (coinciding with the time I have been here no doubt), but Bama continues to sell out all of its games, sell its merchandise nation wide, ink million dollar nike, coke, golden flake, etc... deals. Why is that? Tradition, a school without a tradition would have lost all of that steady support.

In economic terms, tradition plays the role of a progressive tax (property tax), it is just about always there for the good or for the bad. No tradition plays the role of a regressive tax (sales), when the times are good, they are good, but when they are bad, the bills will not be paid.

Hopefully you understand this.

Copyright Collegeboy 2007, 2008, 2009

"Never give up! Never surrender!"

Get well Flamethrower
CollegeBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:49 PM   #103
pantzaroff16

Very good point.

But at this moment both LSU and Florida among others are benefitting from the same perks of their tradition. Yet you seem to think we have poor tradition. If Bama has such rich tradition to help it along.. why have they been down? You see my point hopefully. Tradition isnt EVERYTHING. Sure it helps here and there and collectively can push a team to bounce back. But it doesn't go out and win for you. I will concede that you have more of a point with tradition, but I still don't think its going to win a national championship for you.

Edit: Chasing hard liquor with something has a tendancy to make me sick unless its another alcoholic drink.

Last edited by pantzaroff16 : 08-27-2007 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:01 PM   #104
CollegeBoy
He who wonders

Quote:
Very good point.

But at this moment both LSU and Florida among others are benefitting from the same perks of their tradition. Yet you seem to think we have poor tradition. If Bama has such rich tradition to help it along.. why have they been down? You see my point hopefully. Tradition isnt EVERYTHING. Sure it helps here and there and collectively can push a team to bounce back. But it doesn't go out and win for you. I will concede that you have more of a point with tradition, but I still don't think its going to win a national championship for you.

Edit: Chasing hard liquor with something has a tendancy to make me sick unless its another alcoholic drink.
Like I said, you all are doing well because you are well doing well, but if you go back to where you both were not 20 years ago, you would drop off the face of this earth (for LSU that would be like 10 years ago).

Alabama is where it is at because of NCAA sanctions. It does not matter how many want to come to Bama if you can only sign a certain amount. (that is all I will say about that, for you do not want me to get started on the NCAA and their sanctions).

I am not sure that you will find anyone who says that tradition is everything, but it is what makes college football what it is IMO.

Without it, you would have the NFL, only with slightly lesser paid players.

Without money, you will never win a game. Take that as you will.

Get well Flamethrower
Old 08-27-2007, 10:27 PM   #105
Evil_Wayz
Malevolence Personified

Location: Gainesville, Florida, HOME OF THE MIGHTY GATORS aka TITLETOWN,USA
Send a message via AIM to Evil_Wayz Send a message via MSN to Evil_Wayz Send a message via Yahoo to Evil_Wayz
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeBoy View Post

So are you saying that having a tradition plays no role in recruiting, TV deals, merchandise deals/sells, etc...? If you are, then I am afraid you do not understand what now college football is.
Not like them crystal footballs in the trophy case.

Florida Football was nonexistent, not to mention probation and scandal ridden, til the 90's. We don't have a lot of tradition, but we do have 7 SEC banners and 2 crystal footballs, and that seems to be working out just fine.

Not to mention the Gator Boosters make the UAA 2nd or third richest athletic program every year. And NONE of it is footed by the taxpayer.

Quote:
Did I mention that I learned how to drink in Russia, that is why I can drink Vodka straight. Are there high class drinks that I like, yes, and I do enjoy them (Maker's, Chivas, Glenlivet, etc..). But straight vodka (a good vodka) will always be my favorite. Oh, did I mention I do not chase it with anything, for as I was told, it was the only manly way of drinking it. haha
Why would you drink vodka when we have the best bourbon ever to come out of a barrel right here in the USA?
Semper Fidelis
La Illaha Illa Shaitan
"Marines die. That's what we are here for. But the Marine Corps will live forever."

Last edited by Evil_Wayz : 08-27-2007 at 11:41 PM.
Evil_Wayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:11 AM   #106
CollegeBoy
He who wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Wayz View Post
Not like them crystal footballs in the trophy case.

Florida Football was nonexistent, not to mention probation and scandal ridden, til the 90's. We don't have a lot of tradition, but we do have 7 SEC banners and 2 crystal footballs, and that seems to be working out just fine.

Not to mention the Gator Boosters make the UAA 2nd or third richest athletic program every year. And NONE of it is footed by the taxpayer.

Why would you drink vodka when we have the best bourbon ever to come out of a barrel right here in the USA?
If you go back to the way you were in say the 80's, then those 2 crystal balls mean nothing, but if you establish say 60 or 100 years of good teams spread out over the entire time span, what would seem to be a program in shambles in a non tradition rich program is only a rebuilding year in a program with tradition (as defined above).

The same goes with Alabama, the state/tax payers pay nothing for the football team. In fact the football supports the school and saves the tax payers money. (the athletic department has to give 10% of its profits to the school every year, like housing, dinning, etc..)

In fact, without the football team we would only have a basketball team and a football team, for they are the only teams that are self sufficient.

