pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > General Forums > New Paintballers

Old 11-17-2007, 09:44 PM   #1
fallenwarrior64
Kendall Rooney

New Commander Seeking Advice

Hey everyone. I live in Missouri and I am the commander of a six man woodsball team. Now we have practiced a few times and my team seems to be following my direction but I am worried about how I can get them to actually treat me like a commander on the field. We are all friends and I dont want this to ruin that.

My question is, how can I gain their respect and loyalty as a commander, but at the same time not getting them mad at me?
Old 11-17-2007, 10:19 PM   #2
wabango$
*sigh*

Send a message via AIM to wabango$ Send a message via MSN to wabango$
a fellow friend from Joplin =], is The Underground going out of buisness? i havent been there in a while.

i think you should just play it out as if no one has lead control over the team but at the same time let it be known what you say goes on the scenario. dont be stern, play it out as friends

Last edited by wabango$ : 11-17-2007 at 10:24 PM.
wabango$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:19 PM   #3
babustos
Registered Sexy Offender

Send a message via ICQ to babustos Send a message via AIM to babustos Send a message via MSN to babustos
Don't call yourself commander, call yourself conquistador or something cool of the sort. But really your question is more a universal question than a paintball question. Just be mature about things and make it more of a democracy.
Mark 10:27
For with God all things are possible.

DP FUSION
07 PE ASA
BLUE EGG 2
68/45 AIR AMERICA
FREE AGENT COVER
Boo!
babustos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:35 PM   #4
fallenwarrior64
Kendall Rooney

LOL, thanks for that babustos. Maybe I will go with conquistador.....

The only reason that I am calling myself a commander is that we are treating our team as a military unit. We talked it over and designated myself as the commander. Also, I think I am not going to go all gun ho about it at first by just asking and suggesting what they should do until they gain my respect.

And I am not sure if Underground is going, pun intended, underground. I dont like the field and I dont know how many people go there reqularly. Also, if you want to play sometime, send me a PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:47 PM   #5
babustos
Registered Sexy Offender

Send a message via ICQ to babustos Send a message via AIM to babustos Send a message via MSN to babustos
Well another thing that should be considered is what do you actually gain from it? Serving as a "military unit" won't get you anywhere unless you do scenario tournaments or other events of the sort.
Mark 10:27
For with God all things are possible.

DP FUSION
07 PE ASA
BLUE EGG 2
68/45 AIR AMERICA
FREE AGENT COVER
Boo!
babustos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:37 PM   #6
wabango$
*sigh*

Send a message via AIM to wabango$ Send a message via MSN to wabango$
conquistador =o

hey just wondering, do you have any room on the team?

wabango$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:24 AM   #7
DSDM
Dark Side Donut Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenwarrior64 View Post
LOL, thanks for that babustos. Maybe I will go with conquistador.....

The only reason that I am calling myself a commander is that we are treating our team as a military unit. We talked it over and designated myself as the commander. Also, I think I am not going to go all gun ho about it at first by just asking and suggesting what they should do until they gain my respect.

And I am not sure if Underground is going, pun intended, underground. I dont like the field and I dont know how many people go there reqularly. Also, if you want to play sometime, send me a PM.
My advice from a purely military point of view.

set up a rank structure. a 15 man team would go like this;
commander (1)
squad leader (2)
team leader (4)
team members (9)

You fight as one team and your teammates are always prepared to replace their fallen leader. you should pick leaders based upon qualifications not friendship.

Your squads have a mission to support the commander's intent. Your teams have the mission to support the squad's mission.

The commander develops the goals
The Squad leaders develop their mission to support the commander's goals.
The team leader's carry out the squad's mission.
Example

Commander says I want the flag and the plan is,
Squad 1 is to raid and Squad 2 to support Squad 1.

Squad leaders develop their game plan with the team leaders. (The leader of each squad and team must be together for the development of the plan so each squad knows what to expect from the other).
Team leaders brief the plan to the team members.
The commander will act as a team member of either the supporting squad or the raiding squad and will take/give advice/directions from/to the squad leaders during the fight.

After the game you talk about what went right what went wrong. (no personal attacks)

Keep what went right fix what went wrong and continue to work as a unit.

A six man team would be set up with a commander, a team leader and 4 team members.
The fact that you can form an opinion only means that you are ninety-eight cents shy of making an educated guess.
DSDM's cleaning out after Christmas sale
Certified Master Airsmith
feedback

Last edited by DSDM : 11-22-2007 at 03:52 PM.
DSDM is offline   Reply With Quote