Get well Flamethrower
Old 08-28-2007, 09:46 AM   #107
pantzaroff16

Quote:
I am not sure that you will find anyone who says that tradition is everything, but it is what makes college football what it is IMO.

Without it, you would have the NFL, only with slightly lesser paid players.

Thats why NCAA football> NFL. Winning is the main motivator, not paychecks.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:05 AM   #108
Evil_Wayz
Malevolence Personified

Send a message via AIM to Evil_Wayz Send a message via MSN to Evil_Wayz Send a message via Yahoo to Evil_Wayz
New topic. IS Kentucky's qb REALLY that good?
Semper Fidelis
La Illaha Illa Shaitan
"Marines die. That's what we are here for. But the Marine Corps will live forever."
Old 08-30-2007, 09:31 AM   #109
blinkpk11
Wasted & Ready

Send a message via AIM to blinkpk11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Wayz View Post
New topic. IS Kentucky's qb REALLY that good?
He is a really nice guy...I stayed 2 doors down from him while I was on spring break last year. Can easily throw a football across a parking lot and almost break my fingers. I think he has all the tools to be a good NFL prospect. If he has a great year like Russel did last year he could even supplant Brohm as the #1 QB on draft boards, but I don't think he has the talent around him to do it. Woodson is legit, but I think he will struggle at times with the dominating D of the SEC and lack of top tier talent around him on offense.
blinkpk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:48 AM   #110
Evil_Wayz
Malevolence Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkpk11 View Post
He is a really nice guy...I stayed 2 doors down from him while I was on spring break last year. Can easily throw a football across a parking lot and almost break my fingers. I think he has all the tools to be a good NFL prospect. If he has a great year like Russel did last year he could even supplant Brohm as the #1 QB on draft boards, but I don't think he has the talent around him to do it. Woodson is legit, but I think he will struggle at times with the dominating D of the SEC and lack of top tier talent around him on offense.
Danny Wuerffel was a nice guy and so is Tebow. WHat i'm wondering is can he excel with that crap o line he has.
Semper Fidelis
La Illaha Illa Shaitan
Old 08-30-2007, 10:05 AM   #111
coolrazer
is actually Eric Berry.

Kentucky is the dark horse of the SEC this season.
It just shows how strong we are as a conference though. Kentucky, an 8 win team from last season and a bowl winner over former top 5 Clemson, is number 5 in their division.

ΦΚΨ
coolrazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:32 AM   #112
Evil_Wayz
Malevolence Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrazer View Post
Kentucky is the dark horse of the SEC this season.
It just shows how strong we are as a conference though. Kentucky, an 8 win team from last season and a bowl winner over former top 5 Clemson, is number 5 in their division.
I'd like to see a strong UK squad, top the bottom it makes the SEC better. But not good enough to beat UF.
Semper Fidelis
La Illaha Illa Shaitan
Old 08-30-2007, 12:02 PM   #113
CollegeBoy
He who wonders

As much as I hate to say it, I think he will have a good out of conference season, but once he gets into conference play I think he will be hurt by week 3. Scrambling ability is good if you have a crap o-line, but there is only so much you can do before that outside linebacker lies you on your back.

So, anyone know what the point spread will be in Starkvegas tonight? For I am filling an upset

Get well Flamethrower
Old 08-30-2007, 01:12 PM   #114
coolrazer
is actually Eric Berry.

MSU is getting 19 points.

ΦΚΨ
coolrazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:56 PM   #115
pantzaroff16

haha... did someone just imply that MSU will upset lsu?
Old 08-30-2007, 04:38 PM   #116
Evil_Wayz
Malevolence Personified

Quote:
haha... did someone just imply that MSU will upset lsu?
If Crooms upsets LSU he will have job security for the next five years.

Not gonna happen, MSU only wins three games a year.
Semper Fidelis
La Illaha Illa Shaitan
Old 08-30-2007, 04:47 PM   #117
pantzaroff16

didnt a mississippi team beat bama last year? hmm...

I'll get back to you guys later after i watch my tigers and drink a few. screw homework my friends' have a bigscreen that is calling my name.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:15 PM   #118
CollegeBoy
He who wonders

Quote:
didnt a mississippi team beat bama last year? hmm...

I'll get back to you guys later after i watch my tigers and drink a few. screw homework my friends' have a bigscreen that is calling my name.
Yeah and a coach got fired shortly, after which we hired your savior.

19 points is rather low, I would have assigned at least 27.

Get well Flamethrower
Old 08-30-2007, 08:33 PM   #119
PeYToN-SS
EKK Soldier

Send a message via ICQ to PeYToN-SS Send a message via AIM to PeYToN-SS Send a message via Yahoo to PeYToN-SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrazer View Post
MSU is getting 19 points.
I hope you meant all season.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:42 PM   #120
pantzaroff16

27? thats a pretty accurate assumption you made then isnt it?

If you didn't think lsu was legit before, hopefully you won't make that mistake again. The only other team I respect is Florida. Even if we beat them I'll respect them because they've earned it.

Just in case you failed to watch the game.. it was 45-0.